• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Life Rumor: EA and Nintendo to have meetings in March regarding NX.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oddduck

According to Nintendo Life, Electronic Arts is telling Nintendo that they need to do a better job at cultivating a sports audience on Nintendo platforms, if they want EA to aggressively support the NX. They're asking Nintendo to do more co-marketing partnerships with EA, they want NX EA Sports console bundles, and they want Nintendo to do a better job marketing NX to fans of sports games during major televised sporting events. Sony and Microsoft have spent tons of money advertising the PS4 and XB1 to sports fans.

However, according to information we've been given from a solid source, it would appear that Nintendo and EA are looking to put the past behind them and hop back into bed with one another. Nintendo Life contributor Liam Robertson - a man known to have his finger on several pulses and an ear permanently fixed to the ground - has been speaking to "several" staffers at EA and has discovered that the publisher is holding meetings with Nintendo next month and support for NX is a primary topic. He has now exclusively given us access to the correspondence he's been having with these sources.

It should come as no great shock to learn that EA has NX dev kits - we already know that they are out in the wild thanks to reports last year - but what is rather more surprising is Nintendo's eagerness to get the company back on board after the disappointment of the Wii U. EA was apparently one of the first publishers to get access to NX development hardware, and from the information we've been given, Nintendo is citing EA as a key ally when it comes to making its next console a success.

The sources claim that multiple meetings are lined up for March, and that EA has been discussing several points with Nintendo relating to marketing. These meetings will apparently decide how much support EA - or specifically, its EA Sports arm - will be giving Nintendo in the near future. The publisher understandably wants "a detailed plan" on how Nintendo intends to win over sports fans with NX hardware - something it failed to do with Wii U.

EA is keen to learn how Nintendo intends to build up a large enough "sports" audience on NX, as this was apparently one of the key reasons for the publisher abandoning Wii U - it simply wasn't seen as the console of choice for followers of sports.

EA is being quite bold and is asking Nintendo to spend more advertising dollars during televised sporting events like NFL games, NBA games, MLB games, World Cup matches and the World Series in order to claim this audience. The publisher is citing the fact that both Sony and Microsoft spend a large portion of cash during such events, and that EA's titles are given prominence in promotional campaigns.

Another point of contention involves hardware bundles. Traditionally, Nintendo doesn't bundle EA games with its consoles - unlike Microsoft and Sony. According to sources within EA, this is actually seen as something of an insult, and the company will be asking Nintendo to consider shipping NX consoles with leading EA Sports titles, such as FIFA and Madden. While this might smack of arrogance, it's a tactic which has worked well on rival hardware, so there's definitely logic to EA's reasoning.

Finally, there's the topic of applications. Sources claim that during a December meeting between EA and Nintendo executives, an EA exec "criticized Wii U for not having entertainment apps for MLB.TV, NBA, WWE Network, NHL Gamecenter Live, and the NFL". The PlayStation 4 has all of those applications, and EA feels that this is key reason for the machine's success among sports fans. The demand here is that Nintendo ensures NX is able to run such apps, or offer similar functionality to entice sports fans.

Source: Nintendo Life

BY2K

Membero Americo
Nintendo to have discussions with Third-Parties about their next system?
Third-Parties having said system's devkits?

YOU DON'T SAY.

Although the bundle thing is interesting, I'm not sure it would benefit either EA or Nintendo. Can't hurt to try, I guess.

Oregano

It's not worth it for Nintendo to bundle Fifa or Madden when they're just a roster update to the previous years game.

I didn't miss them on Wii U, but I know they're an important partner to have so it's best to get them on board especially with them having Madden, FIFA, and Star Wars.
I do imagine getting them back will be expensive, though so I hope it's worth it and they get decent versions of each new yearly installment

According to sources within EA, this is actually seen as something of an insult, and the company will be asking Nintendo to consider shipping NX consoles with leading EA Sports titles, such as FIFA and Madden.

How would this even work when MS has co-marketing for EA Sports games?

"You have to do more to cultivate a sports audience on your platform."

"Okay, then how about doing that with EA Sports titles?"

"No, you have to cultivate the audience for sports titles without having our sports titles."

I get that they're asking them to spend on advertising during sporting events, I just found it funny.

Also, the idea that EA is "insulted" that Nintendo won't bundle their software is hilarious. When has EA given them a title worth bundling in the last, say, decade?

Trago

Damn, come to think of it, Nintendo don't do hardware bundles with sports titles. Seems like an obvious setback, but Nintendo gonna Nintendo.

The fact that they're having meetings is better than nothing I guess.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
EA, listen...listen close:

Reboot SSX

Use the colorful graphics of the past. No grittiness, no cliffs to fall off--just colorful riders, huge fireworks, great graphics, and snowboarding.

It would be a perfect fit.

Nibel

Y'all give EA shit for the supposed 'unprecedented partnership' with the Wii U but I can't blame them for what happened - at all. This was totally on Nintendo and I can't imagine them trying to build a sports fanbase on the NX by doing all the things EA wants them to do/things that cost a lot of money.

Duderz

Banned
It will be interesting to see if Nintendo is even interested in catering to the demographic in question in the article.

Seriously. Maybe during the N64 / early GameCube days. But sports fans on Nintendo systems are long gone, and it would be a waste for Nintendo to actively try and get them back.

Reboot SSX

Use the colorful graphics of the past. No grittiness, no cliffs to fall off--just colorful riders, huge fireworks, great graphics, and snowboarding.

Whatever happened to all those actually fun "sports" games that were arcadey???

The good old days.

NateDrake

"You have to do more to cultivate a sports audience on your platform."

"Okay, then how about doing that with EA Sports titles?"

"No, you have to cultivate the audience for sports titles without having our sports titles."

I get that they're asking them to spend on advertising during sporting events, I just found it funny.

Also, the idea that EA is "insulted" that Nintendo won't bundle their software is hilarious. When has EA given them a title worth bundling in the last, say, decade?

Probably Tiger Woods PGA for Wii with Motion+.

VariantX

Nintendo needs to do whatever it takes to get them on board more for star wars than EA sports games. A console bundle with EA sports games now can pay off later by fostering an audience more open to buying games from people other than Nintendo.

If Nintendo can't get DICE excited about the hardware this relationship is dead within two years. Garden Warfare 2 with some Mario themed exclusive content as a launch title would make a lot of sense.

Trago

Y'all give EA shit for the supposed 'unprecedented partnership' with the Wii U but I can't blame them for what happened - at all. This was totally on Nintendo and I can't imagine them trying to build a sports fanbase on the NX by doing all the things EA wants them to do/things that cost a lot of money.

Maybe Nintendo could help do their part and bring back some of their sports IP's to turn some heads. 1080 and Wave Race.

Why bother?

If NX is successful and there is the chance to sell sports games than EA will come.

Working to try to push games that haven't been popular before with no guarantee of future support seems like wasted money.

How many more people would have bought a 3DS if it had regular updates of Fifa and Maddox?

A little late for that no?

At most they'll have maybe a FIFA port or something like that.

Why bother?

If NX is successful and there is the chance to sell sports games than EA will come.

Working to try to push games that haven't been popular before with no guarantee of future support seems like wasted money.

How many more people would have bought a 3DS if it had regular updates of Fifa and Maddox?

Then the NX won't be a success since FPS, Western RPG and Open World are what's popular right now and those genre aren't popular. Nintendo absolutely has to do something about it.

EA I do believe had dev kits since late last year but that was only a rumor. They were talking about NX development interest around the same time the WSJ article was posted.

I hear you but I do think EA could and should of handled the Mass Effect port better, EA were charging Wii U owners for Mass Effect 3 when in close proximity of release, 360/PS3 could buy the trilogy box set for the same price

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Nintendo's first-party sports games (Ken Griffey MLB, Kobe Bryant NBA) instantly outsold any EA sports games though.

Mikey Jr.

Dunno man, I just do not see there being any sort of sports audience a Nintendo platform, even if they do spend a ton of money.

What ever chance Nintendo had back in the day has long since evaporated.

That's a good point that I've never really thought about, that Sony and MS put so much more effort into courting EA than Nintendo does. Of course EA would be flaky.

It would be nice for Nintendo to leverage their stake in the Mariners into some software again. It's been a long time since Ken Griffey Jr. Baseball.

- Ken Griffey Jr. Hall of Fame Baseball
- King Felix's Strike Zone (featuring "Fix your goddamn hat" mechanic)
- Fernando Rodney's Crossbow Training (also featuring "Fix your goddamn hat" mechanic)

Yes I know Rodney's on the Padres now, shut up

Probably Tiger Woods PGA for Wii with Motion+.

Actually that's a pretty good example, nice catch.

Reboot SSX

I'd just take SSX Tricky HD at this point.

Reboot SSX

EA/Nintendo unite to bring me SSX On Tour 2016
and I'll day one it. Promise you that.

Malus

I don't care about EA but them having dev kits since last year is another twig to throw on the 'NX home console releasing this year' fire. Of course having their full support would be good for NX sales.

KingV

I'm sure you really have to twist Nintendos arm to get them to want two of the most popular series in video gaming on their system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom