• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo looking into games that support two Wii U controllers

totowhoa

Banned
Finding a way to get two controllers in use is a must. That will allow for local play... and more players via the internet.

I wouldn't ever buy a third controller for this thing anyway. If they initially made this machine thinking that there would be no way to use two controllers, then they probably weren't concerned with the idea of having a controller so cheap that anybody could go out and buy two or three extras for family gaming or parties. These things are gonna cost big time

Epcott

Here's the thing that bugs me...
People will buy the console with the impression you can use 4 of these Wii U controls at once (or at least 2 at once), unless Nintendo makes it clear in every ad they have for the thing.

For Nintendo to say they're "looking into it", well... it seems like that would be one of the first things Nintendo's R&D would have considered when developing it in the first place. It seems backwards. Or maybe it's genius!

Oh man, I can see the headlines now "Teen bludgeons his little brother to death for not sharing the Wii U controller... when gaming goes wrong"

(^_^) instant publicity!

All jokes aside, hopefully they'll give us an update in time for TGS (if they decide to go).

jasonng said:
classic_pro_photo.jpg

Agreed. For them to push how much innovation this new hardware can bring, it wouldn't make sense at all for the console to have limits on the U controllers.

I hope they create a classic controller that doesn't require a wii remote to function. Call it "Classic Controller U"

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
So enabling two controllers is an "interesting idea"? It's fucking common sense and pretty much expected, I think.

I love this picture, let's quote it again.

I do wonder though, what does this mean for controller assignment. IIRC, Wii Remotes have been strictly Bluetooth, so I'm assuming this Wii U controller doesn't count then, right?

CrankyJay

Banned
Madden: Each team gets one U controller...playbook is visible only on the U screen for each team. Stylus can be used to draw custom routes. Book it.

CrankyJay said:
Madden: Each team gets one U controller...playbook is visible only on the U screen for each team. Stylus can be used to draw custom routes. Book it.
This seems so obvious, otherwise how would you play Madden on it. One person gets the cool controller, and the other has to use the fucking Wii Remote?

if any of this is true that the console can only handle one of these U Screens then it must be a power issue the console is not strong enough it needs more ram or something else.

Fighters, Sports, FPS, all kinds of games could at least use two of these to have some really nice local multi

It will never affect Lonely GAF :(

ElFly said:
Does bluetooth even have the bandwidth to drive the wiiu controller?
It shouldn't for pushing through the video and audio and that's why I assume it isn't, but I'm curious what this means for "controller assignment". It's starting to get messy.

Josh7289

This has me very hesitant about the console. Nintendo should clear this up right away, because it's really something that's going make or break the console as a whole.

If it's not possible for a technical reason Nintendo should just tell everyone now before they get their hopes up.

Stumpokapow said:
300 posts. :)

Cool! Almost there.

I don't think I'd mind too much getting locked out of E3 right now. Not much has interested me. Nintendo has me intrigued, but its things like this... the lack of solid information at the moment that doesn't give me much to go on.

Shorty

Banned
Josh7289 said:
This has me very hesitant about the console. Nintendo should clear this up right away, because it's really something that's going make or break the console as a whole.

If it's not possible for a technical reason Nintendo should just tell everyone now before they get their hopes up.
http://www.computerandvideogames.co...nsole-and-controller-wont-be-sold-separately/
We asked a company spokesperson at the firm's VIP stand at E3 2011 in Los Angeles today about the price of each item. He told us that there would only be one bundled RRP, adding: "Both the controller and the console will be sold as one unit. You won't be able to buy the controller alone."

BertramCooper said:
It's good to see they're looking into it, at least.

For a company like Nintendo that has consistently supported local multiplayer - even as the rest of the industry began favoring online multiplayer - this seems like something that they definitely need to address.

Also, they'd be losing out on a ton of potential revenue if there's no reason to buy another touch screen controller. That has to be a concern for them as well.

Thankfully, there's still a lot of time before launch.
It certainly is a limiting deal if only one can work at once. That would just suck.

But I also think this controller has a pretty big focus on multiplayer with the way the demos they've shown have been designed

rpmurphy

Josh7289 said:

It will still support traditional MP. Now it will be that + one (or two).

iceatcs

rpmurphy said:
If they're doing two, does that mean then two Wii U controllers plus four Wii Remotes or 2+3?
It is depend how many channel in the console system. For example PS3 have seven channels therefore you can use up to 7 controllers - I think FIFA will work up to 7 players locally.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Epcott said:
For Nintendo to say they're "looking into it", well... it seems like that would be one of the first things Nintendo's R&D would have considered when developing it in the first place. It seems backwards. Or maybe it's genius!
Yeah, they've already done every bit of research necessary.

We'll eventually find out the full extent of what Nintendo already knows.

GitarooMan said:
This seems so obvious, otherwise how would you play Madden on it. One person gets the cool controller, and the other has to use the fucking Wii Remote?

Don't knock Wii remote controlled Madden. It's awesome.

It's the Gameplay and featureset that Sucks in Wii Madden.

FrankieWVU

Neo Member
Maybe I watched it wrong, but didn't I see an official Nintendo demo video where they had four WiiU controllers at once. Not sure if they all had video however.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Disappointing that they are not going for 4 standard controllers. Nintendo has always supported local multi.

HUGE flaw if it cant support 4.
wiimote option for some games is nice, but it should not be the only way to do local multi

rpmurphy

iceatcs said:
It is depend how many channel in the console system. For example PS3 have seven channels therefore you can use up to 7 controllers - I think FIFA will work up to 7 players locally.
Yeah, I guess it also depends whether they share the same band too. If they aren't, then 2+4 would be plausible.

BrhysH

They would have to have a controller with multiple buttons and two analog sticks to get the thrid party support they talk about.

I'm sure that they'll release a classic Wii-u controller...unless Gamecube controllers still work.

ampere

Mama Robotnik said:
Well, two is better than one obviously.

But the missed potential of Wii U being unable to support the expected four controllers is staggering. Imagine:

-Four player 3D four swords, with each controller guiding an individual Link and the TV providing either clues or an overlay of the dungeon - could have some AMAZING Portal 2 esque co-op here.

-Four player Mario Kart, again with the TV providing a map of the track.

-Four people controlling individual Pikmin tribes, while the main TV highlights treasures unearthing, or terrain deformation through earthquakes, or freakish weather conditions, or an immigration of monsters.

This is me just throwing ideas out, hoping that Nintendo solve the multiplayer problem and give us four simulataneous controllers per system. Ah well, its nice to want things.
I'm wondering if a game like 4 swords could just stream lower res to take care of technical limitations. Stream with DS quality graphics when playing with 4 people. Sure it'd be technically complicated to design, but it seems plausible to me if they intended to accomplish 4 Wii U controllers playing on a single console.

And if they actually figure out online this gen, I would personally be less bummed about games using 1 Wii U controller per system.

Shorty said:
Well, damn. That settles that issue for now.

AlphaTwo00 said:
I love this picture, let's quote it again.

I do wonder though, what does this mean for controller assignment. IIRC, Wii Remotes have been strictly Bluetooth, so I'm assuming this Wii U controller doesn't count then, right?

The Console probably supports 5+ connections natively.

TheUnknownForce said:
Maybe they can have 3DSs be used for certain experiences in leu of multiple Wii U controllers?

That's a very expensive solution and not guaranteed to work at all.

ampere

TheUnknownForce said:
Maybe they can have 3DSs be used for certain experiences in leu of multiple Wii U controllers?
They have to be working on some 3DS-WiiU compatibility, I'd be very surprised if not

KrawlMan

bdizzle said:
How about everyone, you know, WAIT until more details come out before screaming how much it sucks.

Well I won't scream about how much it sucks...but that is some serious buzz kill if true.

KrawlMan

Zombie James said:
Mail it back to Nintendo for repair or replacement? Seriously, if you can't buy one in a store what other option is there?

That's true...I'm hoping theres some miscommunication going on here. Maybe they mean that you can't buy the Wii U w/out the controller, not the other way around? I'm reaching for straws here :/

Stumpokapow said:
what if your wii breaks

The Wii isn't a controller. Controllers aren't necessarily what I would call expendable, but through wear and tear many get replaced over the lifetime of a console. I baby my equipment, but not everybody else does, and Nintendo can't very well expect that to be the case with the wealth of users that they are hoping to gather.

Josh7289

Shorty said:
Welp, this console is now 50% dead to me.

yeah youarealreadydead.jpg whatever but this is really disappointing.

All these fun gameplay ideas going through my head for multiple Wii U controllers, suddenly dashed. It's really just sad.

Without exaggeration, and saying this as a Nintendo fan, this is one of the dumbest decisions the company has ever made.

Unless there's a legitimate technical reason for it. And if there is, they really should explain it right now. Or some third party should. Anyone.

Plinko said:
What if it breaks?
What. The. Fuck. If a controller breaks you would have to buy an entirely new system? I refuse to believe that. Controllers have an infinitely greater chance of breaking due to drops etc. that not being able to go to your local store and pick a new one up is such a dealbreaker that its not even worth looking at the console until it falls below 200 bucks.

Tron 2.0

TheExecutive said:
What. The. Fuck. If a controller breaks you would have to buy an entirely new system? I refuse to believe that. Controllers have an infinitely greater chance of breaking due to drops etc. that not being able to go to your local store and pick a new one up is such a dealbreaker that its not even worth looking at the console until it falls below 200 bucks.
They can repair it, I'm sure.

Top Bottom