• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Massive Leak #2 : (source code Zelda3, source code Star Fox, Mario Kart Prototype, much more...)

caffeware

Banned
1595613350569.png

>SUPER DONKEY (DK REIMAGENING WITH RAYMAN LIKE ANIMATION)
>YOSHI ISLAND BETAS
>NEW MINIGAMES, BABY DESIGN, SPRITES FOR GIANT BABY BOWSER, AND ADULT MARIO
>STAR FOX 2 BUILDS
>AN ENTIRE ZOO OF DISCARDED CHARACTERS, AND A HUMAN WOMAN
>MARIO WORLD BETA SHIT
>MECHA BOSSES, MARIO 3 STYLE SPRITES AND WORLDS, ENTIRE NEW OVERWORLD, YOSHI REDESIGNS, DIFFERENT SPRITES FOR MARIO LUIGI DOING THE FINGER, BOWSER SLAV SQUATTING AND UNUSED ENEMIES.
>HIGH QUALITY ANIMATIONS OF 2D LINK AND MARIO
>LOW POLY 3D MODELS, INCLUDING A CROC LIKE YOSHI AND SKINNY LINK
>HOCKEY RPG GAME FINAL BUILD
>PROTOS OF CASTLEVANIA 4 SGHOULS&GHOSTS ALESTE AXELAY GOEMON PARODIUS (No i do not know how to get to them im tarded)
>SLEEPING KID GAME
>LUIGI IN MARIO 64
>ULTRA MARIO BROTHERS WAS THE OG NAME
>BETA LEVELS AND TEXTURES
>ZELDA MAPS FROM PROMO IMAGES
>ZELDA BETA ENEMIES (octorok, stalfos, golden knight)
>ZELDA FULL RES RENDERS FOR ITEMS BOX ART ETC
>MARIO 64 FULL RES RENDERS AND TEXTURES
>F ZERO UNCOMPRESSED VOICE FILES,
>STAR FOX 64 UNCOMPRESSED VOICE FILES
>MORE RENDERS (WAVE RACE 64)
>WARIO LAND 4 UNCOMPRESSED SOUND FILES AND MUSIC
>HIGH RES ZLEDA ART
>POTENTIAL SOURCE CODES FOR SOME GAMES, (UNCERTAIN)
>BETA POKEMON BUILD D/P
>BETA SOUNDTRACK, AND POKEMON DESIGNS
>HAMTAROOOOOOO
>MARIO KART 64 BETA MAP
>SM64 UNCOMPRESSED SOUNDTRACK
(UNCERTAIN)
>ETERNAL STAR ORIGINAL RESOLUTION (PROBABLY FAKE)
>COMERCIAL VIDEOS, BOX ART
>NEW VM TO BUILD COMPLETE THESE PROJECTS WITH THE RIGHT LIBRARIES
TELL ME WHAT I FORGOT AND CALL ME A FAG

Yoshi's Island started development as a game called Super Donkey which was a reboot of the DK franchise starring some guy with a big nose and goggles (possibly Stanley), developed in house by Nintendo
Game continues development until Nintendo decides to go with Rare's prototype for DKC (unseen currently)
This prototype is shelved until they decide to reuse it for a Yoshi game and market it as a sequel to Mario World

StarFox
1595618123059.png

Mario

1595620599709.png
MSnAoOk.gif
Y1HPRoN.gif

Zelda 2 SNES
1595622421261.png
g4BTY15.gif

Zelda 3 SNES: ALTTP Beta
1595627216981.png

Mario Kart 64 Prototype
1595646439527.png

Others

Super Mario 64 and OoT Source Leaked!

Last edited:

stranno

Idk about the rest, but Nitro SDK Ensata is pretty old. In fact, it was the first public DS emulator ever, some months before the first version of Martin Korth's No$GBA.

It only emulates GoldenEye: Rogue Agent, so not a big deal anyway.

Edit: It seems that EXPERiENCE only leaked the EnSaTa (1.3c & 1.4d) emulator back in the day (July 2006), not the full SDK.

Last edited:

Jeeves

So is there much that can be done with source code that can't be done with ROM hacks, or datamining, besides porting the games to other hardware?

caffeware

Banned
So is there much that can be done with source code that can't be done with ROM hacks, or datamining, besides porting the games to other hardware?
Source code is much easier to work with to modify a game. If you manage to compile it that is.

porting to other hardware is very limited. Source code is in assembly 65816. Only one obscure Apple comp used that cpu besides the snes.

SuperGooey

This is exciting! Those early Yoshi's Island and Zelda 3 sprites are awesome! Can't wait to see what is revealed in Super Mario RPG's source code.

00_Zer0

The way this was obtained could taint the whole community. While the findings are facinating if these assets end up in romhacks then people are no better than the hackers who stole this by downloading said romhacks/prototype. If someone legitimately owned said prototypes then they would have a right to release it online, but this is a different situation altogether.

I know Nintendo would disagree, but I believe there is a legitimate community of emulation developers and rom hackers that work with what's legally available on legitimate backups of their own games. Same with developers like Dolphin emulator, they legitimately and legally forged a pathway to emulating GameCube and Wii games without leaked documents or illegally copying source code. That's why the Dolphin team said recently they would never use the Wii OS source code dump from these same hackers. By doing so Nintendo would take them down in an instant.

I am not a holier than thou type of guy, because I back up my own stuff,and use emulators all the time, but this is a step too far, and if used improperly could take down a legitimate community.

LarknThe4th

This whole leak saga has been amazing to witness, this is by far the biggest one yet

Like fuck Yoshi's Island being a DK game originally is huge!

We NEVER get this insight into those internal halls at Nintendo

Also love that DK Sprite, they should have used it somewhere else, it's cool as hell!

CamHostage

The way this was obtained could taint the whole community. While the findings are facinating if these assets end up in romhacks then people are no better than the hackers who stole this by downloading said romhacks/prototype. If someone legitimately owned said prototypes then they would have a right to release it online, but this is a different situation altogether.

Yeah, I get you, I'm not going to be able to stop myself from digging into all of this material because there are fascinating things in this archive, but I really wish there was more legit interest in preserving the history of videogames to encourage companies to share or catalog this material, rather than hackers being the heroes. These pieces belong in a museum or in a book or in an archive disc or something (we need our own Criterion Collection or even AGFA,) but instead they get stuffed into a dusty old cabinet and nobody is meant to ever touch or see them. So god bless and goddamn the thieves, I guess...

Sad that we can't behave and enjoy, but this is why we can't have nice things...

Last edited:

Chittagong

Gold Member
This leak is absolutely enormous. Although it was obtained in an objectable way, I do believe it is of incredible value that we get to better understand how Nintendo’s masterpieces happen. I used to work at Club Nintendo when Yossy Island just popped up one day out of seemingly nowhere. We had absolutely no idea it had existed for a long time as a potential Donkey Kong game. Mad.

What’s this talk about Zelda 3? Is there a lost NES Zelda somewhere or what?

I know Nintendo would disagree, but I believe there is a legitimate community of emulation developers and rom hackers that work with what's legally available on legitimate backups of their own games. Same with developers like Dolphin emulator, they legitimately and legally forged a pathway to emulating GameCube and Wii games without leaked documents or illegally copying source code. That's why the Dolphin team said recently they would never use the Wii OS source code dump from these same hackers. By doing so Nintendo would take them down in an instant.

I am not a holier than thou type of guy, because I back up my own stuff,and use emulators all the time, but this is a step too far, and if used improperly could take down a legitimate community.

Imagine if it's Nintendo intentionally poisoning the well. These leaks don't hurt them much, but could have bigger consequences for the legit emu scene as you say. Not sure they're that Machiavellian, but they are pretty litigious... :pie_thinking:

Hudo

I wholeheartedly agree.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
fascinating the politics of leaking here. personally i tend to side with creators. generally the creators themselves only have a tenuous "ownership" of the problem. i'm not sure many devs would even be allowed to keep personal copies of the IP they are working on, since it is property of the company, not them.

also i understand the reason behind Nintendo's copyright strikes - they have a legal obligation to protect their property. i don't think the company is scum for doing that, especially considering that other companies issue copyright strikes for all kind of bullshit reasons (bad opinion of a game). Nintendo knows they are sitting on a treasure trove and you can see how much they respect it.

still it's fun to see! i love seeing works in progress. for a fan, it's probably the best thing you could hope for. more of the thing you love.

Caffeine

YLckkYc.png

uq39YWL.png

more is leaking
List of games:

1080 - 1080 Snowboarding
cba - Custom Robo
cba2 - Custom Robo 2
dm64 - Dr. Mario 64
forest - Animal Forest
mk64 - Mario Kart 64
wr64 - Wave Race 64
yoshi - Yoshi's Story
z_majora - Majora's Mask
z_ocarina - Ocarina of Time
z_ocarina2 - Ocarina of Time (Ura 64DD Expansion?)

alf717

Is this still all related to that huge iQue leak from a while back? If so why would Nintendo have given them so much data to hold on to?

Top Bottom