• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo may have many, many more Switch consoles planned.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Nintendo is definitely releasing the $200 Switch Lite handheld console on September 20th, and may release a higher-end console soon too, if rumors are to be believed. Its plans might even go beyond all that, however. The company is reportedly working on further updates beyond those models "to make the platform's lifecycle long," according to WSJ sources inside the company.

Sharp VP Katsuaki Nomura may have also revealed more about more about the display technology in the upcoming Switch(es). He said it will supply its IGZO display panels to a videogame client assumed to be Nintendo, according to an earlier WSJ report.

Those panels are used in Sharp's high-end 8K TVs and Aquos smartphones like the dual-notch R2. The Switch Lite will have a 720p screen, but the rumored higher-end version could pack in more pixels. It's not clear if both or one of the new models will use Sharp's IGZO display tech.

Nintendo has already said that it will only release one console, the Switch Lite, ahead of the holidays. However, it could unveil further plans at the September 20th launch or make announcements later on. At the moment, demand for Switch consoles seems unstoppable, and the Switch Lite should give it a big Christmas sales gift. Any other consoles would just put a bow on it.

Fake

giphy.gif

lo zaffo

I don't really know how Nintendo EPD software development division can eat this hardware any longer.

Good thing many games (1st party included) have dynamic resolution so that (maybe?) games on better hardware could havebetter resolution overall.
But this straTegy could be succesful for maintaining longer Switch life.
Possible revisions:
- iSwitch (Switch version of DSi / N3DS upgrade)
- Switch 3D
- Switch pocket (even smaller than lite, digital only, maybe more internal memory)

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
You've got it backwards, they probably love not having to spend a fuckload of money on high end normie simulators like other western devs or Sony/MS first party studios. And the games sell like absolute crazy, so it really is the best of both worlds.

You do understand that developers don't spend that money right?

Saber

Gold Member
Well, they do this for a time you know. DS and 3DS are proof. And since they want to reinforce the "portable" aspect of Switch, sounds reasonable they would try do the same thing with the other part(docked).

Last edited:
You do understand that developers don't spend that money right?

Yeah, it's the company money. Nintendo's first party studios are Nintendo. I don't understand what is your point here. Nintendo found a niche where they make ridiculous amounts of money with their games and they don't need a mega budget to get there, which means there isn't so much pressure. It's the perfect model.

Tygeezy

If you keep waiting for the final Switch revision, Nintendo's history tells that you'll be getting your Switch sometime after Nintendo's next console has been released.
I was going to wait for a switch pro, but it was clear it was getting delayed so I went ahead and got a switch a few months back. Great decision, I love the console.

The Snake

i just dont want a DSi situation where the console is the same gen but with exclusive titles

Most people will agree with this because they're locked out of unique software if they don't upgrade.

I agree because I hated owning a New 3DS and only like, two games taking advantage of it.

DESTROYA

We will see, I’m hopeful but have doubts “many,many” more will get released.
Maybe they we’re talking special themed consoles more so than upgraded/better hardware that people want for more performance.

FStubbs

If anything Switch 2, Super Switch, whatever the next gen Switch is, will probably launch 2022 and since we're about 40% or so through the life of the Switch, Nintendo is working on designing the next one - and playing with displays. My guess is it'll be a 1080p device in handheld mode but they're probably looking at 1440p, 4k, and maybe even 8K displays to do their due diligence.

DESTROYA

If anything Switch 2, Super Switch, whatever the next gen Switch is, will probably launch 2022 and since we're about 40% or so through the life of the Switch, Nintendo is working on designing the next one - and playing with displays. My guess is it'll be a 1080p device in handheld mode but they're probably looking at 1440p, 4k, and maybe even 8K displays to do their due diligence.
If it’s anything like today’s switch there is no way the screen will be 4K, if anything it would be a waste when portable,especially for gaming.
4K screens are power hogs so you wouldn’t want that anyway.

Last edited:

FStubbs

If it’s anything like today’s switch there is no way the screen will be 4K, if anything it would be a waste when portable,especially for gaming.
4K screens are power hogs so you wouldn’t want that anyway.

Most likely - but as I said, they may be doing their due diligence. They were probably playing around with the concepts for the Switch as far back as the Gamecube (GBA Player?) and the concepts for the Wii could date back to the NES era (Power Glove).

dolabla

I just want my Pro model. Too many good games about to come out and I'll be without a Switch until they announce it.

cryptoadam

Banned
also I am sure they will release Lite revision at some point and have new colors. Don't forget all the bundles and special editions. When BOTW2 launches they could have lite and OG special edition versions.

I could imagine by the end of Switch life time if you wanted every single iteration of the console and all colors you would probably have to buy 50 or more LOL.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
well shit. i was already about to buy that new one dreamcast guy reviewed. imma be really mad if they release a better one for the same price

PocoJoe

Banned
Now that they are going for multiple versions I hope they go all out for the pro version. Make it have everything and make it cost premium.

Switch already costs premium, should cost 199€ with these specs.

I would not bet on the Pro model to be anything significant on performance Wise.

They would have go to custom SoC instead of stock like they did on original switch, no gain even 50% of OG ps4 power.

And we already know that Nintendo rather sell cheap stuff for high profit than expensive stuff for less profit.

My bet is that we get max ~30% power increase and 50% price increase

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
Okay fine do whatever but make a new non Switch console around 2023 or 2024.

Zannegan

If "many, many" was changed to "several," I'd buy that. Given what they did with the Gameboy, DS, and 3DS lines, I'd say they have plenty of potential options:
  • Likely: a lighter than lite, pocketable Mini towards the end of the gen. Possibly a zero-bezel clamshell. More likely a Vita-like. Fixed controls. No docking.
  • Not completely unlikely: a late-gen, low-res XL aimed at older folks with a capacitive stylus and Brain Training 57 bundled in. Fixed controls. Dockable.
  • Hopefully: a 2020-2021 pro model that's the same size as the current Switch, but with no bezels and a 1080p screen. Joycons. Dockable.
And given that Nintendo likes to throw curve balls for no apparent reason:
  • Maybe: a 2020-2021 box console sold as a super dock, uses souped-up Switch internals. Plays games on its own. Docks with even "Non docking" handhelds (just charges and swaps save/game data). Pro Controller.
  • Never say never: a semi late-gen VR headset that just plays Switch games. Joycons. Non dockable (requires expensive dongle to dock w/ the super dock).

That's a new model every year until 2024 and next gen... or we could get none of that. You just never know with Nintendo.

Forever promising new, better hardware is a neat way to get a subset of people (such as myself) to never buy anything.

Which is why they straight up deny new models are coming three weeks before they're unveiled. Lol.

Last edited:

Rodolink

for the first time I skipped a Nintendo console on release. Was good decision. No Metroid, Bayonetta or true dedicated Zelda yet (I dont count BOTW that was WiiUs).
So ill keep waiting until the New Switch pro comes.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
good.

i will buy as many of them as possible :)

got an OG switch and have sold that in preparation for the new models coming. i'm torn on whether i should get a Lite or a V2.

if next year we get a new model then i'll do the same again. sell whatever one i have and get a new one. i do this with any console. sold my OG PS4 + XB1 for the PS4 Slim + XB1S.

Top Bottom