• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo now required by law to fix all joy-cons with drift problems in Europe free of charge, even when out of warranty

Draugoth

Gold Member
nintendo-joycon.jpg

Following an alert from the European Consumer Organisation (BEUC), the European Commission and EU consumer authorities (Network of Consumer Protection Cooperation (CPC) Authorities) contacted Nintendo to address a recurring technical problem with irresponsive controllers. Following this action, Nintendo has agreed to offer all consumers the right to repair for affected controllers of the “Nintendo Switch” gaming console free of charge, even beyond the legal guarantee. The joint action was led by the Greek Ministry of Development and Investments and the German Environment Agency, and coordinated by the European Commission.

Consumers using the Nintendo Switch console had reported to CPC authorities and consumer associations that they have been dealing with deterioration and a loss of control of the console. As the problem rendered controllers useless, consumers who could not repair them easily or free of charge were obliged to replace them, resulting in unnecessary electronic waste. As a result of the action, Nintendo agreed to offer and indicate clearly that defective Joy-Con controllers will be repaired without charge by Nintendo's repair centers, irrespective of whether this has been caused by a defect or by wear and tear, and even if the manufacturer's guarantee given by Nintendo has expired.

SeraphJan

What about Sony, both of my Dualsense had drifted less than 2 years, and my Dualshock 4s also drifted, these modern controller build quality are trash

I missed pre Dualshock 3 build quality, both of my Dualshock 3 which I frequently used for PC gaming had never drifted, and its more than 15 years of use. My Dualshock 1 which I mainly used for emulation is more than 25 years also fully functional.

I just can't stop to wonder, they did that with modern controller on purpose to force you to buy more, hope someone sue Sony too.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
That’s good, hope it leads to some hardware changes in future systems to prevent this from happening in the first place.

GymWolf

What about Sony, both of my Dualsense had drifted less than 2 years, and my Dualshock 4s also drifted, these modern controller build quality are trash

I missed pre Dualshock 3 build quality, both of my Dualshock 3 which I frequently used for PC gaming had never drifted, and its more than 15 years of use. My Dualshock 1 which I mainly used for emulation is more than 25 years also fully functional.

I just can't stop to wonder, they did that with modern controller on purpose to force you to buy more, hope someone sue Sony too.
But hey, look all the shitty gimmicks ds5 has, i trade that over build quality and battery life every day of the week.

TrueLegend

Been saying for long, Sixaxis controller was peak and DS5 sucks balls. How many games have astrobot level haptic.......hmmmm........FUCKING Zero. Currently Microsoft base controller is best one.....even elite 2 is shit with same thing that PS5 controller has....gimmicks. Gimmicks in exchange for build quality. All these companies should repair this drift nonsense.

Brigandier

Been saying for long, Sixaxis controller was peak and DS5 sucks balls. How many games have astrobot level haptic.......hmmmm........FUCKING Zero. Currently Microsoft base controller is best one.....even elite 2 is shit with same thing that PS5 controller has....gimmicks. Gimmicks in exchange for build quality. All these companies should repair this drift nonsense.
John Candy No GIF by Laff

nemiroff

Gold Member
even elite 2 is shit with same thing that PS5 controller has....gimmicks. Gimmicks in exchange for build quality. All these companies should repair this drift nonsense.
? wat. What gimmicks does the Elite 2 have..? Last I checked my two Elite 2 controllers they had no gimmicks whatsoever. MS need to up their QA though as I've had to replace both of them due to defect buttons (one "RB" and one "A" button).

SeraphJan

? wat. What gimmicks does the Elite 2 have..? Last I checked my two Elite 2 controllers they had no gimmicks whatsoever. MS need to up their QA though as I've had to replace both of them due to defect buttons (one "RB" and one "A" button).
The A button issue is real, many people have experienced this including me on brand new controllers. This problem literally killed my experience when I'm playing Nioh 2, since you need to hold A button to run. The running keep on shifting between run and walk, even if I pressed really hard (which hurts your hand if you hold it too long with force) still happens.

Last edited:

TrueLegend

The rumble...with high pitch. They know that shit and thats why they never note that as feature on official website. Those rumble motors compromise the build quality...it's the same with PS5. Those haptics are problem or to be precise their current implementation and installation in all controllers is a bane for controllers.

Rat Rage

It's very non-Nintendo-like to have developed the joyons with such a disaster of an analog stick :messenger_face_steam:

I demand an official apology from Nintendo of Japan!

ih9sop2odioniav3sz9e.gif

Elysion

Banned
Why don’t these companies use hall effect sticks in their controllers to prevent the drift issue? The Dreamcast had them all the way back in 1998, so they can‘t be that expensive, especially if the alternative is having to spend millions of dollars to fix or replace broken sticks anyways.

Top Bottom