• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo of America files brand new trademark for "Donkey Kong Jr."

Javier

Did a search and found nothing. Steal my banana hoard if old.

So I decided to check out the US Trademark website and found this:

http://www.trademarkia.com/donkey-kong-jr-86753797.html

It was filed just a month ago, under the following class: "Downloadable electronic game programs; downloadable electronic video game software; electronic game programs; electronic game software; video game programs; video game software".

The interesting thing about this is that the trademark is completely new. Back in the day Nintendo trademarked the character/game as "Donkey Kong Junior", but this is the first time we see the trademark with the shortened "Jr."

So what could this mean? Maybe he's getting a new game of his own? Secret DLC character for Smash? Or maybe they're bringing him back as a playable character in Mario Tennis Ultra Smash?

Rich!

Well, NOE filed a brand new trademark for Virtual Boy over a year ago and so far nothings happened.

Lunar15

Nintendo's first DeNA mobile game revealed!

Jokes aside, I would not be surprised if they tie him into the "Minis" franchise.

TBH, I think if it's anything, it would be a mobile game. My expectations are that part of Nintendo's mobile scheme will be to revive retro franchises into endless mobile games. It's the perfect venue for it.

qko

According to lore, isn't the DK we all know to wear the Red Tie, Donkey Kong Jr. himself?

Cranky Kong is the arcade DK?

Toxi

Banned
TBH, I think if it's anything, it would be a mobile game. My expectations are that part of Nintendo's mobile scheme will be to revive retro franchises into endless mobile games. It's the perfect venue for it.
F-Zero Mobile

Spend $0.99 for extra boost power on the final lap!

According to lore, isn't the DK we all know to where the Red Tie, Donkey Kong Jr. himself?

The lore is that DK Jr. is DKC DK's father.

But yeah, that lore is pretty much dead. The only real mention it gets anymore is in Smash Bros. trophies. I think Nintendo nixed the idea because it's easier to have DK be the star of all DK games.

F-Zero Mobile

Spend $0.99 for extra boost power on the final lap!

I actually think F-Zero on tablets would be a great idea. Have it be one of only a few launch games, have it be for free, base it on F-Zero GX, and it gets tons of exposure as people download the three (let's say) mobile games Nintendo put out.

EDIT: Seriously, I'd love that if a lot of their mobile initiative was to try and resuscitate dead/dying franchises. F-Zero, Pilotwings, Puzzle League, etc.

Lunar15

It's a new Donkey Kong Game by retro, but it's a first person shooter where you explore various environments and use DK jr.'s trademark scanning abilities to learn more about your surroundings and enemies.

Donkey Kong Jr Mobile game?
VdEelKQ.gif

andymcc

Banned
yes, which begs the question, how old is Mario?

Donkey Kong Country is a post-apocalyptic story set years after Mario and Bower's inevitable downfalls. The Mushroom Kingdom and Bower's armies wipe each other out and other factions now fight over the remains of the world for dominance.

Kouichi

Oh cool. A new Donkey Kong Jr. would be perfect for mobile.

A Donkey Kong Jr. announcement of any kind would get me so excited. I'd go bananas if he ended up in Smash.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Donkey Kong Country is a post-apocalyptic story set years after Mario and Bower's inevitable downfalls. The Mushroom Kingdom and Bower's armies wipe each other out and other factions now fight over the remains of the world for dominance.
007.jpg

The question is... what timeline is DK Jr. from?

NeonZ

According to lore, isn't the DK we all know to wear the Red Tie, Donkey Kong Jr. himself?

Only according to Donkey Kong 64. Otherwise, Jr would actually be the father of modern DK, rather than modern DK himself. Either way though, Cranky was always said to be the original DK. It doesn't matter though, since every remake of the original Donkey Kong also adds the red tie to DK there.

Kinsei

Banned
This could be really interesting if this is Retro's new game. I'd like to see what Retro would do with more vertical level design instead of horizontal.

Top Bottom