• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo of America files "reapplication" for Eternal Darkness trademark

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Nintendo of America on the 23rd of July filed/reapplied for a trademark regarding the Eternal Darkness franchise. It's a new filing and not a change to the prior trademark (serial number 77932350, filed in 2010). The application was entered in the Trademark Reporting and Monitoring System (TRAM) on the 26th of July.

Word Mark ETERNAL DARKNESS
Goods and Services IC 009. US 021 023 026 036 038. G & S: Computer game programs; computer game software; downloadable electronic game programs; downloadable electronic game software; electronic game programs; electronic game software; video game programs; video game software
Standard Characters Claimed
Mark Drawing Code (4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK
Serial Number 86017853
Filing Date July 23, 2013
Current Basis 1B
Original Filing Basis 1B
Owner (APPLICANT) Nintendo of America Inc. CORPORATION WASHINGTON 4600 150th Avenue NE Redmond WASHINGTON 98052
Attorney of Record Jerald E. Nagae, Reg No. 29,418
Type of Mark TRADEMARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE
Source: http://tsdr.uspto.gov/documentviewer?caseId=sn86017853&docId=APP20130726072557#docIndex=0&page=1

However, the earlier trademark saw its fifth and final ITU Extension Approval in December last year, so this new application could simply be a continuing measure. Some minor differences exist in terms of Goods & Services between the two marks, but nothing important. Anyway, there's obviously some interest from Nintendo about Eternal Darkness as I doubt they would be making yet another filing for it without. Hmm, maybe when Retro is done with Tropical Freeze...

Silky

Banned
Calling: Part of the first wave of downloadable GCN titles on Wii-U.

Don't give a fuck about Eternal Darkness, but Melee downloaded on mah Wii-U would be welcomed.

Nibel

That's insane!

iMRIEPnGvUb9y.gif

tesla246

Calling: Part of the first wave of downloadable GCN titles on Wii-U.

Don't give a fuck about Eternal Darkness, but Melee downloaded on mah Wii-U would be welcomed.

Reading this comment makes me a sad panda... have you played ED?
Really hope we get our long awaited ED 2. It was such a surpisingly, fresh and unique experience. Did not expect that out of it. Really amazing game.

McDougles

Okay then. Not sure if it means anything, but still, interesting news.

It's one phrase in a long list of identification that also includes "Computer game programs; computer game software; downloadable electronic game programs; electronic game programs; electronic game software; video game programs; video game software"

I apparently can't read between the lines and just got it.

ohlawd

I never played ED so a release on the eShop (we keep saying GC games on the Wii U eShop but is this shit even possible?) or HD remaster pls.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
"downloadable electronic game programs"

hmm, was that in the Trademark in the previous 4 or so filings?
The "downloadable" part is new, that wasn't in the G&S for the two earlier filings.

I'm going to assume this is a protective re-filing and not a "we're making a new one" refiling. If Shadow of the Eternals does ever actually come out, I'm sure Nintendo wants their legal team to be ready if Precursor tries to use Eternal Darkness in their marketing.

Alienous

Isn't that new 'Shadows of the Eternals' being made for the Wii U? Could this serve the purpose of being able to say "From the makers of..."?

Probably not.

Silky

Banned
Reading this comment makes me a sad panda... have you played ED?

One the most unpleasant and boring experiences I've had on the GCN. This is coming from someone who hails Geist as a masterpiece.

You think he gives a fuck about your question?

Well, I wouldn't say I didn't give a fuck. I don't mind explaining why. I was just using this news as a reach of something good coming to the Wii-U.

One the most unpleasant and boring experiences I've had on the Wii-U. This is coming from someone who hails Geist as a masterpiece.

Well, I wouldn't say I didn't give a fuck. I don't mind explaining why. I was just using this news as a reach of something good coming to the Wii-U.

How'd you play a gamecube game on the Wii U :O

sakipon

They really should use this IP for something. Come on Nintendo, people are begging for something daring and adult. Something to give us a break from the cat suit Mario and the GamePad horn.

Shauni

I loved the original Eternal Darkness, such a visceral experience. I didn't even know about this Shadows of the Eternals thing. I'm going to have to back that if there's any hope it'll match up with what SK did with ED.

They really should use this IP for something. Come on Nintendo, people are begging for something daring and adult. Something to give us a break from the cat suit Mario and the GamePad horn.

Serious question: who would develop it? Nintendo isn't exactly inclined to develop games of that kind in-house and Silicon Knights doesn't exist anymore.

I mean, I'd love a new Eternal Darkness game, but you don't want Eternal Darkness 2: developed by Double Helix Games, do you?

Hyoukokun

I loved the original Eternal Darkness, such a visceral experience. I didn't even know about this Shadows of the Eternals thing. I'm going to have to back that if there's any hope it'll match up with what SK did with ED.

I'm a bit mixed on the kickstarter. I loved the original, but I'm not sure that SK in its current state could recapture the feel. To be quite honest, I'd rather see Retro's take on the series.

tesla246

One the most unpleasant and boring experiences I've had on the Wii-U. This is coming from someone who hails Geist as a masterpiece.

I thought the different timelines and story, music and spells made for a good game, but too each his own. Funny how we think opposite of each other; although Geist had some neat ideas and the gameplay was really unique, I honestly think there is so much unrealized potentential within that game, couldve been much more. Also a bit repetitive and some frustrating moments ( especcially with bosses), however, I would certainly welcome a geist 2. An underrated game, but far from a masterpiece imho.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I wish something come up from this, but could it just be reactionary to Shadow of the Eternals development?

I hope not.

Believe! This, Agent, Last Guardian and FFXVersus in 2014/2015

Itshappening.gif

You forgot Shemnue 3 and Half Life 3! BELIEVE!

disco

As others have said, this is likely protecting the copyright or will be part of the Gamecube Virtual Console for Wii U.

oatmeal

Banned
I'd love an HD remake.

Give it to Dyack with a small team and let him see first hand why the game was good. Then he may be able to do something like taht again.

tesla246

It was a joke about the way he phrased his statement, sorry to offend you! Your question was perfectly fine.

Not offended in the slightest!

Now to be somewhat more on topic: secretly I hope shadow of the eternals becomes ed2 for wiiu exclusive and that nintendo finances it. That little video of shadow of the eternals left me craving more...much more.

Chojin

Looks like GC for Wii U VC is finally coming up to bat. I hope soon as there's so many GC games I missed out on.

Top Bottom