• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo of America says Metroid Prime 4 and "new Pokemon game" are 2018 titles

MoonFrog

Holy fuck if true.

Praise be!

But...I'm going to assume a delay is not unlikely and that perhaps NOA does not know the timetables as well as NCL :p.

Clov

2018 will be an amazing year for Nintendo if we get a new Fire Emblem, Metroid Prime 4, and a new Pokemon game around then. Here's hoping it works out.

I wouldn't. Not with the anime's progression as it is.

There is no way in hell they're jumping to a new device in the middle of a Pokémon generation. That is not happening and people need to stop expecting that to happen.

I mean, they wouldn't be though. The generation is going to end with USUM one way or another imo

Plum

Nintendo, outside of Zelda (though after 2014 it took 2 years and a near-final build for it to show again) and the panic Jab 2013 Direct has always been very coy about what they show off in their events. Instead of them having nothing to show I'd bet they had nothing they wanted to show. I'm in the believe camp with this one.

FZZ

Banned
I wouldn't. Not with the anime's progression as it is.

There is no way in hell they're jumping to a new device in the middle of a Pokémon generation. That is not happening and people need to stop expecting that to happen.

What if it ends up being Stars/Eclipse and they didn't release it this year since they didn't wanna hurt Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon sales in holiday?

Stranger things have happened, and this is the first time Pokemon is coming to a home console

🤔

Let's jmon regardless.

Hell yes

JMONNNNNNNNNN

Galang

Banned
I don't believe either, but then again I thought Xenoblade would be delayed for sure so.. strange things happen once or twice in a while

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I can't imagine that they'd have nothing to show at E3 2017 yet the game releases in 2018, unless it's December 2018. I hope I am wrong though.

DMONKUMA

okp66FD.gif

There is no way Metroid is coming out next year, if that was true, we would have seen some trailer, or CG trailer, or whatever at this past E3. no way

Well they did the same for Fire Emblem.

Though I'll believe it when I see it for both Metroid and Pokemon.

Neff

And I'm assuming Smash too. That's a fucking good-ass year 2 in the bag, especially if 3rd party want in on the action.

ZeoVGM

Banned
No way Metroid Prime is coming in 2018, it'll be the crown gem of 2019 without a doubt though. Pokemon 2018 is quite likely though.

It's likely the opposite. The Sun/Moon follow-up will be 2019 where as Prime will be their big fall 2018 title.

I'm not sure why people think Prime is years away. Other than Zelda, you really don't see Nintendo take years to put out their games from their announcement.

JoeM86

We got Black and White then the sequels. A year later we got X/Y

Your timelines are screwy

Generation 1: 3 years 9 months
Red & Green: Feb 1996
Blue: September 1996
Yellow: September 1998

Year Off: 1997

Generation 2: 3 years
Gold & Silver: November 1999
Crystal: December 2000

Year off: 2001

Generation 3: 3 years 10 months
Ruby & Sapphire: November 2002
FireRed & LeafGreen: January 2004
Emerald: September 2004

Years off: 2003, 2005

Generation 4: 4 years
Diamond & Pearl: September 2006
Platinum: September 2008
HeartGold & SoulSilver: September 2009

Year off: 2007

Generation 5: 3 years 1 month
Black & White: September 2010
Black 2 & White 2: June 2012

Year off: 2011

Generation 6: 3 years 1 month
X & Y: October 2013
Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire: November 2014

Year off: 2015

Generation 7:
Sun & Moon: November 2016
Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon: November 2017

Every generation has been longer than 3 years and every generation has had one year off. Having the next generation be next year would be massively unprecedented.

Pokemon, if they use the BOTW engine, my jaw will drop on the floor. It's got the perfect artistic style for Pokemon imo.

Temper expectations. That won't happen.

Who says it has to be a new generation? It could be an HD remake for all we know.

Because Pokémon is about connectivity and losing local connectivity with other games and segmenting the userbase is hands down the dumbest thing they could do.

They're not going to shift hardware until it's a generation built up for that hardware.

Mister Wolf

Nintendo and Bethesda are smart. Wish others would follow their example and not even speak on a game until its within a year of being finished.

Macka

There is no way Metroid is coming out next year, if that was true, we would have seen some trailer, or CG trailer, or whatever at this past E3. no way
It could be much further in development than we thought. Maybe they saw the backlash Ultra Sun and Moon received when announced for the 3DS, and so rushed to get a teaser together for Metroid Prime 4 so the same thing didn't happen with Samus Returns.

squidyj

Nintendo doesn't really announce games early. They're not SE.

Not seeing the skepticism.

My skepticism arises from the fact that they showed a splash screen and a guy saying "yeah, we're working on a pokemon game" respectively.

It reminds me of the people they brought out on stage at the original switch conference who didn't really have anything and for the most part still don't have anything.

Plum

FFVIIr, KH3, Breath of the Wild, The Last Guardian should have shown that even gameplay trailers aren't indicative of a near-future release date by now. Having an outsourced CGI trailer of Samus walking through some space station tells us nothing about the development progress of the game itself.

I think they honestly think both those titles will release in 2018. I think it's more likely than not that Prime 4 is pushed to 2019. New Pokemon is very possible (provided that said Pokemon is far from groundbreaking)

I can't imagine that they'd have nothing to show at E3 2017 yet the game releases in 2018, unless it's December 2018. I hope I am wrong though.

Again, Fire Emblem was announced for 2018 and we still haven't seen anything from it. Nitnendo has greatly shortened their announce -> launch schedules recently, with basically everything except for Zelda.

MP4 was likely in development as far back as January, and if they are using UE4 (which is 100% speculation) that can help immensely with development time. They likely didn't show any sort of footage because they don't want to distract from MSR coming this year.

I don't think we get a new generation of Pokémon next year as those come every three years. I think we get Pokémon Switch in November 2019 along with a cheaper model of Switch. We could see Metroid next year though, if it's farther along than it seems.

Renna Hazel

Dang, 2018 sounds like a pretty bad year for me. It should have been expected since 2017 has been amazing so far. I'll have to hope someone else picks up the slack a bit next year.

To the doubters who think that these games wont hit 2018.
We knew nothing of Mario Odessey until the Switch announcement trailer last October and even then it was a 5 second clip. And nothing offical until the January event.
Those games are probably well into development and hopefully we get a Direct early 2018 for both Metroid and Pokemon.

Top Bottom