• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo of America says Metroid Prime 4 and "new Pokemon game" are 2018 titles

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I don't think this was mentioned before? Mind, it is NoA, not Nintendo Japan.

VentureBeat said:
GamesBeat: For the rest of the year, what's the big message? Obviously Mario, but is there anything else?

Charlie Scibetta: Games. If you want to be able to play games and not have a dry spell between any of the big launches, we think Nintendo Switch is a good place to be. We have a nice drumbeat of first and third party. You'll never have to wait long.

Just as you get through a game and you're starting to put your head up, put the periscope out to see what else is out there, hopefully we'll have something right there for you. We've announced a nice lineup through this year, and next year we have some big games coming with Metroid 4. 2018 will be around Metroid, Kirby, Yoshi, new Pokemon game has been announced. We feel good about the lineup for this year and beyond.
GamesBeat: That cadence, that drumbeat, was that a very deliberate thing? To say, we're putting out a new platform, people should have a games reason to buy our system, you don't want to have these dry spells. That was a deliberate choice?

Charlie Scibetta: It was. We said that at launch. People were saying, why aren't there more games at launch? We said, we think we have a good amount at launch, but this is not the end of it. There will be great games coming every month for the rest of the year. We think that's a better way to do it than to front load it all on day one and then have three months where nothing comes out.
Source: https://venturebeat.com/2017/06/21/...ch-owners-happy-with-mario-and-more/view-all/

Fireblend

Banned
I'd be surprised it both make it, but we're getting Xenoblade this year so what do I know :p

Didn't the GameFreak dude say it would probably take them over a year? So Q4 2018 the earliest? Yeah I'm skeptic.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I actually figured this for both, Nintendo doesn't want to mention something no more than a year away and only chooses to show footage if they feel the time is right

Zedark

Well, that'd be hype for 2018 on Switch! If that pans out, then it seems they really can continue the current level of first party (IP) output.

Great, that is exactly what they needed. Hopefully we can add either an Animal Crossing or Super Smash to the mix also. We also have Fire Emblem for 2018 to add on top of the rest said in the OP.

Eolz

Would make sense to not show anything until Samus Returns 3DS.
Mini Direct just before its release maybe?

I have little doubt Pokemon would make it in 2018, but I'd be a bit surprised if MP4 does.

I do think it's further along than we thought but it can't be much more than 1 year into development at this point, can it?

Hastati

I guess they have both been in development for awhile then?

Interested to see what Gamefreak (do we know it's them?) will do, I'm guessing it will be a spruced up sun/moon but I'd love it if it was more of a console reboot.

Wamb0wneD

Well... I mean... Reggie held his word with Metroid being a thing this year so i just give them the benefit of the doubt here regarding Metroid and will get hyped...a bit.

I don't believe them
Unless they work on both games 24/7

One game is developed internally by Nintendo and one by Gamefreak though?

Mediking

Pokemon Switch is gonna sell like crazy. It will prolly be the biggest sold game on Switch for a long time.

If PK Switch and Metriod releases in 2018... let's go Switch!

Juraash

I mean, during the Pokémon reveal they did say a year or more...which could still be 2018. It would be fucking insane if true, but I won't hold my breath. They'll get here when they get here.

2018 will be around Metroid, Kirby, Yoshi, new Pokemon game has been announced

Maybe it's the kind of thing that could be interpreted different ways, but while he's definitely saying Metroid is planned for next year, the "a new Pokemon has been announced" sounds like a separate statement to me. I'll be really surprised if they cut Gen 7 off before 2019.

kromeo

If they've been developing it a while they could at least have given us something more than a low quality logo...

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Holy shit... if that's actually the case, that's kind of fucking insane.

And, I mean... we all kinda doubted Xenoblade 2 was this year, but here we are, so.... maybe?

Pokemon, I believe, since it's been yearly for the last 3 or 4 years. Prime? Ehhhh...I'd be surprised if it doesn't get pushed to '19.

Top Bottom