• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo of America still bringing Devil's Third to North America.

i am down on unseen64 for this, but of course the internet takes it that extra 100 miles and goes to death threats. fucking idiots who can't control their venom.

Devil Third is an AAA game. You should have higher expectations for D3rd.

uh...it may have been at one point, but now it's clearly a mid tier action game that's barely hobbling out of the gate after getting put through a huge fucking wringer. It's a miracle that it's done.

Ridley327

Onechebara is a kusoge game. Intentionally made to be low budget and rough around the edges.

We already had some indication a couple of years ago that even back when it was with THQ, they were not spending a ton of money on the game. I think that was being subsidized somewhat as it was running on Vigil's Darksiders engine back then, but it seems like that there was an honest effort to try and make the project more B-tier as far as spending was concerned. I don't know how successful that turned out for Itagaki, given the need to switch engines when THQ cut bait and how much of an emphasis the development placed on the online features and (hopefully) infrastructure, but I doubt that they spent anywhere near what, for example, Konami does on your average MGS.

Hugstable

Banned
Death Threats.... The fuck is wrong with people. It's not even like they have even been proven wrong yet, people jumping to conclusions and esclating that to death threats.. Stupid

catmario

Hmm... Partnership with XSeed huh? I feel It's the same situation like Pandora's tower and Last Story.
So, It seems that the half of that rumor is right. Just this time, NOA strictly stated this as "Partnership". NOA made partnership with XSeed when they releasing The Last Story. (Info fixed)

Amy links to any impressions or any gaffes directly heard anything from someone with the game? Or will I have to wait for the 15th for the embargo to let up? Is the embargo for reviews or only impressions.

Hmm... Partnership with XSeed huh?
I feel It's the same thing like Pandora's tower and Last Story.
So, Only the half of that rumor is right. Just this time, NOA strictly stated this as "Partnership".

When they announced The Last Story was coming over Reggie stated it was coming over "through our publishing partner Xseed".

Converse

Banned
While I'll wait for European reviews and impressions, I'm still glad NoA didn't continue their string of idiocy by flat-out passing on this game on the alleged grounds of quality. It would have been really hard to reconcile that when compared with their support of games like Sonic Boom.

krizzx

I have a feeling that it wasn't going to be published initially (everything points to that) but Itagaki and all the recent fuss has made NOA recant their plans.

Onechebara is a kusoge game. Intentionally made to be low budget and rough around the edges.

AAA is dependant on budget and promotion. it's pretty obvious that this isn't an AAA game, otherwise there wouldn't have been such a problematic release in every region. If THQ was still alive, it would have most likely received that kind of promotion but they themselves we're reusing the Darksiders engine to save costs.

Gnilres

Yep, day one for me.

I can throw sledgehammers at people, slide kick, and kill a ninja with their own katana. That's good enough for me. I'm mainly hoping that some of the multiplayer mechanics are present in single player. It would be kind of a shame to leave the character customization totally locked behind multiplayer, for instance, but I get the feeling that's going to happen.

I'll join you guys, then. Hope it does relatively well so we can get some online multiplayer going.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Wait? There's an embargo on this game? Who put the embargo on?

Nintendo does embargoes all the time, they just don't cause a fuss because they're generally staggered embargoes (ie you can only talk about the first x hours, or can't talk about multiplayer, etc until they give the go-ahead) and they generally end weeks before the games are released.

Tripon

Nintendo does embargoes all the time, they just don't cause a fuss because they're generally staggered embargoes (ie you can only talk about the first x hours, or can't talk about multiplayer, etc until they give the go-ahead) and they generally end weeks before the games are released.

My point is that publishers are usually the people who control embargoes.

Ridley327

I have a feeling that it wasn't going to be published initially (everything points to that) but Itagaki and all the recent fuss has made NOA recant their plans.

I seriously doubt that NOA tried to put something together like this recently. I'm sure they had already been in the process of setting this up by the time the release strategies were finalized in the other regions.

Death threats over a mediocre game, that thirst....

Seriously though I will never understand the necessity to threaten to kill someone over feminism, video games and other random shit.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Death threats over a mediocre game, that thirst....

Seriously though I will never understand the necessity to threaten to kill someone over feminism, video games and other random shit.

Anonymity is a dangerous power
You can get away with threatening to kill someone without actually saying it to their face, and they can never find out who you are.

Death threats? Seriously?

I will never understand how people can get so mean and bitter over this stuff. Tamaki and Siliconera actually seem to be right, but regardless, they're just people who work to inform us.

And it's sad that the bad replies put Neogaf as a whole in a bad light.

StevieP

Banned
While I'll wait for European reviews and impressions, I'm still glad NoA didn't continue their string of idiocy by flat-out passing on this game on the alleged grounds of quality. It would have been really hard to reconcile that when compared with their support of games like Sonic Boom.

I, too, remember all of the dollars NOA spent on publishing and advertising Sonic Boom

Jomjom

Banned
This better not lose Xseed so much money that it affects the actual good games they are localizing like Trails of Cold Steel, Nitroplus Blasterz and Senran 2.

What resources would XSeed (or whoever it ends up being) even be using for the publishing process? There's no localization work to be done, there's just ESRB and the publishing itself. Depending on the deal they have with Nintendo it may actually be a pretty safe project

I'd imagine a company that releases the kinds of games they do understands how to market and sell to a game's audience without putting themselves at financial risk

@MUWANdo

Banned
What resources would XSeed (or whoever it ends up being) even be using for the publishing process? There's no localization work to be done, there's just ESRB and the publishing itself. Depending on the deal they have with Nintendo it may actually be a pretty safe project

I'd imagine a company that releases the kinds of games they do understands how to market and sell to a game's audience without putting themselves at financial risk

Last Story was and may still be the most profitable game XSEED ever released, and I'm sure Pandora's Tower did fine, too. The loc work was done, the community was advertising the game for them, all they had to do was press the discs and give Ninty a cut.

Kusoge(クソゲ)= shitty game

He knows what it means, he's questioning the phrase "kusoge game", it's like saying "ATM machine".

Out next week.

61nVkdncWwL.jpg

Do you have any idea about Xseed's library. A good portion isn't great.

Look at the Valhalla Knights series they publish. Four games with metacritic scores of 35-53 including a relatively recent Vita release.

Also considering all the localization is done for them they'll probably still come out on top compared to other releases that require them to actually translate.
I generally have no problem with XSEED's output as they seem to find a good balance of titles that appeal to me, but besides the upcoming Trails games and Popolocrois, nothing else in their confirmed schedule has my interest. I'm just disappointed that this is another title I'll be passing on.

AniHawk

Last Story was and may still be the most profitable game XSEED ever released, and I'm sure Pandora's Tower did fine, too. The loc work was done, the community was advertising the game for them, all they had to do was press the discs and give Ninty a cut.

even though it was paper, i think those cardboard boxes might have cost a pretty penny. if nintendo handled distribution, that was another payment xseed would have had to make. in that case, nintendo would have had to have been paid for the platform charge (royalty), printing art work/manual, distribution, and licensor's fee (a different kind of royalty). it's possible that xseed got about $10/unit for each sale. fortunately, they also sold a lot - probably something like 50,000 units to retailers. so if the cost of the license was $200,000, they would have made $300,000 in profit after all costs were subtracted.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Game apparently drops to 10-15fps at times, looks like a PS2 game and is not very polished. Wait for a few previews and reviews.

I'm honestly boggled by the hate the game is receiving from previews, really.
it si rogugh as hell, but in solo mode the frame rate isn't that bad at all, Ivan's model is pretty good, and man if the melee/shooting combat isn't fun! the gameplay is way more varied and fun than many way bigger shooters out there.
single player campaign is pretty meaty too, for an arena multiplayer game.

I'm honestly boggled by the hate the game is receiving from previews, really.
it si rogugh as hell, but in solo mode the frame rate isn't that bad at all, Ivan's model is pretty good, and man if the melee/shooting combat isn't fun! the gameplay is way more varied and fun than many way bigger shooters out there.
single player campaign is pretty meaty too, for an arena multiplayer game.

Do you have a review copy? If so I'm glad to hear these impressions. I'm fine with it being a 6/10 game but what you said is what I want out of it.

Terrell

You could also try to contact either person directly (both are on Twitter).

Perhaps I will. Though considering one of them is pulling back from social media entirely, I don't expect to get what I'm after; Tamaki would likely consider it further persecution and part of the "NeoGAF bashing" he's pulling back from. Don't agree with him getting death threats, but the rest feels like just being sore that people won't take him at his word implicitly.

But then we still have an issue that there is a contradiction in what was reported even if they buried the hatchet as you suggested, which doesn't really clear up that there is a possibility of factual inaccuracy.

Were this the only incident in which information from this individual was called into question, such a clarification from both parties would be enough. But it's not the only incident. There have been other documented cases of issues with information he discloses from both himself and his sources, most of which are within a concentrated timeframe of the past few months.

This is all without mentioning his defensive attitude when called into question, which ignited a lot of juvenile behaviour that indicates he can't and/or won't stand by his statements. Whether it's that he can't or won't is irrelevant, he simply isn't.

So taking him at his word simply isn't an option for some people anymore. Understandably so.

Top Bottom