• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo of America still bringing Devil's Third to North America.

Shiggy

Perhaps I will. Though considering one of them is pulling back from social media entirely, I don't expect to get what I'm after; Tamaki would likely consider it further persecution and part of the "NeoGAF bashing" he's pulling back from. Don't agree with him getting death threats, but the rest feels like just being sore that people won't take him at his word implicitly.

But then we still have an issue that there is a contradiction in what was reported even if they buried the hatchet as you suggested, which doesn't really clear up that there is a possibility of factual inaccuracy.

Were this the only incident in which information from this individual was called into question, such a clarification from both parties would be enough. But it's not the only incident. There have been other documented cases of issues with information he discloses from both himself and his sources, most of which are within a concentrated timeframe of the past few months.

This is all without mentioning his defensive attitude when called into question, which ignited a lot of juvenile behaviour that indicates he can't and/or won't stand by his statements. Whether it's that he can't or won't is irrelevant, he simply isn't.

So taking him at his word simply isn't an option for some people anymore. Understandably so.

I'm actually not familiar with these incidents nor have I been really following the Twitter stuff as I'm mostly concerned with his work for U64. What else did happen?

Garou

This whole affair had a lot of people care about the game who were not interested in the first place. If that was intentional: Good job NOA Marketing Dept.!

Terrell

I'm actually not familiar with these incidents nor have I been really following the Twitter stuff as I'm mostly concerned with his work for U64. What else did happen?

There was a tweet from before E3 that he has since deleted where he states that Fallout 4 appeared to be cross-gen.

aa96000e442ad9be6e43373105bf1506.png

I will not interpret the reason for deleting the tweet. It could have been based on the barely-reliable information in the CSS code for the teaser site, but considering he likes to play up the reliability of his sources, "all signs" is a bit of an over-statement.

After E3, he tweeted that NX would be less powerful than PS4 and boasting about the accuracy of his source.

When questioned about whether he was referring to a console or handheld (a pretty basic question and details that should be just as available from any source detailing how powerful it is), he refused to provide those details, which to anyone with a functioning brain means that the source is now questionable.

He stated he would make a video about it to clarify his statement, but later retracted that and said he was in no hurry to release such a video because people were "being mean to him" because he refused to clarify such an intensely vague statement, one that appears designed for him to be right whichever way you split it unless further elaboration is provided, which he has now declined to.
Such a statement was bound to draw a lot of attention to him and he didn't like what kind of attention it got him. This is where his overly-combative hatred of NeoGAF began to appear, all because we wouldn't implicitly take his word on whatever he says.

Then there was the Project H.A.M.M.E.R. kerfuffle when he started shit-talking posters on NeoGAF who disagreed with his sources and impugned SMgamer's credibility, hand-waving it off after the fact as though he never intended for it to come across that way.

And now this.

It's not proof that he's wrong per se, but it all stacks up to being enough that people are correct to question if he's right. And since he throws around the name of the team he's part of, after all this, it could easily be interpreted as Unseen64 creating distance from him where there wasn't before. Whether that's correct or not is not really for us to say, but it certainly gives that impression.

mugwhump

If they're still involved in publishing it I have to wonder why they completely snubbed it this E3, unless they think it's complete shit.

I'm wondering if this is a response to prevent Tamaki from being a reputable leak house. Small loss but convincing people not to believe him and thus will be more skeptical in the future? Nintendo is infamously secretive after all.

No way

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
One thing can be said.

Not only the credits point out a co ownership of the IP and see various nintendo staff member (debug by club nintendo, iwata as ex producer) but report also NoA involvement (I presume for localization)

Mdk7

I am very, very sorry for Tamaki.
People need to calm the fuck down and use their brain, come on. Death threats over gaming discussion? That is beyond ridiculous.
Not to consider that Liam's rumor has NOT been debunked, but of course this is not even the point.

There was a tweet from before E3 that he has since deleted where he states that Fallout 4 appeared to be cross-gen.

I will not interpret the reason for deleting the tweet. It could have been based on the barely-reliable information in the CSS code for the teaser site, but considering he likes to play up the reliability of his sources, "all signs" is a bit of an over-statement.

After E3, he tweeted that NX would be less powerful than PS4 and boasting about the accuracy of his source.

When questioned about whether he was referring to a console or handheld (a pretty basic question and details that should be just as available from any source detailing how powerful it is), he refused to provide those details, which to anyone with a functioning brain means that the source is now questionable.

He stated he would make a video about it to clarify his statement, but later retracted that and said he was in no hurry to release such a video because people were "being mean to him" because he refused to clarify such an intensely vague statement, one that appears designed for him to be right whichever way you split it unless further elaboration is provided, which he has now declined to.
Such a statement was bound to draw a lot of attention to him and he didn't like what kind of attention it got him. This is where his overly-combative hatred of NeoGAF began to appear, all because we wouldn't implicitly take his word on whatever he says.

Then there was the Project H.A.M.M.E.R. kerfuffle when he started shit-talking posters on NeoGAF who disagreed with his sources and impugned SMgamer's credibility, hand-waving it off after the fact as though he never intended for it to come across that way.

And now this.

It's not proof that he's wrong per se, but it all stacks up to being enough that people are correct to question if he's right. And since he throws around the name of the team he's part of, after all this, it could easily be interpreted as Unseen64 creating distance from him where there wasn't before. Whether that's correct or not is not really for us to say, but it certainly gives that impression.

New-age Pachter.

I'm honestly boggled by the hate the game is receiving from previews, really.
it si rogugh as hell, but in solo mode the frame rate isn't that bad at all, Ivan's model is pretty good, and man if the melee/shooting combat isn't fun! the gameplay is way more varied and fun than many way bigger shooters out there.
single player campaign is pretty meaty too, for an arena multiplayer game.

yes, unfortunately I have to wait next week for official impressions
There's no way you could be enjoying it though, it looks like a PS2 game! Devil's Turd!

Thanks for your impressions! Hopefully some more positivity around the game will surface next week, not really expecting it though haha

My issue is what if FROM THE BEGINNING Nintendo plan was to partner with someone to bring this game to NA. Is it fair to them that someone took their announcement away because they wanted to report a "RUMOR"? Basically IMO spinning it as a negative thing where everyone jumped on board as NOA sucks and not worthy of anything . I think this is just a RUMOR gone bad... sadly this all could have been avoided. Yes it was weird that the game wasn't at E3 and yes e wanted more info on the game especially in NA. At the end though Nintendo is the company and they can choose to give information. When they think the time is right. Just my two cents.

A reasonable voice in this affair of games, lies and video.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Honestly, I think NOA conspicuously held back their announcement in the hopes that people would rally for the game, Operation Rainfall-style, and give the game a free marketing push that it otherwise wouldn't get. It was never going to go unreleased in NA, they're just looking to wring as much blood from this stone as they can.

This Tamaki fellow seems like the El Mayimbe of video games. Had a couple good guesses early on, then took an entire Twitter following for a ride.

Honestly, I think NOA conspicuously held back their announcement in the hopes that people would rally for the game, Operation Rainfall-style, and give the game a free marketing push that it otherwise wouldn't get. It was never going to go unreleased in NA, they're just looking to wring as much blood from this stone as they can.

that's giving them way too much credit.

what did they get out of it? a couple medium sized threads on neogaf, an article from a small gaming site, and an article from a medium gaming site.

edit: lol @ all these conspiracy theories on the past page. Getting a few people talking on neogaf does not equal people buying the game.

@MUWANdo

Banned
that's giving them way too much credit.

what did they get out of it? a couple medium sized threads on neogaf, an article from a small gaming site, and an article from a medium gaming site.

Have you seen what NOE is doing for the game? Hint: it begins and ends with a ten-second Facebook video of Ivan playing a drum solo. I'm not saying this is a clever strategy or a considered tradeoff, I'm saying they're trying to maximise the amount of attention they can get without spending any money or showing the game in any way, and in that respect it's pretty much the only play they have.

RangerBAD

Out next week.

61nVkdncWwL.jpg

Do you have any idea about Xseed's library. A good portion isn't great.

Look at the Valhalla Knights series they publish. Four games with metacritic scores of 35-53 including a relatively recent Vita release.

Also considering all the localization is done for them they'll probably still come out on top compared to other releases that require them to actually translate.

Just noticed how XSeed edited that cover. lol

it si rogugh as hell, but in solo mode the frame rate isn't that bad at all, Ivan's model is pretty good, and man if the melee/shooting combat isn't fun! the gameplay is way more varied and fun than many way bigger shooters out there.

I'm hoping that doesn't mean the framerate is worse in multiplayer. Poor framerate is much more acceptable in single-player than multiplayer.

Ever since they announced they'd be using Unreal Engine 3.0 framerate has been my primary concern

At the time of the game leaving THQ the switch from the Darksiders engine to Unreal 3 was smart. Unfortunately the engine hasn't shown to run the best on Wii U.

It not the primary factor for the game's graphical problems but it's sure a contributing factor.

One thing can be said.

Not only the credits point out a co ownership of the IP and see various nintendo staff member (debug by club nintendo, iwata as ex producer) but report also NoA involvement (I presume for localization)

After seeing Project Treasure I thought Nintendo would try to convert the multiplayer in this to free-to-play also. It already has so many hooks for it.

tebunker

Banned

Will your preview have a lot of MP info? Or do we have to wait longer. Looking forward to what you have to say

Converse

Banned
I, too, remember all of the dollars NOA spent on publishing and advertising Sonic Boom

I didn't say they published it, but they sure as hell supported it and featured it proudly, whether it be via eShop prominence, promo reels or the Sonic Boom StreetPass puzzle that I most definitely have on my 3DS.

oh man oh man oh man

a few more confirmations of this and i'll be in hype country

Maybe the situation with Iwata is why information for Devil's Third has been scarce? Probably trying to get all of their ducks in a row and Devil's Third is far down in the priority list.

Eusis

Maybe the situation with Iwata is why information for Devil's Third has been scarce? Probably trying to get all of their ducks in a row and Devil's Third is far down in the priority list.
Could be a reason, though I have to imagine a corporation would still have many cogs that could keep going regardless of what is going on in the highest levels. Not like one person having to juggle work while dealing with a family emergency afterall, doubly so if this was mostly kept private until now.

Eila

I would guess negotiations are still on-going with XSEED or whoever is co-publishing. Or they simply don't want to announce it yet since they have about 9000 projects.

I don't think so. Much more likely they are just waiting to officially announce the Xseed partnership. Most likely with an English video with Itagaki for both PAL and North American Regions.

NOE still hasn't really said anything about the game other than tweets despite sending out review copies. There will certainly be an English version Of Itagaki's Japanese video.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Oh, I missed this. Is very nice to read this, it makes me have good hopes for the game. Especially knowing that you don't usually overhype things.

Mr. Tibbs

Itagaki talks Devil's Third:

Multiplayer:

“There are things like diplomacy chat that only clan leaders can use, so you can have conferences with other clans. I’m a military enthusiast so there are also many political elements in the game. Of course. You can [enjoy the multiplayer] even without playing the single-player game. Even so, the single-player is packed with Itagaki-like things, so I’d like you to try it. In order to make both the multiplayer side of the game and the single player side of the game enjoyable, each of them required an amount of quantity, quality and scope. There are these two parts of Devil’s Third. That’s why it took time [to make the game].”

On the game's development:

“When I became independent and thought what I’d create next, I had a strong desire to challenge myself with new things. Therefore I decided to create a completely new shooter game by using all the skills I have gained from making action games and fighting games – so Ninja Gaiden and Dead or Alive fans alike would want to play it.”

On saving the game from being canned:

“I didn’t want to betray fans. I didn’t want people to throw away their anticipation. The game is a grand sum of the work from all of the developers, so I really hope you pick it up. I think the game will become a breakthrough in the industry and take shooters to the next level.”

Melee footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-XOU1-GHrE

Opening footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iFWcRvpbjw

The fact that clans can form alliances is dope as hell to me. I really hope this gets a solid online base. There are tons of cool ideas in it.

Mdk7

My preview (unfortunately only in Italian, but hopefully Google Translate can give you a hand somehow, in case you are interested) is here.
I won't lie: i did NOT like what i've played, at all.
Despite being a diehard and longtime fan of Itagaki (Ninja Gaiden is in my heart), Devil's Third is unfortunately a real nasty mess, with tons of problems pretty much everywhere.
Honestly, i did not understand nor approve NoA's ostracism towards the game... until i got my hands on it. It's seriously that bad, yes.

I'll post a little recap of my preview later on, sorry but i have zero time now. :/

EDIT: you can see two gameplay vids from the second mission on page 2, we captured those ourselves.

AdanVC

My preview (unfortunately only in Italian, but hopefully Google Translate can give you a hand somehow, in case you are interested) is here.
I won't lie: i did NOT like what i've played, at all.
Despite being a diehard and longtime fan of Itagaki (Ninja Gaiden is in my heart), Devil's Third is unfortunately a real nasty mess, with tons of problems pretty much everywhere.
Honestly, i did not understand nor approve NoA's ostracism towards the game... until i got my hands on it. It's seriously that bad, yes.

I'll post a little recap of my preview later on, sorry but i have zero time now. :/

yiiiiKES. It truly sounds like a 6/10 game... Or even lower. :(. Fatal Frame can't come soon enough. At least that game looks waaaaay better.

You're certainly not alone there. Video Gamer called The Devil's Third "A cruel joke for Wii U owners," and says it's "shaping up to be one of the worst games Nintendo has ever published."

Nintendo Life hate it, too. http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/07/first_impressions_trying_to_believe_in_devils_third

omfg at the bolded part! What the heck was Itagaki thinking when doing this game!?

Gnilres

Even with bad previews, I want to buy it. If for nothing else than to support Itagaki.

For one thing, he is well known for polishing his games after release. Best case scenario, he addresses some technical issues.

Additionally, Ninja Gaiden 3 originally had a poor response. That's why Razor's Edge was made (with a much better response). It's possible he could do something like that here.

I want to show him that I'm interested in what he has in store for the future with a game the (hopefully) doesn't have a troubled development like Devil's Third.

Top Bottom