• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo officially announces DSi (Downloadable DS Ware/Camera/Browser)

Xavien

Pictures of the Matt Black Version from the Nintendo Europe site:

cont_TS_01_black.jpg

cont_TS_02_black.jpg

cont_TS_03_black.jpg

Looks sexy.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
Xavien said:
Pictures of the Matt Black Version from the Nintendo Europe site:

Looks sexy.

I think I prefer the flat look over the glossy look of the DS Lites, but only because the glossy finish has been all I've been exposed to for the last few years. Does anyone know what that small dot is next to the external camera, though?

Kujo

NOE:

This new, svelte dual-screen portable (pictured below) was announced at a Nintendo Co. Ltd. press event. The DSi is slated to launch in Europe in the spring of 2009.

So between March and May for Europe.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
wow. Looks like shit compared to the lite. Not noticably smaller/thinner. Screens not noticably bigger.

audio player looks like that crappy one they released on GBA ages ago. Web browser looks like the crappy opera they had before. Doesn't sound like the specs of the machine have changed so it'll still be crappy slow at browsing probably.

camera is shit, but maybe enough to capture images for games. which of course you won't be able to use online with friends because of Nintendo's morbid fear of irresponsible use.

No external screen or controls for changing the music (maybe they'll support some kind of headphone remote?). finish just looks worse than the DS lite (nasty hinges, flat finish)

DS ware might be intersesting if there is a wifi app store equivalent - not if you have to download on PC or wii and transfer.

farnham

Banned
mrklaw said:
wow. Looks like shit compared to the lite. Not noticably smaller/thinner. Screens not noticably bigger.

audio player looks like that crappy one they released on GBA ages ago. Web browser looks like the crappy opera they had before. Doesn't sound like the specs of the machine have changed so it'll still be crappy slow at browsing probably.

camera is shit, but maybe enough to capture images for games. which of course you won't be able to use online with friends because of Nintendo's morbid fear of irresponsible use.

No external screen or controls for changing the music (maybe they'll support some kind of headphone remote?). finish just looks worse than the DS lite (nasty hinges, flat finish)

DS ware might be intersesting if there is a wifi app store equivalent - not if you have to download on PC or wii and transfer.
HEY I have Play YAn and I use it with my GBM and its gorgeous, Sir

So if the GBA hardware is still in there, I wonder how long it will take for someone to try a hardware mod to add the port back in. Something that seems much more feasible than early hoaxes that had DS playing GBC games.

Overture

Neo Member
I kind of have mixed feelings towards this.

VGA camera - what a waste

Downloadable games - probably the only significant upgrade

That is all

mrklaw said:

(neutral) mrklaw
MrArseFace
(Today, 09:57 AM)

works for me, doesn't for you..... OH NOES!!

Spirit3

I love the DS, but I'm not loving this. I'd rather know about the DS2 honestly. The additions hardly seem to warrant a second purchase, but they'll get a few more sales from new gamers.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
the VC store makes it difficult to import. I'm assuming they'll lock access based on the machine, much like the wii. So if you import a Japanese one you'll only get the Japanese VC store. Unless they really take account of the 'portability' part and make it region free like the rest of the DS.

mrklaw said:
Unless they really take account of the 'portability' part and make it region free like the rest of the DS.
Isn't part of the reason it's that way for portables because you might be in a different place and buy the physical carts/cards? Not an issue for an online service; if you're near a place where you can connect to the Internet, you should be able to connect to your regional store.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
farnham said:
HEY I have Play YAn and I use it with my GBM and its gorgeous, Sir

ok, I was in 'be harsh' mode :)

I really meant 'ancient and lazy port of that old audio player'. And if its true there is no mp3, I'm guessing due to licensing reasons and Nintendo being a right tight arse.

DefensiveReject - you really think this is a compelling new offer? the download store is the only thing that'll sell it to me. Luckily I think I'll have to wait for it to come out in the UK if Nintendo lock you to the machine's region, which will give me some time to see how successful/compelling the download store is.

JoshuaJSlone said:
Isn't part of the reason it's that way for portables because you might be in a different place and buy the physical carts/cards? Not an issue for an online service; if you're near a place where you can connect to the Internet, you should be able to connect to your regional store.

yes, although the way they manufacture the DSes might mean they can't region lock you - it might not have any region info in the machine and they might not bother adding it. but enough of a concern for me to at least wait and see. And usually I jump on these things pretty quickly (and my DS lite buttons are wearing out so I need a new one in the next few months anyway - seems I go through one a year...)

Are there two cameras? I need to read more.
SD slot is nice if it's put to good use.

I never bought a DS Lite and now my phat has lost a hinge after one too many accidents.

Neo Child said:
It's different though, a lot of DS games require usage of the GBA slot, it's not like the new PS3 games needed the old PS2 games to work.

Which ones? And don't say pokemon.

camineet

Banned
So basicly, DSi is the equivalent of GBC. Is that a fair comparison ?

DSi will play all DS games (no GBA games) and have new games of its own that cannot be played on DS or DSL. Yet, DSi is not the next-gen DS2 that's expected by gamers and the industry sometime around 2010 or later (but hasn't been announced).

I'm in an interesting position. I own the original fat DS, bought one in early 2006 for $129 when they were offering a free game (Advance Wars: Dual Strike), so I never got a DSL.

Maybe I'll go for a DSi since I wanted a DSL. Now with DSi I'll have the option of playing whatever new DSi-only games get made.

Smidget

OK I feel a lot better about this since there seems to be no reason some games would work on this and some games wouldn't (other then downloadable games), is that right?

antispin

The lack of DS logo tells me that nintendo has almost as much confidence in the DSi as it did in the DS with its lack of then identifiable logos. Clearly, third pillar redux.

Its like they did everything the successor to the ds needed except increase the specs.
The new hardware and os sounds exciting, but Id rather wait another 2 years for better cameras and additional horsepower. The least the dsi could do is provide texture filtering.

edit: how do they plan on offering a competent browser without additional RAM?

I'm glad that they added the camera now, on the DS rather than the successor. With all of those methods of user input in one portable machine, it'll take developers some time to find out what works and what doesn't in terms of critical/commercial success.

Being a DS, even if nobody makes great use of the camera, we would still have plenty of other 'traditional DS' games still being made. Hopefully we won't be stuck with them spending over a year trying to figure these things out. (I'm looking at you, western DS/Wii devs.)

camineet

Banned
Dang, I made a post somewhere else saying the DSi has two touchscreens, before I knew that was incorrect info. Had to correct myself. Blasted!

hirokazu

Anyone know if this reads SDHC? It's kinda dumb if it doesn't. Then again, if 512MB is enough storage in Nintendo's eyes, 2GB would more than suffice too. :/

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
Am I the only one who noticed that they finally nuked the retarded sound slider and replaced it with real buttons?

Vaandaviii said:
Nice. Nintendo has brought that "apple way of life" to consoles. Time to move on to microsoft as second provider.

ANOTHER DS model with exclusive content? The fourth pillar? C'mon, I'm not paying a single euro to these guys. I'm sick of this shit. I'm sick of nintendo making money. I loved when they had ONE FUCKING CONSOLE and made genius games for it. Now they not only change the hardware yearly, but also only make SHIT.

I'm sick of wiimotes, balance boards, motion plus, DSi, DSp, DSj... FUCK give me the gameboy and the gamecube with great games and stop fucking gamers.
Did people get this upset about the two PSP revisions we've seen in the last year?

Masklinn said:
Am I the only one who noticed that they finally nuked the retarded sound slider and replaced it with real buttons?
And a power button which isn't exposed, meaning no more accidentally turning it off while it's in sleep mode.

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
Wrestlemania said:
And a power button which isn't exposed, meaning no more accidentally turning it off while it's in sleep mode.
Oh yes, I hadn't thought of that. This is all kinds of awesome.

Ten-Song

Masklinn said:

Holy poop, I just now noticed that. It's about fucking time they changed that.

mrklaw said:
camera is shit, but maybe enough to capture images for games.

It'll be 640 x 480, which is plenty for the ds, or even Wii! Shit for serious photography though, but so was the gameboy camera.

Masklinn said:

I wish they'd bring back the volume wheel.

Billions of dollars in R&D

They should make N64 games, SNES games and so forth downloadable on it. That would make it the best handheld machine ever.

Ten-Song

dabookerman said:
Billions of dollars in R&D

They should make N64 games, SNES games and so forth downloadable on it. That would make it the best handheld machine ever.

How the hell would that even work?

Looks like shit when closed with those ugly corners but the black DSi looks nice when open, i'll probably import a black one for PS0 :D will still end up cheaper then waiting for march in the UK and paying £129 or something inflated.

Wurm

Banned
I dunno about this. I was expecting something.. more. At least a sort of cosmetic refresh of some kind, but it looks virtually identical to the Lite.

The sticking point is this Downloadable games part. Does this now mean my old DS simply wont be able to ever obtain these titles and play them? Because thats pretty shitty of Nintendo if so.

Ten-Song said:
Yuck, in that case, count me out. Mario 64 controlled like ass on the DS.

Ok good bye then.

Of course, I was also referring to the BRILLIANT PS1 emulation of the PSP with it's Mappable!!! Buttons <------

antispin said:
The lack of DS logo tells me that nintendo has almost as much confidence in the DSi as it did in the DS with its lack of then identifiable logos. Clearly, third pillar redux.
I find this peculiar as well. I mean, its just a clean slate...never would have guessed that.

Ten-Song

dabookerman said:
Ok good bye then.

Of course, I was also referring to the BRILLIANT PS1 emulation of the PSP with it's Mappable!!! Buttons <------

Well, obviously that'd be the better option, but I still think any game that was heavy on the N64's analog stick would lose a lot in being ported over to the DS.

dabookerman said:
Ok good bye then.

Mario64 was a rebuilt version of the game. It wasnt a port, but a remake. Realistically any vc like service for ds would only allow emulation maxing out at the 16 bit consoles. I suspect the only offerings will be gb, gbc, game gear, neo geo pocket, etc.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
They need to emboss the lid with some kind of design or logo, it's just too plain/flat, the black one when closed looks like a personal organiser/PDA rather than a hand-held games machine, it looks too formal if you get what I mean.

Top Bottom