• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo officially endorses derivative works, reveals endorsement scheme in Japan

xk0sm0sx

During an event from Dwango for announcing a new gaming event which I covered here:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=934426

New OP, Please read carefully as not everything are allowed, and this only applies for Japan.
Not everything has been clarified yet.

Nintendo announced on a stream that videos featuring their games properties uploaded to Nicovideo.jp is allowed. So far, they have acknowledged it for Let's Plays, Game Music Covers, and Fan Art. Nothing else.
Under a Creative Endorsement Program from Nicovideo (Dwango), which rewards video creators for making high-ranking videos, Nintendo will allow videos using Nintendo properties to receive such prizes.
There is a list of titles which they have not revealed for which the Creative Endorsement Program can be applied to, so it only applies under these titles. The program will be activated on 1st December, so expect more details later on.

Source: http://nviewer.mobi/player?video_id=sm24939536 Skip to 7:26.
Here's an article from a news site about it: http://www.4gamer.net/games/999/G999905/20141117079/

Questions linger:
Does this policy only apply in Nicovideo JP and not Youtube? How about the International version of Nicovideo?
Are only LP's, Fanart, Music and Song covers allowed? How about other works?
Is the same stance acknowledged by NOA?

Old, and inaccurate OP
Nintendo is revealed to be a special sponsor and Iwata appears through a video.
Iwata announces that Nintendo now officially gives it's permission for anyone to use their properties for derivative works, even showcasing videos of famous Let's Plays, music covers, fanarts.

Iwata also announced a "Creative Endorsement Program" where Nintendo will reward money to creators with well-received work. This program is only applicable to Nicovideo.jp, which is under Dwango.

Source: It is a video shown through a livestream, I'll wait for someone to upload it and link it :(

EDIT:
I've made a mistake, the Creative Endorsement Program did not come from Nintendo, but was originally created by Nicovideo (Dwango) for plenty of works. Nintendo only announced that it's titles are now eligible for it!
The Creative Endorsement Program was set up back in 2011 to reward creators who made highly viewed videos.
Sorry for the mistake.

Would a mod help me edit my title? Thanks!

So what about that YouTube thing a while back, Nintendo?

Still, fucking awesome news.
I should do creative, in-depth Let's Plays and post them on Nicovideo.jp.

Deft Beck

I hope this policy will extend beyond Nicovideo.

EDIT: Realized that the Nicovideo-exclusive part is for the CEP. My point still stands.

Rich!

We already knew this was the case, to be honest.

They've never, ever shut down any fan projects that have been distributed freely, and have even turned a blind eye to sites like http://www.smwcentral.net and other romhacking endeavours.

Good guy nintendo

Pudge

Excellent news. I hope NoA has a similar announcement soon, this is the way to do it when it comes to LPs and other videos.

Chuckpebble

So what about that YouTube thing a while back, Nintendo?

Still, fucking awesome news.
I should do creative, in-depth Let's Plays and post them on Nicovideo.jp.

That squeaky wheel that I remember from that whole hulabaloo, Zack Scott Games, seems to be uploading plenty of Nintendo stuff with ads these days. Guess that quietly blew over. There was that thread about revenue sharing with YT channels, but I don't know what's come of that.

BowieZ

Banned
What does it mean by "showcasing" people's work? Did they put together a video shown solely at this event, or will they be regularly showcasing in some format in the future?

That squeaky wheel that I remember from that whole hulabaloo, Zack Scott Games, seems to be uploading plenty of Nintendo stuff with ads these days. Guess that quietly blew over. There was that thread about revenue sharing with YT channels, but I don't know what's come of that.

Maybe this is the result of it. Maybe Nintendo didn't get this revenue sharing to work so they just said "Fuck it, power to the players!" and made it so.

Azure J

Hmm, I presume something like Project M doesn't fit into this program?

Funny that we had the same subject of curiosity in mind coming into this thread. I wonder where Project M falls under all of this.

Nintendo slowly but surely picking up steam into adopting a lot of 21st century developments is great.

Maybe this is the result of it. Maybe Nintendo didn't get this revenue sharing to work so they just said "Fuck it, power to the players!" and made it so.

There was a big outcry when Nintendo started claiming videos on youtube but barely no one took notice of the shared revenue announcement a week later or so.

xk0sm0sx

What does it mean by "showcasing" people's work? Did they put together a video shown solely at this event, or will they be regularly showcasing in some format in the future?

Ah, during the announcement, they showed real examples of derivative works, one of it being this famous Let's Play www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6p-GGa43Ko (Mario running away from the green devil).
They didn't say anything about showcasing some works regularly.

Funny that we had the same subject of curiosity in mind coming into this thread. I wonder where Project M falls under all of this.

Nintendo slowly but surely picking up steam into adopting a lot of 21st century developments is great.
I'm sure rom hacks will not fall under this category. I'm not particularly fond of it existing and releasing the latest version a few days before Smash 4U comes out

Rich!

I'm sure rom hacks will not fall under this category. I'm not particularly fond of it existing and releasing the latest version a few days before Smash 4U comes out

Right, I would love to hear your reasons. I personally think it's fantastic, as does a huge amount of fans.

Either way, Nintendo have never actively stopped romhacking. They turn a blind eye to it.

Right, I would love to hear your reasons. I personally think it's fantastic, as does a huge amount of fans.

Either way, Nintendo have never actively stopped romhacking. They turn a blind eye to it.
Probably won't go to into it (a bit OT), but it doesn't feel right. Maybe if we didn't have a smash game coming out so soon, but right now it feels like "we are doing what sakurai can't".
Wow. Does this mean we can legally make fan-games without fear of C&D?
As long as you don't put a donation box/ask for money Nintendo usually allows it...but it's not mentioned in Nintendo's statement, only:
Let's Plays, music covers, fanarts.

They are definitely more open now: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/447412/nintendo-will-expand-its-character-licensing-business/

They have just started a Happy Meal promotion with McDonalds here in Brazil!

byfvkIS.jpg

Rich!

Probably won't go to into it (a bit OT), but it doesn't feel right. Maybe if we didn't have a smash game coming out so soon, but right now it feels like "we are doing what sakurai can't".

And what is wrong with that? There is absolutely no difference between Project M and modding for PC games - they fall under the same philosophy and intentions. I'm guessing you feel negatively about the PC game modding community too then? Skyrim for example has been improved to no end by homebrew modders - why can't Smash Bros Brawl (a game with a lot of flaws according to fans) have the same treatment?

Also, Project M has been around for years. Having an update right now is coincidental, but how many people will choose not to buy the new Smash Bros because it exists? hint: basically, no one.

It doesn't affect Nintendo. It doesn't affect their bottom line. It gives fans another way to enjoy their purchased game. Nothing wrong with that at all.

xk0sm0sx

I've made a mistake, the Creative Endorsement Program did not come from Nintendo, but was originally created by Niconico (Dwango) for plenty of works. Nintendo only announced that it's titles are now eligible for it!
The Creative Endorsement Program was setup back in 2011 to reward creators who made highly viewed videos.
If it's okay, can mods remove the endorsement program part from my title?

As thus, this scheme will not come to Youtube as it is an initiative by Dwango themselves.

Sorry for the mistake.

wildfire

Banned
This is pretty good. Fan projects have the hope of getting actual funding if their projects are popular. The community doesn't have to worry about the endorsed company exerting their weight to control the creative message.

The only time I will become worried if an endorsed company decides to undercut fair use laws.

If someone was to do something like assert since they fund the most popular projects they have creative control over unpopular projects by creating guidelines on how to be successful. Those guidelines "coincidentally" always show the company in a positive light. IMO you shouldn't be able to retroactively assert intellectual property protection like this.

I've made a mistake, the Creative Endorsement Program did not come from Nintendo, but was originally created by Niconico (Dwango) for plenty of works. Nintendo only announced that it's titles are now eligible for it!
The Creative Endorsement Program was setup back in 2011 to reward creators who made highly viewed videos.
If it's okay, can mods remove the endorsement program part from my title?
Sorry for the mistake.

Well that's even better news to have it managed by a third party.

Rich!

Project M is probably fine so long as they don't try to make money from it or add characters that had not been in Smash Bros. before.

Nah, that doesn't matter either. Otherwise the entire romhacking scene would be in the shitter.

Project M could add the great mighty poo into the game and Nintendo still would turn a blind eye to it.

Top Bottom