• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Paid Online Services Include Free NES/SNES Game Every Month (for that month)

http://www.nintendo.com/switch/online-service/

"Monthly game download

Subscribers will get to download and play a Nintendo Entertainment System™ (NES) or Super Nintendo Entertainment System™ (Super NES) game (with newly-added online play) for free for a month."

More at the link.

Update 1/13/17: https://twitter.com/kobunheat/status/819956802741747712
"Confirmed by NOA: Monthly free classic game on Switch is indeed only available for that month. More deets on Virtual Console before launch."

"Sheesh, even my explanation was unclear. Sorry.

After a month, you can no longer PLAY the monthly Switch online classic unless you buy it."

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Assuming you get access for that month then you gotta pay for the Rom the moment it switches. (Haven't seen the link yet)

The Hermit

Why this still is not a subscription service...

fucking hell, this was the worst news of the conference

"newly-added online play" hmm?

hmmm indeed, maybe its not too bad

Nintendo sucks at conferences, holy shit

BTA

Ouch. This is the kind of thing where it'd almost be better if they didn't have it at all if they're gonna do it this way.

UraMallas

Like a rental? You don't get to keep? If it's a new SNES game every month that I get to add to my library and keep while I have the sub, I'd be down for that for sure.

Cheebo

Banned
Wait online.?!?!?!?

Holy shit. This is the biggest game news of the last year. Without question. Playing classic games online is fucking incredible.

True Fire

This is pathetic lol. Sony and Microsoft both give away considerable value (debateable at times, but once you crunch the numbers it's acceptable). But NES and SNES games?

Ogawa-san

Who thought the Nintendo that refuses to do sales with deep discounts to not devalue games would give some for free* with a required multiplayer subscription?

Not happening. That 20+ year old game monthly rental is already super progressive for them.

Cheebo

Banned
Why aren't people acting like this is incredibly great news?!?! What the fuck?

VC GAMES NOW HAVE ONLINE MULTIPLAYER FOR FUCKS SAKE

This is mindblowing.

Reallink

The bad keeps getting worse, holy bejesus. A free 1 month trial for a 30 year old game while PS/Xbone get 2-4 modern games they "own" for the life of the service.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
The fact that they'll include online tells me I'll have to rebuy my VC games once again.
Hopefully that's only the case if I want to play it online.

Lom1lo

No party chat ?! A free nes / snes game ?

I hope this costs not more than 15€ per year

edit:
the free game is free for a month and then we have to pay ? I dont know what to say

DavidDesu

Wow NES and SNES games... jesus christ. Surely you don't only get access to each game for a month until the next one hits?! That's fucking awful.

Top Bottom