• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Paid Online Services Include Free NES/SNES Game Every Month (for that month)

Audioboxer

Yes I'm talking about the paid service. It's going to be very unusual if some regions suddenly have to pay to play online when others don't. Or if some regions have to pay to play online and other regions suddenly can't play online at all.

I'd give them the benefit of the doubt basic MP will probably be kept free under the trial for everyone till a set date. It's probably the app that will launch earlier some places, and maybe the 1 month game trials. Even that is a bit of a headache as you'd think it would be best to keep everyone playing the same free games for the same 30 days... Who knows. Only Nintendo know how they are going to roll all of this out. Or maybe they don't and they're just winging it lol.

Seems counterproductive you'd have some friends online talking about how they can all talk together and others can't. Just a mess socially. Gaming is suppose to be global.

nampad

Nintendo can't even cooy the only good thing of the paid subscription services right...

Looking at the lineup, it's no surprise we have to get NES/SNES classics but only for 1 month?

Apathy

I don't know, but the only place you can get official English information on the online service is NoA's Switch page, and it has that footnote disclaimer. The Europe site just says the paid service will launch "autumn 2017". There just isn't much information about this at all. Considering how they're not ready to even launch a paid service until later this year, it reasons that their infrastructure details might not be fixed either so maybe even Nintendo doesn't know.

It used to say:

* Nintendo Account required to access online services.

The paid online service will be available in the U.S., Canada, and Mexico only at launch.

but now it says:

* Online services require a Nintendo Account. Starting in fall 2017, some online services will also require a paid subscription. Paid online service availability may be limited based on location.

Googled still has the cache version

Audioboxer

It used to say:

but now it says:

Googled still has the cache version

Ahhh. That's maybe how I didn't notice it on the page. Either it was a mistake or Nintendo really are winging all of this and just hoping to have it all ready to roll out at the same time...

Shaanyboi

Banned
i think frank has a really interesting take on this
This is the one thing that makes it in any way make sense.

VC games, and most PS+ games feel utterly disposable. I tend to hoard them with little intent of really playing trough them beyond a quick jaunt down memory lane for a single hour or two, save for maybe acouple exceptions.

If they are adding online to some of these, what are the chances of you having a substantial Super Mario Kart online community 6 months down the line? Probably pretty minimal.

But if you treat these like limited events like the Splatoon Splatfest or the Hitman Elusive Targets, for a brief period, you can rally your community around a single game for a period of time to make it something special.

While I think this method will still be incredibly awkward and could easily sour some people if you have a string of bad games, I can also see the ideal version of how this could go and don't think it's without merit.

Audioboxer

On whether you lose access to each month’s game ends the month ends with Switch’s paid online service…

Reggie Fils-Aime: Correct. It means that essentially you’ve got access to that game for a period of time, and then after the month there’s a new selection. You’ll have the opportunity to buy it, but [after] that month we’ve moved on to another game.

I think it would be helpful maybe to step back. Because I think it’s important there’s an understanding of the bigger vision. The bigger vision is that we are going to provide an overall online service, subscription-based, that not only will capture the multiplayer opportunity, but also the voice chat capability that we’re going to provide through a global app. We think that that’s just as important as access to Virtual Console content.

The reason for that is, it continues to reinforce our commitment to online, and do so in a way that will enable the consumer to enjoy their Nintendo Switch and to still be able to play those connected experiences—like Splatoon, like Kart, like fill in the blank—while they’re on the go. Instead of having some sort of bulky gamer headset, you’ll be able to do it right off your smartphone, put in your earbuds that you use for your standard mobile device. We think that’s a pretty sweet solution. That’s part of the overall opportunity that we see in a subscription service.

http://nintendoeverything.com/reggi...assic-games-supply-concerns-3ds-here-to-stay/

This interview has been posted in the topic about the mobile app needed for voice chat. Reggie also gives us the hot takeaway as to why games are disappearing after a month as well...

It's all part of Nintendo's "bigger vision".

MADGAME

http://nintendoeverything.com/reggi...assic-games-supply-concerns-3ds-here-to-stay/

snip... Instead of having some sort of bulky gamer headset, you’ll be able to do it right off your smartphone, put in your earbuds that you use for your standard mobile device.

This interview has been posted in the topic about the mobile app needed for voice chat. Reggie also gives us the hot takeaway as to why games are disappearing after a month as well...

Regarding Reggie's quote in bold above, what am I missing? He's making it sound like the players phone or device with a chat app solves a headset problem, when the player should be able plug in their earbuds/mic/whatever directly into the Switch and not need 2 devices.

I don't get it, it sounds like hot air.

Audioboxer

Regarding Reggie's quote in bold above, what am I missing? He's making it sound like the players phone or device with a chat app solves a headset problem, when the player should be able plug in their earbuds/mic/whatever directly into the Switch and not need 2 devices.

I don't get it, it sounds like hot air.

GAF is going to town on it here http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1333469&page=100000

Crazy spin to try and say a mobile app is preferable to system wide party chat.

VC games, and most PS+ games feel utterly disposable. I tend to hoard them with little intent of really playing trough them beyond a quick jaunt down memory lane for a single hour or two, save for maybe acouple exceptions.

If they are adding online to some of these, what are the chances of you having a substantial Super Mario Kart online community 6 months down the line? Probably pretty minimal.

But if you treat these like limited events like the Splatoon Splatfest or the Hitman Elusive Targets, for a brief period, you can rally your community around a single game for a period of time to make it something special.

While I think this method will still be incredibly awkward and could easily sour some people if you have a string of bad games, I can also see the ideal version of how this could go and don't think it's without merit.
No, it does not make sense. Just by statistics alone, out of 6 games (2 per platform) that something like PS+ or GwG gives every month, there's more options to choose from. I'm very picky when it comes to games and I only download the games that I know I'm going to play, so even for me where I'm sure I'm the minority, I'm only downloading like 1/2 games every month. What if Sony/MS decided to give just one game a month? Rocket League! Sure, it's a good game, but I don't care about it. Spelunky! Loved by many but I didn't like it. Knack! lol.

So why do you think it makes sense for Nintendo to "focus on one game" when you don't know what that game is going to be or the percentage of people that are going to like that game every month? Who cares about what the community is focusing on? I don't buy my consoles to play with randoms and I don't care what randoms like. I care about what I like.

I shouldn't even be arguing this because I've already said I'm not paying for Nintendo's online, but it makes my blood boil that some people are trying to find the silver lining in Nintendo's announcement. Until they show the list of games for the first semester or announce the price of the yearly/monthly sub, this is a TERRIBLE strategy and Nintendo should be called out on it. No ifs or buts, and no spinning. Every other platform holder out there allows you to keep your games as long as you're paying. Nintendo is the exception. Why?

Usobuko

Banned
Nintendo first party games for the past 2 gens have prices that are so expensive and rarely drop after so many years.

This is a bumper because Sony / Microsoft do offer their first party games in PS+ and GwG.

So, do we get to choose any available game to rent for one month? If so, can we rent that game again? Will Nintendo offer one NES and one SNES game per month?

Even giving Nintendo benefit of the doubt this seems like a pretty poor justification for putting online play behind a paywall, especially considering it's...well...Nintendo.

ghibli99

Like... only 1 game, or do you get a NES and SNES game each month? Sucks that it's only for that month either way, but would be nice if you got one of each. Pretty unbelievable that you can't at least keep the NES games.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
This is truly odd. I just don't get it lol.

So I have to instead of being able to have game and chat audio...I get to use my phone and only get chat audio?

What? Like... What?

To be fair with Reggie if your boss came to your desk, slapped a turd on it, and told you to sell it what would you say

"Look it stinks, but you have to understand it isn't as bad as like if he had eaten something stinky, and look you can use it to like prank friends"

Rezae

This is truly odd. I just don't get it lol.

So I have to instead of being able to have game and chat audio...I get to use my phone and only get chat audio?

What? Like... What?

They added the phone as a barrier to protect young kids from voice chat IMO. Although I think the app had an option to disable voice chat period.. So I dunno. It's all stupid.

To be fair with Reggie if your boss came to your desk, slapped a turd on it, and told you to sell it what would you say

"Look it stinks, but you have to understand it isn't as bad as like if he had eaten something stinky, and look you can use it to like prank friends"
"There's even some corn in it! Everybody likes corn, right?"

So you're paying a yearly fee to play Splatoon 2, Mario Kart 8 (which you can play online free on your Wii U,) and....? Nintendo consoles aren't exactly bastions of online games. And one NES or SNES game a month? They have a massive back catalogue of VC games and that's all they're doing? Imagine a service where you paid $10 a month and got access to every VC game. All of them. You'd be crazy NOT to pay!

What is even going on with this voice chat thing? I don't have a smart device. Am I out of luck? What year is it?

Whaaaat? Why? This is probably the worst explanation of why online is going to be paid I could have ever imagined. We're going to offer less games than every other service, you end up owning nothing and we can't even offer voice chat as part of the console itself! Come on Nintendo.

I thought neogaf in general was overreacting to the switch news/info and nitpicking at evry little thing, but man this is stupid. WTF Nintendo? So out of touch it's sad.

Mrbob

Vibranium

Banned
I really hope this is eventually changed so you can play the games as long as you want. But Nintendo do things their way so don't hold your breath.

Here's my thing...

If I'm already paying for online services on my PS4, it is unlikely I will double that expense and also pay for online services on my Switch.

If I am not paying for online services on my PS4, which I am currently not because I don't find the service valuable enough, then I am definitely not going to pay for those services from Nintendo. If Sony can't incentivize me, what hope is there from the Big N?

So, basically, it's hard for me to imagine using online services on my Switch at all. So any games that rely on that functionality or any online experience Nintendo pushes will just be a non-factor for me.

Given their track record, I find it unlikely whatever services Nintendo has in mind will convince me otherwise. But I remain open to the possibility of being impressed, however small that possibility may seem.

killroy87

To be fair, I've been using Skype to talk to my buddy while we game for years. It's much better sound quality, and I don't need to talk to anyone else in game.

That said, I can't imagine why we'd stop using skype in favour of the Nintendo app.

Hagi

I really don't get the strategy in renting out games for a month. I'm not going to say I like even half of the games I get from PS+ or even play them for that matter but the option is always there in the form of the library of games I've accrued while being subscribed. It takes the sting off from having to pay for something that should largely be free. Now this? there's little value here when the only multi-player game I'm likely to play on a Nintendo console is Splatoon 2.

Nerazar

To be fair, I've been using Skype to talk to my buddy while we game for years. It's much better sound quality, and I don't need to talk to anyone else in game.

That said, I can't imagine why we'd stop using skype in favour of the Nintendo app.

Because you won't need Skype to play online, because you won't be able to play online without the subscription. ;)

Reggie is not clearing things up, is he? Maybe someone should ask him how it's possible to play the game while not being able to listen to the game audio, because I'm having a voice chat with my smartphone...

The Jutty

I don't think they have the firepower to pull this off. It's a lot easier to vote with your wallet when there are only like 3 games that have great multiplayer in the foreseeable future and all of them are ports.

Had Nintendo gone for a Sega Channel Lite and had, say, 5 NES and 5 SNES games rotating every month, I would have been fully on board.

1 seems like a slap in the face, online multiplayer or no.

The Jutty

Had Nintendo gone for a Sega Channel Lite and had, say, 5 NES and 5 SNES games rotating every month, I would have been fully on board.

1 seems like a slap in the face, online multiplayer or no.

Or even just let us keep it as long as we are subbed. I'm really excited for this system, but this service and the packed in grip not charging is really shady.

EloNoolah

If PS Plus and Games with Gold give you multiple (relatively) new games a month to keep and play for as long as your subscription is active, literally what is the logic behind offering a single decades-old game a month that paying users don't even get to keep (and that most will probably have already purchased on a past system)? Who is this supposed to appeal to?

fritolay

There are other ways to rally a fan base around a game. If they have an achievement system offer bonus award, put it on front of UI of this event, etc.

NimbusD

They arent satisfied with just being graphically 10 years behind the curve, but they have to in other elements too. UI design... this bullshit...

Well, theres always hope that theyll see this is stupid and doesnt entice anyone, or the service is stupid cheap.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.

I hadn't read the whole thing yet so didn't realise he'd managed to combine the shit subscription game offering as well as the lack of voice chat into one glorious rolling PR piss-pit.

If only he could have also forced in the Charging Grip "choice" nonsense, it would have been the ultimate triple threat.

Top Bottom