• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Panorama View Feature Patented

MDX

panorama-view.jpg

Nintendo has finally gotten their hands on what seems to be one of the more advanced implementations of dual-display gaming, calling it the Panorama View Feature which basically allows you to move the Wii U controller around in order to check out a different perspective compared to what is seen on the TV screen that the Wii U is hooked up to. This technology was recently granted a patent, and the patent document itself has rambled on and on about the kind of gyrosensors that saw action within which helped determine the controller’s change in position.
http://www.ubergizmo.com/2012/12/nintendo-panorama-view-feature-patented/

Nice, but how do they plan to monetize it?

Medalion

Banned
They were talking about this at one of the recent Nintendo Directs

It's just a fancy ass way of interacting with 360 google maps and the like...big whup

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Does this stop Vita crossplay or Microsoft SmartGlass from implementing it - and similarly, third party games that use it from being ported over?

A few games I'd like to see this implemented for:

Pokemon Snap
Endless Ocean 3
Star Fox (allow for ship to be on cruise control or to be controlled by another player while you be the gunner)
Mario Kart: Double Dash (with new controls, same concept as Star Fox)
Stealth game

Durante

It worked with two displays? Name of the app please :)
No, just one display. But adding a second display doesn't cut it as a non-obvious invention in my book. Not like this is the worst software patent out there though, most of them are total bullshit.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Did they confirmed that they wouldn't do pokemon snap again? Sorry to letting yall down if it's true.

I really want Pokemon Snap U to happens too.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Sweet, more moving between distant screens to take me out of the experience.

Pokemon Snap U is the only acceptable application by virtue of it being Pokemon Snap.

Brofield

Came here expecting high expectations of Pokemon Snap U. Wasn't disappointed.

Pokemon Snap would be a great way to also sell on 3DS and create awareness of connective interactions between the two consoles.

I couldn't choose between taking 3D photos of pogeymen and taking asymetric photos on a larger screen. They could easily make money by selling two SKUs on each of their current consoles.

As for connectivity, maybe have completely different courses available that you can download to the other one at a time, or introduce photo challenges to each other, or have different times of day/night to choose from which affect which pokemon come out in different quantities.

Man I need a new Snap.

Reallink

The gyro/accel controls in Nintendo Land plaza are the most uncomfortable, awkward, and unncessary shit I've ever used. I wouldn't touch a full game based around those controls.

The gyro/accel controls in Nintendo Land plaza are the most uncomfortable, awkward, and unncessary shit I've ever used. I wouldn't touch a full game based around those controls.

The TV mimics exactly what is seen on the gamepad in the NintendLand plaza. This patent implies that the what is seen on the gamepad will be different than the TV but within the same environment.

Reallink

The TV mimics exactly what is seen on the gamepad in the NintendLand plaza. This patent implies that the what is seen on the gamepad will be different than the TV but within the same environment.

Right, but the fundamental controls (i.e. gyro/accelerometer/magnetometer based camera/view manipulation) will be identical, no? The problem is that it's awkward, imprecise, and uncomfortable to flail and pivot your torso and arms about (see the patent picture).

1 page and already 2 great ideas. Nintendo please take notes, you're not that good with the Wii U for now, it's time to change things !

KarmaCow

The 3DS AR stuff like Face Raiders was alright, but I wouldn't want a game built around it. I don't like have to twist in weird positions while sitting to get the best view.

Right, but the fundamental controls (i.e. gyro/accelerometer/magnetometer based camera/view manipulation) will be identical, no? The problem is that it's awkward, imprecise, and uncomfortable to flail and pivot your torso and arms about (see the patent picture).

It doesn't have to be so extreme. Just read the thread. There are some practical applications for it. But...

Doesn't ZombiU do this already? As well as Sly 4.

I think it's a little more specific to the way the viewfinder mechanics are set up than those cases. I don't think Nintendo wants to prevent other developers from being limited in using ideas for the hardware Nintendo wants to sell them on.

DjRoomba

Banned
Did they confirmed that they wouldn't do pokemon snap again? Sorry to letting yall down if it's true.

I really want Pokemon Snap U to happens too.

Nah, the makers of Pokemon or something said they wouldnt do it cos they thought it wasnt interesting in the days of iphone cameras. But they didnt make it in the first place, Hal did and noone ruled anything out. I think Nintendo is retarded if they don't implement this Panorama concept into a new Pokemon Snap

Nice, but how do they plan to monetize it?

Anything like this or TVii that can be regarded as a selling point, or a nice feature that can make the Wii U more appealing to consumers, makes sense from a business perspective imo, especially at this early stage of its life as Wii U's library cannot rely on many system-sellers at the moment.

Doesnt the new Sly game have something like this between ps3 and vita?

You hold up the vita and it reveals secrets you cant see on the TV screen?

Maybe because the vita uses a camera they can get around this patent stuff.

Tom_Cody

It is inevitable that this will lead to VR goggles in the future, right? Wii U gamepad features integrated into goggles to look around the environment, Wii remote with nunchuk to interact with the environment. This is the future I want to live in.

Doesnt the new Sly game have something like this between ps3 and vita?

You hold up the vita and it reveals secrets you cant see on the TV screen?

Maybe because the vita uses a camera they can get around this patent stuff.

Can you physically turn around and up and down and view the game world through the vita as if you were standing in it? That's what this is about.

Top Bottom