• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Patent Application(s) - Handheld device with infrared camera/distance sensor

shandy706

20160073033_8fvozg.jpg

One Player Baseball!!!

Throw a pitch to yourself. Hit the ball. Get yourself out.

Awesome!

Pimpbaa

Man, I was really hoping they'd go the Pro Controller route instead of the built-in screen route with NX.

Hasn't this thing been rumored to be both a console and a handheld system, or at the very least just a handheld system? Of course it's going to show a device with a screen and controls on it.

JCX

In Wario Ware: Pesky Patents you will help Wario navigate through the US Patent system by completing hundreds of MicroGames all beautifully realised in Patent-Art style.

I actually want this. Wario patents Wario Ware but someone beat him to it, so now he must fight the patent trolls to win back his series.

inner-G

Banned
Hasn't this thing been rumored to be both a console and a handheld system, or at the very least just a handheld system? Of course it's going to show a device with a screen and controls on it.
True. The drawing just looks scarily like a Wii U gamepad

It's been rumored as a lot of things, I hear the NX will prepare you breakfast every day using the latest in cutting edge technology.

McHuj

please no. i hope this is just a patent for the sake of having the patent.

I don't want wandless waggle.

L Thammy

Some of this is covered by the new 3DS which uses an IR camera and emitter to detect head position for adjusting the stereoscopic LCD barrier to give the 'super stable 3D'.
I expect they will take it a lot further on their next system.

I'm not sure about this theremin like control system they seem to be interested in though...

Honestly, I wouldn't mind getting a video game console that doubled as an actual theremin.

Wouldn't this solve the whole resistive vs capacitive touch screen talk? Resistive touch screen plus this might give us the best of both worlds. If it works properly that is.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind getting a video game console that doubled as an actual theremin.

oh sure, me too! I'm just wary of it being used too much if it requires letting go of half of the system/controller, outside of a Wii style controller that is not ideal.
Index finger tracking while you're holding it might be a useful application, if it can work at very short distances.

I remember when the ps4 dev controller leaked I was wondering if it had a leap motion type tracker in it. The news it had clickable part took care of what I was most interested though, a way to seperate 2d gestures and a 3rd dimension input.

Orbit_shadow

Neo Member
The QOL will mark Nintendo's return back to the industry it once dipped in... By providing non-wearable tech to Japanese love hotels.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The other patents I liked and I found interesting. This one doesn't really make me think about anything that I could actually enjoy.

Hand gestures towards your handheld while you're holding it with the other hand? Sounds tiring and unnecessary. It could make sens towards a fixed point (but that would be Kinect) but towards a device that you carry around and you use mostly by holding into your hands seems redundant and not very user friendly.

This is probably not gonna be much more than the 3DS' Face Raiders or AR things I bet, if it actually makes the cut for NX. Though I'm intrigued Nintendo got this patent, seems like a technology that we've already seen on like Kinect and stuff. I guess it's a different way of achieving the same effect.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
It would make for a great commute though.
watching others slapping or waiving to their handheld.

Somehow Miyamoto rules the whole company so everybody does whichever craziness que comes up with.

But wait..... Last year there was an interview with Miyamoto where he said he would be taking a backseat with the whole NX thing.

Whatever the case, it's a good thing I'm not expecting anything from Nintendo. I'll just take the wait and see approach.

tr00per

In Wario Ware: Pesky Patents you will help Wario navigate through the US Patent system by completing hundreds of MicroGames all beautifully realised in Patent-Art style.

Oh mein Gods. That actually sounds like fun. Patent art should be used in a game somewhere

Hahaha. Classic

Hmm. That certainly lends to the possibility of nx implementation. But can they fix the input lag and make it dirt cheap? I also can't imagine the "projector" being cheap either

Top Bottom