• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Patent Application(s) - Handheld device with infrared camera/distance sensor

Hydrus

The other day I had this crazy thought that the NX was a handheld that also doubled as a mini projector. Crazy shit man.

Nanashrew

Banned
When these patents are filed, do they usually come to fruition or can this also be something that has nothing to do with NX?

Nope. Not everything is a guarantee they will be in the next system. Sometimes it just doesn't work out but you might see it later in another generation where technology has matured enough to properly use it and make good use of it.

Looks really rough. That video was posted in 2013, I wonder how much they've improved on it in 3 years.

Banned
If it improves on the hand gestures for Kinect I'll be down for some optional OS navigation features using it.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
If it improves on the hand gestures for Kinect I'll be down for some optional OS navigation features using it.

For those extra 20 cm that you need to move the hand to do the same gesture on the touch screen?

Edit: in fact if your hand already sits on the handheld to hold it it be able to access the buttons you actually need to move extra to do the gestures in the air.

jdstorm

Banned
Hasn't this thing been rumored to be both a console and a handheld system, or at the very least just a handheld system? Of course it's going to show a device with a screen and controls on it.

The rumour is its a handheld with PS4 level power. And you can connect it to a TV. So it's a handheld that you can stream through your TV when you are at home.

Peterc

I'm afraid that Ninty again is going to come with some gimmick and I personally really don't want that. Simply a new console on par or better than what we have now. That's all I want.

Playstation 4 controller also has gimmick features like the touch panel:

http://media.bestofmicro.com/Q/D/411781/original/PS4-G25.jpg

Does it matter? It's not the main focus.

Iwate told us for sure that we don't need to expect a new wii or wiiu kind of system.
So if they gonna use this, it will not be for allot of casual games.

(ps4 controller isnt bad, they just need to change the dpad, after ps1 it's still the same controller/dpad, I hope sony will rethink this for ps4 in 2020)

E-phonk

Banned
The rumour is its a handheld with PS4 level power. And you can connect it to a TV. So it's a handheld that you can stream through your TV when you are at home.

It's not. That's not even possible. You can't have PS4 level power in a handheld at a reasonable price with exceptable battery life. That technology doesn't exist.

You CAN have almost-wiiu level power, at a lower resolution, and at a reasonable price in a handheld. And you can have a console that runs the exact same software at a higher resolution, with better textures that can compete with xboxone.

What Iwata said about this:
"When this happens, home consoles and handheld devices will no longer be completely different, and they will become like brothers in a family of systems."

After which he directly compared with how Apple can make software once, that runs on most current generations of iphones and ipads with only minor modifications to the software:

"cite a specific case, Apple is able to release smart devices with various form factors one after another because there is one way of programming adopted by all platforms. Apple has a common platform called iOS. Another example is Android. Though there are various models, Android does not face software shortages because there is one common way of programming on the Android platform that works with various models. The point is, Nintendo platforms should be like those two examples"

bumpkin

This and the other patent for the screen around controller buttons really has me hoping Nintendo doesn't go too weird with whatever the NX is about. I get that they pride themselves on being different than the competition. It's something I love about them.

But even if the NX was a straight-forward gaming console that got the same games XB1 and PS4 as at a similar graphical fidelity, they'd still have a potential leg up with their stellar first-party games that you can only play on Nintendo hardware.

SOR5

Strike me down if old

Application Date: 20.08.2015
Publication Date: 03.03.2016

INFORMATION PROCESSING DEVICE, INFORMATION PROCESSING SYSTEM, AND RECORDING MEDIUM

An example system includes: a display processing unit performing processing of displaying on a display unit a home screen containing a selection image and a background image, the selection image being constructed from one or a plurality of images used for receiving selection operation, the background image serving as a background of the selection image; and a scroll operation reception unit receiving operation of scrolling the selection image displayed on the display unit. In accordance with the operation of scrolling received by the scroll operation reception unit, the display processing unit scrolls the selection image while animating the background image of the home screen.

US159932517@@@false

Note that you basically patent any neat idea R&D comes up with, regardless of practicality or intent to use it.

But a mini-kinect on a gamepad/portable? interesting idea, but it runs into the same problem as kinect in that it's not all that great for games.

TLZ

Banned
Yea.

That baseball figure is what's interesting me. I'm still waiting gaming to move to hologram. I know it can be creepy and awesome. The baseball figure is the closest I've seen to what I want.

Top Bottom