• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo patent application shows portable system with interchangable controls

It's one of those things that depends on the person in how much it might discourage or alienate them. There's definitely been a lot of Game Boy games for girls, like Balloon Kid, Sailor Moon and Sailor Moon R, Chibi Maruko-chan and probably lots of games that I'm not aware of. They also made an option of playing a female protagonist in Pokemon Crystal.

But it's definitely not helpful. And I definitely prefer it having a gender neutral name.

Anteo

I feel like I've seen this before...

Either way, interesting concept.

Maybe you are thinking of this (3ds Iwata Asks):

tPunEWu.jpg

Hindl

Please don't make it so they are vertically aligned. They need to be close somewhat while being diagonally aligned (I just made that up, but they should be diagonally away from each other like every other dual stick controller).

Isn't Xbox the only controller that does this alignment?

I dunno if Nintendo or other developers would develop a game that supports 3 circle pads lol.

Then don't do it? This isn't going to force anyone to develop for a control scheme that they don't want to, it's going to let them develop games for a control scheme that they WANT to.

majik13

I dont think this is anythign particulalry new or interesting, at least the idea, and I dont see it really catching on. I dont want a legoish controller that will just create more clutter, and lost parts, and splitting the userbase.

I dont think this is anythign particulalry new or interesting, at least the idea, and I dont see it really catching on. I dont want a legoish controller that will just crete more clutter, and lost parts, and splitting the userbase.

It won't split the user base if the parts are all included with the machine, the games or are really cheap. They could probably sell the parts for 5-10 bucks depending on what the part is. I don't see how it would create clutter either and you won't lose the parts if you take proper care of them or keep them in something like a case.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Then don't do it? This isn't going to force anyone to develop for a control scheme that they don't want to, it's going to let them develop games for a control scheme that they WANT to.

I can absolutely guarantee we'll hear some developer say, "well, we thought about developing for the system, but the nonstandard control schemes fragment the base and alienate the consumer."

sinxtanx

Please explain why.

Well, it's quite clearly

• Worse than the Virtual Boy
  • Worse than apartheid
  • Worse than blowing up the moon
  • Worse than GameFAQs

so I can see where the sentiment comes from.

On-topic, I like this idea and hope Nintendo will do something like it for their next handheld..

majik13

It won't split the user base if the parts are all included with the machine, the games or are really cheap. They could probably sell the parts for 5-10 bucks depending on what the part is. I don't see how it would create clutter either and you won't lose the parts if you take proper care of them or keep them in something like a case.

Thats all a bunch of ifs though. It would split the userbase, when people start loosing parts, or if there are extra new parts sold, upgrades, etc. Yeah in a perfect world these wouldnt be an issue. And I dont see how it wouldnt create clutter. My entertainment cabinet is already filled with game and controller nick knacks.

fred

Pretty cool but not a new idea. I had a PS2 controller years ago that you could switch the d-pad, analog sticks and buttons around. They could be in for legal action here.

I don't like to say it. But I don't think that a modular design on a handheld controller is a good idea.

Especially not from Nintendo. There are a lot of different and unique ideas that I would love to see people try to innovate. But I don't think this is one of them. It also seems kind of underwhelming like a lot of other innovations from Nintendo.

I don't like it when people call the innovations that Nintendo makes bad things. But they're pretty underwhelming to me most of the time and not personally appealing. Motion control is kind of interesting, but I didn't like the Wiimote a whole lot. And 3D was kind of interesting, but it wasn't something I wanted in a handheld. And button controls are probably the last thing I really want to see modular on a handheld and from Nintendo especially.

There are lots of innovations and there's even some modular things I'd love to see in a Nintendo handheld. But it's not the controller. I'd rather see one standardized, good controller that is well made.

For instance, I'd really like a modular OS on Nintendo's handhelds. Perhaps something Android or Debian based. I also think being modular would be really nice for console controllers of any kind, especially if they were able to work for multiple systems. I'd love to be able to make my own console controller just as I would like it. That would be fun.

Neat idea. I can see there being issues with the snap-ins wearing out over time from pressure, especially if the handheld is used by children.

I wonder if the radio communication has anything to do with this.
Sounds like a nightmare for developers.

How developer-friendly this system will be depends on the variety of control pieces that are included in standard console SKU. Developers will have more freedom to design their recommended control scheme if there will be a variety parts included in each SKU.

DaBoss

The point is, you can move the controller modules around and align them however you wish.
I'm talking about the D-pad being directly below the circle pad (circle pad being below D-pad). It should be diagonally aligned.

See how the Vita doesn't have it directly below, but has it closer and just a bit to the right? That's what I'm talking about.
4zq1uKP.jpg

Phades

Instead of removable, why not just have them both be on a rotatable hub with some kind of lock switch? This would allow placement and priority options without worrying about controll set X vs Y.

majik13

pretty much every controller offsets the inputs, so they are not aligned vertically.

The orginal WiiU gamepad had vertical alignment, but thankfully they ended up offsetting it.

5964-image1.jpg

I remeber that was something i was complaining about back then, and posters saying they wont change it, or there is no need, or that there isnt enough room to do it.

regardless patents are ussually super generic designs, so I dont think it would be an issue.

Instead of removable, why not just have them both be on a rotatable hub with some kind of lock switch? This would allow placement and priority options without worrying about controll set X vs Y.

Because
1: there could be more options than could be fit on a hub and that would take up a lot of room anyway.
2: there is an idea about putting Skylanders/Pokemon Rumble stylised controller figures into the slots instead.

Asbear

Banned
This is awfully similar to the 'Project Cafe' rumors just months before the Wii U was unveiled. Somehow this concept looks like it's more than just a 3DS revision. Maybe it IS the QoL platform they're planning? I hope it's a 3DS revision for some reason though, because it has an extra room for Circle pad :3

Phades

Because
1: there could be more options than could be fit on a hub and that would take up a lot of room anyway.
2: there is an idea about putting Skylanders/Pokemon Rumble stylised controller figures into the slots instead.

The hub wouldn't have to take up more space than what is already required to mount existing D-pad/stick combos.

That second thing just sounds dumb to be honest in spite of collectors. Limited run stuff seems to do well, but outside of that i'm just not seeing it.

The hub wouldn't have to take up more space than what is already required to mount existing D-pad/stick combos.

That second thing just sounds dumb to be honest in spite of collectors. Limited run stuff seems to do well, but outside of that i'm just not seeing it.

You plug the figure into the system and it gives you that character in the game, similar to how Skylanders works right now.

I wonder if whatever this is will be introduced as a new third pillar, like the DS originally was. Probably not, but it is fun to speculate.

SerodD

The best part is that there is no second screen in sight. Hopefully this is a sign that the primary one will be high quality for a change.

This is the first think I noticed.

I hope they finally let go of the second screen, also I like the ideia there's a lot of potencial in this if done right.

This is the first think I noticed.

I hope they finally let go of the second screen, also I like the ideia there's a lot of potencial in this if done right.

They are just using the bottom off the 3DS as an example, if it is a two screen system there is no point in showing the top screen when the patent is for the controls. That being said I think it is pretty likely that the next handheld will be a single screen.

clubstoic

Banned
Maybe its a new Wii U pad. Maybe it will release along N64/Gamecube virtual console for changing appropriate button layout?

SerodD

Seems alot like the 3DS prototype
3ds-proto.jpg

Could be old?

Not that old going by the Filing Date on the first post:

Publication Date: 05/01/2014 Filing Date:10/21/2013

That looks cool, but also looks like something that would snap easily and get lost, I wonder what kind of mechanism would make something like this work.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Mmmh...interchangable controls? I like this idea, it could be great (also) for emulation (think about parts resembling buttons / layouts from older consoles) and for personalisation of the console itself.

Mista Koo

Could be amazing if given enough freedom for developers and players.

Imagine playing Ikaruga vertically with the d-pad and buttons on one side. Imagine new generations of left-handed players finally using the buttons with their dominant hands.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
This would be one way to not completely piss off retail, if most games came with custom controls (even if most of them end up being figurine joysticks). Still, Nintendo sure ain't gonna be the first to abandon physical media. They still have a big retail presence here in the U.S. at least.

I strongly believe their next handheld will still use carts for games: they still have an important retail presence in U.S. and in many European countries I'd add. Plus, Japan is not as in love with digital downloads as the West (so much that over there niche and mid-class games still exist, despite not as much as before). But that doesn't mean games couldn't come with custom controls.

...Actually, if a game's physical SKU contains a custom control attachment, it could come at 39.99. AND the digital version could be priced lower since the physical SKU would be a "bundle" (game + special attachment) while the digital SKU wouldn't have that, which is one of the things I'd love to see in the industry in the future (i.e. digital SKUs being cheaper than retail ones). The same for download codes to sell in stores.

steveovig

What's the point? I'd rather have them concentrate on doing something that will improve their position in gaming, not this useless junk. Nintendo tires me out, as of late.

Top Bottom