• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Patents Projector That Displays Flat Images On Uneven Surfaces

I like the idea, basically create a hybrid console with no boundaries.

Play it like a handheld. Check.
Play it on a tv. Check.
Play it on a wall. Check.

You're not alone, I definitely recall seeing a proof of concept video. A projector was also scanning four illuminated corners, and could distort an image near instantly so that it would project flat, even through a mirror's reflection. Really cool tech

Yeah, I would be very surprised if no one else has patented a method of re-orienting a projected image onto an irregular surface. However, that doesn't mean this won't be granted- this could very well be a different method of doing that image correction.

I'm ignorant about this jazz but how can this be cheap???

It probably can't be, and I'd be very surprised to see it in a base NX.

That's funny, I *just* ordered a cheap projector for playing games on a wall in my house I didn't want to buy an extra TV for.

I can imagine this being useful.

Peltz

I would assume that given Nintendo's thinking in the last 5 years, the idea for such a system (whether or not it actually gets used, like a lot of video game and tech patents) is along the lines of "you don't need a TV! Project the image from your handheld any place!"

I would buy the fuck out of this.

Just do this Nintendo!!!!!!!

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
You know, initial reports had a dev describing it as "somewhat of a novelty." This projector would definitely fit that statement.

Altought maybe for other uses like projecting into transparent controllers, interactive UIs in a surface at close range. Maybe.

Btw, if its projecting inside an enclosed surface, like the controller i mention, it solves the lighting conditions problem, since it would offer good contrast.

This, I wouldn't find too hard to believe. Clearly they've been toying around with projectors, so it could follow through with their "lateral thinking with withered technology" mantra and be used for some other purpose, requiring a much cheaper component.

If this were to be true could it just be an accessory?

I guess, but it would likely be pretty expensive and drastically lower the NX battery life (unless the accessory comes with a beefy battery).

Though I can think of two big pros for this type of tech which align greatly with Nintendo's recent strategies:

1. No need for a TV (their biggest goal with Wii U)

2. Greater exposure to IPs in public (like their smartphone strategy, people will see Nintendo IP projected on walls in public spaces)

I still doubt full on game projection will be any part of NX, but an accessory would make more sense than in the base unit.

TrutaS

I am so interested to see what the NX is all about. This is Nintendo Revolution levels of hype and expectation!

I am so interested to see what the NX is all about. This is Nintendo Revolution levels of hype and expectation!
This is what I love about Nintendos new systems. People aren't saying" it's going to be another system with just more power so give me the specs!". Nintendos speculation is about the innovation and what can they bring different to the table. It's so much more fun and refreshing than just "OMG what's the gpu/CPU look like".

This seems like something that Sony would patent rather than Nintendo. It really seems like something that would have a lot of benefits outside of gaming, so it's s shame it might stay there (if it comes into fruition).

TunaLover

Iwata regarding Wii U, in the 72nd annual Q&A meeting:

In other words, it is an appropriate expression, but video game consoles have long been "parasites" of TV sets at home. In other words, game consoles have used TV sets in a family instead of being equipped with their own screen. However, the Wii U will be the first console free from TV sets, in which you can play the Wii U while someone else is watching TV or you yourself can watch TV while using the Wii U. As you can game consoles have used TV sets in a family instead of being equipped with their own screen. However, the Wii U will be the first console free from TV sets, in which you can play the Wii U while someone else is watching TV or you yourself can watch TV while using the Wii U.

The "lan"/multiplayer possibilities with something like this makes me wonder if the handle will make an comeback and if so, will it be purple again...

Wiseblood

Wouldn't this only work if you were viewing the projection from directly behind the projector? If you were too far off to the side it would still be distorted.

I suppose if you were projecting for a crowd of people then you'd just find a flat wall to project on.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
If this were to be true could it just be an accessory?

I'd think so. And maybe added to a more expensive model down the line if they go with that whole "family of devices" thing they talked about.

Base NX needs to be as cheap as possible though, and not drive up cost with a feature a lot of people wouldn't use enough to pay extra for probably. I can see the appeal more in Japan where fewer people have TVs/multiple TVs. Much less so in the US where having one or more big screens is the norm.

Probably too late to be in the NX if they're just patenting it now.

This particular application was filed in February of this year as a WIPO international patent application, which means it was likely filed in Japan even earlier.

Beyond that, it is very likely that the majority of patents that pertain to the NX have not yet been filed, or have been filed only recently, or have been filed with non-disclosure requests, because typically Nintendo does not want their actual hardware ideas to become public before they reveal them. See the Wii and Wii U for instance.

That's not to say this application is for the NX, which I personally doubt, but the timing of filing isn't a factor whatsoever in when and where it can be used.

In order to successfully file for a patent (at least according to US law) you must file the patent application within a year of when your invention becomes public knowledge, so if they are keeping certain technologies very secret then they can file the patents for them whenever they wish, such as after, during, or right before they officially reveal the device which will utilize said inventions.

How wasn't this in Eurogamer's leak if this is a thing?

My wacky theory from page 1 is that dev kits would not need to have the projector since it's not something you have to develop for and should "just work" from Nintendo's end. And if it wasn't in the dev kits, that's why random Ubisoft employee A didn't know about it when he/she talked to Eurogamer.

Projector or not, the way CEOs are talking about NX, such as Yves Guillemot and the Take-Two guy, I feel like there's a piece of the NX puzzle we're missing...

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
fvb1jRU.png

I will do that anyhow without any patent.

NX will be a handheld. The SCD will have a built in projector.

Let's go Nintendo! Make it happen!

$499. DoA.

gafneo

Banned
It's always interesting seeing what kinds of experiments Nintendo's researching or considering for the future.

I don't believe this one will be part of NX but it's still neat.
How can you not believe? It's very Nintendo as UBSoft's president described, it is low cost since projection tech had been around during the conception of film, it looks like the next thing coming from 3DS and Wii after they had a baby. All signs point to yes.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Some inventive way of using this is way more interesting to me than a res bump console. Of course it has to be practical and functional, and I still can't visualize it.

Zarovitch

Most people are spazzy enough that they can't even hold their 3DS steady to see the 3D effect (prior to N3DS), so I imagine a projector would be problematic if it was shining from the handheld itself. "Keep your hands still!"

That explain why the controller can be remove.

AmyS

This is pretty crazy, but potentially crazy-awesome.

Combine a Projector unit (or NX itself being a projector unit that is a totally new type of platform from home console or handheld) with the SCD patents, and the AR / 3D eye tracking patents for viewing 3D with glasses, on normal non-3D TVs. -- The NX could be so different from gaming as we've known it, and also completely different than current VR, I can't even speculate what NX really is anymore.

Just reveal it soon, Nintendo.

ZAMtendo

Obliterating everything that's not your friend
linktablet.png

I think the truth is right in front of us. If not projection it's definitely AR.

The Nintendo Slate.

what-ok

GameCube style? That would be awesome.

Yes. A handle on each side of the screen that are also the controllers for on the go and it they do indeed detach maybe be they will reattach to each other and resemble a wheel for at home play. Just a thought.

AzaK

Annoying Nintendo patents this stuff.

1) They'd never actually do something cool like this
2) If they ever did, they'd have to do a super cheap version so it'll be trash compared to what it could be.

Peltz

This seems perfect for something like wii fit where I may not necessarily want to exercise in a room with a tv in it. Or for the sleeping doodad so it can project my metrics on the wall/ceiling when i wanna check on the.

Edit: This is not a useful peripheral to me in terms of gaming. When I game I want it to either be on a tiny screen (because i'm not near a tv or a place where i could normally be playing video games) OR i'd be playing on a tv. There are very few places where I'd make good use of an impromptu projector. This sounds amazing if you're like 5 years old and don't have a tv in your room and want to play mario kart with your brother/sister.
It's a portable though. Imagine taking this thing outside and playing smash with detachable controllers on a sidewalk projecting against a wall.

That'd be pretty darn cool.

Annoying Nintendo patents this stuff.

1) They'd never actually do something cool like this
2) If they ever did, they'd have to do a super cheap version so it'll be trash compared to what it could be.

Why would they be spending time and money on R&D for these inventions if they had no interest in every using this technology?

I can guarantee you that while you may not see each and every patented invention used (or even a majority of them) we will for sure see a lot of the technologies related to these patents in future Nintendo products.

samn

Tech companies file for literally thousands of patents for stuff they never use. Some engineer thinks of some wacky idea and legal tells them to patent it because hey why not. move along people

Why would they be spending time and money on R&D for these inventions if they had no interest in every using this technology?

I can guarantee you that while you may not see each and every patented invention used (or even a majority of them) we will for sure see a lot of the technologies related to these patents in future Nintendo products.

Yeah 10 years from now you'll probably see some of these patents.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Yes. A handle on each side of the screen that are also the controllers for on the go and it they do indeed detach maybe be they will reattach to each other and resemble a wheel for at home play. Just a thought.

A handle like controllers on each side would solve the problem of the connection with the tablet being in the way of your hand because your hand would be on the inside and the connector would be on the outside. Also would offer a good grip for the whole handheld. Also could offer decent grip when detached and hold horizontally.

what-ok

A handle like controllers on each side would solve the problem of the connection with the tablet being in the way of your hand because your hand would be on the inside and the connector would be on the outside. Also would offer a good grip for the whole handheld.
Bingo. Just like links slate. The gap between handle and screen would be great. Also 4 points of connection for controllers seems more stable.

The projector I have can project into a corner and automatically correct the image.

But I'm interested to see what Nintendo has planned.

Top Bottom