• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Patents Projector That Displays Flat Images On Uneven Surfaces

spekkeh

Banned
linktablet.png

I think the truth is right in front of us. If not projection it's definitely AR.

The Nintendo Slate.
Awesome. Though if the patent is true it needs a camera and Emily says no camera (but it could've simply not been in the dev kit). Then again I always kept open the possibility that it was a controlled leak to Emily, and the real twist was still kept under wraps.

Interesting tech.

I don't know how expensive it would be to include this into the NX (I know small projectors like that one in the Lenovo tablet are a thing, but I lack knowledge of its economy of scale), but it may be an interesting play on the display requirements for the console.

But as with many Nintendo patents, it may not come to fruition in a comercial sense right now.

ZAMtendo

Obliterating everything that's not your friend
Awesome. Though if the patent is true it needs a camera and Emily says no camera (but it could've simply not been in the dev kit). Then again I always kept open the possibility that it was a controlled leak to Emily, and the real twist was still kept under wraps.

No camera? :( If that's the case then I would hope it's projector (get ready for the high price though!).

A controlled leak sounds plausible, I hope it's the case!

It's a portable though. Imagine taking this thing outside and playing smash with detachable controllers on a sidewalk projecting against a wall.

That'd be pretty darn cool.
Unless the projector is lit with the power of a thousand suns you wouldn't see a thing in daylight.

Thraktor

It's worth keeping in mind that the system can only correct the image as viewed from a single angle, so if you wanted to use something like this for multiplayer you'd be out of luck unless you're all squeezed in right next to each other. It also requires a camera at that viewing location (i.e. where the player would be) in order to calculate the corrections, so it's not going to be a magic "drop down your NX pico projector and there you go" solution. It could make sense as part of an AR system if the user is wearing some kind of headgear that a camera could be strapped to, and if you adjust the in-game camera angle in response to the player's movements too you could get a kind of poor-man's hololens effect from it.

I'd firmly put this in the category of "exploratory R&D" Nintendo patents rather than "actually going to be in a product" Nintendo patents, though.

gafneo

Banned
It's worth keeping in mind that the system can only correct the image as viewed from a single angle, so if you wanted to use something like this for multiplayer you'd be out of luck unless you're all squeezed in right next to each other. It also requires a camera at that viewing location (i.e. where the player would be) in order to calculate the corrections, so it's not going to be a magic "drop down your NX pico projector and there you go" solution. It could make sense as part of an AR system if the user is wearing some kind of headgear that a camera could be strapped to, and if you adjust the in-game camera angle in response to the player's movements too you could get a kind of poor-man's hololens effect from it.

I'd firmly put this in the category of "exploratory R&D" Nintendo patents rather than "actually going to be in a product" Nintendo patents, though.
Maybe the projection part is meant for one person. Or maybe it comes with an independent eye tracker like the 3DS cam which could support additional viewing angles.

Part of me wants to imagine all these patents, leaks and such are part of a very elaborate PR strategy to keep people interested and guessing, until the final product is unveiled. Which could be completely different, just to mess with people.

Amalthea

Banned
Imgagine the marketing potential...

"You always thought that handheld screens were too small? How about the Grand Canyon?"

(Obviously 90s-style PR hyperbole)

what-ok

This projection tech could be great for some sort of application, but no way is this for NX or whatever it is called.

Koren

This is probably find be used mostly at conventions and such so they can project stuff anywhere they want without having to take every nook and cranny into account.
Doesn't make sense to me. If the projection area isn't flat*, the result is good only for a SINGLE point of view.

And that doesn't even work that well depending on the materials/colors of the surfaces used.

* actually, it isn't perfect even if it's flat, since you'll have trapezoïdal deformations, but it's not as bad, by far.

Peltz

Part of me wants to imagine all these patents, leaks and such are part of a very elaborate PR strategy to keep people interested and guessing, until the final product is unveiled. Which could be completely different, just to mess with people.

Patents are definitely not a PR thing.

This tech seems perfect for the local co-op on the go they're pushing in the Switch video.
Since everyone is looking at the screen instead of projections: I wonder what happened, ended up being too costly for main SKU? Maybe it will become an add-on?

Top Bottom