• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo planning post E3 presser for Japan

king zell

posted by Anoop

Rumor has it that Nintendo will be holding a big press conference here in Japan immediately following E3.

Actually, this isn't really a rumor. The source is the Sinobi blog -- you know, the blog that always gives out the super early sales information on Fridays. It seems to be a pretty reliable source.

The press conference is mentioned as an aside as the writer discusses how absolutely atrocious the Japanese game market was in May. The writer suggests that Nintendo could end up showing its summer lineup.

That summer lineup will presumably be lead by Wii Sports Resort.

The blog post was made on the 27th, by the way. I really need a new "Two Days Late" tag for all the stories I write two days late.

yes it's another announcement of an announcement thread.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
Okay now I'm kind of worried but this may be completely unwarranted..

If memory serves me right, NCL called that press conference last fall (where they revealed Sin & Punishment 2, etc.) as sort of a response to the hardcore crowd that were vocally upset about E3.

But hopefully that isn't the case this year.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
Hrmmm...pricedrop in Japan, seperate and apart from the world due to the condition of gaming over there right now? More of a serious showcase for DQ IX, FFCB & Monster Hunter Tri too?

VegaShinra

Tim-E said:
Didn't they reveal Brawl at the post-conference presser that year?
They revealed Brawl on the last night of E3 in a private showing. Much like the Pikmin 3 announcement last yr.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
So basically the casual and non-games at E3 and the real games announced in Japan.

jeremy1456

Bluecondor said:
Wait til Spaceworld!

I mean - wait til the post E3 Japan press conference!

Kirby, Zelda, Mario ftw!

I think it's more like 'wait for the October conference'.

That annual event is the only thing which completely makes up for Nintendo blundering E3 each year, and not even showing up to TGS. If Nintendo had given the same show they did at the last one in place of E3 they would have stole the show.

Jaruru

AceBandage said:
That's what I got.
Announce it at E3 and then show it to Japanese retailers afterwards.

yea, something related to the hardware(s)?

motion+ / game bundle official price for NA/JP...
and something more :D :D :D
*hype*

MisterHero

JDSN said:
This is the press conference that Nintendo fans will fall back to when the E3 fails to please.
That's the contingency plan, yes.

Like Batman, we Nintendo fans have contingency plans. And Batman > you, so Nintendo fans > you.

Teknoman

Instead of being pessimistic about it, I think it could be a big time double attack. Excellent E3 presentation, with some huge secondary announcement/ spread of minor announcements at the post E3 event.

sphinx

the piano man
VegaShinra said:
They revealed Brawl on the last night of E3 in a private showing. Much like the Pikmin 3 announcement last yr.

the revealing of Pikmin 3 just goes on to show how fucking annoying this industry is thanks to the stupid secrecy. A guy we can all PM here at neogaf, someone like any of us ( well there's forum users that work in the industry and there's hobby gamers like me but you all get my point ) called Chrs remo, if I remember correctly, had to pull the words out of miyamoto's filthy whore mouth so that the planet earth could learn a sequel to pikmin is in the works.

Thanks to chris' innitiative, we know Pikmin exists! if it wasn't for that, pikmin 3 would be just a dream in the heads of fans. Brawl was officially revealed, Pikmin 3 in the other hand was an uncomfortable answer to an uncomfortable question from a guy that had the balls to ask.

going strictly by that miserable miyamoto comment, pikmin hasnt been fucking revealed and this industry pisses me off to no end.

jeremy1456 said:
If Nintendo had given the same show they did at the last one in place of E3 they would have stole the show.
It's not like they had much competition.

And yeah, I don't even consider Pikmin 3 to have been announced.

markatisu

Most likely it will be what Japan is getting in Q3 and Q4 since right now they have one game (Wii Sports Resort) with no actual release date despite "June" and commercials running on TV

I doubt they would skimp on E3 main presser to put everything in the JP conference.

legend166

I just think the Japanese event will focus more on Japanese content. Wouldn't surprise me to see demos of MHIII and DQIX and such that wouldn't really fit in at E3.

But 'immediately following' is strange, since you'd think Iwata would be hanging around E3.

legend166 said:
I just think the Japanese event will focus more on Japanese content. Wouldn't surprise me to see demos of MHIII and DQIX and such that wouldn't really fit in at E3.

But 'immediately following' is strange, since you'd think Iwata would be hanging around E3.

MH3 will be at E3, though...
And it's not that strange, if it's something that needs to be announced quickly to the Japanese public.

jeremy1456

Aaron Strife said:
It's not like they had much competition.

And yeah, I don't even consider Pikmin 3 to have been announced.

Good point, considering the biggest thing for both Sony and Microsoft was FFXIII being announced for Xbox 360.

It's a sad day when one companies E3 is defined by losing a game as an exclusive, and the others is gaining a multiplatform title.

Nintendo was even worse than those two were though!

legend166 said:

I imagine he would just leave after the E3 conference - did he stay last year for the Miyamoto panel thing (where Pikmin 3 was "announced") afterward?

jeremy1456 said:
Good point, considering the biggest thing for both Sony and Microsoft was FFXIII being announced for Xbox 360.

It's a sad day when one companies E3 is defined by losing a game as an exclusive, and the others is gaining a multiplatform title.

Nintendo was even worse than those two were though!
I dunno though, if WM+ is as good as everyone is saying it is, that could retroactively redeem the 08 conference. But only by a little.

I don't even remember Sony's press conference because like nothing happened.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
The Japanese conference will likely be mostly the same as the E3 conference with some focus titles that are more for the Japanese market, whereas the E3 conference will be targeted more towards Western audiences.

Which would imply that Nintendo has quite a bit to talk about. This is good news.

MisterHero

sphinx said:
the revealing of Pikmin 3 just goes on to show how fucking annoying this industry is thanks to the stupid secrecy.

Thanks to chris' innitiative, we know Pikmin exists! Pikmin 3 in the other hand was an uncomfortable answer to an uncomfortable question from a guy that had the balls to ask.

going strictly by that miserable miyamoto comment, pikmin hasnt been fucking revealed and this industry pisses me off to no end.
Nintendo has dozens of projects that are unannounced and you're crying over Pikmin 3 which was probably just thrown out to stop those kinds of questions at the conference?

Why is it the developers/industry's fault you're frustrated about worrying about games that have shown no solid proof of existence?

Bluecondor

jeremy1456 said:
I think it's more like 'wait for the October conference'.

That annual event is the only thing which completely makes up for Nintendo blundering E3 each year, and not even showing up to TGS. If Nintendo had given the same show they did at the last one in place of E3 they would have stole the show.

Good point! Your post is more insightful than mine (ya the 2008 E3 presentation was/is mind boggling - especially the bizarre Wii Music emphasis).

I was just reminiscing back to GAF days of old - if Nintendo didn't announce the next Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, etc., the phrase "Wait til Spaceworld!" used to pop up in posts and even as the title of threads. People even used to drop this line to criticize the other consoles, as if Nintendo just placated the casuals at E3, and was going to throw down hardcore with the real game lineup at Spaceworld.

Basucally though, when Nintendo failed to announce the next iteration of (insert personal favorite Nintendo franchise here) at E3, "Wait til Spaceworld!" was like a beacon of hope.

Now, there is almost no risk if the latest version of (insert personal favorite Nintendo franchise here) isn't part of Nintendo's E3 2009 press conference. "Wait til the post E3 press conference in Japan" is just 48 hours or so of waiting/anticipation.....

Hive

Banned
Drkirby said:
I will take it.

and how about a new Kirby's Dream Course? hehe

Personally, I want a Kirby's Pinball more than any other Kirby game. Especially since we've gotten quite a bit of platforming Kirby for GBA and DS (and VC!)

GDGF

Soothsayer
I love it when Nintendo goes into 'we have to save the Japanese gaming industry' mode and we get all kinds of surprise shows.

Hoping Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers will be there. That game deserves far more hype than it's currently getting.

jeremy1456

GDGF said:
I love it when Nintendo goes into 'we have to save the Japanese gaming industry' mode and we get all kinds of surprise shows.

Hoping Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers will be there. That game deserves far more hype than it's currently getting.

The thing about the Crystal Bearers is that we aren't even entirely sure how it's played yet.

I'm really interested in the telekinesis action.

jeremy1456 said:
The thing about the Crystal Bearers is that we aren't even entirely sure how it's played yet.

I'm really interested in the telekinesis action.

Seems to just be an action adventure game with pointer controls for your powers staring a badass.

billy.sea

Banned
Don't understand why people want 3rd tier platformer like Kirby so much.
They are fine, but nothing spectacular. The only one that is AAA to me was Kirby Canvas Curse.

How about a Kirby Tilt n Tumble like game for the Wii? :D

Pikmin 3 better not be their big game. Pikmin is about as hardcore as Animal Crossing & Wii Music...

Gimme all those games you showed off at the October conference, plus Mario Galaxy 2 & Luigi's Mansion 2 =D

jeremy1456

AceBandage said:
Seems to just be an action adventure game with pointer controls for your powers staring a badass.

Pointer controls seem natural for the videos we've seen, but there's no clear cut indication yet.

sphinx

the piano man
MisterHero said:
Nintendo has dozens of projects that are unannounced and you're crying over Pikmin 3 which was probably just thrown out to stop those kinds of questions at the conference?

Why is it the developers/industry's fault you're frustrated about worrying about games that have shown no solid proof of existence?

I hate the secrecy, why won't nintendo announce stuff as it comes? Why not so casually comment what they are working on? if they are not sure about a certain game getting past pre-production and/or preliminary phases then just not mention it.

My problem is particularly with pikmin 3 more than any other unannounced game because miyamoto admitted the game was in the works and then went on to not provide any proof of the truthfulness of his words ever since he spoke them out.

did he give an answer only to please Chris or the fans and get rid of their inquiries? then fuck miyamoto.

GDGF

Soothsayer
jeremy1456 said:
Pointer controls seem natural for the videos we've seen, but there's no clear cut indication yet.

I hope they're in there. It would be a perfect fit.

I want to see some more AI interactions between the characters in the game. That's the biggie for me.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
MidnightScott said:
How about a Kirby Tilt n Tumble like game for the Wii? :D

Pikmin 3 better not be their big game. Pikmin is about as hardcore as Animal Crossing & Wii Music...
Gimme all those games you showed off at the October conference, plus Mario Galaxy 2 & Luigi's Mansion 2 =D

So serious lol right here.

MisterHero

sphinx said:
did he gave an answer only to please Chris or the fans and get rid of their inquiries? then fuck miyamoto.
It sounds to me like you already distrust him so why would an off-hand comment made to a super insistent audience of a few readers be any more trustworthy?

Top Bottom