• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo plans more cooporations!

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Link316 said:
yeah well I'd rather get a "real" Cube Wars game made by Intelligent Systems instead, this current one is really just a Kuju game with a "Wars" license slapped on to it

I'll ask again...why? What could a Cube Wars possibly offer that the GBA games aren't already?

ge-man

Advance Wars is quite new. There have been War games since the Famicom. Advance Wars is America's first "Wars" title.

As for creating new characters or series--I think Nintendo likes to work in smalls steps. Sequels are a safe bet but they realize that new content has to come at some point. It also seems like Nintendo would imploy new ideas with current series rather introduce something totally different. That seems to be one way of not dilutting their brands. Why make a new platformer if you can easily incorporated your new ideas into a Mario game?

jarrod said:
I wouldn't expect any Capcom exclusives on GameCube after RE4 however (though new multiplatform games are likely). Partially I think because of hurt feelings due to Nintendo rejecting Capcom's very public investment request (who then went on to invest in Bandai). Really, had Nintendo shown some financial interest, I bet Viewtiful Joe 1-2 & Killer 7 would've remained exclusive, new games like Ookami and Panic Maker probably would've been on GameCube exclusively and Nintendo would probably have gotten content like Oniumsha 3 and DMC3 as multiplatform releases also. Too bad they went for Bandai instead. :/

I didn't know about this. :O bangs head on the wall. What were they thinking? (Not with the Bandai business but rejecting Capcom's request). Getting exclusivity isn't that important imo but getting the titles (provided they hit the shelves at the same time as their PS2 counterparts) would have been useful.

ps Nintendo MUST get Konami back on N5

ge-man

jarrod--That's something I've had been wondering about for awhile now. I think Nintendo might have made a miscalculation by not showing any interest in investing in Capcom. Megaman seems to be second only to Pokemon when it comes to GB sales--that alone seems like a good enough reason to throw a bone at Capcom.

ge-man

Konami is done with Nintendo consoles I'm afraid. They simply have showed no interest. I'm convinced that the only reason that MGS:TTS came to be was because Kojima wanted it so and maybe out of respect of Miyamoto and Iwata.

CrisKre

I already posted this and will post it again.

I gave AW Under Fire extensive play at E3 and it really rocks. It has enough of classic AW and enough innovation to justify its existence, and is executed beautifully. With the development time that it still hast to go it will, no doubt, become a worthy AW console title.

ge-man said:
Advance Wars is quite new. There have been War games since the Famicom. Advance Wars is America's first "Wars" title.

As for creating new characters or series--I think Nintendo likes to work in smalls steps. Sequels are a safe bet but they realize that new content has to come at some point. It also seems like Nintendo would imploy new ideas with current series rather introduce something totally different. That seems to be one way of not dilutting their brands. Why make a new platformer if you can easily incorporated your new ideas into a Mario game?

Pretty much exactly what Miyamoto and co. have been saying for a while now to a tee. They hope to bring lots of new games to the table but will use existing characters in these games. One look at Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat is all you need to get an idea of what that means. The game is fresh but uses DK as a character since lots of gamers (casual and hardcore) are familiar with him. Makes sense to me :).

Oy, and while we're adding Advance Wars impressions, you can check out mine here:

http://www.n-sider.com/specialview.php?specialid=1&page=2004/advancewars

It was good but obviously very early in development. Even in it's early stages it showed tons of potential (especially with a rock-solid game engine already in place.)

human5892

Queen of Denmark
ge-man said:
Konami is done with Nintendo consoles I'm afraid. They simply have showed no interest. I'm convinced that the only reason that MGS:TTS came to be was because Kojima wanted it so and maybe out of respect of Miyamoto and Iwata.
:(

Boo-urns.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
SolidSnakex said:
Should've bought more copies of MGS. :p Konami even said they were basing it's success on whether or not they'd release future big releases on the GC.
I bought one, at least! But I guess that wasn't enough.

Maybe Konami should've thought about promoting the game a little, though.

Mashing

jarrod said:
Capcom's always supported PS2 first and foremost, despite Production Studio 4's valiant GameCube effort. That said, Capcom's biggest problem is probably overestimating their products and moving away from multiplatform development models (which were key on SNES/Genesis & PS1/Saturn). Their early Dreamcast push was a bitter lesson also, I think their heavy reliance on DC/Naomi probably was a significant factor in them abandoning amusement (which was another rather stable revenue stream lost). Capcom recently at least seems to be turning more towards multiplatform development (VJ2, Killer 7, Capcom Fighting Jam) as well as solidly commiting to the new handhelds Nintendo DS & PSP, which is a good move considering GBA was their most stable platform and the only place their games continually exceeded their target sales.

I wouldn't expect any Capcom exclusives on GameCube after RE4 however (though new multiplatform games are likely). Partially I think because of hurt feelings due to Nintendo rejecting Capcom's very public investment request (who then went on to invest in Bandai). Really, had Nintendo shown some financial interest, I bet Viewtiful Joe 1-2 & Killer 7 would've remained exclusive, new games like Ookami and Panic Maker probably would've been on GameCube exclusively and Nintendo would probably have gotten content like Oniumsha 3 and DMC3 as multiplatform releases also. Too bad they went for Bandai instead. :/

You make some good points. I remember vaguely when Capcom publically stated they wish Nintendo had invested money in them. And while I don't believe the money being invested into Bandai is a bad thing (they have some really huge IP's, arguably bigger than even Capcom's strongest IP), in retrospect I'd have reather seen them invest that money into Capcom, strengtening ties between the two companies and eventually leading to a buyout/merger. If Nintendo can somehow get DBZ exclusive on their systems, that will be a huge coup... I think Nintendo is really interested in that property (or they want to buy Bandai outright so they can have a huge toy conglomerate).

human5892 said:
I bought one, at least! But I guess that wasn't enough.

Maybe Konami should've thought about promoting the game a little, though.

Why? If it didn't sell it didn't mean anything to them. They didn't fund it and they didn't develop it outside of the cutscenes. Either way they were going to profit on it though..

ge-man

Mashing--I suspect that's where Nintendo wants to head with investment with Bandai. They still consider themselves a toy company and having a large stake in Bandai would allow them to operate more in that realm. I think Nintendo realizes that survival is more than just doing what they do best--they need a more diverse core business.

Still, it would've been nice for Nintendo to take Capcom up on their offer as well. A fairly significant 3rd party almost begging you to invest in them seems like a rare oppurtunity.

jarrod

Banned
ge-man said:
jarrod--That's something I've had been wondering about for awhile now. I think Nintendo might have made a miscalculation by not showing any interest in investing in Capcom. Megaman seems to be second only to Pokemon when it comes to GB sales--that alone seems like a good enough reason to throw a bone at Capcom.
I'd agree, locking up Rockman.EXE and Gyukten Saiban alone would've been worth the investment. As is I wonder how long Nintendo can manage to keep those titles off PSP...

I should also clairify that I don't think the investment in Bandai was itself a mistake, but the timing of the transaction really was a slap in the face to Capcom.

ge-man said:
With Konami I think the problem is that the various divisions having been made semi-independant has made Konami overall less balanced in their release schedule. While last generation, Konami could allow an entire division (KCEO) to focus on N64 now each division (responsible for their own lineups) seem to be working on PS2 primairily or almost exclusively, with some showing decent GBA support and a few throwing the odd release GC or XBox's way. As such, it seems like Nintendo and Microsoft have to approach each division for support rather than just approaching Konami as a whole... in a way I think it's diluting Konami's overall library, and as a result they're missing out on potential key markets in GameCube and XBox.

SolidSnakex said:
Should've bought more copies of MGS. :p Konami even said they were basing it's success on whether or not they'd release future big releases on the GC.
Did they? I wonder why they wouldn't base market potential on a viable holiday release like Yu-Gi-Oh or TMNT (both of which performed rather well) instead? I'm a little surprised the new Shaman King isn't getting a GameCube release actually... missed opportunity there. I bet Ys VI and Bloody Roar 4 would've done pretty well also.

SolidSnakex said:
Why? If it didn't sell it didn't mean anything to them. They didn't fund it and they didn't develop it outside of the cutscenes. Either way they were going to profit on it though..
Well, why base market potential and future development on an outsourced product you're not willing to support? Isn't that somewhat a self-fulfilling prophecy?

ge-man said:

(Edited for various reasons)

There was a Super Famicom Wars title, although it was for Satellaview.

Advance Wars pretty much had the same boost as GTA (although GTA didn't have the benefit of switching regions for first release) - upgrade the visuals to a certain clarity, and everybody jumps on it. I mean, SFW-BS looks pretty much like Advance Wars...until you start the mission.

If somebody asks I suppose I could blind everybody with some Famicom/Super Famicom Wars screenshots. They are not pretty, to say the least.

Subitai

Well, if it turns out profitable, I don't see the problem. F-Zero didn't deliver. We'll have to see how StarFox does. Anyway, Nintendo knows what they're doing better than I do, and there's probably a good reason for doing things this way.

Top Bottom