• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo plans to "boost" Switch Online after surge in short subscription plans.

Grinchy

Banned
Even Sony knew they couldn't just start charging for online play mid-generation when they brought their paid service out for PS3. Nintendo really screwed that one up. Not to mention, there just aren't really that many compelling online games on Switch for someone to justify full years' worth of online gameplay blackmail money.

Someone who had just played 6 months worth of Mario Kart online is rarely going to pony up to continue. And when the hype from Smash dies down, very few of those people will probably want to continue as well. Just a dumb move. And the already meager online population in their smaller games will undoubtedly suffer for it. Make it about discounts and freebies like Sony had to.

LMJ

I wish I could cut Nintendo some slack when it comes to their lackluster online, but this is their third generation of online on consoles...

They don't only have Sony and Microsoft, not to mention Steam to look at as inspiration of what to do, what works and what doesn't, but they quite literally have over 15 years of various online models to learn and work from.

It feels like Nintendo has taken baby steps, but though arrogance or naivety almost no attempt to create a well thought out and functional online Marketplace, game Space and every time they take a step forward they seem to take at least five colossal steps backward.

To me this seems like the heads of Nintendo trying to cover their butt and too little of an effort at that.

hecatomb

Banned
One of the bigger problems is how Nintendo refuses to add ethernet port to their consoles. Most people are lazy and won't buy the adapter, or kids don't have the money to get it. So you are stuck with people who have shit wifi

Last edited:

Reallink

Switch has so many indie games and gathers so much dust from a large percentage of users (being primarily a secondary console for a probable majority of owners), they really should have started off with $50 annual subs and 2-3 free indie games per month to keep (life of subscription). I don't think virtual console titles (even if they add additional platforms) is going to entice long term subs as they're presumably transient and rotating (or will be in the future). The guise of quasi-ownership afforded by the PS+ and Gold benefits does a much better job of keeping even lapsed players paying the fee, if only for the promise of next month's free games.

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
NES games are literally almost unplayable today. It's basically worthless little trinkets you'd play for 2 minutes as a novelty. And I grew up playing all these.

It needs NES, SNES, 64 games at a minimum. Even then, those are all old games and are much older than what the competition is giving out. They should be seriously considering Gamecube and Wii also. They're way, way, way off the mark.

On top of that, there should be some kind of additional sales or discounts for people invested in the eshop ecosystem that regularly spend money.

I 100% disagree. Legend of Zelda, Mario 1, 2, and 3, Ninja Gaiden, and Dr. Mario hold up very well.

Would love to have Contra and Castlevania join the list too.

hecatomb

Banned
Very few people can actually play ninja gaiden, ghouls n ghost, battle toads, and other games that are just to difficult now a days. Even Zelda 2, is just not a fun game.

db1416

I don’t want to hear the phrase “Giving it our all” unless you set a clear standard for online first party titles, and open up classic games to SNES games soon. Games like Mario Party and even Smash are lacking comprehensive online experiences. So many missing things in each of those games that are unacceptable tbh. Why I can’t play a board with friends or do half the things that were available in Smash Wii U in Ultimate is unfathomable to me.

They didnt. If you unsub, you lose access to all the PS+ games and online play. I wonder what they'll do about it in the future. If i got ps+ games on the ps3, will i have to continue to pay that sub just to have access to them, considering that they wont add any more for the console? To me, that's a rip-off. I don't care if i can get some "free" games, if thy aren't really mine to keep, just to rent, there's no reason for me to pay for that.

Exact, that's why I unsubscribe.

TheUsual

Gold Member
It was $20 for a year's worth. Gave it a shot. I rarely feel ripped off at $20, but this service surprised me.

StormCell

It feels like Nintendo has taken baby steps, but though arrogance or naivety almost no attempt to create a well thought out and functional online Marketplace

They have unfortunately dropped the ball again (and again and again) when it comes to online. There's a lot of griping and complaining in these threads, but I recommend that we all just wait and see. It takes a couple of years at least to build out a good online service such as Xbox Live, and Nintendo has invested a lot in this area as recently as spring of 2018. I'll also be interested to see how they collaborate with the possible inclusion of Xbox Live on the Switch platform--not sure how all that would work, or if it will function just similarly to how it is in Minecraft.

One of the bigger problems is how Nintendo refuses to add ethernet port to their consoles. Most people are lazy and won't buy the adapter, or kids don't have the money to get it. So you are stuck with people who have shit wifi

I 100% agree with this frustration. The Switch, itself, doesn't need the ethernet port, but they could have at least put one on the dock!

they really should have started off with $50 annual subs and 2-3 free indie games per month to keep (life of subscription)

I really like this idea a lot. It would be a way of throwing a bone to some of the hard-working but maybe less noticed indie devs out there. Just think, Golf Story could have already been one of those subscription titles. That's one I would like to try but have never given in and bought.

Very few people can actually play ninja gaiden, ghouls n ghost, battle toads, and other games that are just to difficult now a days. Even Zelda 2, is just not a fun game.

The controller input lag really doesn't help either.

Wheres the N64 games? It doesn't take this long to release an in house emulator and games for it.

I don't mean to single you out, and I mean this response to all the drip feed comments as well. There's a valid concern on Nintendo's part regarding what/when they make available and at what rate they provide it. They don't want to cannibalize their market with retro games. Even the virtual console was viewed as a competitor to new games. Call it silly, but there may just be some numbers to support their concern.

So that's really why they don't lead off with SMB, SMB2, SMB3, LoZ, LoZ:AoL, Metroid, TMNT, TMNT2, etc., etc., ... because if they did that, would anyone even buy a brand new game for $60 that month? You'd have to believe there would be a dip in sales as a result of that. Well, I don't know how much I believe it, but I'm sure that's what Nintendo thinks.

Last edited:
The increase in short subs are people testing out the online before they dive in proper.

If they don't retain the subs then it means the service is not worth the £18/$20 to most people.

Zog

Banned
One of the best games ever made is on there and hasn't aged poorly at all: Super Mario Bros. 3. It's still better than New SMB.
It's also available in so many other places.

- NES Cart
- SNES Cart (All Stars)
- GBA cart
- Wii VC
- Wi U VC
- 3DS VC
- NES Classic
- Wii (All Stars re-release on the Wii)

If you haven't played it somewhere else before now then I guess you could play it on the Switch without a D-Pad (unless you bought the $70 Pro Controller or the $60 Switch NES Controllers).

StormCell

It's also available in so many other places.

- NES Cart
- SNES Cart (All Stars)
- GBA cart
- Wii VC
- Wi U VC
- 3DS VC
- NES Classic
- Wii (All Stars re-release on the Wii)

If you haven't played it somewhere else before now then I guess you could play it on the Switch without a D-Pad (unless you bought the $70 Pro Controller or the $60 Switch NES Controllers).

There are better ways to play it, but, yes, you could choose one of the above for whatever it costs. You could also pay a little to access it on Switch and also be able to play other games online. It's not my favorite way to access the game, but it has certainly aged well and possibly better than any other NES game. It may be the only NES game worth playing, IMO.

FranXico

They didnt. If you unsub, you lose access to all the PS+ games and online play. I wonder what they'll do about it in the future. If i got ps+ games on the ps3, will i have to continue to pay that sub just to have access to them, considering that they wont add any more for the console? To me, that's a rip-off. I don't care if i can get some "free" games, if thy aren't really mine to keep, just to rent, there's no reason for me to pay for that.
They keep track of every game you ever added while subscribed, and if you ever re-subscribe, those games get added again. Don't know what would happen to PS3 and PSV games starting March, though.

StormCell

what other reason is there not to buy the ethernet adaptor, besides being lazy or not having money

I think there's a third reason: lack of knowledge. Do they know about the adapter? If they do, then do they believe it will improve the experience enough to warrant the purchase? Do they play online in docked mode enough to merit the purchase?

This is really Nintendo at fault for not just including an ethernet port.

LMJ

Not stating that PSN or Live can't make improvements either, but Nintendo has had 3 generations to work on their online, they started in the Gamecube era, and since then have had 3 consoles and 2 handhelds...

There is no excuse for their online to feel so half arsed as it is, Sony and MS have learned from each other, renovated ideas and made strides to improve their online services, Nintendo not so much.

I can only hope this is a sign of change to come...

Quezacolt

They keep track of every game you ever added while subscribed, and if you ever re-subscribe, those games get added again. Don't know what would happen to PS3 and PSV games starting March, though.
I know they keep track of it, but losing access to them if you unsub is the part that i hate. they should at least change it for the ps3 and vita, since there wont be any more games released for them, so why not let people keep those games forever, instead of having to continue to pay for something that wont give them anything else.

hecatomb

Banned
I think there's a third reason: lack of knowledge. Do they know about the adapter? If they do, then do they believe it will improve the experience enough to warrant the purchase? Do they play online in docked mode enough to merit the purchase?

This is really Nintendo at fault for not just including an ethernet port.
Im pretty sure ive seen Hori ethernet adapters at game stop before

Last edited:

StormCell

Im pretty sure ive seen Hori ethernet adapters at game stop before

I have never. I wasn't looking for it, though... Too many hours reading code documentation has given me tunnel vision.

What is that saying.... about never attributing to malice (or in this case laziness) what you can explain away as stupidity?

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
stop being slow cheap bastards and dump a bunch of NES and SNES roms on the system. I mean it cant be hard to drop at least all the classic SNES/NES games on the thing ASAP and then another 10 a month at least.

I am sure that would get more people interested if you had 50+ games to start and another 120 at least over the next year.

It would definitely get me interested.

NickFire

My guess is they will remove the F2P (Fortnite) exception and maybe add a couple games no one cares about from 1994. Then claim they have boosted the value of it and everyone signed up.

Ornoku

They have unfortunately dropped the ball again (and again and again) when it comes to online. There's a lot of griping and complaining in these threads, but I recommend that we all just wait and see. It takes a couple of years at least to build out a good online service such as Xbox Live, and Nintendo has invested a lot in this area as recently as spring of 2018. I'll also be interested to see how they collaborate with the possible inclusion of Xbox Live on the Switch platform--not sure how all that would work, or if it will function just similarly to how it is in Minecraft.

I 100% agree with this frustration. The Switch, itself, doesn't need the ethernet port, but they could have at least put one on the dock!

I really like this idea a lot. It would be a way of throwing a bone to some of the hard-working but maybe less noticed indie devs out there. Just think, Golf Story could have already been one of those subscription titles. That's one I would like to try but have never given in and bought.

The controller input lag really doesn't help either.

I don't mean to single you out, and I mean this response to all the drip feed comments as well. There's a valid concern on Nintendo's part regarding what/when they make available and at what rate they provide it. They don't want to cannibalize their market with retro games. Even the virtual console was viewed as a competitor to new games. Call it silly, but there may just be some numbers to support their concern.

So that's really why they don't lead off with SMB, SMB2, SMB3, LoZ, LoZ:AoL, Metroid, TMNT, TMNT2, etc., etc., ... because if they did that, would anyone even buy a brand new game for $60 that month? You'd have to believe there would be a dip in sales as a result of that. Well, I don't know how much I believe it, but I'm sure that's what Nintendo thinks.
I think it's more laziness compared to anything else. The Switch has about the same pace of games being released for it that the Wii U did and it has n64 games, same with the Wii. Everything they've done with the switch it just taking forever.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Amazing that's it's 2019, and Nintendo's view of online gaming and it's services is something MS and Sony had done during their 360/PS3 launches in 2005/2006.

Haven't tried Switch online (but maybe one day I'll test it out on my niece's system), but I bet playing Unreal Tourney on PC back in 2000 was easier to do online.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
Wheres the N64 games? It doesn't take this long to release an in house emulator and games for it.
You know why - they want to charge for every year they have left for the lifetime of the Switch.

And if the only benefit of that charge outside of the online gameplay blackmail is going to be a list of classic roms, then they need to spread it out to keep people wanting to pay.

People who think these old roms justifies the $20 price might be excited about spending their next $20 if SNES is suddenly introduced. But if you give everyone everything now, how will you get people to pay for year 2, 3, 4, ect?

hecatomb

Banned
It is if you're a masochist.
I can beat all the dark souls games, bloodborne no problem. But games like ninja gaiden, are just bs. They have infinite re-spawning enemies, that 1 hit knocks you back off cliffs just like castlevainas. Its just not fun also having games with limited continues, no saves and instant deaths everywhere.

Ornoku

You know why - they want to charge for every year they have left for the lifetime of the Switch.

And if the only benefit of that charge outside of the online gameplay blackmail is going to be a list of classic roms, then they need to spread it out to keep people wanting to pay.

People who think these old roms justifies the $20 price might be excited about spending their next $20 if SNES is suddenly introduced. But if you give everyone everything now, how will you get people to pay for year 2, 3, 4, ect?
Release games in waves, every three months release nes games, next three months snes, next three n64.

Top Bottom