• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo PlayStation...so, apparently someone has one.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Backstory: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SNES-CD

The success of the project spurred Nintendo to enter into a partnership with Sony to develop both a CD-ROM add-on for the Super NES and a Sony-branded console that would play both SNES games, as well as titles released for the new SNES-CD format.

This looks to be the standalone unit. Similar to the Turbo Duo.

Elaborate fake, or Krazy Ken's daughter raiding his storage closet?

https://imgur.com/a/Ll9kS
laaXzFe.jpg

HvBKn1x.jpg

6UBJrG3.jpg

1mzWul8.jpg

xgaRKE4.jpg

GAMlggs.jpg

rZFpZH6.jpg

CI9P4LFUcAAwCCm.jpg:large

1y9lXVE.jpg

Update 1: Owner has posted a video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCV6RusogAk

Update 2: Polygon has an interview with the owner. http://www.polygon.com/2015/7/3/8889237/Nintendo-Play-Station

Dan Diebold woke up to a hangover and a lot of emails Friday morning, all of them asking about a series of pictures he posted on reddit of what seemed to be the unicorn of gaming history: a prototype of the never released Nintendo Play Station.

Only 200 of the consoles were said to have ever been made and all of them were ordered destroyed. But here it was, in a series of photos, the glorious, boxy grey machine sporting both a cartridge slot and a CD tray.

"I found it a couple of years ago," Diebold told me today in a phone interview. "My dad had it in his attic."

Diebold, who isn't a collector, but does play video games, said he left it with his dad in Philedelphia when he moved to Denver, Colorado. He asked his dad to send along pictures so he could post them, but the one, not-so-great photo his dad sent him wasn't very believable.

This week, Diebold flew back to Philly to celebrate the Fourth with family and decided to swing by his dad's house to dig up the old treasure and take some better photos. During my call with him, I asked him to shoot a video as well. Which he did and posted to YouTube. You can watch it below.

But how did his father stumble across such a legendary piece of gaming history?

Perhaps it was fate.

Terry Diebold, Dan's father, worked as a maintenance man at a company called Advanta Corporation from 2000 to 2009. As chance would have it, Olaf Olafsson, a then 35-year-old physicist and best-selling novelist, was the president of the company. Olafsson also happened to be the former CEO of Sony Interactive Entertainment, a unit of Sony created in 1991 to, among other things, create and bring to market the PlayStation. It was during Olafsson's time that Sony worked to establish a relationship with Nintendo to create a peripheral that would allow the Super NES to play CD games. The company also worked on creating a Sony-branded device that would play both SNES games and SNES-CD games.

A falling out at the Consumer Electronics Show in 1991 broke the companies apart, but not before 200 of the prototype Play Stations were created.

After leaving Sony, Olafsson went to work at Advanta. In 2009, Advanta filed for bankruptcy.

Enter Terry Diebold.

"When they went bankrupt the company ordered my dad to throw a bunch of shit out," Dan Diebold said. "As he was cleaning out the rooms he found this box."

Inside, what appeared to be the prototype for the SNES Play Station.

"He kept a bunch of stuff from there," Dan Diebold said. "My dad has tons of old systems and shit. He keeps everything."

Dan says he hasn't tried turning the system on yet because its missing the power cord, but that he plans on buying a cord that will work with it soon to test it out. The system also has a cartridge and a CD. He has no idea what's on either.

As for the future of the system, Diebold says he's not exactly sure what he's going to do with it yet.

"At the moment, I don't know," he said. "I'm sure my dad would think about selling it because he's pretty broke."

He added that he's going to bring the console back with him to Denver and might have a friend who runs a retro game shop have a look at it.

Update 3: Someone found an old/official pic of this model.
MMg5Vg2.jpg

Update 4:
More SNES PlayStation patents from Japan:

http://astamuse.com/ja/published/JP/No/1994075663
http://astamuse.com/ja/published/JP/No/1994089566

000002.png

The last one shows the insides!

Doesn't seem photoshopped, hmm....

I'm guessing it was just a design mockup or something. No way this actually existed but didn't leak until now.

edit: an s-video port on a console from 1992? something doesn't compute here.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I love how the plastic is stained, but I can't shake the Chinese pirate console feel of the whole thing.

Well this is pretty fuckin' interesting. I dunno. I feel like it's one of those things where "but the yellowed plastic!" is supposed to be the key piece of sleight of hand here.

...or it's actually real. But how? And why would there be zero nintendo branding on it?

I have a hard time believing that anything could get that far in production/prototyping and nobody ever talked about it

jholmes

There isn't one Nintendo logo on it anywhere?

I wasn't at CES or anything so that might be legit, but it does seem odd to me.

Doubt this is real…the fact that it has Playstation "branding" on both the controller and console during prototyping seems fishy as hell…especially since it's similar to the font Sony would ultimately end up using for the PSX.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
What if this happened? Would Sega still be around? Would MS have entered the console space?
Would Ouya have succeeded?

Who

Banned
Well this is pretty fuckin' interesting. I dunno. I feel like it's one of those things where "but the yellowed plastic!" is supposed to be the key piece of sleight of hand here.

...or it's actually real. But how? And why would there be zero nintendo branding on it?

Yeah seriously. If the reason Nintendo backed out of the deal was because Sony insisted on full branding rights...that'd be insane.

Nanashrew

Banned
There isn't one Nintendo logo on it anywhere?

I wasn't at CES or anything so that might be legit, but it does seem odd to me.

Nintendo stuff are on the back and out of sight. Sony wanted full branding rights and why Nintendo backed out of the deal.

Komo

Banned
Well, prototypes are indeed a thing, so I'm leaning towards this being true.

If so, I'm very intrigued!

jholmes

Nintendo stuff are on the back and out of sight. Sony wanted full branding rights and why Nintendo backed out of the deal.

That sounds familiar. I always thought it was really ballsy of them to take a fucking Super Famicom controller and take Nintendo's name off it and slap Sony on it instead. Like, who are you kidding?

Then they just put these little handles on it, doubled the L and Rs and changed the button names so I guess not much changed after that.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Wasn't the disc drive always going to be an add on? Console Wars made no mention of an actual unit being built.

Wikipedia says
The success of the project spurred Nintendo to enter into a partnership with Sony to develop both a CD-ROM add-on for the Super NES and a Sony-branded console that would play both SNES games, as well as titles released for the new SNES-CD format.

This looks to be the standalone unit. Similar to the Turbo Duo.

Why would it say Super Famicom on the back of the controller if it was to be a new console? I'm inclined to call this a fake.

Actually reading the magazine article about the making of playstation that my link above links to it seems the image I posted is not really a prototype PS1 but in fact a prototype SNES with a CD drive so I guess it might be legitimate?

Doesn't seem photoshopped, hmm....

I'm guessing it was just a design mockup or something. No way this actually existed but didn't leak until now.

edit: an s-video port on a console from 1995? something doesn't compute here.

The Megadrive had a S-video output which was released years before 1995.

jholmes

Why would it say Super Famicom on the back of the controller if it was to be a new console? I'm inclined to call this a fake.

I was going to say that it makes sense they'd only print the Sony logo on a real SF controller and wouldn't actually use custom moulded plastic with the Sony logo on it, but then the plug-in end of the controller has the Sony logo, as you can see clearly in one of those pictures.

So yeah I don't know if that makes it fake, but it does seem odd.

GnawtyDog

Banned
I never encountered this prototype before in my days of Nintendoage nerdage... otherwise I would of bought it off eBay or seen a sale of it. If real omggg!!!....added to the list of things to acquire.

Top Bottom