• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo PlayStation...so, apparently someone has one.

Polygon has a fascinating interview up.
http://www.polygon.com/2015/7/3/8889237/Nintendo-Play-Station

Also noticed in the comments user 'oldtaku' translated the cart and it says its a demo from Oct' 92. (holy crap if that works!)

This story mentions a disc.

Bob-Office-Space-Licking-Upper-Lip.gif

Honestly the computers are just as potentially interesting as the prototype itself, if they came from Olaf

I hadn't thought about that.

Also, what's up with this?
MBMM from AG said:
Can we please stay on topic with this? If you guys want to post annoying Youtubers, go to off-topic. This topic has completely blown up and not in the way I'd hoped. Can we chill out and wait for the user? Let's just be patient. I could see this topic going to page 25 by the end of the night, and that's unfortunate.

Wat at the bolded. I keep re reading that and it makes zero sense.

This story mentions a disc.

Bob-Office-Space-Licking-Upper-Lip.gif

It's probably just Sony's version of Encarta on the disc.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Gaming would be fucked if this thing came out

Sega and Nintendo would have eventually caused another video game crash with all their dumbass decision making and PC would probably be the only platform to play the kinds of games we take for granted now.

You overshot, move over one universe to the left where Sony and Nintendo form a successful and long lasting partnership spanning console generations. Where in 1999 as SEGA is just about to go bankrupt from 4 years of being crushed like a snail on a pavement by the combined might of its foes, who should step in and save the day? That's right - Microsoft buys SEGA. Now all your Dreamcast masterpieces are Xbox launch titles, and we have two of the most amazing console manufacturers ever to grace the multiverse!

Apparently 200 of these were produced and the story goes that SONY was pushing this out on there own in 1992/93 after Nintendo f*cked them over with Phillips. I guess due to agreements they still had the right to produce this 'playstation' CD version of the SNES that was originally going to be released alongside the add on for Nintendos console. In the end Sony scrapped this and then moved forward with the 32 bit console for release in 1994.

This prototype's discovery might prove that Sony did intend to release this regardless of their fallout with Nintendo.

Nintendo fucked them over at the CES show in June 1991. The hand written date on the prototype cartridge here clearly states October 1992. So they were still developing for this after the split.

The plot thickens...

Sakujou

Banned
i really would love to know if that guy and olaf had more than one prototype. i think olaf kept the last working prototype/best looking/earliest prototype for a reason.
also it baffles my mind that this was sitting since 92 somewhere in a bunker and NO ONE EVER CAME ACROSS.

also i dont think that olaf is the only person who had his hands on the prototype.

there must me someone else out there.

ken/shu/sony/nintendo. somewhere.

Cheerilee

If a CD Secret of Mana copy appears I'll lose my shit.

So will SquareEnix. You can bet your ass they'll try to kill it.

This prototype's discovery might prove that Sony did intend to release this regardless of their fallout with Nintendo.

Nintendo fucked them over at the CES show in June 1991. The hand written date on the prototype cartridge here clearly states October 1992. So they were still developing for this after the split.

The plot thickens...
IIRC, Sony and Nintendo "played chicken" for approximately one year after Nintendo's throwdown of the gauntlet at CES, trying to see which side would blink first.

i really would love to know if that guy and olaf had more than one prototype. i think olaf kept the last working prototype/best looking/earliest prototype for a reason.
also it baffles my mind that this was sitting since 92 somewhere in a bunker and NO ONE EVER CAME ACROSS.

also i dont think that olaf is the only person who had his hands on the prototype.

there must me someone else out there.

ken/shu/sony/nintendo. somewhere.

If this thing sells for $100,000+ they will miraculously appear

Consumer DVD's didn't exist in 1991. The technology was already there though ;)

It doesn't seem like anything was finalised until 1995, though, and even after that it wasn't common for movies until around 1998 onwards. The description seems like it was mixed up with the PS2.

Sakujou

Banned
If this thing sells for $100,000+ they will miraculously appear

someone on reddit already offered a million.

iam not sure if that was a troll or not, but i would say that very realistic.

this, ladies and gentlemen is the holy grail of gaming.

kizuna encounter, world championship are nothing against this little cutey here.

this is a fucking prototype.

there was only one blurry pic for nearly 2 decades until that one special which was written and shown 2 years ago.

that a system was still in existance, or even in some weird attic is a major thing.

MCN

Banned
It doesn't seem like anything was finalised until 1995, though, and even after that it wasn't common for movies until around 1998 onwards. The description seems like it was mixed up with the PS2.

I think they just got mixed up between CDs and DVDs.

The Cowboy

WOW, if this is real and turns on and boots up and a game is on that cart that's actually playable - then holy crap.

In a month we've had Last Guardian, FF7 remake, Shenmue 3 and now this, it just keeps coming up greatness.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

kizuna encounter, world championship are nothing against this little cutey here.

there was only one blurry pic for nearly 2 decades until that one special which was written and shown 2 years ago.

that a system was still in existance, or even in some weird attic is a major thing.

All of this. This is definitely gaming's Holy Grail, and changes gaming as we know it today (for the better).

Josh7289

I still can't get over that Sony PlayStation branded Super Famicom controller. How cool is that? What a crazy alternate history.

A MILLION united states dollars?!
The NWC cart went for just shy of $100,000.00
The highest I would see this being sold for is $400,000.00

I suppose if you have a million dollars to throw around, why not.

Wow, what an interesting relic of gaming history.

Here are some drawings from a related Sony US Patent filed in '91 (and published in 94):

And a Sony European Patent application filed and published in '92 with a bit different design:
Abstract: A game computer utilizes a 16-bit CPU and accepts either ROM game cartridges via a cartridge port provided on an upper face thereof or optical disks via a disc drive provided within the computer casing. The cartridge port and the disc drive may be configured in a variety of ways allowing various convenient and compact options for using and for manufacturing the unit.

...and a design from "Prior Art" (from the same EU patent application), with the disc-drive as an add-on.

Discomurf

I'm hoping Polygon (or another media outlet) recognizes the value and offered to help film the 'boot up'... let's just hope it doesn't end up being a Geraldo moment.... maybe Olaf knew it didn't work. X^o

uh that picture is factually incorrect. DVD's didnt exist in 1991. I guess the article means Compact Disc technology?

The first DVD player launched in 1995, the same year as the actual PlayStation. Since the DVD format was in development in cooperation with both Philips and Sony within the same timeframe as this prototype, it actually stands to reason that a DVD-equiped PlayStation would've been considered and even prototyped.

"Superdisc" could even be a codename for DVD (like "Super Density Disk" was). Considering its logo placement alongside the Compact Disc logo - this dude could have an early DVD drive. You never know...been a crazy summer.

I'm hoping Polygon (or another media outlet) recognizes the value and offered to help film the 'boot up'... let's just hope it doesn't end up being a Geraldo moment.... maybe Olaf knew it didn't work. X^o

Crecente made sure to point out that the guy didn't make a video of the thing until he told him to do so during the phonecall.

Pretty sure this guy is gonna be filming everything that happens going forward. Or hopefully he will.

Imagine the horror when we see him fry the thing by accidentally setting the wrong voltage when plugging in the Radio Shack AC adapter he uses.

The first DVD player launched in 1995, the same year as the actual PlayStation. Since the DVD format was in development in cooperation with both Philips and Sony within the same timeframe as this prototype, it actually stands to reason that a DVD-equiped PlayStation would've been considered and even prototyped.

"Superdisc" could even be a codename for DVD (like "Super Density Disk" was). Considering its logo placement alongside the Compact Disc logo - this dude could have an early DVD drive. You never know...been a crazy summer.

This would be too amazing to believe. I hope its true.

Xtars

This dude doesn't realize the importance and value of this piece of hardware, just as he went on saying to the guys at polygon in the interview

He added that he's going to bring the console back with him to Denver and might have a friend who runs a retro game shop have a look at it.

This isn't something you bring to just any guy who owns a retro game shop, this is a very, very special item.

RoyalFool

Banned
This isn't the only one, the CD is probably a helicopter game.

Won't say anymore, other than the game was close to being finished unfortunately. The second game of that year that didn't get published due to license issues, first one just had wheels (well a wheel).

(any ex argonaut staffers on the forums?)

Sakujou

Banned
This dude doesn't realize the importance and value of this piece of hardware, just as he went on saying to the guys at polygon in the interview

This isn't something you bring to just any guy who owns a retro game shop, this is a very, very special item.

fucking this.

this is some random kid who usually plays facebook games. he doesnt know anything about gaming.

this piece is the holy grail of gaming as well as the stuff which is maybe at his dads attic. definitely worth checking out and i think maybe there will be some stuff like cartridges or maybe even super discs (demoes would me enough)

The Cowboy

Reading the reddit page on this, someone pointed out the sticker could be a 2, imagine if this is the 2nd one produced - the mind boggles.

If only this happened..

Nintendo Handled the games.. Sony created the Hardware.

Would xbox even been able to penetrate the market with that jauggernaut

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Crecente made sure to point out that the guy didn't make a video of the thing until he told him to do so during the phonecall.

Pretty sure this guy is gonna be filming everything that happens going forward. Or hopefully he will.

Imagine the horror when we see him fry the thing by accidentally setting the wrong voltage when plugging in the Radio Shack AC adapter he uses.

He needs to have a team of professionals document this. That way it is thoroughly examined to see what capacitors, etc need swapping first.

Sakujou

Banned
Reading the reddit page on this, someone pointed out the sticker could be a 2, imagine if this is the 2nd one produced - the mind boggles.

there are clearly more than 2.

have a look at the prototype we know.
then there were maybe the prototypes, which were shown 3 years ago and somewhere in between this little beauty.

if i had the money i would track everything down.

oh my gawd, what a great day.

Discomurf

Holy crap that would be heartbreaking (but maybe hilarious?) -- I hope he finds someone that really knows what they are doing before he plugs this Ark of the Covenant in... the suspense is building.

The Cowboy

there are clearly more than 2.

have a look at the prototype we know.
then there were maybe the prototypes, which were shown 3 years ago and somewhere in between this little beauty.

if i had the money i would track everything down.

oh my gawd, what a great day.

I'm talking about it being the 2nd one built of this version of it, it was said 200 or so got made - I'm imagining (hoping) this is number 2 of 200.

Rich!

Why do these things always seem to firstly end up in the hands of people with no fucking clue of their importance?

Fucks sake kid. Send it to Byuu. Now.

The way he talks about it and handles it in the video is pissing me off. It's the goddamn gaming holy grail and its in the hands of some kid who is gonna shove it in his rucksack and take it to a hobbyist gaming shop where it will be likely blown up.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Nah, I'm sure Ted at GameGuyz, suite 115 in the Boulder Strip Mall, has a handle on it. We're in good hands.

You are breaking my heart!

I remember being 13/14 years old reading about these prototypes in EGM and Nintendo Power.

And followed every little bit about it since then when the internet popped.

This kid probably has the most sought after gaming collector's item of all times. Legit. This is what changed the face of modern gaming as we know it! I beg him to take special care.

So, it's real?!? Really hope this gets into the proper hands before its either destroyed or...destroyed.

Always found this to be one of the most amazing pieces of hardware in my history of following gaming. Always wanted to see one let alone own one, this is truly amazing. I just hope it doesn't go all wrong.

Nah, I'm sure Ted at GameGuyz, suite 115 in the Boulder Strip Mall, has a handle on it. We're in good hands.

Why do these things always seem to firstly end up in the hands of people with no fucking clue of their importance?

Fucks sake kid. Send it to Byuu. Now.

The way he talks about it and handles it in the video is pissing me off. It's the goddamn gaming holy grail

Lol *head in hands*
hopefully someone gives him an offer he can't refuse that knows what they are doing.
Who knows at this point. I expect the worst now.

The Cowboy

No one's going to pay more than 20 grand for this, trust me.

If a rare Nintendo game can fetch $100k, this thing if real (working or not) will fetch a lot more than $20k, if not working i could see over $100k easy, if working then the sky's the limit really.

Stiler

Seriously, this guy is literally sitting on a goldmine.

He needs to contact professionals (from a museum, etc) that would actually have experts that know engineering and things that can come in, look the thing over, see what can be fixed to make it work (without breaking it) all while it's documented for everyone to see and enjoy.

Then have someone that can rip it and the carts/cds so people can dig into it and salvage from it and keep it going, like with Mame and arcade cabinets.

After all of that is said and done then he can decide to sell it off to someone or let a museum have it.

I don't get why a Museum or someone hasn't contacted him yet? This is like one of the holy grails of gaming technology.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Seriously, this guy is literally sitting on a goldmine.

He needs to contact professionals (from a museum, etc) that would actually have experts that know engineering and things that can come in, look the thing over, see what can be fixed to make it work (without breaking it) all while it's documented for everyone to see and enjoy.

Then have someone that can rip it and the carts/cds so people can dig into it and salvage from it and keep it going, like with Mame and arcade cabinets.

After all of that is said and done then he can decide to sell it off to someone or let a museum have it.

I don't get why a Museum or someone hasn't contacted him yet? This is like one of the holy grails of gaming technology.

This, so much this.

Way more realistic documentary, and more interesting, than the ET BS Doc that was put out.

Top Bottom