• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo PMs Wii owners to buy WiiU; "Not just an upgrade".

suaveric

I've had multiple friends at work in the last year who didn't know the 3DS was the really the DS 2 so they just bought the cheaper one for their kids thinking it was the same thing. I don't think that Nintendo is dropping the original DS just because the sales are tapering off, I think it's to force people to buy the 3DS.

They really fucked up when it comes to naming these last two systems.

TheOGB

Banned
Just walked out to get some water and noticed the Wii was glowing.

I thought to myself "What the hell would they update? Haven't they moved on?"

Fox318

I think at its core it's a good idea.

That said, I kind of wonder how many people fit all of the following criteria:

1.) Still actively using their Wii despite Nintendo having released their last major software quite a while ago.
2.) Have their Wii connected online.
3.) Read the messages sent to them.
4.) Did not already know of the Wii U.
5.) Did not just purchase a Wii and thus would potentially be interested in a Wii U.

I think that's the problem with this. Who is still using their Wii and doesn't know about the Wii U? And the Wii U does nothing to further the Wiimote gameplay that people have played on the Wii. Nintendo went in a different direction and gave up on what truly was the Wii experience when they added the second screen.

The problem is that Nintendo HAS to tell their Wii owners that the Wii U isn't just an upgrade. Sony and Microsoft weren mt stupid enough to create a new console that was confused for a simple upgrade from the old. Even Nintendo admits people aren't understanding the Wii U is a brand new console.
I know, but from the wider context, it's clear they think the issue is people thinking that the it's just a Wii with a new controller and/or a peripheral for the Wii that somebody owns; ergo the wording is still strange.
I'm not sure why people are focusing on the upgrade line. The PS4 is an upgrade from PS3. The durango is an upgrade from a 360. IPhone 3 is an upgrade over iPhone 1. The "its a brand new console" line should be the one we are focusing on. Sorry nitpicking.

Nintendo is giving both Sony and Microsoft a clear, textbook example of how to never market or name their products. They're basically going to do everything opposite of Nintendo next generation and blow things out of the water. Nintendo is giving them gold!

Cant believe it took this long

Microsoft is going to have the best free advertising platform available when they plaster the front page of live with infinite/720 ads.

Mzo

Hahahaha, they can't make up their minds with their horrible advertising. Upgrade! It's not an upgrade! We still won't show you the system itself so you'll always be confused! I'm glad this finally spells it out.

Seeing a WiiU ad in the eShop or something is one thing, but receiving a direct message asking users to buy a new system is a little weird.

onipex

I don't really see how. They shouldve been informing Wii owners about the Wii U prior to launch. Seems like something quick and cheap way to inform your customer base.

This. They should have done this last year before it launched , when it launched , and as they are doing now. It's a direct channel to their customers so its no worst than the messages they send out about products through the 3DS, Wii U, and email.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I think that's the problem with this. Who is still using their Wii and doesn't know about the Wii U? And the Wii U does nothing to further the Wiimote gameplay that people have played on the Wii. Nintendo went in a different direction and gave up on what truly was the Wii experience when they added the second screen.

Give the boy a prize.

But this is the truth, your average consumer has moved on from the Wii. That market is gone.

Hiltz

This. They should have done this last year before it launched , when it launched , and as they are doing now. It's a direct channel to their customers so its no worst than the messages they send out about products through the 3DS, Wii U, and email.

I think Nintendo had already been doing that through Wii's Nintendo Channel. It's also still doing it.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
I know that the 'net was riding Nintendo HARD when they revealed the name. The internet is a bunch of assholes for the most part, and I include myself in that.

I kind of always just assumed that these huge corps paid very smart people a lot of money to come up with shit that, while maybe not immediately genius to laymen like us, was actually pretty fucking brilliant. Like, I figured Nintendo would come out on top because, obviously this decision was so fucking dumb, they MUST have known something that we didn't.

I love Nintendo, but their current predicament has taught me a lot about the business world. Not everything is a clever ruse to trick the public. Sometimes people pay idiots a lot of money to do stupid shit and think it's awesome.

The problem is that Nintendo HAS to tell their Wii owners that the Wii U isn't just an upgrade. Sony and Microsoft weren mt stupid enough to create a new console that was confused for a simple upgrade from the old. Even Nintendo admits people aren't understanding the Wii U is a brand new console.

I don't think there's really a lot of people at this point that don't know about Wii U, maybe just really casual owners. The problem is that they don't really see a reason to upgrade yet.

Levyne

Banned
I'm not sure why people are focusing on the upgrade line. The PS4 is an upgrade from PS3. The durango is an upgrade from a 360. IPhone 3 is an upgrade over iPhone 1. The "its a brand new console" line should be the one we are focusing on. Sorry nitpicking.

"Not just an upgrade" is just the safest way to go about it. "Not just a...addon/peripheral" sounds thin and more transparently admits the name screw-up. It assumes the comsumer has already misunderstood. Using simply "upgrade" is ambiguous and does nothing to clarify the confusing situation.

The fact that is has come to this is the sad part, though that's already been thoroughly discussed.

suaveric

Hahahaha, they can't make up their minds with their horrible advertising. Upgrade! It's not an upgrade! We still won't show you the system itself so you'll always be confused! I'm glad this finally spells it out.

Seeing a WiiU ad in the eShop or something is one thing, but receiving a direct message asking users to buy a new system is a little weird.

Showing the actual system is next to worthless, they used the same philosophy on the industrial design as they did the name: it's the same thing, only slightly different.

It's more when I read the message, the wording kind of confuses the idea of it being a technological upgrade from the Wii they own.

I.e. Oh, so it's not just an add-on? It's a new system, sure, what's new about it? Just that controller?

totowhoa

Banned
I think at its core it's a good idea.

That said, I kind of wonder how many people fit all of the following criteria:

1.) Still actively using their Wii despite Nintendo having released their last major software quite a while ago.
2.) Have their Wii connected online.
3.) Read the messages sent to them.
4.) Did not already know of the Wii U.
5.) Did not just purchase a Wii and thus would potentially be interested in a Wii U.

That's a lot of criteria. Maybe twenty thousand :p

VinLAURiA

Banned
Honestly, that might actually work. It gets to every online-enabled Wii owner and is just the wording Nintendo needs: "It's not an upgrade or add-on, you dolts. It's a new system."

At the very least, it's a more reliable method for Wii owners to see it than just TV ads. I wouldn't be surprised if this actually had an effect.

Nekofrog

Banned
It's actually not a bad idea at all.

I just don't see many casuals still having a Wii plugged in after Nintendo pretty much left it out in the cold years ago.

Should've done it during the lead up to the release of the Wii U.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
You would think that after the 3DS trouble they would have the foresight not to just add a non-sequential character to an existing name. Still looking forward to the HDS and Wii C though

Meme of the year 2017: "Wii C that there has been a misunderstanding."

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
bBVVzeT.jpg

http://kotaku.com/wii-owners-nintendo-really-wants-you-to-buy-a-wii-u-o-486178764

"It's not just an upgrade"

Meanwhile...

WfXZ539.jpg

VanWinkle

I don't think there's really a lot of people at this point that don't know about Wii U, maybe just really casual owners. The problem is that they don't really see a reason to upgrade yet.

I just don't think this is true. I know many many people who game, and there's only ONE of them that knew what the Wii U was, and he was a big Nintendo fan. Some of them heard of it, but they didn't know it was a new console. I don't know how many times I've had to explain what the thing is to people.

Top Bottom