• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Power April 2010

Zihark

Features: Next Scribblenauts, Super Mario Bros 3 20-Year Celebration, Warioware D.I.Y., NSMB Wii director interview
Previews: America's Test Kitchen, Lego Harry Potter, GTI Club Supermini Festa, Lost In Shadow, Trauma Team, Witch's Wish, Monster Hunter Tri, Flip's Twisted World, Beat City, Blue Dragon: Awakened Shadow
Power Profile: Tommy Tallarico
Playback: Super Double Dragon (SNES)
Reviews: Dawn of Heroes 7.5
Crime Scene 5
Again 7
Warioware D.I.Y. 8.5
Infinite Space 8
Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey 8
Deca Sports Ds 5.5
Sonic Classic Collection 7
Squishy Tank 8
Rooms 7
Pokemon: HG/SS 9.5
Calling 5
Racquet Sports 6.5
Fragile 5.5
Sakura Wars: So Long My Love 7.5
Major League Baseball 2K10 7
Next issue: look at 2010 hottest games, snazzy new world reveal for Wii
Also issue has a really nice ad for Monster Hunter Tri and black classic controller pro.
Going be gone for a bit, answer any questions later.

ILikeFeet

Banned
nincompoop said:
What'd they say in the Lost in Shadow preview? Any info on the release date?

the game has been pushed back from Spring to a Fall release.

I have the mag in my lap as I type this, so ask away.

ILikeFeet

Banned
Shiggy said:
What do they say about Flip's Twisted World?

they say the graphics are stunning (they look quite nice in the small images). there are indicators to which way is the safe rotation (rotate by pressing B and rotating the wiimote in the desired direction. usable items (potions for health, shield, invinciblity), six weapons (heavy book, standard weapon, spiked flail, ice spray, water cannon, flaming match, electric zapper). weapons also serve as useful items like lighting torches, watering plants, usable magnet, etc. there are some collectables, sidequests, and NPCs. scheduled for June

Do they still include the posters with nintendo power? Im just wondering much different these mags are apposed to back in the day. I think im gonna start subscribing.

The M.O.B

nincompoop said:
What'd they say in the Lost in Shadow preview? Any info on the release date?

I haven't been following this game so I don't know what is new.

-Enemies include cannons, spiders and starfish among others.
-Protagonist has sword, and gets more weapons later in the game.
-Enemies give exp, which you can use to upgrade your weapons.
-Game is pushed back from Spring to Fall 2010.

Shiggy said:
What do they say about Flip's Twisted World?

-"Coolest 3d platformers we've seen in a long time"
-Items include potions, shields, elixirs.
-Weapons include heavy book, a spiked flail, ice spray, water cannon, a flaming match, and a electric zapper.
-Weapons have alternate abilities, match lights torches, water cannon makes plants grow jumpable leaves, zapper pulls metal objects,.
-Lots of sidequests, collectibles, and NPC's.
-June 2010

The M.O.B said:
I haven't been following this game so I don't know what is new.

-Enemies include cannons, spiders and starfish among others.
-Protagonist has sword, and gets more weapons later in the game.
-Enemies give exp, which you can use to upgrade your weapons.
-Game is pushed back from Spring to Fall 2010.
So the preview talked mainly about combat? I wasn't expecting it to be a combat-heavy game.

ILikeFeet

Banned
nincompoop said:
So the preview talked mainly about combat? I wasn't expecting it to be a combat-heavy game.

no it didn't. it was about a third of the article. they covered the platforming and puzzling more than the combat.

also interesting to note that the health in the game is at 21g when at full. the 21 grams is said to be the weight of a human soul. that is prolly an important story element.

EzLink

Banned
This is the first issue of Nintendo Power I haven't gotten in about 14 years I believe. My subscription ran out and I finally got to a point where I wasn't compelled in any way to renew

Kind of interested in reading about MHTri though

Desi said:
what about Tommy!?

Ha would like to know as well, I sent him an email awhile back asking him a question, he replied to it and sent me a signed picture of himself to my house, it was hilarious, and kinda creepy.

ILikeFeet

Banned
EzLink said:
This is the first issue of Nintendo Power I haven't gotten in about 14 years I believe. My subscription ran out and I finally got to a point where I wasn't compelled in any way to renew

Kind of interested in reading about MHTri though

there isn't much in this issue. there was a much more indepth preview a couple months back though.

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Yup. Disappointing. I was looking forward to it too.

Also, I hear the game is only 6 hours long. Not really worth the full price.

Fragile isn't 6 hours. Everyone's who's played it has confirmed that. Also you should check out other reviews. In the others the bad outweigh the good - everyone agrees everything is good about the game except the gameplay.

ILikeFeet said:
they say the graphics are stunning (they look quite nice in the small images). there are indicators to which way is the safe rotation (rotate by pressing B and rotating the wiimote in the desired direction. usable items (potions for health, shield, invinciblity), six weapons (heavy book, standard weapon, spiked flail, ice spray, water cannon, flaming match, electric zapper). weapons also serve as useful items like lighting torches, watering plants, usable magnet, etc. there are some collectables, sidequests, and NPCs. scheduled for June

Another delay! :/

But good! More polish! :D

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
cartman414 said:
What did they say about SMT: SJ? An 8 suggests it had an issue or two.
Metacritic sez:

For better or for worse, it makes the player the master of his own destiny. As it turns out, that's a heck of a challenge, but the challenge is worth it.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Can you post details about the Sakura Wars review? I'd love to add it to my Official Sakura Wars thread.

ILikeFeet

Banned
RurouniZel said:
Can you post details about the Sakura Wars review? I'd love to add it to my Official Sakura Wars thread.

- characters are stereotypical
- minigames don't use motion controls, better with Classic
- mech parts aren't deep
- has issues, but worth playing
- no dual voice is kinda disappointing

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
ILikeFeet said:
- characters are stereotypical
- minigames don't use motion controls, better with Classic
- mech parts aren't deep
- has issues, but worth playing
- no dual voice is kinda disappointing

Thanks!

ILikeFeet

Banned
MidnightScott said:
I hope the Wii Reveal isn't Samurai Warriors 3 being published by Nintendo. Maybe Pikmin 3?

it's a world exclusive so Samurai Warriors 3 is out. and the teaser is a picture of Mario.

specificly, the same Mario on Mario Party 8:

Mario_Party_8.jpg

Michan

Bel Marduk said:
Fragile isn't 6 hours. Everyone's who's played it has confirmed that. Also you should check out other reviews. In the others the bad outweigh the good - everyone agrees everything is good about the game except the gameplay.
I'm not very in tune with these newfangled things called video games, but I've heard that gameplay plays an important role in them.

ZAK

Michan said:
I'm not very in tune with these newfangled things called video games, but I've heard that gameplay plays an important role in them.
No, it's a video game, the graphics are the important part. I mean like come on that's obvious.

Michan said:

Not according to Molyneux.... you're living in the past, man!

Linkup

ZAK said:
No, it's a video game, the graphics are the important part. I mean like come on that's obvious.

It's a videogame because video is being output.

Actually to be considered a videogame you just have to output pictures and be interactive in some way. Imagine your cousin chucking photos at you and you slapping them them away, that's a videogame.

Deku

Banned
tetrisgrammaton said:
kind of interested in DIY but was watching some basic tutorial videos and damn that game looks complicated

well I didn't realize you could upload and share your own microgames. That sold me right away when I found out about it.

seady

LethaL ImpuLse said:
Ouch for Fragile..

Because we have reviewers like these we will never get any more interesting games like Fragile. It's not like it is going to sell any copies to begin with (even before this review), they just have to put a final blow to it.

ILikeFeet

Banned
seady said:
Because we have reviewers like these we will never get any more interesting games like Fragile. It's not like it is going to sell any copies to begin with (even before this review), they just have to put a final blow to it.

well if the combat wasn't shit, then they would have given it a better score. that's how this shit works you know.

ILikeFeet said:
it's a world exclusive so Samurai Warriors 3 is out. and the teaser is a picture of Mario.

Mario_Party_8.jpg

I think were about due for another Wii Mario Party. If its Motion Plus required, then i would totally buy it.

this looks like a good review on the new pokemon games, i wonder if it will eventually sell a million units each of the verision

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
ILikeFeet said:

Mario_Party_8.jpg

Is that the quiz show guy from Paper Mario?

Zihark

cartman414 said:
What did they say about SMT: SJ? An 8 suggests it had an issue or two.
Only good things. Etrian-like difficulty. Collecting demons, fusing etc. a game in itself- but just small part of larger experience. Every move you make leads to subtle change in character's alignment. Basically review had no negatives.

Andrex said:
Is that the quiz show guy from Paper Mario?

No, but he's really really close looking (I thought the same thing myself until I got the game :lol)

Anyway, I wouldn't read too much into the choice of artwork. It's probably the first picture of Mario they could grab.

EDarkness

Bel Marduk said:
...everyone agrees everything is good about the game except the gameplay.

Unfortunately, I play games, to well...play games. Atmosphere doesn't mean anything to me if the game itself is crappy.

Top Bottom