• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Power August 2009: NSMB Wii, SMG 2, Zelda Wii, more

Forkball

Searched and couldn't find anything.

np-244.jpg

Details here

Points of interest:

- New Super Mario Bros. will debut the "Kind Code" where the game will get past difficult parts for you

- Koopa Kids may make a return

- No other characters outside of Mario, Luigi, and the two Toads

- Super Mario Galaxy 2 will be more difficult than the original

- No new suits in SMG 2, instead Yoshi will have different power ups

- SMG 2 has some time slowing game mechanic

- Miyamoto on Zelda Wii: “I don’t think it’s going to be that radically different.”

- Crystal Bearers main character has point and yank telekinesis abilities to solve puzzles

- The Grinder, horror FPS with 4 player co-op

- "that personality quiz at the beginning of Silent Hill: Shattered Memories (Wii) will determine what kind of clothes are worn by the game’s female police officer. She can apparently show up in full riot gear, as a Law & Order-style suit detective, or with a “provocatively unbuttoned” tight shirt."

- "A Boy and His Blob (Wii) will include a “Hug” button to soothe the blob in times of stress."

- Shinobu will be playable in No More Heroes 2

Top scoring Wii review: Little King’s Story, 9.0 (all scores out of 10)
Top scoring DS review: Dawn of Discovery, 8.5
Lowest rated Wii review: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, 5.5
Lowest rated DS review: Mega Man Star Force 3 6.0

*laughs maniacally*

Even if that Miyamoto quotation wasn't taken out of context or is just a misinterpretation, I still wouldn't extrapolate too much from it. He answered with the exact same words when asked if LoZ would go into the first-person perspective. That said, how they're going to handle LoZ Wii will be very important to watch.

And we'll see about NSMB Wii.

Captain N

I hope they have super secret characters like peach and daisy after you beat the same. Make it happen Nintendo.

Osuwari

NSMB Wii is like the best chance to validate Waluigi's existence and they still refuse to put him into main mario games. intead we get some generic toads that could be just standing anywhere as p3 and p4.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Osuwari said:
NSMB Wii is like the best chance to validate Waluigi's existence and they still refuse to put him into main mario games. intead we get some generic toads that could be just standing anywhere as p3 and p4.

But Waluigi sucks.

hemtae

Forkball said:
Searched and couldn't find anything.

- Miyamoto on Zelda Wii: “I don’t think it’s going to be that radically different.”

So much for the Twilight Princess being "the last Zelda game as you know it in its present form"

Forkball said:
- "A Boy and His Blob (Wii) will include a “Hug” button to soothe the blob in times of stress."
- Shinobu will be playable in No More Heroes 2
I love it.
Forkball said:
- No new suits in SMG 2, instead Yoshi will have different power ups
Fuck that shit.
Forkball said:
- "that personality quiz at the beginning of Silent Hill: Shattered Memories (Wii) will determine what kind of clothes are worn by the game’s female police officer. She can apparently show up in full riot gear, as a Law & Order-style suit detective, or with a “provocatively unbuttoned” tight shirt."
Cute, but that's it?
Door2Dawn said:
Waluigi is better than Luigi.
Being better than Luigi is neither a challenge nor does it make Waluigi suck any less.

laserbeam

Banned
Forkball said:
Cute, but that's it?

Pretty sure its been stated the personality test effects the monsters too I thought

Yagharek

I dont mind having one Toad character, perhaps though two is a bit much? It wont make any difference to the game though, but it would be nice.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I AM JOHN! said:
Cute, but that's it?

Not even slightly. There's a whole host of questions that effect bits and pieces of the game, not just that, and throughout the game you'll return to the therapy session to answer more questions / get more involved.

That quote makes it sound like it only does one thing, but it does much more.

EatChildren said:
Not even slightly. There's a whole host of questions that effect bits and pieces of the game, not just that, and throughout the game you'll return to the therapy session to answer more questions / get more involved.

That quote makes it sound like it only does one thing, but it does much more.
Okay, good to hear.

RedBoot

I was gonna ask if I was overreacting by saying the no characters besides Mario/Luigi/Blue Toad/Yellow Toad was by far the most bothersome thing about NSMBWii, but it looks like I'm not alone on that.

There are so many damn characters in the Mario universe (not to mention an easy, ready-made quartet with Maio/Luigi/Wario/Waluigi) that going with uber-generic Blue Toad/Yellow Toad is just lazy and dull. If they simply added Wario and Waluigi in for the toads and renamed the game Super Mario Bros 4, I would have virtually no problems with the game.

Can we get some clear quotes for the NSMB character thing? I want to know if they left "lead way" for that shit cause I have been hearing that those Toads are only realy place holders.

Same for the Zelda thing . . . wth was Miyamoto talking about?

Edit

When asked about the playable characters being Mario, Luigi, Toad and Another Toad, Shigeru Miyamoto says “That’s it.” I still maintain that they’re holding back Peach as a secret character. Either she’s in from the start or you unlock her after beating the game once. The game has such a Super Mario Bros. 2 vibe that I can’t imagine Nintendo ignoring the obvious and not completing the SMB2 quartet.

MUCH clearer . . . Miyamoto is hiding something. "Thats it" is not what you say if your not dodging something. >_>

That Tall one will be replaced with Peach! Im sure of it!

Linkhero1

Black-Wind said:
Can we get some clear quotes for the NSMB character thing? I want to know if they left "lead way" for that shit cause I have been hearing that those Toads are only realy place holders.

Same for the Zelda thing . . . wth was Miyamoto talking about?
He was asked how Zelda Wii would be different from other Zelda titles or something to that extent.

No, Waluigi is cool.

But neither Wario nor Waluigi belong in this game. Neither does Peach (she's going to save herself?) and neither does Daisy. What other characters are there? Toadette? Toadsworth? Either way, you'd be getting some variation of Toad. I suppose they could create new characters, but this wouldn't be an appropriate opportunity to do so.

laserbeam

Banned
TheGrayGhost said:
No, Waluigi is cool.

But neither Wario nor Waluigi belong in this game. Neither does Peach (she's going to save herself?) and neither does Daisy. What other characters are there? I suppose they could create new ones, but this wouldn't be an appropriate opportunity to do so.

Pretty much right. While this is a 4 player possible game it is still Classic Super Mario Bos in form. Rush to save Peach.

TheGrayGhost said:
No, Waluigi is cool.
Get better taste.
But neither Wario nor Waluigi belong in this game. Neither does Peach (she's going to save herself?) and neither does Daisy. What other characters are there? I suppose they could create new ones, but this wouldn't be an appropriate opportunity to do so.
There is only one character that need be playable. The true king of Mariodom and the best character alive. I dare only speak his name in hushed tones.

Dry Bones.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 is intended to be more difficult than the first, which means I should probably just bail out now. Miyamoto says not to expect any new suits (instead: Yoshi and new abilities for Yoshi), that the game will feature all new galaxies (why would you assume they would repeat, because Wii Fit Plus repeats?), and that there will be a time slowdown effect. Miyamoto doesn’t say if this is an in-game effect, or if this is another take on Kind Code to make the game easier to play.

All is well in my world.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
TheGrayGhost said:
But neither Wario nor Waluigi belong in this game. Neither does Peach (she's going to save herself?)

Hey guys how about a Mario game where you don't have to save the princess.

Crazy, right?

Azure J

Really? No floaty jump Peach or even Daisy? It came so close to being SMB2USA reborn... Ah well, game will still get quite a bit of mileage from myself and the siblings.

Meanwhile, that Zelda Wii comment really sounds like Miyamoto's trying to flame bait, especially with everyone so convinced that Zelda needs something radically different. :lol

Edit: Time the fuck out, there are people who consider Luigi lame for reals?

Vinnk

TheGrayGhost said:

Didn't even think of that. Yeah in a classic SMB game peach needs to be rescued.

GhaleonQ

I AM JOHN! said:
Annoying as fuck and totally stupid? He's a bootleg Wario with absolutely none of the charm.

I find your sense of humor odd.

Cackling, grandiose posing, funny sayings, mustache twirling > farts, onions just as Snidely Whiplash > Larry The Cable Guy. I could understand hating both, but I'm going to have to call your judgment into question. I mean, let me reference my list of things that aren't meant to be charming.

1. Wario.
2. Going berserk over Mario characters.

See? You're faulted on both counts.

Regulus Tera said:
Hey guys how about a Mario game where you don't have to save the princess.

Crazy, right?

Pretty much.

Wario is cooler than Waluigi. But Waluigi is still cool because he is. That's all that needs to be said. I'm very anxious to get my hands on NSMB Wii.

Teddman

I don't really care about Zelda any more until they do something radical to the series. Get a new playable character already.

When is Zelda finally going to be the main character of a game?

Teddman said:
I don't really care about Zelda any more until they do something radical to the series. Get a new playable character already.

On the CDi.

Tiktaalik

Teddman said:

CDi says hello

justchris

AceBandage said:
No, what's really interesting is that you get to pilot a giant robot as Travis.

No, I have to say a second playable character is more interesting. Having read the additional information, I think it'll add significantly to the game.

Piloting giant robots is cool though.

Is this magazine out already? If so, I'm going to buy it tomorrow. I need a fuller context for his words on NSMB Wii and LoZ Wii.

LoZ will be LoZ. It will be magnificent and tower over every other game like it always has. But man, Wii is about motion-controls. If motion-controls aren't implemented in a meaningful enough way in this series, leveraging it to advance their disruptive change, they're dooming this series. LoZ Wii, for it to remain relevant, cannot be an SMG. It has to do a lot more to incorporate the values of Wii for it capture the interest and imagination of Wii owners at large. So Miyamoto, upend the fucking tea table and get on it.

Top Bottom