• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Power August 2009: NSMB Wii, SMG 2, Zelda Wii, more

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
- Miyamoto on Zelda Wii: “I don’t think it’s going to be that radically different.”

The slightly unenthusiastic way this was spoken worries me slightly... although that may just be down to the reporter writing it as such.

Does anyone else get the impression that Miyamoto resents having to work on Marios and Zeldas now? Every passing interview seems like he's just going through the same routines again and again and loses his enjoyment on working with every new project. And yet when he's allowed to work on whatever he wants, we lambast him for it (Wii Sports, Wii Music etc.)

Hobbun

To be honest, I am glad they are not making “radical changes to Zelda Wii” as I like how the game plays already. Sure, it’s a well worn pattern, but one that has been done well.

When developers find the need to “innovate” games that work, then, at least from my opinion, you have more of a chance of the game becoming ‘less’ fun game because you may take away an aspect that made it fun. Of course there are exceptions, (like from ALttP to OoT, that was a true evolution for the good) but I have found more times than not when companies try to make drastic changes, it hurts more than helps.

Final Fantasy is a perfect example. I was just fine with the traditional turn-based combat system. Choose attack, watch it play out, choose next persons attack, watch it play out, etc. However, SE felt the need to ‘evolve’ their combat system and because of it, the last FF’s combat I liked was X.

I hope Nintendo doesn’t feel they need to do the same with Zelda.

Edit: Granted, I do realize sometimes you ‘do’ have to make changes to a game series so it does not become stale. However, I do not feel Zelda is at that point. Of course, that is just my opinion.

Dr.Hadji

pizzaguysrevenge said:
Five straight games without a single major innovation?

Fuck the Zelda franchise.

Uh, this is a joke right? Seeing as the last game in the series had a major innovation.

SovanJedi said:
Does anyone else get the impression that Miyamoto resents having to work on Marios and Zeldas now? Every passing interview seems like he's just going through the same routines again and again and loses his enjoyment on working with every new project. And yet when he's allowed to work on whatever he wants, we lambast him for it (Wii Sports, Wii Music etc.)

1up said:
Miyamoto frequently comes back to the concept of player freedom, and having seen him play NSMB Wii at his E3 Q&A session this week I can easily understand where his interest in this concept comes from. Watching Miyamoto play his own games is a fascinating study in what makes them so entertaining; despite being the head of internal development for the world's most successful publisher, when Miyamoto picks up the controller he becomes a big kid. As he demoed NSMB Wii for a packed auditorium, he started treating the game world more like an interactive toy, showing off frivolous additions and generally goofing off.

I spoke with a Nintendo PR rep after the demo who laughed and admitted that during the session's setup phase, Miyamoto would take every opportunity to pick up the controller and play around; apparently he was obsessed with freezing a certain enemy into an ice block and riding it as it slid along the ice. (In fact, he tried this twice during the demo, once with unfortunate results.)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
As far as I'm concerned, if Zelda Wii retains the quality of previous console entries (yes, Twilight Princess included) and expands on the control and puzzle system with the usage of M+ and it's relative Wii Sports Resort weapon counterparts (Frisbee = boomerang, kendo = sword, bow = ...bow, etc), then that's all the innovation I need.

Half the innovation and originality in Ocarina of Time came from the fucking 3D usage of traditional franchise elements. If they can just revive item usage with new depth and control, which is totally possible as evident by the above mentioned Sports Resort games, then that will work wonders.

Goddamn cynics.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
EatChildren said:
As far as I'm concerned, if Zelda Wii retains the quality of previous console entries (yes, Twilight Princess included) and expands on the control and puzzle system with the usage of M+ and it's relative Wii Sports Resort weapon counterparts (Frisbee = boomerang, kendo = sword, bow = ...bow, etc), then that's all the innovation I need.

Half the innovation and originality in Ocarina of Time came from the fucking 3D usage of traditional franchise elements. If they can just revive item usage with new depth and control, which is totally possible as evident by the above mentioned Sports Resort games, then that will work wonders.

Goddamn cynics.

well put. agree completely.

Davey Cakes

EatChildren said:
if Zelda Wii retains the quality of previous console entries (yes, Twilight Princess included)
You shouldn't even have to say that. Twilight Princess was a great game. It had a few questionable design issues, but that's it.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Rash said:
You shouldn't even have to say that. Twilight Princess was a great game. It had a few questionable design issues, but that's it.

I know. I loved Twilight Princess a lot, and its one of my favourite games this generation of systems, but I know some people here will HURR DURR at the mention of the game as if it was some abomination.

1up said:
Miyamoto frequently comes back to the concept of player freedom, and having seen him play NSMB Wii at his E3 Q&A session this week I can easily understand where his interest in this concept comes from. Watching Miyamoto play his own games is a fascinating study in what makes them so entertaining; despite being the head of internal development for the world's most successful publisher, when Miyamoto picks up the controller he becomes a big kid. As he demoed NSMB Wii for a packed auditorium, he started treating the game world more like an interactive toy, showing off frivolous additions and generally goofing off.

I spoke with a Nintendo PR rep after the demo who laughed and admitted that during the session's setup phase, Miyamoto would take every opportunity to pick up the controller and play around; apparently he was obsessed with freezing a certain enemy into an ice block and riding it as it slid along the ice. (In fact, he tried this twice during the demo, once with unfortunate results.)
Miyamoto sounds like the coolest game developer ever.

Captain N

TheGrayGhost said:
No, Waluigi is cool.

But neither Wario nor Waluigi belong in this game. Neither does Peach (she's going to save herself?) and neither does Daisy. What other characters are there? Toadette? Toadsworth? Either way, you'd be getting some variation of Toad. I suppose they could create new characters, but this wouldn't be an appropriate opportunity to do so.

they could have a super secret unlock able and have baby mario & luigi on a yoshi the whole time.

what the fuck happened in here

ethelred said:
God, you people are even worse than the pervy Sonic fans arguing over whether Cream is better than Amy or if Silver is really Sonic's true soulmate. At least they have a sense of fucking shame.

ahahaha sonic fans having a sense of shame

that's a good one, ethelred

SovanJedi said:
The slightly unenthusiastic way this was spoken worries me slightly... although that may just be down to the reporter writing it as such.

And you were able to hear the manner in which he spoke this...from text? And he chooses to involve himself in Zelda/Mario projects, he isn't forced

Vinci

Danish
The Toads are there for girls to play, you bunch of ninnies. Relax.

EDIT: Screw the Mario universe - they should have had the Ice Climbers as the other two characters. My wife would've bought the game the instant it was announced.

hemtae said:
So much for the Twilight Princess being "the last Zelda game as you know it in its present form"

He probably means from a technical standpoint. Because having an Older Link and a character that could be one with the Master Sword is a MAJOR change from just having Midna.

When asked about the playable characters being Mario, Luigi, Toad and Another Toad, Shigeru Miyamoto says “That’s it.” I still maintain that they’re holding back Peach as a secret character. Either she’s in from the start or you unlock her after beating the game once. The game has such a Super Mario Bros. 2 vibe that I can’t imagine Nintendo ignoring the obvious and not completing the SMB2 quartet.
They keep managing to just avoid it in Smash Bros., too, but there it's Toad missing. They even teased us with an SMB2 stage.

OnPoint said:
I made this so you never have to explain it again:

supermariochart.jpg

Wonderful!

pizzaguysrevenge said:
Five straight games without a single major innovation?

Fuck the Zelda franchise.

LoZ fans. *sighs*

- Miyamoto on Zelda Wii: “I don’t think it’s going to be that radically different.”

If it isn't, thats it for Miyamoto as far as I'm concerned. Twilight Princess already felt stale, and that was years ago now. You have a whole new console with a completely different way of controlling action and a lacklustre approach to a series of games you get to see every 4 years is pretty pathetic. Even that artwork seemed like it was just the Twilight Princess Link again, no new art-style. Bleh.

Just the 2 toads as the other 2 characters is pretty lame, but then when I get a Wii I don't see myself owning more than 2 wiimotes anyway, so no big loss for me I guess.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
camineet said:
So, Twilight Princess 2 with a few twists to story, revamped gameplay engine using MotionPlus. Thus some new, but not a radical reboot of the series.
rad·i·cal
3 a: marked by a considerable departure from the usual or traditional : extreme b: tending or disposed to make extreme changes in existing views, habits, conditions, or institutions

camineet said:
So, Twilight Princess 2 with a few twists to story, revamped gameplay engine using MotionPlus. Thus some new, but not a radical reboot of the series.
That is 100% exactly what I want.

edit: what are those purple comic strips (besides awesome)?

Good, I'd rather have a Zelda game than them change it into something I wouldn't want. I would like some change, but I guess I'm just a bit frightened that they'd change too much.

also keep in mind that this is a single sentence taken from a magazine and we don't know what the context is or anything else

EatChildren

Kureishima said:
What is this crap?

Nothing that concerns nor effects you if you don't want to use it.

Enk

makes good threads.
SilverLunar said:
Actually, after thinking about it, I just want Link to be hat-less.
And change his usual cloth design a bit.
remove that hat.

He was hatless in Wind Waker and Twllight Princess. You could even play a hatless and differently clothed Link throughot the entire Wind Waker.

Azure J

EatChildren said:

Goddamn cynics.

This is the second best post in this thread. The first was that mention of Miyamoto screwing around with NSMBWii. :lol

I agree completely with everything. I don't know what more anyone could possibly ask for.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Meh, I wouldn't put too much stock in that quote about Zelda. We don't know if he's referring to Zelda being radically different story wise or gameplay wise.

In all honesty, after thinking about it, there's really only one Zelda that's significantly different that the others, and that's Zelda 2.

Lyude77

SovanJedi said:

I think he's just tired of these interviews with "game journalists" who keep asking him the same questions. I would be too.

Also, none of the Miyamoto quotes are a big deal because they were either already known, leave options open, or were generally unimportant. The other news was cool though.

Lastly, Luigi rules. I only understand disagreements if you haven't played Paper Mario or Mario & Luigi games.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
SovanJedi said:

Its text. On a magazine. How could you tell how it was spoken?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
pakkit said:
Where you let the computer take control of Mario and get past the hard parts for you because you're some suck at Mario.

Its a new way to weed out undesirables in society.

EatChildren said:
Nothing that concerns nor effects you if you don't want to use it.

Whatever, just the existence of it makes me cry inside often and frequently while being overshadowed by a turquoise towel which waves frequently in the wind gusts.

I have the magazine in my hands, now. There's a two-page interview with Miyamoto that's a bit interesting.

On LoZ Wii:

NP: We've heard from a lot of people who are under the impression that the next console Zelda game is going to be something radically different from what we've seen in the past. Is that the case?

Miyamoto: No, I don't think it's going to be that radically different. Accessible gameplay. Something that we're going to look at focusing within that 3-D realm is really highlighting the things that are important within the Zelda franchise--the actions that Link can take. I think it's easy to maybe overthink it because you're in that 3-D realm of all the different things you should be doing or try to be doing, and really what's important to understand is what's available to you, and just focus down on what's best suited for that rather than just trying to implement a whole bunch of different things.

This gives a bit more context to the comment singled-out in this thread, and as I said before, it's more or less the same response he gave when Matt Casmassina asked him if the series is going to be in the first-person perspective. That is, it won't be that radically different.

Of more importance, though, is everything else that he said. It sounds as if they're going to discipline and distill the action, which is very interesting. I consider this to be the most telling thing we've learned about LoZ Wii so far.

More:

NP: The artwork that you showed fort he upcoming Wii Zelda title seemed a lot like the art for Twilight Princess. Are you going to carry over Twilight Princess' art style?

Miyamoto: I don't think it's going to change dramatically. We are doing it on the Wii [console]. That being said, we can look at Twilight Princess--it was built to run on both GameCube and Wii, and this one will be running only on Wii, so I think there will be differences inherent to the fact that it's only on this platform.

Yes! I love the art-style in Twilight Princess and would like to see it developed.

NP: And, of course, everyone wants to know exactly who that female character is in the illustration.

Miyamoto: Yeah, that's probably the most important part of that artwork. I really can't talk too much about [it]; one thing that's important to note in that artwork, though, is that Link is carrying a shield, but that's all he's carrying.

NP: Now, before you showed the image, you talked about wanting everybody to have unique, personal memories of their adventures in Hyrule. Is that something you're actually trying to implement in the game--a personalized Zelda experience for every player?

Miyamoto: Every person's own individual experiences with the game should beunique and [be] their own sort of "My Zelda" experience, and I think that's superimportant, and we have to look at that when we're creating dungeons and how we can make that come true. So spending a lot of time concentrating our efforts in that area. But it's not going to become individual: "Hi, I'm this Zelda!" or "I'm this Zelda!" or "I'm this Link!" or whatever. The experience will be unique but within this world that we've defined.

More to come on NSMB Wii. Some interesting tidbits on it, too.

I think the area where LoZ Wii will most shine is going to be with its item implementation in solving puzzles and, of course, killing enemies. The basic world and game design will be similar to the old games, which is what miyamoto was refering to in that quote.

Wow, I'm amazed at how we know so few things about the next Zelda, but every single one of them is completely uninspiring. :/

ZeoVGM

Banned
ChoklitReign said:
Give me a Zelda as unique as Wind Waker and then the series is redeemed. The last thing I want is a Twilight Princess 2.

Why? It's one of the best in the series.

So basically, Zelda Wii will be: complete 3 easy mini dungeons to obtain special item------->get master sword------>complete 4-5 (hopefully) awesome dungeons and that's that.

If the Zelda team took a look at the Prime games, they would know how to make a Zelda game that has great exploration. They need to blend the dungeons with the environments. It would get more players an incentive to explore.

omg rite said:
Why? It's one of the best in the series.

He likes WW. He's one of those LoZ fans.

I don't know why, but I just find myself shaking my head when posters talk about this series. Such sucky opinions. I find it's best to just steer clear of them and only talk about the news.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Thanks for posting that, GrayGhost. Can you post the SMG2 questions as well, please?

Jason's Ultimatum said:
So basically, Zelda Wii will be: complete 3 easy mini dungeons to obtain special item------->get master sword------>complete 4-5 (hopefully) awesome dungeons and that's that.

Where did you get any of that from what was said?

Top Bottom