• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Power August 2009: NSMB Wii, SMG 2, Zelda Wii, more

Meesh

Andrex said:
Branching paths in dungeons would be so cool.
Yeah, there was a teeny bit of that in TP, the mini tunnel dungeons you had to navigate through in the dark.
More of that on a granger scale would be welcome.

NP: Which is developing [New Super Mario Bros. Wii]?

Miyamoto: The same team that did Super Mario Advance and DS New Super Mario Bros.--the same team through all those. Mr. [Takashi] Tezuka and M. [Toshihiko] Nakago are part of that group. Mr. Nakago isn't one of those people that comes out to the front, but Mr. Tezuka is the main one.

Takashi Tezuka's involvement is news to me, I wonder what the extent of his involvement is. The man, during the NES and SNES eras, formed a sort of "terrific twosome" with Shigeru Miyamoto. His name is lent to the most beloved Nintendo games.

This is the most important news, I think, to come out of this interview. It made me shout with joy:

NP: How are the level in New Super Mario Bros. designed for multiplayer gameplay?

Miyamoto: We really didn't think about designing the courses or levels for multiplayer. They're designed for that single-player experience. But it's just fun to have more people playing together. We really didn't go out of our way to build anything specifically for multiplayer. I think the thing that we really had to focus on was kind of the opposite--we had a single-player mode, and all we had to do was make sure that within this level that it could be played with more. So we couldn't create anything that wouldn't allow us to put more than one character in there, and that was kind of tough. We've got that [auto-scrolling moving platform]--if you make that the normal size, of course, you can't get all four players on it; if you make it too big it's too easy. So looking at that, that's one of those things that we had to work on specifically because we have introduced multiplayer.

:D

I was previously concerned that the game's multiplayer component would hamper it's single-player component. Although I knew I was going to have a lot of fun with my friends and family, I still wanted a satisfying experience for myself. So this news is wonderful. 80+ levels of Super Mario platforming?! Yoshi?! This could easily be the best Super Mario, ever. Let's see if they'll pull it off.

Also, name dropping Super Mario Bros. 2 made me float on air:

NP: What can you tell us about New Super Mario Bros. Wii that you haven't told anybody else yet?

Miyamoto: Well, you did see the penguin suit, but what you didn't see was how the penguin suit lets you move in water. That's something we haven't shown anybody yet. And one thing that I was going to show people at the roundtable but I completely forgot to do was that once you freeze an enemy you can actually pick that enemy up and throw that ice blook. There are a lot of things that you can pick up and throw around, link [in] Super Mario Bros. 2.

*swoons*

That's about it. I could type the bits on SMG2, but there really isn't anything we haven't read about already.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
charlequin said:
Wow, I'm amazed at how we know so few things about the next Zelda, but every single one of them is completely uninspiring. :/

Uninspiring, as in "we didn't really learn anything concrete, so there's nothing to be excited about"? If so, yeah. If not, what do you mean?

Personally, I don't care what they come up with for the scenario. I don't care much what artstyle they use. I don't care whether they make the game accessible or hard as fuck (though, I don't want it to be as easy as TP). I don't care what trick they use (see the girl/sword thing).

All I want is fucking MotionPlus swordfighting, fucking MotionPlus boomerang-throwing, fucking MotionPlus bow-shooting and fucking MotionPlus whatever-makes-sense-ing.

Take whatever you want from Wii Sports Resort, add whatever you want, but give me that MotionPlus adventure game, please!

ZeoVGM

Banned
ChoklitReign said:
nomg wrong

You'd have to be insane to think TP is a bad game.

Starts off slow, but becomes amazing. Especially when coming off WW, where if it were not for the fantastic graphical style, WW would be considered the worst Zelda of all time.

Cheez-It

I wouldn't say TP is a bad game. I played through the entire game (very rare nowadays), and thought it was a well done game, but it seemed to lack something. Surely a subjective thought, but it is near the lowest of the Zelda games IMHO (not saying much though!).

None of the Zelda games are actually bad. The only "bad" Zelda games are bad relative to the average quality of the series, or are on the CDi and don't count.

Kilrogg said:
Uninspiring, as in "we didn't really learn anything concrete, so there's nothing to be excited about"? If so, yeah. If not, what do you mean?

Personally, I don't care what they come up with for the scenario. I don't care much what artstyle they use. I don't care whether they make the game accessible or hard as fuck (though, I don't want it to be as easy as TP). I don't care what trick they use (see the girl/sword thing).

All I want is fucking MotionPlus swordfighting, fucking MotionPlus boomerang-throwing, fucking MotionPlus bow-shooting and fucking MotionPlus whatever-makes-sense-ing.

Take whatever you want from Wii Sports Resort, add whatever you want, but give me that MotionPlus adventure game, please!
This.

ivysaur12

Banned
omg rite said:
You'd have to be insane to think TP is a bad game.

Starts off slow, but becomes amazing. Especially when coming off WW, where if it were not for the fantastic graphical style, WW would be considered the worst Zelda of all time.

Oh wow. I mean, opinions can't be incorrect, but I'm tempted to think this one may be.

Top Bottom