• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Power ceasing publication

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
watching that Angry VG nerd vid on the magazine, brought back memories of the Top 30 section. Always liked that layout, and remember getting upset at perceived "slights" against my chosen games. 12 year old me hated when LTTP wasn't #1 forevers.

I know I got at least 2 videos but the only one I can remember is the Banjo Kazooie one. Back then I wasn't really a big "gotta play everything new" gamer so I never really hyped for new games much, but man that video made me hype hard for BK

Pociask

Sad day. Nintendo Power is how I vicariously enjoyed video games as a child who didn't get too many. I can still remember reading stories about certain games and thinking HOW AWESOME they sounded.

Amagon

I haven't read a Nintendo Power magazine in over 10+ years. I will get this final issue.

RIP Nintendo Power.

Never forget

EfKFxl.jpg

That sucks. I have been enjoying my subscription for the last couple of years. Oh well.

I remember the 80's and early 90's issues so well. Such nice hand drawn maps for things like Zelda 2.

Makes sense. Paper magazines are pretty much extinct but man this magazine was so useful back in the NES days when Internet access was a rarity.

Daaang. I haven't had a subscription in years, but daaang. I still have vivid memories of the DKC tape.

"The password is Diddy Kong."

Tiktaalik

I feel like the recent ones were actually quite good. Considering that they had to compete against the internet I was often surprised to find new info and scoops in their previews.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I still hope they let it get to 300 and send it off with a huge double issue bang smack full of awesome goodies for the fans. Complete with shots of every single cover from the beginning like they did in the 100th issue.

I remember the 50th issue with Link's Awakening. I don't remember what was on the 100th. And I don't think I made it to 150. I'd love to see all the covers in a row. Make it a huge poster. Real poster, not the NP style tri-fold poster. But an actual poster for your wall with every issue cover on it.

Hell, if they made it go to 300, I'd buy a subscription just for the last 12 issues and to get the final one. They could put a lot of cool stuff in the final year of issues.

I feel like the recent ones were actually quite good. Considering that they had to compete against the internet I was often surprised to find new info and scoops in their previews.

I agree. I started with the issue with Indiana Jones on the cover from a few years back and thought it was awful quality. Then from the next issue onward it started to feel like the good old Nintendo Power. It's been pretty good up till now.

Snookie

I'll never forget seeing that first image of super mario world in the back of nintendo power. I know I have issue #1 somewhere. I need to go find it when i get home.

Damn, I know I was going to dread the day they would say there were being shut down. I just thought they would atleast last a few more years.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I'll never forget seeing that first image of super mario world in the back of nintendo power. I know I have issue #1 somewhere. I need to go find it when i get home.

I remember this too. It was completely different from what we got. They changed the game and graphics so much before it was released. I also remember being sad that there wasn't more than a few screens. And when the game came out I remember wishing the stuff we saw in the preview was actually in the game.

It's like that phantom screenshot on the back of the SMB3 box that isn't even in the game. It's like, "that looks awesome. Why can't I play that level?"

olimpia84

Part of my childhood goes down :(
Nintendo Power and Gamepro were my top two choices for magazines back in the day, I'm really sad to see both of them go but I can't say I'm surprised.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I really hope Nintendo keeps the brand in some form, (website, for instance), but we'll see.
I think it should have stayed alive as a digital publication for NewsStand on iOS or whatever Android has that's similar. I have a digital subscription to MAD. I'd love to give it some company.

KidDork

I just saw a copy in the grocery store last week and thought about picking it up. Subscribed for years, like most people here. It just felt like a constant.

Best wishes for Phil.

Rookje

I had every issue up until like the end of the N64 era.

Then my parents sold them at the flea market for like $45 for the entire lot.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I had the N64 preview VHS and the Star Fox one. I think that's the only ones I got for some reason. What others were there? I might have gotten another that I can't remember right now.

The Star Fox one was hilarious back then. Sony and Sega kidnap Mario and hold him hostage until Nintendo shows them how much more awesome their system is and the new Rumble Pak feature which no other console will ever have in a million years.

And the N64 one had them showing some totally 90's kids the Nintendo HQ and new games coming out for the console like the amazing Mario 64 and Pilotwings 64.

Snookie

I remember this too. It was completely different from what we got. They changed the game and graphics so much before it was released. I also remember being sad that there wasn't more than a few screens. And when the game came out I remember wishing the stuff we saw in the preview was actually in the game.

It's like that phantom screenshot on the back of the SMB3 box that isn't even in the game. It's like, "that looks awesome. Why can't I play that level?"

it was such a cock tease of a screenshot. My 11yr old self never had a chance.

Tookay

I had the N64 preview VHS and the Star Fox one. I think that's the only ones I got for some reason. What others were there? I might have gotten another that I can't remember right now.

The Star Fox one was hilarious back then. Sony and Sega kidnap Mario and hold him hostage until Nintendo shows them how much more awesome their system is and the new Rumble Pak feature which no other console will ever have in a million years.

And the N64 one had them showing some totally 90's kids the Nintendo HQ and new games coming out for the console like the amazing Mario 64 and Pilotwings 64.

I think there was a Pokemon one (not sure if that was from NP or something else) and a Banjo Kazooie one. Can't remember any others, but I'm not sure.

Rehynn

NP was a major part of my childhood, bummed to see them go down.

I bought an issue (Mirror of Fate on the cover) this Summer during my trip to the US, I enjoyed it quite a bit.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I think there was a Pokemon one (not sure if that was from NP or something else) and a Banjo Kazooie one. Can't remember any others, but I'm not sure.
I think I might have had the Banjo one. But I'm not sure. I know I didn't have the Donkey Kong Country one though. Probably just had the two I mentioned. They're the only ones I can clearly remember watching over and over and over and over.

and over and over. God I hated VHS. So much rewinding.

It was inevitable, but this hurts. Hurts bad. :(

Some of my best gaming memories as a kid are of reading NP cover to cover, always excited to see thr top ten games of thr month, the cheat/codes section, and upcoming previews. Some features that stand out in my mind:

-the design your own MM villan (a couple of the drawings were pretty good)
-the Dragon Warrior mini guide that came with one issue
-the huge Mario Paint contest they had
-the comics! I loved those :((((
-the covers every month. The only magazine since whose covers generated excitement from me were the old PSN issues.
-the Mario 3 mini guide.

And finally, mention has to be given to the NP Players Guides. Link to the Past, Mario Mania, and the SNES intro guide are my favorites.

If this is true... I don't want to live anymore!!! Uggggggggkkkkkkkk.
It's been my most cherished piece of mail every month since I was a little NES kid. And it still is. I hope Nintendo takes it back to publish itself again...

- J - D -

I came into possession of this 12 years ago when a friend's dad was clearing out his garage, throwing away old junk. Of course, I took all the old mags he had, and in one box was this issue. I have it somewhere in a box somewhere with stacks of other old gaming magazines.

Might flip through it sometime.

Top Bottom