• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Power - December 2009 (NSMB Wii, Infinite Space, Monkey Island Chapter 5)

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Nintendo Power

News
-- Shiren the Wanderer's NA release will include the previously downloadable only mansion sections from the Japanese version

Downloadables' "Evaluations" (coughreviewscough)
Wiiware:
  • Tales of Monkey Island Chapter 2: The Siege of Spinner City -- Recommended
  • Contra Rebirth -- Recommended
  • Colorz -- Recommended
  • Texas Hold'em Poker -- Recommended
  • You, Me, and the Cubes -- Recommended
  • Family Tennis -- Maybe?
  • Spaceball: Revolution -- Maybe?
  • Mart Racer -- Bad
  • 3-2-1, Rattle Battle! -- Bad

DSiware:
  • Puzzle League Express -- Recommended
  • Art Academy: First Semester -- Recommended
  • Clubhouse Games Express: Family Favorites -- Maybe?
  • Clubhouse Games Express: Strategy Pack -- Maybe?
  • Oscar in Toyland -- Maybe?

Virtual Console
  • Phantasy Star -- Recommended
  • Super Return of the Jedi -- Recommended
  • Last Ninja 2 -- Maybe?
  • Crash 'N the Boys: Street Challenge -- Maybe?

Previews:

Tales of Monkey Island Chapter 5: Rise of the Pirate God
-horrible things will happen
-HORRIBLE THINGS
-"There's going to be a very clever and emotionally meaningful take on the insult swordfighting" -- Mike Stemmle, game designer
-"...And we did set up one very cool ending... when we sat down with [original Secret of Monkey Island creator] Ron Gilbert. People will be very happy with how that comes across. It will cement Elaine and Guybruch as the power couple of the Caribbean."
-some puzzles will make use of items that have been collected from previous episodes, even ones that were forgotten or annoying

New Super Mario Bros. Wii
-it has a quick save, thank the lords
-though the camera will pan out, if some multiplayer participants are too slow they will still be left to die offscreen eventually
-the article pretty much goes over the same info we've learned of recently

Infinite Space
-100 unique ship schematics in all
-the level of stat management and customization in this game is insane. Everything from seperate modules (rooms), weapons and even the crew can be managed.
-an intuitive module interface allows you to fill your ship with different facilities from engine rooms to research laboratories. This forces you to prioritize in the process.
-There are over 150 recruits for your crew, each with a unique personality and back story. Each character also has their own skills and attributes that they bring to the table.
-Your ability to recruit depends on both money and your reputation.
-Being an RPG and all, your crew members will increase in proficiency as they gain experience from completed battles/missions.
-Two galaxies to explore!
-Battles are menu based and tactical but feature a Active-Time-Battle like system
-Main character's name is Yuri (instant awesome)
-You can eventually command up to 5 ships at a time
-branching paths, expansive story, illustrated cut-scenes
-music is by Masafumi Takada (Killer 7, No More Heroes)

Why did you choose to make the game on the Nintendo DS system?
Hifumi Kouno (director): "When I was presented with the development budget for this project, it was not enough for a console platform, but fairly large for a handheld platform. I determined that in order to develop this as a console game, we would have to remove many features from the original concept, which I wanted to avoid. Therefore, I chose the Nintendo DS platform instead, in order to establish the epic grandeur of this title. As a result, I was able to pack in everything regarding the story from my original concept into this tiny hardware."

The Legend of Zelda series feature listy lists

Top 13 Zelda games:

13.) Zelda II: Adventure of Link
12.) Four Swords Adventures
11.) Majora's Mask
10.) Oracle of Ages
9.) Oracle of Seasons
8.) Minish Cap
7.) Phantom Hourglass
6.) Wind Waker
5.) Link's Awakening/DX
4.) Twilight Princess
3.) The Legend of Zelda
2.) A Link to the Past
1.) The Faces of Evil

They also list things like "Best supporting character" and "Best Zelda" but all of those are nearly as obvious as the top 13 list was.

Interview: Akira Yamaoka
AY: "Up to Silent Hill 2, I was involved just as a music creator, but I was often making suggestions ofr other areas besides music. Then my boss said, "Why don't you oversee the overall project?" So I started to get involved as a producer, too."
NP: You're best known for Silent Hill, but are there other games you've worked on in which you tihnk your compositions were especially good?

AY: "I don't consider video game music, including Silent Hill music, as "music". I consider it more as "sound" that complements the images, game, and story to create an entertaining experience. So even if I thought I created cool music, if I don't get excited or enjoy playing the game with the music and images combined, then I can't say, "I created good music.""
AY: "I admire SUDA51 of Grasshopper Manufacture very much. He has an ability to bring the Japanese-centric content to the West successfully. He is one of the few Japanese developers who I believe has the ability to do this".
o_O?

Reviews
  • Phantasy Star Ø – 8.0
  • Drawn to Life: The Next Chapter (Wii) -- 7.0
  • Drawn to Life: The Next Chapter (DS) -- 8.0
  • Astro Boy: The Video Game (Wii) -- 7.5
  • Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky -- 8.0
  • FIFA Soccer 10 (Wii) -- 6.0
  • Simanimals Africa -- 5.0
  • Dance Dance Revolution: Hottest Party 3 -- 6.5
  • Harvest Moon: Sunshine Islands -- 7.0
  • Atelier Annie: Alchemists of Sega Island -- 8.0
  • WWE Smackdown vs. RAW 2010 (Wii) -- 7.5
  • WWE Smackdown vs. RAW 2010 (DS) -- 7.0
  • Nostalgia -- 7.0
  • Academy of Champions: Soccer -- 6.5
  • Karaoke Revolution -- 6.0
  • Dragonball Z: Attack of the Saiyans (DS) -- 8.0
  • Dragonball Z: Revenge of King Piccolo (Wii) -- 6.5
  • Cooking Mama 3: Shop & Chop -- 6.0
  • Harvest Moon: Animal Parade -- 7.5
  • Space Invaders Extreme 2 -- 8.0
  • Fighting Fantasy: The Warlock of Firetop Mountain -- 4.0
  • Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 (Wii) -- 5.5
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Arcade Attack (DS) -- 4.5

Phantasy Star Ø
Reviewer: Casey L.

Pros
-"satisfying and substantial online experience"
-new evasive rolls and charge up attacks make the combat a little less simplistic (than Phantasy Star Online)
-solid story mode; more enjoyable than SP modes in previous Phantasy Star Online games
-good production values
-"reasonably compelling plot"
-multiplayer is a blast
-Co-op play is the reason to buy Phantasy Star Ø

Cons
-the interface is a disaster
-the menus are poorly designed to the point that it apparently takes away your choices in battle and hurts the overall depth
-quick swapping weapons is apparently gone, which means you have to use the aforementioned interface in order to switch from ranged attacks to melee.
-Co-op play is the only reason to buy Phantasy Star Ø

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Arcade Attack
Reviewer: Chris Sh.

Pros
-Sometimes you'll get an interesting boss fight, sometimes
-at least the art style in the cutscenes is nice

Cons
-"no platforming, no puzzle solving, no backtracking, no nothing: you just work your way across the stage until it abruptly ends".
-enemies all look the same
-lackluster move list
-iffy play control
-button mashing
-nothing distinguises the turtles from each other, other than their headband color
-"It feels like the story took about 10 minutes to write, edit, and publish".
-gameplay has nothing to do with the plot

Astro Boy: The Video Game
Reviewer: Chris H.

Pros
-satisfying gameplay
-makes great use of the hero's powers
-well-designed stages

Cons
-boss fights, enemy reactions and recovery time all could have used a little polish
-low-res textures, simple geometry, poor lip-syncing

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky
Reviewer: Scott P.

Pros
-best Pokemon Mystery Dungeon experience to date
-welcome small touches add additional playability and depth to the experience
-(Basically, its the 3rd version of a Pokemon game)

Cons
-are the changes significant enough to warrant the purchase?
-(Basically, its the 3rd version of a Pokemon game)

WWE Smackdown vs. RAW 2010 (Wii)
Reviewer: Chris H.

Pros
-"biggest, most ambitious, most feature-rich wrestling game on the Wii"
-tons of characters, moves and match types
-rich customization options
-new WWE story creator is cool
-balanced and solid gameplay

Cons
-alot of the new features aren't as polished
-controls are almost too complex (don't use anything but the wavebird or classical controller, kids)
-stories aren't as interesting as last year's game
-no online functionality

Nostalgia
Reviewer: Phil T.

Pros
-It's a game made for those who are nostalgic for 16-bit RPGs.
-charmingly retro
-nice variety of enemies + attack order = exciting battles
-"decent adventure with a wealth of sidequests"

Cons
-It's a game made for those who are nostalgic for 16-bit RPGs.
-there's no way of knowing how close you are to earning a new skill, which kinda messes up the game's skill tree
-derivative story

Fighting Fantasy: The Warlock of Firetop Mountain
Reviewer: David S.

Pros
-moving and interacting within the 3-d world is easy enough
-well made within its limitations

Cons
-"If you know what Fighting Fantasy used to mean, you'll be surprised what you get from this game."
-doesn't keep much more than the name from its namesake
-combat is tedious and repetitive
-"out of whack" difficulty progression
-pretty limited

Next Month
The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks

Gomu Gomu

Top 13 Zelda games:

11.) Majora's Mask
10.) Oracle of Ages
9.) Oracle of Seasons
8.) Minish Cap
7.) Phantom Hourglass
6.) Wind Waker
5.) Link's Awakening/DX
4.) Twilight Princess
3.) The Legend of Zelda
2.) A Link to the Past
1.) The Faces of Evil

Nice :lol

AniHawk

11.) Majora's Mask
10.) Oracle of Ages
9.) Oracle of Seasons
8.) Minish Cap
7.) Phantom Hourglass
6.) Wind Waker
5.) Link's Awakening/DX
4.) Twilight Princess
3.) The Legend of Zelda
2.) A Link to the Past
1.) Ocarina of Time

wtf no

More like:

1. Twilight Princess
2. Ocarina of Time
3. Link's Awakening
4. Majora's Mask
5. The Minish Cap
6. The Wind Waker
7. Oracle of Ages
8. The Legend of Zelda
9. A Link to the Past
10. Four Swords Adventures
11. Zelda II
12. Oracle of Seasons
13. Phantom Hourglass

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
AniHawk said:
11.) Majora's Mask
10.) Oracle of Ages
9.) Oracle of Seasons
8.) Minish Cap
7.) Phantom Hourglass
6.) Wind Waker
5.) Link's Awakening/DX
4.) Twilight Princess
3.) The Legend of Zelda
2.) A Link to the Past
1.) Ocarina of Time

wtf no

More like:

1. Twilight Princess
2. Ocarina of Time
3. Link's Awakening
4. Majora's Mask
5. The Minish Cap
6. The Wind Waker
7. Oracle of Ages
8. The Legend of Zelda
9. A Link to the Past
11. Zelda II
12. Oracle of Seasons
13. Phantom Hourglass

Yeah yeah we know Nintendo Power is wrong and your list is right.

sfried

I'm just glad you put Majora's Mask higher up on the list. But if you ask me, I think it surpases OoT in cohesion rather than scope.

AniHawk

sfried said:
I'm just glad you put Majora's Mask higher up on the list. But if you ask me, I think it surpases OoT in cohesion rather than scope.

The dungeon design in MM is pretty basic compared to OoT's (except for the Stone Tower Temple) and that's what I ultimately mark the game down for. Yeah, it has great side story stuff, it has loads of atmosphere, and all that jazz, but one of the main parts of any Zelda game feels rushed.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
grandjedi6 said:
The Legend of Zelda series feature listy lists

Top 13 Zelda games:

11.) Majora's Mask
10.) Oracle of Ages
9.) Oracle of Seasons
8.) Minish Cap
7.) Phantom Hourglass
6.) Wind Waker
5.) Link's Awakening/DX
4.) Twilight Princess
3.) The Legend of Zelda
2.) A Link to the Past
1.) The Faces of Evil

They also list things like "Best supporting character" and "Best Zelda" but all of those are nearly as obvious as the top 13 list was.

Jedi. :lol

bon

The preview section for this issue had me drooling. 2010 is going to be a great year.

And, for Shantae fans, there's a two page thing chronicling how her design has changed over the years. The new version for Risky's Revenge is definitely the best yet.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
AniHawk said:
Midna

TWW's Tetra
Yep.

See, I said it was obvious!

Gribbix said:
My eyes are playing tricks on me. For a second there, I thought the thread title said Space Channel 5.
Dragona Akehi said:
For a single split-second, I thought I read "....Channel 5" in the thread title and my heart skipped a beat.
Space Monkey Island Channel 5?

sphinx

the piano man
what the fuck at the Zelda list, The four swords games (both) are multiplayer co-op spin-offs!! they cannot be better than Zelda II because they aren't "real" Zelda games!

when will the world stop bullying Zelda II? :'( makes me sad.

sphinx said:
what the fuck at the Zelda list, The four swords games (both) are multiplayer co-op spin-offs!! they cannot be better than Zelda II because they aren't "real" Zelda games!
when will the world stop bullying Zelda II? :'( makes me sad.
Considering how great Zelda games are, it's possible that they actually like that game, but just put it at the bottom of the list anyway. I know I like my least favorite Zelda games quite a bit.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'm going to burn so many hours on Infinite Space it's scary. I almost dread the day it hits shelves here.

AniHawk

It's not fair that Infinite Space, Seventh Dragon, DQIX, and DQ VI are all hitting the DS next year. The system goes pretty silent for about a year or two and then this happens.

sfried

AniHawk said:
It's not fair that Infinite Space, Seventh Dragon, DQIX, and DQ VI are all hitting the DS next year.
We have Phantasy Star 0 to tide us over.
And it took them a whole year to localize. What the hell Gonzo/Sega?

Why would you do that? said:
Considering how great Zelda games are, it's possible that they actually like that game, but just put it at the bottom of the list anyway. I know I like my least favorite Zelda games quite a bit.

They put it below Four Swords Adventures. Not to mention there are people who still hate Zelda II with the fury of a thousand burning sons.

Not so keen on Majora's Mask and the Oracles also being among the lowest games.

Totakeke

AniHawk said:
It's not fair that Infinite Space, Seventh Dragon, DQIX, and DQ VI are all hitting the DS next year. The system goes pretty silent for about a year or two and then this happens.

And SMT: Strange Journey, and FF: Four Warriors of Light, Perfect Prosecutor.. and.. pretty sure I'm missing some other stuffs. There's like nothing coming out in November and December other than Zelda. :(

grandjedi6 said:
News
-- Shiren the Wanderer's NA release will include the previously downloadable only mansion sections from the Japanese version

YES YES YES YES!

Though: 4.0 score for Fighting Fantasy!? What the hell happened?!

Stalfos

AniHawk said:
The dungeon design in MM is pretty basic compared to OoT's (except for the Stone Tower Temple) and that's what I ultimately mark the game down for. Yeah, it has great side story stuff, it has loads of atmosphere, and all that jazz, but one of the main parts of any Zelda game feels rushed.
I agree. When I played MM I was ultimately let down somewhat because to me Zelda is all about the dungeons and to only get 4 real dungeons did make it feel rushed. I would mark Wind Waker down for the same reason, which I think had 6 real dungeons. Both are still great games and the overworld stuff is great to have in MM, but I prefer Twilight Princess and Ocarina of Time because of the great dungeons that they have and the fact that there are more of them for me to go through.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
AniHawk's list is wrong just for putting Twilight Princess in first place. That spot is deserved for Wind Waker only. Maybe then put Ocarina of Time, a Link to the Past, Majora's Mask, Link's Awakening and maybe then in 6th put Twilight Princess. Really, the blandness of that game knows now bounds.

Wind Waker's Zelda is #1, and Midna is #1 supporting character though =P

LIST WARS!!

Cygnus X-1

GrotesqueBeauty said:
I was just thinking, it's been hours since we had a best Zelda debate. Good job Nintendo Power.

Majora's Mask is the best Zelda. But Ocarina of time is the best game of all times. It's as simple as that.

ksamedi

Totakeke said:
And SMT: Strange Journey, and FF: Four Warriors of Light, Perfect Prosecutor.. and.. pretty sure I'm missing some other stuffs. There's like nothing coming out in November and December other than Zelda. :(

I'm anticipating Okamiden as well next year. And also Ghost Trick and the third professor Layton.

Stalfos

Man God said:
The dungeons in MM are hugetastic though.
Yeah I do need to play the game again to see how I would feel about it today. It's been a long time since I played the game but I don't remember them being a lot bigger than some of the longer ones in Ocarina.

Blueblur1 said:
Someone tell Casey L. that there is a quick swap for weapons in PSZero. I believe it's X + R button.

It's faster, but there's nothing quick about it. I believe the reviewer is referring to the PSU type quick-swap.

bon said:
The preview section for this issue had me drooling. 2010 is going to be a great year.

And, for Shantae fans, there's a two page thing chronicling how her design has changed over the years. The new version for Risky's Revenge is definitely the best yet.
I'm definitely gonna check that out.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Dragona Akehi said:
For a single split-second, I thought I read "....Channel 5" in the thread title and my heart skipped a beat.
Same here :(

ReyBrujo

Infinite Space sounds interesting. Reminds me of Elite, so I am going to give it a chance. No release window yet?

Razien

Banned
"-music is by Masafumi Takada (Killer 7, No More Heroes)"

Thanks, now I don`t even have to think before buying this.

Dash

AniHawk said:
11.) Majora's Mask
10.) Oracle of Ages
9.) Oracle of Seasons
8.) Minish Cap
7.) Phantom Hourglass
6.) Wind Waker
5.) Link's Awakening/DX
4.) Twilight Princess
3.) The Legend of Zelda
2.) A Link to the Past
1.) Ocarina of Time

wtf no

More like:

1. Twilight Princess
2. Ocarina of Time
3. Link's Awakening
4. Majora's Mask
5. The Minish Cap
6. The Wind Waker
7. Oracle of Ages
8. The Legend of Zelda
9. A Link to the Past
11. Zelda II
12. Oracle of Seasons
13. Phantom Hourglass

Switch Minish Cap with a Link to the Past, and WW with Link's Awakening and I'm totally with you.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Why would you do that? said:
Yeah, that's actually pretty much what they said.

"That a classic like The Adventure of Link would be ranked the lowest on any list speaks volumes about the high standards of the Zelda series."

And for those who actually care about the best-of-series categories:

Best hook: Light World/Dark World (LTTP)
Best item: Double clawshot (TP)
Best weapon: Bow (all)
Best Zelda: Tetra (WW)
Best boss: Twilight Dragon Argorok (TP)
Best overworld: The Minish Cap
Best story moment: Beneath the Waves (WW)
Best tune: Overworld theme (LoZ)
Best secret: second quest (LoZ)
Best dungeon: Goron Mines (TP)
Best enemy: Octorok
Best supporting character: Midna (TP)
Best Ganon: Ocarina of Time

Htown said:
Yeah, that's actually pretty much what they said.

"That a classic like The Adventure of Link would be ranked the lowest on any list speaks volumes about the high standards of the Zelda series."

And for those who actually care about the best-of-series categories:

Best hook: Light World/Dark World (LTTP)
Best item: Double clawshot (TP)
Best weapon: Bow (all)
Best Zelda: Tetra (WW)
Best boss: Twilight Dragon Argorok (TP)
Best overworld: The Minish Cap
Best story moment: Beneath the Waves (WW)
Best tune: Overworld theme (LoZ)
Best secret: second quest (LoZ)
Best dungeon: Goron Mines (TP)
Best enemy: Octorok
Best supporting character: Midna (TP)
Best Ganon: Ocarina of Time

I disagree with some of these. Here's what I think:
Best item: Boomerang (LoZ)
Best boss: Twilight 4th boss Arbiter's Grounds (TP) or Dark Link (Aol/OoT)
Best overworld: one of the Gameboy Zeldas, can't decide
Best tune: Sheik's Theme (OoT)
Best dungeon: Spirit Temple (OoT)
Best enemy: Like-like

Top Bottom