• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Power - February 2010 (NBA Jam, Ghost Trick, Epic Mickey)

donny2112

Was there a thread for this month's NP already?

NP251_cover.jpg

Includes Tatsunoko vs. Capcom holographic card (tilt it to get two different images) and Super Monkey Ball poster

Subscriber Edition Cover:

Contents:
http://www.nintendopower.com/images/NP251_TOC.pdf

Ghost Trick DS

LOTR: Aragorn's Quest

Epic Mickey

Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey

News:
New Wiimote+Motion+ colors on Valentine's Day (2/14) - Pink, Light Blue
Racquet Sports (Tennis, Ping-Pong, Badminton, Squash, Beach Tennis) w/ Motion+ support from Ubisoft - March

WiiWare:
Cave Story is mentioned (recommended), so it should be out soon.

Year-in-Preview:
Wii:
Arc Rise Fantasia
Calling
Endless Ocean 2
Epic Mickey
Flip's Twisted World
Fragile
The Grinder
Iron Man 2
Line Attack Heroes
LOTR: Aragorn's Quest
Lost in Shadow
Metroid: Other M
MLB 2K10
Monado
Monster Hunter Tri
NBA Jam
Red Steel 2
Rooms: The Main Building
Sakura Wars
Sengoku Basara 3
Shiren the Wanderer
S&P 2
Sonic & All-Stars Racing
Span Smasher
SMG 2
SMB Step & Roll
Trauma Team

DS:
Again
AA: Miles Edgeworth
Blue Dragon: Awakened Shadows
Deca Sports DS
Dementium II
DQVI
Foto Showdown
Ghost Trick
Golden Sun DS
Infinite Space
Iron Man 2
DSi XL
Picross 3D
Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver
Puzzle Quest 2
Ragnarok DS
Rooms: The Main Building
SMT: Strange Journey
Sonic & All-Stars Racing
Wario Ware DIY

Reviews:
Tatsunoko vs. Capcom - 9.0
Glory of Heracles - 7.0
Bejeweled Twist (DS) - 8.5
Pinball Hall of Fame (Wii) - 6.5

Next month is Pokemon and NMH2 review.

ethelred

I would be totally grateful if you could post some more stuff from the Eiji Ishida interview for Shin Megami Tensei. I read the first page on Nintendo Power's site, but I'd love more.

sphinx

the piano man
what do we know about Monado? I've been wanting to ask ever since people here
say the baten kaitos people are doing this game right now.

I am happy to see Dementium II finally seeing a release, I will buy that, had a lot of fun with the first one. :)

farnham

Banned
wow @ aragorns quest

looks legitimately good

and its developed by headstrong (kuju)

their games on the wii owned (overkill and battalion wars 2)

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Hmm..lots of Wii games that I will be buying this year. You know, that's actually a pretty nice lineup, especially if Zelda makes it.

GWX

As I said in the NBA Jam announcement thread, the game looks awesome.
If the animations follows the same level of greatness of the shots, consider me in.

Oh, and that "Racquet Sports" thing is the first "casual" Ubisoft game that I have any interest, but something tells me that it'll suck.

donny2112

ethelred said:
I would be totally grateful if you could post some more stuff from the Eiji Ishida interview for Shin Megami Tensei. I read the first page on Nintendo Power's site, but I'd love more.

Just one other page of the interview.

"More demons means more fusion possibilities ... it means being able to put new demons on every floor."

• They chose passwords instead of Wi-Fi to make is easier to share on internet forums for exchanging demons.
  • Fusion system redesigned to make for a fast-paced game. Create demons one after another to mow down enemies in your way. 300 demons.
  • Restrictions on Skill-Inheritance system loosened. Demon Source lets you customize at will. Goes along with increasing the # of demons. They want to encourage experimentation and trading.
  • Law/Neutral/Chaos alignments brought back to to let the players experience the story's themes for themselves. Also changes your relationship with demons. This comes into play with the Demon Conversion and Co-op attacks.
  • Removed ability to fine-tune protagonist's stats.
  • "RPG freaks should definitely try this out; I think it provides a good level of challenge. I'm proud to say that we're right up there with Demon's Souls [on the PS3]. But the system itself is easy to understand, so I also hope people who haven't played RPGs before will give it a try.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Does the Metroid Other M section have any new info? Or is just rehashed stuff we already know?

Dragmire

I hope Monado's good. NoA keeps giving us glimpses of Monado, so they better release it here.... Or else....... I'll.........

I got nothing.

upandaway said:
Ahh what the hell. Probably 2 pages of "what we know so far".
IT'S ABOUT THE NUGGETS!
Sure, they say vague shit and confirm things that anyone with a brain could infer (Miyamoto/ Aonuma: M+ is gonna be used in LoZ Wii! - Us: Yeah, like you mother fuckers didn't intend for it to be used from the time Iwata told the guys behind it to make it a product . . .). But its does NUGGETS of info that really matter before theres a huge reveal.

donny2112

john tv said:
Curious what they say about Heracles, DQVI, and Golden Sun 2. Any info?

Heracles:
  • Largely a traditional RPG with Greek settings/characters.
  • Random, turn-based battles.
  • Choose entire parties attacks before round, which means you can waste attacks on a downed enemy. Get MP bonus for doing this "Overkill" maneuver, though.
  • Stylus-based mini-games to improve offensive magic and skills.
  • Party is mostly amnesiacs, which can get you more invested in finding out about them.
  • 30 hours not including sidequests. (!)
  • References other Nintendo games in the dialogue.
  • Characters are pixelated and environments are "samey." This "sameness" is what prevents it from being great, to the reviewer.
  • Solid fun.

Only a very small blurb on DQVI with no real new info. They're assuming it will come in 2010 to the U.S.

Nothing big on Golden Sun DS, but they say Nintendo has affirmed that it's on track for a 2010 release. :)

High Voltage Software is making Iron Man 2. I was wondering why they listed that licensed game in the preview for 2010. :lol

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
ConcealedBlaze said:
Any new info on Disney Epic Mickey?
No. 3/4ths of the magazine is taken up by their "2010 preview" but it doesn't reveal anything new. Overall, this month's issue was rather light on content.

Busaiku

I remember seeing Last Window in the table of contents?
Were there by any chance any localization announcements?

grandjedi6

Busaiku said:
I remember seeing Last Window in the table of contents?
Were there by any chance any localization announcements?
No, it was just a part of their "News from Japan" segment

Captain N

Gravijah said:
OH MY GOD THAT COVER TAKES ME RIGHT BACK TO THE 90s

wait until you see the other Screens. The game looks sick. If there's one sports game to get this year, NBA Jam would be that game. Fall 2010. Come on!!

What does it say about Project Monster? Im not sure if there were any changes but the ToC that was spreading around the web says that its in there.

Hey, Last Window: The Midnight Promise (Hotel Dusk 2) is listed in the table of contents! Confirmed for a U.S. release?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Oh, again is there as well. The game is already out here, but I've heard 0 impressions.

Edit: <=(

schuelma

Mockingbird said:
Hey, Last Window: The Midnight Promise (Hotel Dusk 2) is listed in the table of contents! Confirmed for a U.S. release?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Oh, again is there as well. The game is already out here, but I've heard 0 impressions.

Nope- look above. A bunch of Japanese games were listed that showed up in the "News from Japan" section.

grandjedi6

upandaway said:
You know if they say anything about MH3? Zelda?
Nothing new or interesting. Just recaping what we already knew.

FYI, the actual articles in this issue are about NBA Jam, Ghost Trick, LotR: Aragorn's Quest, Epic Mickey, and Iron Man 2. Almost everything else listed are just short recaps in their "2010 Year In Preview" feature.

donny2112

Black-Wind said:
What does it say about Project Monster?

• "What do you get when you combine Metroid, Tamagotchi, and Henry Hatsworth? Project Monster, one of the year's most intriguing DS games."
  • It's made by some former EA employees who formed a new studio, DreamRift.
  • Top screen is the side-scrolling action-platforming with the bottom screen having Chomp, a virtual pet who can gain powers to help the main hero progress to new areas. "this is probably the first time anyone's done something interesting with the virtual pet concept since Seaman for Dreamcast."
  • They say that a publisher announcement is "imminent."

The NBA Jam stuff looks awesome. It looks like they're really trying to go back to the roots of the game. :D

grandjedi6

Black-Wind said:
And SMG2 + Other M.

Wheres the info? Is the front page a lie?
Oh its not a lie. They really do go over the "top 5 coolest things in Super Mario Galaxy 2" of what we know, and "The Mysteries of Metroid: Other M". However, if you've seen those games' E3 trailers than you already know everything they say.

Also, the subscriber edition doesn't mention any of those games on the front cover. Guess why? ;)

ethelred

donny2112 said:
[*]They say that a publisher announcement is "imminent."

Oh, that's very good news. The game looked quite promising, so I was hoping there'd be a publisher out there willing to pick it up.

Saw the table of contents had Shantae on it. Does the article happen to have a date for the game or is it just covering more info on the game characters?

Yeah the stuff mentioning Last Window & Reginleiv was just talking about how they are gonna be released in Japan and a little snippet about what kind of game it is.

grandjedi6

Okay, here's something that hasn't been mentioned yet:

Interview: Rieko Kodama
"First Lady of RPGs"

• Q: "Skies of Arcadia felt like a bit of a throwback to the RPGs of the 16-bit era. Was that something you had in mind when you started the project?"
  • A: "I certainly wouldn't say that was our intention, but as I recall, we were all feeling something of a backlash against the CG-movie-packed games that were in style at the time. It was very important to us that the player feel in control of the characters, instead of having the game suddenly switch to CG movies all the time."
  • "Actually, when IV was finished, we did talk about what the story of Phantasy Star V would be if we ever made it. It was more of a rough concept than a detailed story. We were discussing thigs like, "Is Dark Force really evil?", "Are there gods in the Phantasy Star universe?", "What is the Light Force in the world that opposes Dark Force?" "Is it Justice?". If we had made a Phantasy Star V, I think we would have tried to tie up the entire series, the whole Phantasy Star universe."
  • "At the time, the Dragon Quest series was dominating Japan. We started the project [Phantasy Star] because we wanted to make a new RPG that felt very different from the Dragon Quest games"
  • believes that Japanese RPGs have shied away from heavier topics (1) because the developers aren't necessarily looking to send any kind of message in their game and (2) because Japanese RPGs are nowadays being developed with a worldwide audiences in mind, Japanese developers may feel that international audiences wouldn't appreciate or understand Japanese concerns/cultural themes.
  • Influenced by D&D (particularly Raistlin). Talks about the differing portrayals of dragons in D&D compared to typical Japanese portrayals she grew up with.
  • Other influences: PC games (first person dungeons, illustration cut-ins, etc), Star Wars, etc.

Effect

I am pleasantly surprised by Lord of the Ring: Aragon's Quest. Looks like that could be pretty good in motion. Legend of Zelda like controls (finally), interesting setting, with a cool character. The Battle of the Pelennor Fields screen shot looks like that area or stage could be fun.

schuelma

Effect said:
I am pleasantly surprised by Lord of the Ring: Aragon's Quest. Looks like that could be pretty good in motion. Legend of Zelda like controls (finally), interesting setting, with a cool character. The Battle of the Pelennor Fields screen shot looks like that area or stage could be fun.

I could be wrong, but at least when it was announced I thought it was considered more of a younger demographic game?

donny2112

GoldandBlue said:
Saw the table of contents had Shantae on it. Does the article happen to have a date for the game or is it just covering more info on the game characters?

It's just part of a DSiWare preview for 2010. Just a small paragraph on the game.

donny2112 said:
  • "What do you get when you combine Metroid, Tamagotchi, and Henry Hatsworth? Project Monster, one of the year's most intriguing DS games."
  • It's made by some former EA employees who formed a new studio, DreamRift.
  • Top screen is the side-scrolling action-platforming with the bottom screen having Chomp, a virtual pet who can gain powers to help the main hero progress to new areas. "this is probably the first time anyone's done something interesting with the virtual pet concept since Seaman for Dreamcast."
  • They say that a publisher announcement is "imminent."
And my fucking DS Phat top screen just "cracked" today. >_>

Top Bottom