• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Power Holiday Issue 2007 (No More Heroes, Advance Wars, and more)

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
News
- EA’s acquisition of Bioware shouldn’t affect Sonic RPG, just in case anyone was still worried about this
-- According to UK newspaper Guardian Unlimited, Will Wright confirmed Spore (Wii).

Release Dates

-- Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney is coming out February 2008
-- Okami (Wii) – spring 2008
-- Sega Bass Fishing – Early 2008
-- Along in the Dark (DS) – TBA
-- Final Fantasy IV (DS) – 2008
-- Worms: A Space Oddity (Wii) – March 2008
-- Harvey Birdman (Wii) – January 2008
-- One Piece: Unlimited Adventure (Wii) – Q1 2008
-- Bomberman Land Touch! 2 (DS) – January 2008

New Games
-- Teenage Zombies: Invasion of the Alien Brain Thingys (Nintendo DS): Control 3 zombies to save the earth from Alien Brain thingys. Platformer, switching between 3 zombies, each with their own abilities. Satirical take on Comics and retro sci-fi. Developer: InLight Entertainment

-- Runaway: The Dream of the Turtle (DS) – point and click adventure

-- Super Dodgeball Brawlers (DS) – revival of Super Dodge Ball on the NES, spring 2008 release date

Upcoming Virtual Console titles
- Art of Fighting
- Magician Lord
- Fatal Fury
- Gate of Thunder
-Golden Axe III
- Lunar Pool
- Metal Marines
- Ninja Jajamaru-Kun
- Castlevania II: Simon’s Quest
- Samurai-Ghost
- World Heroes
- Ninja Gaiden II: The Dark Sword of Chaos

Mario Kart Wii
-Wifi races for at least 12 players
- Executing a successful stunt gives you a “sweet reward”
- 16 brand new tracks plus many older ones
-motion control works well
- Spring 2008 release date

Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity
-motion controls have some issues but you can use the Gamecube controller

No More Heroes
- Nintendo Power were the first to play through the whole game, they seemed to love it and think it was completely crazy
- When Travis needs money he can stop by the job center to play minigames such as “mowing the lawn” or “carrying coconuts” to earn money
- The game’s menu is like the Atari 2600 in graphics and sound
-Travis is given/gives these words of encouragement before a boss fight at one point “You are the man! Eye of the tiger! Enter the red zone! Now, off to the garden of madness”
-Travis’s battle cry is “Strawberry on the Shortcake!”
- The game follows a set gameplay pattern: Travis runs around town doing odd jobs and assassinations until he can afford the entry fee for the next ranked match (the bosses). After he deposits the money he gets a phone call from Sylvia and goes to the match area. Fighting through waves of enemies takes place until he meets the boss. Travis beats the boss and he gets a health boost + story update. The process then repeats
- tons of stuff to do inbetween bosses such as upgrading the beam katana, improving his stats by training, watching wrestling tapes to learn new moves and buying new clothes
- all you can really do outdoors is go from place to place, all the action takes place inside
- the tiger in the HUD stays inactive until Travis enters a “dark mode”. Then it stands up and walks across the screen signifying the time limit for the “dark mode’
- The Japanese version removes the blood and replaces it with a black spray
- There is a cat in Travis’s room that he can play with, there doesn’t seem to be an actual purpose to this though
- When Travis gets a phone call the wiimote speaker will actually ring.
- A large part of the fun of No More Heroes is the insane bosses
- NP says the game is one of the freshest and funniest games in years

Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates
- early 2008 release date

Samba de Amigo
- Gearbox was very adamant to make a Samba de Amigo sequel, in fact they are the ones who pestered Sega to do it.
- Gearbox says forums users want a Samba de Amigo remake for the Wii more than anything else, so that is what they are doing
- The game will feature a mixture of songs from the original and the 2000 version
- Will contain “Hustle mode” from the 2000 version
- They are doing something with Miis
- Gearbox wants Wifi multiplayer but aren’t sure if it will work yet

interview with Shun Nakamura said:
NP: “Since the release of the original Samba de Amigo, what other titles has the team worked on?”
Shun: “Right after Samba, I did direction on Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg, the later, on Sonic the Hedgehog (360). Currently, I’m on the development team for Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games”

Advance Wars: Days of Ruin
-The main character is Will, after the meteorite hit and killed every one he spent weeks living on only canned bread while digging himself out of rubble and dead bodies.
- 26 main missions
- 30 “training” missions can be unlocked as you complete levels
- new “Bike infantry” unit, can move quickly and capture cities but doesn’t have as much fire power as larger vehicles
-“Flare”, a new tank unit that can lob a bright light at enemies that are concealed by the Fog of War.
-“Duster”, a crop duster aircraft that can attack any kind of aircraft or land unit, but it isn’t as powerful.
- “Mobile Cannon” units
-another new unit is a ship that can mesh smartly with existing units (???)
-Everytime a unit destroys another unit it gains a rank, which gives it added strength. Can be upgrade 3 times, then it is a “veteran” unit
- CO powers aren’t as powerful as before
- The CO rides with a unit of your choice, giving that unit “veteran” status and power. If the unit gets defeated the CO returns to the base.
-As the CO’s unit destroys enemies the CO fills the CO power gauge.
-CO makes nearby vehicle’s more powerful
- CO’s also have a “CO zone” which gives units in the zone different power ups based on the CO. For example, a CO could give units added defense or increase their visual range
- Friend Code Wifi battles are voice chat inabled, just like Pokemon Diamond & Pearl was.
- Over 150 multiplayer campaigns available.
- You can create your own map which can then be uploaded to a server for all players in the world to try. People can also rank the uploaded map’s quality.
- Other CO’s include Isabella, has amsnesia and can only remember sensitive military details (looks like a shy anime girl ripoff);
-and Waylon, a hot shot flyboy who suddenly finds himself allyless (looks a life a “Are you a bad enough dude to save the president” rip off)

Sega Superstars Tennis
-features Sonic and 15 other Sega superstars (including Amy, Eggman, Samba de Amigo, Ulala and Aiai (Super Monkey ball guy).)
-spring 2008 release date
- courts designed after classic Sega games, 10-12 courts in total

Interview: Goichi Suda (Suda 51)
-Suda started out as a scenario writer for Fire Pro Wrestling Special, in which he had the main character commit suicide at the end
- Suda named characters in No More Heroes by rhythm and sound, not meaning. Hence “Travis Touchdown”
-“No More Heroes” is a quote from the song “The Stranglers”. But also the assassins are like heroes to Travis, so if he defeats them all he won’t need heroes anymore.
-
NP: “Crazy question time: how would No More Heroes’ Travis Touchdown react if he went into a restaurant for a burger, but they were all out?!”

Suda: “That’s a funny question. Travis would say:
“Ha! For Real? Fuck! Wait a minute. What’s going on? Get a manager, Ben! I need to talk to the fucker. He is a loser and just a fucker. I can’t believe that burgers are all out in an American diner. I haven’t heard about that. What the fuck! Where is Ben? Ha…. Ben is not here for a week because he is training at headquarters? FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! What the fuck! What? You’re asking me for my order? I’m here to get a burger. You are a fucking dork! You’re asking me for my order? Well…can I have a cherry pie?”

Travis is a kid trapped in a man’s body”
-Suda would describe his games as a “Punk game” – a game with an edge.
-NP: When it comes to violence in video games, everyone seems to have their own opinion about what is acceptable and what is not. Whwere do you, personally, draw the line?

Suda: This is a difficult issue. Each country has a different perspective, and acceptance for the freedom of entertainment is different in each country. Currently in Japan, the measure of restrictions of overall expression, not only violence is strict. There is a saying “do as the Romans do”. It means that if you live in Rome, it’s better to follow the rules and customs of Rome. Therefore, I basically follow the restrictions that are established in the country. I have a special consciousness in respect to the Japanese restrictions. I am not sure whether it’s important to water down the expressions extremely for children. These days you see more realistic graphics, but when human characters are injured and do not bleed, some people take them as reality, or some people consider that they can do similar things in real life without hurting others. From the position of a creator, I always think about how scary it would be if players acknowledge this as a reality.”

Reviews

Super Mario Galaxy – 9.5
Mario Party DS – 8.0
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (Wii) – 7.5
Rayman Raving Rabbids 2 (Wii) – 6.5
Manhunt 2 (Wii) – 7.5
Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles (Wii) – 8.0
Ghost Squad (Wii) – 7.0
Godzilla Unleashed (Wii) – 5.5
Cooking Mama 2: Dinner with Friends (DS) – 7.0
Tomb Raider Anniversary (Wii) – 6.5
Orcs & Elves (DS) – 5.0
Dementium: The Ward (DS) – 8.5
Link’s Crossbow Training (Wii) – 6.5
Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings (DS) – 7.5
The Simpsons Game (Wii) – 4.0
Need for Speed: Pro Street (Wii) – 8.0
Medal of Honor Heroes 2 (Wii) – 8.0
Ontamarama (DS) – 7.0
Soulcalibur Legends (Wii) – 6.5
Trauma Center: New Blood (Wii) – 8.0

Next Month

Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney (cover)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
ASH: Archaic Sealed Heat
Dragon Quest Swords

sphinx

the piano man
this is a great thread. Information placed in order with interesting stuff bolded.

there is so much to make comments about I don't know where to start.

So he said fuck 9 times in a Nintendo Power article? Wow.

- Gearbox was very adamant to make a Samba de Amigo sequel, in fact they are the ones who pestered Sega to do it.

I totally believe that. Samba de Amigo on the Wii makes perfect sense, so obviously Sega couldn't have come up with the idea themselves.

grandjedi6

Night_Trekker said:
So he said fuck 9 times in a Nintendo Power article? Wow.

I totally believe that. Samba de Amigo on the Wii makes perfect sense, so obviously Sega couldn't have come up with the idea themselves.

Thats Fucks were censored but it was VERY obvious what he was saying

sphinx

the piano man
_Alkaline_ said:
Awesome thread.

I vote grandjedi makes all NP threads from now on.

I 2nd this.

I still can't believe this is true. :D I always thought MGS4 on 360 or RE5 on Wii were more reasonable rumnors than Okami on Wii.

CoolTrick

Banned
Now, come on, I know Nintendo Power is a bit hard on reviews, but they couldn't even give Mario Galaxy a 10? (And they never gave Zelda OoT a 10 either!)

This is a good issue.

I'm a bit...annoyed that Apollo Justice is landing in such a crowded month (and I really didn't want it and Layton to go against each other), but it just means more gaming that month.

CoolTrick said:
Now, come on, I know Nintendo Power is a bit hard on reviews, but they couldn't even give Mario Galaxy a 10? (And they never gave Zelda OoT a 10 either!)

According to them, Prime 3 is better.

grandjedi6

Night_Trekker said:
Ouch. Why did it score so low?
Link's Crossbow Training

Pros
-controls work well, the game is fun
-a healthy dose of fan service

Cons
-too short
-no real inventive to go for high scores
-did I mention it's too short?

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
Jesus, No More Heroes sounds godly. Too godly. I think I need to pick up this month's Nintendo Power. I haven't owned a Nintendo Power since Mario 64 came out. I can see that the new editors are now in effect.

G4life98

np said:
News

Mario Kart Wii

has there been news on a wifi battle-mode yet?

hopefully there is alot of variety in the stunts that you can pull off.

grandjedi6 said:
Link's Crossbow Training

Pros
-controls work well, the game is fun
-a healthy dose of fan service

Cons
-too short
-no real inventive to go for high scores
-did I mention it's too short?

Ah. Basically what I expected.

Thank you very much :D

Vagabundo

PuppetSlave said:
Lets just say I have learned to not hope for too much =P
(Confession: I was a gamecube only owner.)

I'm cynic too, but I'm cautiously optimistic about MK.

I've been hurt too many times!!But maybe this time it is for real.

AlternativeUlster

grandjedi6 said:
News
- EA’s acquisition of Bioware shouldn’t affect Sonic RPG, just in case anyone was still worried about this

That's awesome. I didn't think it was.

grandjedi6 said:
-- According to UK newspaper Guardian Unlimited, Will Wright confirmed Spore (Wii).

I thought Will Wright confirmed it for the Wii a long time ago. This will probably be the only way I can possibly play it.

grandjedi6 said:
Release Dates
-- Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney is coming out February 2008
-- Along in the Dark (DS) – TBA
-- Worms: A Space Oddity (Wii) – March 2008
-- Harvey Birdman (Wii) – January 2008

Sweet beans. I am glad Okami is coming sooner than the Q4 2008 that was being tossed around and Apollo comes out so soon after 3 (in which I still need to get through and probably will after I finish Galaxy). I hope Alone in the Dark for the DS is the original. I was never able to get through it on the PC back in the day. Will probably get Worms and Harvey Birdman as soon as I see used copies but maybe sooner for Worms because it will be such an awesome party game.

grandjedi6 said:
New Games
-- Runaway: The Dream of the Turtle (DS) – point and click adventure

-- Super Dodgeball Brawlers (DS) – revival of Super Dodge Ball on the NES, spring 2008 release date

2 DS games I will need to get. More sweet beans.

grandjedi6 said:
Upcoming Virtual Console titles
- Art of Fighting
- Magician Lord
- Fatal Fury
- Gate of Thunder
-Golden Axe III
- Lunar Pool
- Metal Marines
- Ninja Jajamaru-Kun
- Castlevania II: Simon’s Quest
- Samurai-Ghost
- World Heroes
- Ninja Gaiden II: The Dark Sword of Chaos

I think almost all of those have already been released.

grandjedi6 said:
Mario Kart Wii

I am still slightly worried. I don't know what it is but I am just not that excited about despite spending bazillions of hours on the DS version.

grandjedi6 said:
No More Heroes
- Nintendo Power were the first to play through the whole game, they seemed to love it and think it was completely crazy
- When Travis needs money he can stop by the job center to play minigames such as “mowing the lawn” or “carrying coconuts” to earn money
- The game’s menu is like the Atari 2600 in graphics and sound
-Travis is given/gives these words of encouragement before a boss fight at one point “You are the man! Eye of the tiger! Enter the red zone! Now, off to the garden of madness”
-Travis’s battle cry is “Strawberry on the Shortcake!”
- The game follows a set gameplay pattern: Travis runs around town doing odd jobs and assassinations until he can afford the entry fee for the next ranked match (the bosses). After he deposits the money he gets a phone call from Sylvia and goes to the match area. Fighting through waves of enemies takes place until he meets the boss. Travis beats the boss and he gets a health boost + story update. The process then repeats
- tons of stuff to do inbetween bosses such as upgrading the beam katana, improving his stats by training, watching wrestling tapes to learn new moves and buying new clothes
- all you can really do outdoors is go from place to place, all the action takes place inside
- the tiger in the HUD stays inactive until Travis enters a “dark mode”. Then it stands up and walks across the screen signifying the time limit for the “dark mode’
- The Japanese version removes the blood and replaces it with a black spray
- There is a cat in Travis’s room that he can play with, there doesn’t seem to be an actual purpose to this though
- When Travis gets a phone call the wiimote speaker will actually ring.
- A large part of the fun of No More Heroes is the insane bosses
- NP says the game is one of the freshest and funniest games in years

I think I am anticpating this more than Brawl now. I hope all of you buy this game on the first day so Grasshopper will have funds for its other 3 Wii games.

grandjedi6 said:
Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates
- early 2008 release date
Is this the WiiWare title or the Final Fantasy game that was supposed to come out like earlier this year when they first announced it?

grandjedi6 said:
Samba de Amigo
- Gearbox says forums users want a Samba de Amigo remake for the Wii more than anything else, so that is what they are doing
- The game will feature a mixture of songs from the original and the 2000 version
- Will contain “Hustle mode” from the 2000 version
- They are doing something with Miis
- Gearbox wants Wifi multiplayer but aren’t sure if it will work yet

I am so glad that this happening but I wish it was a true sequel than remake. Oh well. I guess it can happen in the future. Where is my Space Channel 5 remake?

grandjedi6 said:
Advance Wars: Days of Ruin
-The main character is Will, after the meteorite hit and killed every one he spent weeks living on only canned bread while digging himself out of rubble and dead bodies.
- 26 main missions
- 30 “training” missions can be unlocked as you complete levels
- new “Bike infantry” unit, can move quickly and capture cities but doesn’t have as much fire power as larger vehicles
-“Flare”, a new tank unit that can lob a bright light at enemies that are concealed by the Fog of War.
-“Duster”, a crop duster aircraft that can attack any kind of aircraft or land unit, but it isn’t as powerful.
- “Mobile Cannon” units
-another new unit is a ship that can mesh smartly with existing units (???)
-Everytime a unit destroys another unit it gains a rank, which gives it added strength. Can be upgrade 3 times, then it is a “veteran” unit
- CO powers aren’t as powerful as before
- The CO rides with a unit of your choice, giving that unit “veteran” status and power. If the unit gets defeated the CO returns to the base.
-As the CO’s unit destroys enemies the CO fills the CO power gauge.
-CO makes nearby vehicle’s more powerful
- CO’s also have a “CO zone” which gives units in the zone different power ups based on the CO. For example, a CO could give units added defense or increase their visual range
- Friend Code Wifi battles are voice chat inabled, just like Pokemon Diamond & Pearl was.
- Over 150 multiplayer campaigns available.
- You can create your own map which can then be uploaded to a server for all players in the world to try. People can also rank the uploaded map’s quality.
- Other CO’s include Isabella, has amsnesia and can only remember sensitive military details (looks like a shy anime girl ripoff);
-and Waylon, a hot shot flyboy who suddenly finds himself allyless (looks a life a “Are you a bad enough dude to save the president” rip off)

Easily the best DS game of all time.

grandjedi6 said:
Interview: Goichi Suda (Suda 51)
-Suda started out as a scenario writer for Fire Pro Wrestling Special, in which he had the main character commit suicide at the end
- Suda named characters in No More Heroes by rhythm and sound, not meaning. Hence “Travis Touchdown”
-“No More Heroes” is a quote from the song “The Stranglers”. But also the assassins are like heroes to Travis, so if he defeats them all he won’t need heroes anymore.
-
-Suda would describe his games as a “Punk game” – a game with an edge.

I need to read this interview. Awesome get.

grandjedi6 said:
Reviews

Super Mario Galaxy – 9.5
Mario Party DS – 8.0
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (Wii) – 7.5
Rayman Raving Rabbids 2 (Wii) – 6.5
Manhunt 2 (Wii) – 7.5
Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles (Wii) – 8.0
Ghost Squad (Wii) – 7.0
Godzilla Unleashed (Wii) – 5.5
Cooking Mama 2: Dinner with Friends (DS) – 7.0
Tomb Raider Anniversary (Wii) – 6.5
Orcs & Elves (DS) – 5.0
Dementium: The Ward (DS) – 8.5
Link’s Crossbow Training (Wii) – 6.5
Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings (DS) – 7.5
The Simpsons Game (Wii) – 4.0
Need for Speed: Pro Street (Wii) – 8.0
Medal of Honor Heroes 2 (Wii) – 8.0
Ontamarama (DS) – 7.0
Soulcalibur Legends (Wii) – 6.5
Trauma Center: New Blood (Wii) – 8.0

Pretty decent scores all around. I agree with the 6.5 for Tomb Raider Anniversary. Really clunky but still pretty neat. I need to get Trauma Center and Medal of Honor soon. Good score for Manhunt 2. I hope to find a used copy soon.

grandjedi6 said:
Next Month

Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney (cover)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
ASH: Archaic Sealed Heat
Dragon Quest Swords
[/QUOTE]

Does this mean ASH is coming to the US?

duffey

Wait Runaway is making it's way to the DS? That's pretty excellent.

edit: whoaaa ulster don't quote the whole thing oh my god

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Did they say anything about the new content in the Samba sequel? It sounds like they're follow their forum members and making it more of a remake.

Polari

No More Heroes is going to be so good. Oh yeah and it's not from a song "The Stranglers", it's from a song by The Stranglers.

Lobster

Banned
AlternativeUlster said:
Thanks dude. Jesus, that makes the total of Crystal Chronicles games for the year to 3 then. Talk about milking something that didn't do that well in the first place.

Ring of Fates did pretty well on the DS actually. Not a million seller but pretty well.

grandjedi6

AlternativeUlster said:
Does this mean ASH is coming to the US?

It is very possible. I've never seen Nintendo Power do a big preview like this for a game not coming to NA.

jj984jj said:
Did they say anything about the new content in the Samba sequel? It sounds like they're follow their forum members and making it more of a remake.

Other than what I've already posted, no. They said they weren't ready to talk specifics on the new content

Boerseun

Banned
AlternativeUlster said:
Thanks dude. Jesus, that makes the total of Crystal Chronicles games for the year to 3 then. Talk about milking something that didn't do that well in the first place.

The original Crystal Chronicles on Gamecube was awesome in multiplayer, while single-player was in my opinion still much more fun than the likes of Dark Alliance and its knock-offs.

I think it sold something like 350 000 copies in Japan, don't know about the rest of the world. That still isn't bad at all though. I do however reckon they should drop the "Final Fantasy" moniker. It's at the point where the franchise is strong enough to stand on its own. And may very well do better commercially if not branded as a mere spin-off.

wsippel

Banned
duffey said:
Wait Runaway is making it's way to the DS? That's pretty excellent.
DS and Wii, yes. European studios have quite a few point'n'click adventures for Wii and DS in the works.

AlternativeUlster

Boerseun said:
The original Crystal Chronicles on Gamecube was awesome in multiplayer, while single-player was in my opinion still much more fun than the likes of Dark Alliance and its knock-offs.

I think it sold something like 350 000 copies in Japan, don't know about the rest of the world. That still isn't bad at all though. I do however reckon they should drop the "Final Fantasy" moniker. It's at the point where the franchise is strong enough to stand on its own. And may very well do better commercially if not branded as a mere spin-off.

I agree. It should just be called Crystal Chronicles from now on.

Top Bottom