• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Power - July 2009 Issue (Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days, Scribblenauts, Muramasa)

pakkit

Banned
TheOneGuy said:
The effort they've been putting forth for their original IPs is on a completely different level then their licensed projects. Or did you miss the "best FPS on Wii," "platform defining multiplayer" parts?

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
pakkit said:
What are its other reviews?

Mostly E3 impressions. Some say it plays like a dream, some can't tell the diff with the motionplus controls versus traditional controls. Graphics look great, then someone says animation looks wonky. It's weird.

Sloane

Banned
BorkBork said:
Mostly E3 impressions. Some say it plays like a dream, some can't tell the diff with the motionplus controls versus traditional controls. Graphics look great, then someone says animation looks wonky. It's weird.
Yeah, read the same in a couple of German reviews. I don't care much about the graphics but if it doesn't play significantly better than Wii Sports' Tennis, I can't see myself buying it.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The Conduit was never going to be the 10/10 blockbuster that some people seemed to think it would be. It is the developer's first real trecking into an original IP, and time constraints and certain directional choices probably held it back a little bit.

But 8/10 is still a ridiculously good score from a developer known only to few, and to them known primarily for awful licensed games. The single player might be rough, but the reviews seem to give great praise to the weapon selection and online.

And hey, if you want a really solid online shooter then I think The Conduit is going to deliver for plenty of people.

Twig

Banned
pakkit said:
The effort they've been putting forth for their original IPs is on a completely different level then their licensed projects. Or did you miss the "best FPS on Wii," "platform defining multiplayer" parts?
Everything I've seen from them thus far has left me underwhelmed. Licensed or otherwise. I don't buy into hyperbole. I'll believe it when I see it.

TheOneGuy said:
Everything I've seen from them thus far has left me underwhelmed. Licensed or otherwise. I don't buy into hyperbole. I'll believe it when I see it.
well Anihawk said he was impressed and given that me and him seems to have the same views on fps based on his past comments i assume this one is at least decent. (conduit that is)

pakkit

Banned
TheOneGuy said:
I'd hardly call "the best FPS on Wii" hyperbole. :lol

It does, however, point towards it being a good game.

Twig

Banned
pakkit said:
I'd hardly call "the best FPS on Wii" hyperbole. :lol

It does, however, point towards it being a good game.
That's prime hyperbole material! The fact that there are few FPS on Wii makes it more effective hyperbole, but doesn't make it any less hyperbole.

I am not saying it's impossible for the game to be good, but I mean everything I see from them looks ugly. I'm not talking tech, mind you, just plain old visual appeal.

I guess most of my vitriol is spawned from their WiiWare releases. And then there's that... gladiator game.

Like I said, I'll believe it when I see it. The best praise I've heard about The Conduit is it reminded someone of Timesplitters 2, the only console FPS I've ever enjoyed. This alone can stand up against my everlasting pessimism!

Ydahs

perfectchaos007 said:
7.5 for EA tennis? hmm...I'll check out reviews for Virtua tennis and get the better overall rated one i suppose.
ONM gave it 90%. Like many Wii games, there seems to be discrepancy between reviews. The game is out on Monday right? We should be getting a lot of reviews during the week.

hiredhand

grandjedi6 said:
Nintendo Power
-- Sega is releasing a new “Jambo! Safari” game for the Wii and DS.

Wow, Jambo! Safari is finally going to consoles. I hope the wii version supports Motion+.

Screenshots from the wii version:

3309z14.jpg
s1j6fn.jpg
fz5bg0.jpg
jhq72x.jpg

botticus

fresquito said:
I'd like to know details on the Grand Slam Review.
+ Lots of play modes
+ RPG elements

MotionPlus learning curve is steep - lots of potential for misreading your movements, need to learn what the game expects from you.

Without M+, it plays pretty much like Wii Sports tennis, with the option of using the nunchuk to move yourself.

pakkit

Banned
botticus said:
MotionPlus learning curve is steep - lots of potential for misreading your movements, need to learn what the game expects from you.
I don't know who to believe anymore! I really want to support GST, it's exactly the type of games I want on Wii, but if the control scheme isn't there it's a pass. So we have hype from IGN calling it "the best tennis game ever," and then we have this which makes it seem like a really good game with a pretty substantial flaw. I'll just sit it out and wait for more impressions, I guess.

Azure J

“So, any hints on what you’re working on next?”
“We’re making a 2-D game, of course! Unfortunately, I can’t tell you anything more than that. We’re working really hard in hopes that we can announce the project soon… But when Starcraft 2 comes out, there’s a strong possibility that we’ll get hooked and won’t be able to work anymore. [Laughs]”

a4v7uh.jpg

Can't wait to see what other beauties Vanillaware can create this gen. :D

sciplore

Woah starfy is being released in the usa? :O Thats what I get for not keeping up with the ds info.

Is it out now or coming sometime this month?

Eteric Rice

sciplore said:
Woah starfy is being released in the usa? :O Thats what I get for not keeping up with the ds info.

Is it out now or coming sometime this month?

I think it comes out today, actually.

The Hermit

Astro Boy (Wii)
-developed by High Voltage Software
-70% of the game is side and vertical scrolling levels made up of 2D action/platforming (like Astro Boy: Omega Factor!)
-30% of the game is made out of shooter levels ala Gradius (or Astro Boy: Omega Factor!)

o_O

fresquito

botticus said:
+ Lots of play modes
+ RPG elements

Without M+, it plays pretty much like Wii Sports tennis, with the option of using the nunchuk to move yourself.
Thanks. Well, if it controls anything like Wii Sports, with good ball physics and stuff, then I'm in. Motion+ is the icing of the cake for me. I just want Wii Sports Tennis with lots of more options. I'll give it a shot when it comes out.

1-D_FTW

pakkit said:
I don't know who to believe anymore! I really want to support GST, it's exactly the type of games I want on Wii, but if the control scheme isn't there it's a pass. So we have hype from IGN calling it "the best tennis game ever," and then we have this which makes it seem like a really good game with a pretty substantial flaw. I'll just sit it out and wait for more impressions, I guess.

Craig Harris was pretty negative on the game. He was saying the same things. You have to play by the game's rules. Sometimes you go into your backswing and it reads as a swing forward.

I think the best mentality is to just wait until it's released and see the detailed opinions of gaf buyers. That should settle whether these are quirks that are easily defeated or whether they're things that are unacceptable.

fresquito

1-D_FTW said:
Craig Harris was pretty negative on the game. He was saying the same things. You have to play by the game's rules. Sometimes you go into your backswing and it reads as a swing forward.

I think the best mentality is to just wait until it's released and see the detailed opinions of gaf buyers. That should settle whether these are quirks that are easily defeated or whether they're things that are unacceptable.
This happened to me when Wii Sports hit. There're some learning curve, for sure. The main problem is that when you're going backhand, you usually do it on a fast movement. Then the game registers you're swinging your racket, which is not the case.

You'd think that with M+ these things would be shorted out, but as someone is telling on Natal/Sony's wand threads over and over again, it's not about the technology, but about the implementation.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10

Pros
-swing mechanics have uncanny precision
-new level of control
-new putting system is more realistic
-new features such as live online tournaments, weather conditions via the forecast channel and disc-golf
-good commentary
-"most authentic sports video game I've ever played"

Cons
-putting recommendations can be inaccurate

Sloane said:
Is it really that bad or does NP just hate adventure games? I was actually thinking about buying it...
Miami Law

Pros
-campy humor

Cons
-awkward dialogue
-weird plot holes
-puzzles are full of confusing gaps in logic
-conversation trees are pointlessly frustrating
-picking the wrong choice of two equally sensible answers can kill you without warning

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Mmmm, Muramasa. Don't worry Vanillaware, I still think you can make an awesome game (Grim Grimoire rocked hard!)

Shahadan

Cons
-story is rote
-enemy AI fails to impress
-little innovation to speak of (outside if the controls)
-level of detail in the environment can be inconsistent at times
-no destructible environments
-The “All Seeing Eye” is a cool idea but underutilized
-the abrupt, Halo-esque ending (hints at a sequel?)

Yeah, 8 it i...wait what?

careful

grandjedi6 said:
Muramasa: The Demon Blade

Interview: George Kamitani

“It’s those who were dissatisfied with Odin Sphere that I most hope will try Muramasa: The Demon Blade”

“When we draw the graphics, we create them in high resolution from the beginning, and then shrink them down to fit the available memory when we convert them into game data.”

I would LOVE to see an HD version of this game. Imagine the beautiful 2D sprites in 1080p. :eek:

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
careful said:
I would LOVE to see an HD version of this game. Imagine the beautiful 2D sprites in 1080p. :eek:
I wouldn't hold your breath though. In that same interview, Kamitani talked about how it was impossible to get a publisher to pick up a 2-D game like theirs on the 360/PS3

careful

grandjedi6 said:
I wouldn't hold your breath though. In that same interview, Kamitani talked about how it was impossible to get a publisher to pick up a 2-D game like theirs on the 360/PS3
:'(

Sad thing is that he's probably right from a business perspective the game would not sell much on the 360/PS3 as a retail game. However, I think it could find a nice (albeit smaller) market as a $20 XBLA/PSN/Steam game.

pakkit

Banned
fresquito said:
You'd think that with M+ these things would be shorted out, but as someone is telling on Natal/Sony's wand threads over and over again, it's not about the technology, but about the implementation.
20f22if.gif

Umm, apparently this issue's Academy of Champions article confirms Jade, Rayman, and Sam Fisher as playable. :O

Can anyone confirm this? I found this at a site that shows scans, so I don't want to mention the site name. :/

The site said:

Here’s your only Beyond Good & Evil appearance you’re likely to see this year. - Photographer/adventurer Jade will be in Ubisoft’s Wii MotionPlus-enabled soccer game, Academy of Champions. In addition to genuine sports stars like Pele and Mia Hamm, you’ll also get to kickabout with Rayman and Sam Fisher.

AniHawk

Hero of Legend said:
Umm, apparently this issue's Academy of Champions article confirms Jade, Rayman, and Sam Fisher as playable. :O

Can anyone confirm this? I found this at a site that shows scans, so I don't want to mention the site name. :/

The site said:

Game of the Year

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I feel bad enough for Pele at the Ubisoft conference to buy this.

Actually, no I don't.

Here’s your only Beyond Good & Evil appearance you’re likely to see this year. - Photographer/adventurer Jade will be in Ubisoft’s Wii MotionPlus-enabled soccer game, Academy of Champions. In addition to genuine sports stars like Pele and Mia Hamm, you’ll also get to kickabout with Rayman and Sam Fisher.

Pele and Marado... Mia Hamm? Who's that? :lol

TunaLover

-- Majesco’s “Flip’s Twisted World” (Wii) will feature an original score by Tommy Tallarico
-- ZootFly Studios is making a game staring Mr. T and Will Wright fighting Nazis (Wii)

Interesting... indeed

Astro Boy news is strange, it was like yesterday when you could see Astro Boy fighting against American aircrafts, now an American comapany is making a game, without mention the movie.

Top Bottom