• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Power - November 2008 (V234) - Muramasa, GTA DS

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Ranger X said:
What are they saying about Sim City Creator?

What is bad about the game?
Sim City Creator
Pros
-The Wiimote is nice

Cons
-no opinion polls or ingame help ballons
-advisors don't actually give advice
-It's not Simcity 4

sphinx

the piano man
Amir0x said:
So did I, but the level of importance is certainly different. In the context of sphinx's betraylaton quote, that's why I mentioned that. GBA had a Grand Theft Auto as well, on a similar "secondary" scale. Like I said though, this is obviously somewhat more important to Nintendo so maybe it'll be better designed over all.

yeah but the GBA game was shit and possibly made with the idea in mind to make young gamers aware of the series and lure them into the PS2 games. In that sense, it meant absolutely nothing the fact that a GBA game existed. More so because the GBA was the only viable handheld in its time.

I understand the PSP has some troubles selling software, allright, but the PSP GTA games were successes if I remember correctly, besides they were spin-offs of the main PS2 games. R* could not have expected the selling power of san andreas with the PSP games.

So for me, the most convenient next step would have been to do "San Andreas Stories" for PSP, PS2 and possibly Wii to try to take a piece of the cake. That way PSP retains the games as original platform for the spin-offs and the PS2/Wii versions help make up for the lack of sales, if R* feels they won't be happy with the PSP sales alone.

but no....

we get GTA for DS chinatown wars.... of all newer systems, the one with the worst developing enviroment for a decent GTA game.

yes, in the context of the whole gaming world, it may not mean much. GTA on handhelds are spinoffs, any way we see it and aren't as important as the main games but in its own proportion, I still think this shows how sony got a huge middle finger from R*'s part.

I love how NP says Ys I & II is "meh", and yet, there are so many people who never played it before that loved it in the VC thread we made.

Well, it isn't like NP is anything more than "meh" anyway.

And they called Neo Turf Masters "meh"? WHAT PSYCHO-STIMULANTS ARE THEY ON, AND WHERE MIGHT I GET SOME?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Not going to Nintendo Power for my Virtual Console recommendations.
And Wario Land not receiving at least a 9.0 from them? :\

grandjedi6

Dragona Akehi said:
I love how NP says Ys I & II is "meh", and yet, there are so many people who never played it before that loved it in the VC thread we made.

Well, it isn't like NP is anything more than "meh" anyway.

And they called Neo Turf Masters "meh"? WHAT PSYCHO-STIMULANTS ARE THEY ON, AND WHERE MIGHT I GET SOME?
Now Dragona you know you shouldn't attack a review before reading it. Scores of "Hmmm...." could mean all kinds of things

Neo Turf Masters
Pros
-easy to grasp controls
-great visuals (for the time)
-decent selection of golfers and courses
-probably his favorite golf game ever

Cons
-it was already released for the SNK Arcade Classics Vol. 1 which is a better value for your money

YS Book 1 & 2
Pros
-sountrack is fantastic

Cons
-storytelling and combat is primitive

Now you can attack them :p

BasicUAE

Ummm... it looks more top down than isometric....
I dunno.... if the DS had better resolution... it could work but you have to squint to make out the characters :lol ....
maybe thats a good thing.... looks like the old GTAs

botticus

BasicUAE said:
Ummm... it looks more top down than isometric....
I dunno.... if the DS had better resolution... it could work but you have to squint to make out the characters :lol ....
maybe thats a good thing.... looks like the old GTAs
I don't really have high hopes for it (outside of sounding very full-featured) since I'm not really a GTA fan in the first place, but hopefully seeing it in motion will alleviate concerns about distinguishing objects in game.

It does look a little better without the scan lines, but not dramatically so.

Neo Turf Masters
Pros
-easy to grasp controls
-great visuals (for the time)
-decent selection of golfers and courses
-probably his favorite golf game ever

Cons
-it was already released for the SNK Arcade Classics Vol. 1 which is a better value for your money

And you can play it for free on Gametap..., and?

Such bullshit for one of the best golf games evar....

GTA DS looks awful :(

... Then again it's no suprise.

Yeah, it's a surprise, they could go for the PSX games look instead of this terrific, godawful use of cel-shading and polygons.

Or even they could check what some developers are doing in DS in terms of graphics, and then look on themself on shame...

Motivational_The-Rules.jpg

grandjedi6

Relaxed Muscle said:
And you can play it for free on Gametap..., and?

Such bullshit for one of the best golf games evar....
Nintendo Power doesn't review virtual console games on quality as much as they do for their value. Which makes sense when you accept that they are just rereleases of old games at set price points.

Ranger X

grandjedi6 said:
Sim City Creator
Pros
-The Wiimote is nice

Cons
-no opinion polls or ingame help ballons
-advisors don't actually give advice
-It's not Simcity 4

So there's no way to know what the population is whinning about? LOLOLOL

At least the 2 other points are perfectly normal.

Fuzz Rez

Banned
Vic said:
It will probably look very nice on a DS screen.

I saw new scans of it and it doesn't actually look too bad, it even looked pretty good in some scans. I hope we will see some video footage of it soon.

Amir0x

Banned
sphinx said:
yeah but the GBA game was shit and possibly made with the idea in mind to make young gamers aware of the series and lure them into the PS2 games. In that sense, it meant absolutely nothing the fact that a GBA game existed. More so because the GBA was the only viable handheld in its time.

I understand the PSP has some troubles selling software, allright, but the PSP GTA games were successes if I remember correctly, besides they were spin-offs of the main PS2 games. R* could not have expected the selling power of san andreas with the PSP games.

So for me, the most convenient next step would have been to do "San Andreas Stories" for PSP, PS2 and possibly Wii to try to take a piece of the cake. That way PSP retains the games as original platform for the spin-offs and the PS2/Wii versions help make up for the lack of sales, if R* feels they won't be happy with the PSP sales alone.

but no....

we get GTA for DS chinatown wars.... of all newer systems, the one with the worst developing enviroment for a decent GTA game.

yes, in the context of the whole gaming world, it may not mean much. GTA on handhelds are spinoffs, any way we see it and aren't as important as the main games but in its own proportion, I still think this shows how sony got a huge middle finger from R*'s part.

Again, it is NOT the worst platform development environment for the type of GTA experience they're going for. The one they're going for is the one that existed ON THE FUCKING PSONE, where the franchise started.

They are simply applying some rudimentary advancements to THAT formula, adopted from the big boys. PSP didn't lose that GTA to DS, this type of GTA would never have been made on PSP. The GTAIII type Grand Theft Auto gets made on the PSP platform.

There's no middle finger being given here, except by some hyperventilating fanboys. They very well may have decided that San Andreas Stories wasn't financially viable... but the result of that decision was not Chinatown Wars. They didn't give one platform a GTA in favor of the other.

There are two distinct type of Grand Theft Auto games. GTA1/2+London+GBA and now DS, vs. GTAIII, GTA:VC, GTA:SA, GTA:VCS, GTA:LCS and GTAIV.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Dascu said:
The new scans look kind of good, actually. The night-time shots look great.
The artstyle reminds me of the hand drawn GTA posters & covers.

sphinx

the piano man
Amir0x said:
Again, it is NOT the worst platform development environment for the type of GTA experience they're going for. The one they're going for is the one that existed ON THE FUCKING PSONE, where the franchise started.

They are simply applying some rudimentary advancements to THAT formula, adopted from the big boys. PSP didn't lose that GTA to DS, this type of GTA would never have been made on PSP. The GTAIII type Grand Theft Auto gets made on the PSP platform.

There's no middle finger being given here, except by some hyperventilating fanboys. They very well may have decided that San Andreas Stories wasn't financially viable... but the result of that decision was not Chinatown Wars. They didn't give one platform a GTA in favor of the other.

There are two distinct type of Grand Theft Auto games. GTA1/2+London+GBA and now DS, vs. GTAIII, GTA:VC, GTA:SA, GTA:VCS, GTA:LCS and GTAIV.

just one thing: the middle finger/slap in the face betrayalton comes from the fact that there is no GTA for PSP in the making or even announced.

you fail to realize that the PSP lost the GTA: "stories" games. Regardless of the GTA experience the DS can potentially offer, the fact that there is a GTA in the works (whatever kind of GTA) for DS and the PSP, where the true GTA experience was to be found, has been left in the dust is definitely not nice.

this isn't konami/Iga exploring new horizons with the PSP castlevania, as Order of Eccelsia proves that the best castlevania experience will always remain on DS.

this is like square-enix saying in 2010 after FF13 is released " FF14 goes to wii " and people do the damage control saying " well, the true FF experience will be somewhere else, FF14 will be like FF12 at best, probably more like FF10 ".... in such case, I'll tell that people there is no " somewhere else" ... the PS3 and 360 LOST the FF franchise...

in which case, we would have a betrayalton of epic proportions.

Amir0x

Banned
sphinx said:
this is like square-enix saying in 2010 after FF13 is released " FF14 goes to wii " and people do the damage control saying " well, the true FF experience will be somewhere else, FF14 will be like FF12 at best, probably more like FF10 ".... in such case, I'll tell that people there is no " somewhere else" ... the PS3 and 360 LOST the FF franchise...

WHAT? :lol

Jesus Christ sphinx, please stop while you're behind. What kind of histrionics is this bullshit?

There ARE two distinct different Grand Theft Auto games with two distinctive levels of importance, just like there ARE distinctive Final Fantasy titles with varying levels of 'weight'. Final Fantasy TACTICS ADVANCE is not the same magnitude as Final Fantasy XIII. Grand Theft Auto GBA and DS are not the same importance as Vice City Stories or Grand Theft Auto IV.

Your analysis is some of the worst uninformed bullshit I've read all week. The reason there is not a GTA currently announced for PSP, after it received two huge big boy Grand Theft Auto titles, is unknown. But that has nothing to do with this game.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
sphinx said:
just one thing: the middle finger/slap in the face betrayalton comes from the fact that there is no GTA for PSP in the making or even announced.

you fail to realize that the PSP lost the GTA: "stories" games. Regardless of the GTA experience the DS can potentially offer, the fact that there is a GTA in the works (whatever kind of GTA) for DS and the PSP, where the true GTA experience was to be found, has been left in the dust is definitely not nice.

this isn't konami/Iga exploring new horizons with the PSP castlevania, as Order of Eccelsia proves that the best castlevania experience will always remain on DS.

in which case, we would have a betrayalton of epic proportions.
Non-sense. NO ONE is starting new projects on the PSP. There is no console war here, just the PSP failing to sell games which deter anyone who were thinking of investing in it in order to make profits, period.

And I guess that since the DS have now reached a status that no handheld ever accomplished before (being a "main" console), GTA couldn't have not been thought lightly of like the past GB games.

sphinx

the piano man
Amir0x said:
WHAT? :lol

Jesus Christ sphinx, please stop while you're behind. What kind of histrionics is this bullshit?

There ARE two distinct different Grand Theft Auto games with two distinctive levels of importance, just like there ARE distinctive Final Fantasy titles with varying levels of 'weight'. Final Fantasy TACTICS ADVANCE is not the same magnitude as Final Fantasy XIII. Grand Theft Auto GBA and DS are not the same importance as Vice City Stories or Grand Theft Auto IV.

Your analysis is some of the worst uninformed bullshit I've read all week. The reason there is not a GTA currently announced for PSP, after it received two huge big boy Grand Theft Auto titles, is unknown. But that has nothing to do with this game.

o.k maybe GTA DS isn't precisely comparable to FF14, i'll admit that.

I'll try again, let's see if I suceed this time:

R* is using resources ( whatever ammount ) to produce a GTA game on DS. By doing so, other projects ( like anothe PSP GTA game, for example ) had to be put on hold at best or cancelled/never-green-lighted at worst.

the fact that resources (ANY) are being used for a GTA DS, no matter how cheap or ugly the game turns out ot be and not in something else ( for example san andreas stories on psp or psp/ps2, whatever) is definitely a FU greeting card from R* to sony.

like we all agree, I think, the GTA DS will most likely be an ugly, unefficient piece of garbage yet it's being done, sacrificing better possible GTA experiences achievable on PSP or PS2 ( even Wii if you like ).

does that makes sense?? if it doesn't, it' o.k, we're done.

Fatalah

I think the GTA DS screens look great. It's exactly what I wanted.

This comes from a guy that loved the original GTA games, before they went 3D. Don't worry, you'll look passed the overhead view if the gameplay is as good as gta1.

grandjedi6

sphinx said:
o.k maybe GTA DS isn't precisely comparable to FF14, i'll admit that.

I'll try again, let's see if I suceed this time:

R* is using resources ( whatever ammount ) to produce a GTA game on DS. By doing so, other projects ( like anothe PSP GTA game, for example ) had to be put on hold at best or cancelled/never-green-lighted at worst.

the fact that resources (ANY) are being used for a GTA DS, no matter how cheap or ugly the game turns out ot be and not in something else ( for example san andreas stories on psp or psp/ps2, whatever) is definitely a FU greeting card from R* to sony.

like we all agree, I think, the GTA DS will most likely be an ugly, unefficient piece of garbage yet it's being done, sacrificing better possible GTA experiences achievable on PSP or PS2 ( even Wii if you like ).

does that makes sense?? if it doesn't, it' o.k, we're done.

GTA DS is being developed by Mobius Entertainment/Rockstar Leeds, not Rockstar North. This only taking away "resources" if you think that Warriors, Table Tennis and Manhunt 2 also took "resources" away from a hypotetical San Andreas Stories

Opiate

Using Sphinx's argument, you could go ballistic any time a company makes a franchise you don't care about when they could instead be spending more on a franchise you do. Do you not like Monster Hunter? Complain that Capcom could instead be spending more on Dead Rising 2 or Street Fighter IV. Do you dislike Guitar Hero? Activision could use those resources to bolster Infinity Ward's Call of Duty projects, instead.

This line of thinking does have some merit, but it's a little absurd, simply because you could point the finger at basically every company in business, and it's all purely opinion. The correct answer to this line of thinking is: too bad.

not exactly what i was expecting, but GTA looks great. I love that shot with the police car chase at night. They sure got to NAIL the controls or this will become a pain in the arse to play

and about draw distance..what? is it even important in a isometric game?

besides, day one

Top Bottom