• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Power Sept 09 (LA MULANA to WiiWare, and some other shit)

tim1138

Just got the newest issue in the mail today.

Cover story is Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers and also features an interview with director Toshiyuki Itahana. I haven't read the article and interview yet, so more on that later.

Other games to get feature articles are Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box, Super Monkey Ball Step & Roll, Rock Band: Beatles and Dead Space: Extraction. There's also a nice article on the history of the Gameboy (it's 20th anniversary is this year).

From skimming over the Crystal Bearers article--covers mostly story progression, explaining who Layle is, the different races and the beginning of the game. Confirms its an action-adventure game and not a RPG, simply point and use B button to grab onto things with the telekinesis, WM+ was considered but decided against (felt it wasn't necessary). Oh and what sounds like a SOTC inspired boss fight against
Bahamut
that sounds like a lot of fun.

From the SMB feature: Graphics engine is an upgraded version of what they used in BB, the game controls with either the Wii Remote or Balance Board, new mini games, no jumping, no bosses and a feature they couldn't talk about yet.

In the News section it covers:
-Sky Crawlers getting localized
-the Mega Man, Mega Man X and Phoenix Wright Complete Works books coming to the US in the fall
-blurb about FF: 4 Warriors of Light
-Ubisoft's Your Shape
-the Calling by Hudson
-Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of the Sky
-Sky Pirates of Neo Terra (Mario Kart type races with planes)
-Rune Factory 3

Downloads (WiiWare previews):
-La-Mulana
-Moki-Moki
-Robocalypse: Beaver Defense
-Harvest Moon: My Little Shop

Games previewed are: A Boy and His Blob, Animal Kingdom Wildlife Expedition, Astro Boy: The Video Game, DDR, Deca Sports 2, Dragon Ball: Revenge of King Piccolo, Fossil Fighters, Harvest Moon DS: Sunshine Islands, Karaoke Revolution, Mini Ninjas, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, Naturo Shippuden: Ninja Destiny 2, Phantasy Star 0, Spore Hero, Spor Hero Arena, Spyborgs, Star Wars Clone Wars: Republic Heroes, Tornado Outbreak and Wireway.

Reviews:

Ant Nation - 2
GI Joe DS - 5
Madden NFL 2010 - 7.5
Space Bust a Move - 7
Transformers Revenge of the Fallen DS - 7
Transformers Revenge of the Fallen Wii - 5.5
Wii Sports Resort - 8.5

Next month's feature is No More Heroes 2 and reviews for Muramasa, Layton and Spyborgs.

Dascu

Info on Crystal Bearers? New characters? Gameplay details?

First thing I've heard about La Mulana coming to WiiWare as well.

Next month's feature is No More Heroes 2 and reviews for Muramasa, Layton and Spyborgs.
Yay.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
A 2?!

When was the last time they gave ... well, anything a 2?

Edit: Fantastic 4 Rise of the Silver Surfer DS in August 2007 is the only other time in history they've given out a 2.

tim1138

Dascu said:
Info on Crystal Bearers? New characters? Gameplay details?

First thing I've heard about La Mulana coming to WiiWare as well.

Yay.

From skimming over the Crystal Bearers article--covers mostly story progression, explaining who Layle is, the different races and the beginning of the game. Confirms its an action-adventure game and not a RPG, simply point and use B button to grab onto things with the telekinesis, WM+ was considered but decided against (felt it wasn't necessary). Oh and what sounds like a SOTC inspired boss fight against
Bahamut

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
tim1138 said:
Bahamut

Any release window?

BuzzJive

tim1138 said:
From the SMB feature: Graphics engine is an upgraded version of what they used in BB, the game controls with either the Wii Remote or Balance Board, new mini games, no jumping, no bosses and a feature they couldn't talk about yet.

Sounds promising so far.

My new feature speculation:
- Leaderboards
- Online Play
- User created/shared levels like Boom Blox 2 (that would be awesome)
- Inflatable life size monkey ball add on to encase the Balance Board (not really...)

Apenheul

Downloads (WiiWare previews):
-La-Mulana
-Moki-Moki
-Robocalypse: Beaver Defense
-Harvest Moon: My Little Shop

Don't know what it is but.. day one!

EDIT:
E3 Trailer

The title got me all excited but from the video it looks like just another TD game. No mention of cooperative multiplayer either.

Zihark

Whats La-Mulana? Does CB feature talk about the dungeons or any new characters?
BB is banana blitz-launch smb title for wii. Robocalypse- rts first appear as retail ds game, this is ww and i think different story, same genre.

tim1138

the thoroughbred said:

Banana Blitz.

BizzJive said:
Sounds promising so far.

My new feature speculation:
- Leaderboards
- Online Play
- User created/shared levels like Boom Blox 2 (that would be awesome)
- Inflatable life size monkey ball add on to encase the Balance Board (not really...)

I would not complain about any of these features (monkey included :lol ).
I agree that it will likely be some type of online feature. Online monkey target, baseball or fight would be so so awesome.

Zihark said:
Whats La-Mulana? Does CB feature talk about the dungeons or any new characters?

La-Mulana is a 2d PC action-adventure game.
The CB feature goes over gameplay basics, the setting, who Layle is, the general information you would already know if you've been following the game. Aside from the one boss fight I spoilered in the OP, I didn't see anything that jumped out at me as new, but I've also only skimmed over the article so far.

PusherT

the thoroughbred said:
Banana Blitz it was the first Super Monkey Ball game on the wii and 4th in the series. The 2 GC games and the DS. It came out around the Wii launch,

Sounds promising, jumping and bosses sucked in Banana Blitz. Here's hoping that the level design is up to scratch and that we get a smaller but higher quality selection of party games!

tenritsu

Banned
nincompoop said:
La-Mulana is coming to Wiiware? MEGATON

holy shit.

Whoever hasn't played this. Grab a copy or watched deceasedcrab's (youtube) videos.

holy shit.

EmceeGamer said:
oh fuck is deceased crab gonna LP that game AGAIN

I remember watching his videos through the hidden bonus dungeon and the ending... classic.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
La Mulana is pretty awesome but confusing as all hell... but I totally support when games like this come to WiiWare...

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
-the Mega Man, Mega Man X and Phoenix Wright Complete Works books coming to the US in the fall

Anyone know what this is? All I know is anything Phoenix Wright has me intrigued.

tim1138

jj984jj said:
Did they say anything interesting about A Boy and His Blob?

Talked about a couple of the new jellybeans and their potential uses (i.e. Banana anvil, drop on an enemy or switch). It has 40 levels, hidden areas and unlockables.

pakkit said:
Can I get a summation of the WSR review? Thanks in advance.

Sure.

They say it makes the original WiiSports look like a tech demo and will keep people coming back for more. Like the Brain Age games, there is a stamp system for progression and fulfilling various challenges within the different sports (the example given is looking for and shooting fruit hidden in the archery range instead of the targets). The WM+ works as advertised, and they say it is the definitive Wii game--in the sense it shows off and highlights what the Wii is about. They also mention you can import fan made Mii's from the Check Mii Out channel, which is the first I've seen that feature mentioned.

Zerokku said:
Anyone know what this is? All I know is anything Phoenix Wright has me intrigued.

Art books that cover each the respective series in their entirety.

Stumpokapow said:
A 2?!

When was the last time they gave ... well, anything a 2?

Edit: Fantastic 4 Rise of the Silver Surfer DS in August 2007 is the only other time in history they've given out a 2.

Oh man... that's rough.

tim1138 said:
Just got the newest issue in the mail today.
From skimming over the Crystal Bearers article--covers mostly story progression, explaining who Layle is, the different races and the beginning of the game. Confirms its an action-adventure game and not an RPG, simply point and use B button to grab onto things with the telekinesis, WM+ was considered but decided against (felt it wasn't necessary). Oh and what sounds like a SOTC inspired boss fight against
Bahamut

Pretty sure the director stated he still sees it as an RPG but they're calling it an action/adventure to hopefully spur more sales.

Wait, how ARE they gonna do La-Mulana? It's a game where you collect ROMs of actual (copyrighted) MSX games, and the graphics are intentionally MSX style.

Luma

Neo Member
How does Sky Pirates of Neo Terra look? There are so few good Mario Kart clones these days..

Very excited for Crystal Chronicles!

Fimbulvetr said:
Pretty sure the director stated he still sees it as an RPG but they're calling it an action/adventure to hopefully spur more sales.

I can confirm he said this as it was in an interview at E3 that he said it - to me.

Yeah Sky Pirates is coming to both DS and Wii, and the DS version was rated by the ESRB a couple of months back.

I don't have the issue so I don't know which version is shown, I just saw this off the developers website, Big Sandwich I think their name was.

donny2112

Stumpokapow said:

I'm pretty sure they've given lower but possibly not this decade. It's a rare event in any case. In the current setup if it's that bad, they usually just throw it into the blurb at the end of the reviews to note that it came out but no review score.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
EmCeeGramr said:
Wait, how ARE they gonna do La-Mulana? It's a game where you collect ROMs of actual (copyrighted) MSX games, and the graphics are intentionally MSX style.
Change it to NES and Super NES game cartridges, obviously.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Did you do that piece of CB artwork Orioto? Because DAMN.

Everything about it looks good. Looking forward to it.

Which games did they "recommend"/"hmmm..."/"grumble grumble" in the Download section? Was the WiiWare version of AntNation mentioned, and if so, how did it compare to the DS version? How did the DS version manage to get such a low score, anyway?

Top Bottom