• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Power Vol. 182

DrGAKMAN

Banned
I'm just gathering some interesting tidbits in this issue in case some of you don't know. I know that some of you probably already knew some of this stuff BUT it's new to me and I think it'll be new to alot of others too.

GBA Video...
There was an interview with them about GBA Video & GBA wireless. I knew Majesco was involved with the video...and if I remember right the official Nintendo headphones for GBA sp were made by Majesco too...seems like Nintendo & Majesco are quite close? Majesco has worked closely with Nintendo on a 36 month plan to further work on the compression technology which stores more video content on each gamepak. I think Majesco is involved with the licencing content on the format. Anyways, Majesco said that they're looking to get more than just cartoons on GBA video, even as far as live-action feature length movies! I know it's not such a big deal to most of you, but Nintendo spreading it's wings into other entertainment formats gives us an idea as to the dirrection they're going, plus if tiger Electronic's goofy B&W VideoNOW seriescan be successful than surely GBA Video will too. I'm just hoping they bring Aqua Teen Hunger Force to GBA Video...I'd love that!

GBA Wireless...
Majesco is making *a* GBA Wireless Adaptor...I still can't tell if it's the same Nintendo one's that will be in the new PokeMon Leaf & Fire editions, but NP sure talked about like as if they were one and the same. Which surprizes me, I didn't know Majesco was even involved??? Well either way, Majesco is making a GBA Wireless Adaptor (wether it'd be the Nintendo official one or not I don't know?) that allows just about any GBA game with Link Cable support to work wirelessly. Not only that, but the device allows for messenging within a 3 mile radius! That's the first I heard of anything like that. They say that it can openly accept messages even when it isn't plugged into your GBA and that once you plug it in you can read the messages and reply to those "online"...they talked like as if it was really gonna be big. 2 are sold together for $20 and the units last a full week between charges so you could really use it as a long distance walkie-talkie-like device for your GBA! www.majescogames.com has a list of games that are compatible with their GBA Wireless adaptor. I imagine that the wireless messaging works in long distance, but that you'd have to be closer to actually play Link games...if they're doing this stuff now with GBA imagine what Nintendo themselves is doing for Nintendo DS!

I still don't know if this is the official GBA Wireless adaptor, but Nintendo's is not only going to support the new PokeMon games, but also that new Zelda: Minish Cap game as well as games from Bandai.

Geist...
I know this game has been listed as coming out sooner, but NP says 2005.

Metroid Prime: Echoes...
Some people may have known this, but I found this news to be new. In multiplayer you can download viruses into other players to dissable their moves or weopons...I find this extremly cool.

Confirmations...
Second Sight & TimeSplitters 3: Future Perfect are still coming to GAMECUBE, Fire Emblem & One Peice: Treasure Battle are still listed as coming to the U.S. as well...oh yeah and I just noticed that the He-Man games is off the list and Dead Pheonix is back on.

WTF Games...
After looking thru some things I noticed games I didn't even know were being made...anyone else hear of any of theses:
-Bad Boys II
-Spider-Man 3 (already?)
-Unity (heard of this one, but what the hell is it again?)
-Pillage (what the hell is this?)
-Dead Rush (GTA meets RE?)
And GBA WTF games...
-Custom Robo GX (first I heard of this?)
-Famitsa Advance (no clue?)
-Pirate Battle (is this that highly detailed 2D game from that tiny developer...I didn't know they got a publisher?)
-Rave Master: Dual Explosion (is this based on franchise RAVE: The Groove Adventure game Konami made in Japan? if so why aren't they bringing over the GAMECUBE one too?)
-Scurge Hive (never heard of it?)
-Xyanide (likewise?)

Gundam...
One coming to GAMECUBE, 2 coming to GBA (SD & Gundam Seed) and Seed looks BEAUTIFUL and then one coming to Nintendo DS...it too looks beautiful and love the idea of it mixing 2D battle maps/stats to jump between Gundams in mid-fight, the 3D gameplay battles and then mixing in anime Gundam story animation all together using the two screens...it's amazing!

Resident Evil 4...
Can't believe NP actually went all out on their preview of this game. I remember they barely mentioned the RE remake nor RE Zero before it...maybe this time NOA *WILL* advertise this game this Christmas when it comes out!

Phantasy Star Universe...
Epic Center barely mentions this, and while this is NO confirmation that this game is headed to GAMECUBE, I'd like to think maybe Sonic Team's love of GAMECUBE and all the previous console versions this generation being on GAMECUBE plus this NP mention might mean something?

TMNT 2...
I know some of us were wondering wether or not BOTH arcade TMNT would be unlockable or not, but NP says: "What's more, you can unlock and play classic TMNT arcade games." You hear that gameS!

Eric-GCA

Banned
I think that most people expected Geist to be pushed back to 2005, it was gonna get trampled by Metroid and RE, especially taking into account the feedback that Nintendo no doubt received at E3 regarding the clunky controls.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Pillage was previewed in Edge some time ago. I can't recall which issue (I would look it up if I could remember handily). I recall it being colourful, and sufficiently interesting for me to read the preview (a lot of previews i overlook, believe it or not ;)). At the time, I don't remember it being slated for a GC release, though that said, it also did not have a publisher then.

DrGAKMAN said:
I'm just gathering some interesting tidbits in this issue in case some of you don't know. I know that some of you probably already knew some of this stuff BUT it's new to me and I think it'll be new to alot of others too.

Interesting info, I'll have to go leaf through the magazine.

GBA Video...
There was an interview with them about GBA Video & GBA wireless. I knew Majesco was involved with the video...and if I remember right the official Nintendo headphones for GBA sp were made by Majesco too...seems like Nintendo & Majesco are quite close? Majesco has worked closely with Nintendo on a 36 month plan to further work on the compression technology which stores more video content on each gamepak.

They need to. What I've seen of the technology was fairly poor, and at two episodes each, I really wonder "Why bother?" Parents would get more value out of a cheaper DVD, kids would probably rather blow their money on GBA games.

For Nintendo this just sounds like a media ploy - as long as it makes their general audience perceive that the GBA can handle video, thats fine with them.

GBA Wireless...
Majesco is making *a* GBA Wireless Adaptor...I still can't tell if it's the same Nintendo one's that will be in the new PokeMon Leaf & Fire editions, but NP sure talked about like as if they were one and the same. Which surprizes me, I didn't know Majesco was even involved???

I thought they showed this at E3? Last I heard, this was an unlicensed, 3rd party universal Wireless adapter. Of course, being a universal adapter, it would be non-autosensing, chew up battery life, and offer no extended functionality that the official adapter would provide. If Nintendo does endorse the product, I would be surprised, but it is possible.

I still don't know if this is the official GBA Wireless adaptor, but Nintendo's is not only going to support the new PokeMon games, but also that new Zelda: Minish Cap game as well as games from Bandai.

I've heard that Wireless support is part of the approval process now, so expect the support list for the official adapter to grow exponentially.

One Peice: Treasure Battle are still listed as coming to the U.S.

I wouldn't be surprised. Last time this game was announced, Bandai was probably feeding off the "almost done" licensing agreement with Funimation. Now that 4Kids has the series licensed and 50 eps ready to go this fall, it would make a lot of sense for Bandai to push that game on the market ASAP. (It's a lot of fun too!)

-Unity (heard of this one, but what the hell is it again?)

Jeff Minter's game. Search for other threads, thats all I can say.

-Pirate Battle (is this that highly detailed 2D game from that tiny developer...I didn't know they got a publisher?)
-Scurge Hive (never heard of it?)

Got = Are, for better or worse.

-Rave Master: Dual Explosion (is this based on franchise RAVE: The Groove Adventure game Konami made in Japan? if so why aren't they bringing over the GAMECUBE one too?)

Because dumping RAVE-GBA on the market is a cheaper and more effective way to test Rave's popularity with their target audience. Rave is primarily the anime/manga, with the games just being natural offshoots.

Custom Robo GX? Back again? This GBA title was on display at E3 2002 then dissapeared. I guess Nintendo figures that since they've released Custom Robo for GameCube they may as well put out the GBA one. Honestly, if they were smart they would have released the GBA game first and let it get huge, then release the GameCube version hot on the heels of the GBA title.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
I have to say something on your comments on GBA Video. I know to the normal tech-head or gadget freak that the technology is laughable, but to the GBA owner and the majority of it's market I see it being successful...I mean look at the VideoNOW disc's, IMO they're lame...BUT, it doesn't mean they aren't successful and that they don't sell.

So they are two seperate wireless adaptors...the Nintendo official one will work with future games like the new PokeMon ones and Minish Cap, while the Majesco one is unofficial. However, I think you're assessment is a lil' off...it comes with a messenger (with a nice communication distance), runs under it's own battery power (said to last a week on one charge) and seems to work with alot of other EXISTING Link Cable games...it seems to be endorced by Nintendo as well so I don't think it's as obscure as some unofficial peripherals are. It just seems odd that there's two different ones, why not merge their efforts, unless they're really radically different?

Okay wait...found more info on Majesco's unofficial GBA Wrieless Link:
http://gameboy.ign.com/articles/515/515156p1.html?fromint=1

Dyne

I HOPE Phantasy Star Universe comes out on Gamecube. It just feels so right, just like the last two games.

satterfield

BIGTIME TV MOGUL
I have to disagree on the opinion that the GBA video sucks. They came by and gave us a demo of it a couple months ago I thought it both looked and sounded pretty darn good. Sure, SpongeBob and Pokemon videos suck, but the bigger implications are that GBA games can now have some FMV in them without hogging an entire cartridge. I'm sure that makes Square Enix very happy.

satterfield said:
Sure, SpongeBob and Pokemon videos suck, but the bigger implications are that GBA games can now have some FMV in them without hogging an entire cartridge. I'm sure that makes Square Enix very happy.

Well, not really. Each Video cartridge is 32 megabytes (256megabit), or roughly double the size of the biggest GBA games today. GBA Publishers (outside of Nintendo, which absolves Square Enix) have to pay big-time royalties for the jump to 16MB, let alone 32. SRAM for saving costs even more, and we haven't even mentioned the codec license yet.

Given the costs involved, I'm not convinced FMV is worth the expense nor that a GBA Video has anything really to offer over a cheaper DVD product.

Then again, maybe people buy crappy licensed videogames. Sigh.

Taken from NP #182:

"...Racing Gears Advance (Orbital Media), a title that's getting some buzz as the best GBA street racer around..."

The picture reminds me of the racing segments of Blast Corps, which I loved.

atomsk

Party Pooper
for those of us with small children, GBA Video is a goddamn miracle.

i havent found anything else nearly as effective for getting a 2 year old to sit still for 45 minutes when your out having dinner...

Hero

GBA Video isn't that horrible. It's a pretty good deal for people who don't have DVD players in their cars.

Hero

omfg.gif

What the hell is this?

Soul4ger

atomsk said:
for those of us with small children, GBA Video is a goddamn miracle.

i havent found anything else nearly as effective for getting a 2 year old to sit still for 45 minutes when your out having dinner...

Exactly. We've gotten people that've come in and purchased several of them, for trips in the car and things.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
DrGAKMAN said:
GBA Wireless...
Majesco is making *a* GBA Wireless Adaptor...I still can't tell if it's the same Nintendo one's that will be in the new PokeMon Leaf & Fire editions, but NP sure talked about like as if they were one and the same. Which surprizes me, I didn't know Majesco was even involved??? Well either way, Majesco is making a GBA Wireless Adaptor (wether it'd be the Nintendo official one or not I don't know?) that allows just about any GBA game with Link Cable support to work wirelessly. Not only that, but the device allows for messenging within a 3 mile radius! That's the first I heard of anything like that. They say that it can openly accept messages even when it isn't plugged into your GBA and that once you plug it in you can read the messages and reply to those "online"...they talked like as if it was really gonna be big. 2 are sold together for $20 and the units last a full week between charges so you could really use it as a long distance walkie-talkie-like device for your GBA! www.majescogames.com has a list of games that are compatible with their GBA Wireless adaptor. I imagine that the wireless messaging works in long distance, but that you'd have to be closer to actually play Link games...if they're doing this stuff now with GBA imagine what Nintendo themselves is doing for Nintendo DS!

My understanding of the interview was that the Wireless Adapter and the Wireless Messenger were two seperate things (both of which are different from Nintendo's wireless adapter) and that they are selling 2 of the Adapters for $20... Think about it, one wireless adapter would be useless. It'll probably just be easier to quote the article and let everyone read for themselves

Nintendo Power, Vol. 182, p. 23

NP: Majesco's GBA Wireless Adapter is compatible with games that connect via Game Link cables. What challenge did you encounter in making that happen?

KR
(Kevin Ray) Our biggest challenge was to keep the cost low. We really wanted this to be a product that a Nintendo consumer could get for a couple bucks. We are selling a pair of Wireless Links for $19.99. I'm really happy about that price. The second challenge was to make it work with as many existing games as possible. We really didn't want a product that supported three or four games. We were shooting for about 150 games. Right now, we're sertifying games as fast as we can so the consumer will be able to see if their favorite games is supported. Most of the popular ones are already certified, and it's looking like the final list is going to be huge. Check out www.majescogames.com for the list of compatible games

NP: Tell us about the Wireless Messenger. How do you see people using it?

Resident Evil 4...
Can't believe NP actually went all out on their preview of this game. I remember they barely mentioned the RE remake nor RE Zero before it...maybe this time NOA *WILL* advertise this game this Christmas when it comes out!
NOA had better advertise this game! If they leave it in just the hands of Capcom USA, those morons will screw it up. Just like they did REmake, RE0, Viewtiful Joe, and every other game they lay their hands on. I swear, its as if Cap USA is intentionally trying to sabitoge their games.

TMNT 2...
I know some of us were wondering wether or not BOTH arcade TMNT would be unlockable or not, but NP says: "What's more, you can unlock and play classic TMNT arcade games." You hear that gameS!
That news story was about both the console game and the handheld game, so made that is the cause of it being plural. For all we know the GBA game has the NES and/or SNES version of the the arcade games.

Kon Tiki

Banned
DrGAKMAN said:
Epic Center barely mentions this, and while this is NO confirmation that this game is headed to GAMECUBE, I'd like to think maybe Sonic Team's love of GAMECUBE and all the previous console versions this generation being on GAMECUBE plus this NP mention might mean something?

Nintendo Power covers PSP games now? [/ssx]

IgeL

DrGAKMAN said:
-Xyanide (likewise?)

It's a horizontal shoot 'em up from PlayLogic. Not sure what to make of it, seemed quite average and uninteresting at E3 (30 secs look :8). It should be coming to Xbox (and PS2 I think), too.

radcliff

DrGAKMAN said:

Nintendo Power also mentioned the new Wanderer of Y's game a few issues ago and we now know the new game is a PS2 exclusive. So unfortuneately, this is not any kind of confirmation that PSU is coming to the GCN.

Deg

Banned
BobbyRobby said:
Taken from NP #182:

"...Racing Gears Advance (Orbital Media), a title that's getting some buzz as the best GBA street racer around..."

The picture reminds me of the racing segments of Blast Corps, which I loved.

Its awesome. :D

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Is Orbital Media the one behind that racing game, pirates game and weird looking adventure game? I plan to get the first two. Could someone post the link to the company website and/or pics of the games in questions. TIA.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
No offense, but if you want to find Orbital Media's site, it wouldn't be hard to. You could guess the URL, which is insanely simple, or search Google. Is asking here really easier?

Anyway, here's their page with the game info: http://www.orbitalmedia.com/games.php

AniHawk

Interesting that Dead Phoenix is back on. Doesn't confirm anything, but still interesting. I like the idea of GBA Wireless. If it expands, it could lead into the DS, which is probably Majesco and Nintendo's plan. I bet GBA Video will become DS Video by 2005.

Glad to see a hint that Geist may have been pushed back. That game really needed some polish, and like someone else said, it would have been trampled by MP2E and RE4. Also glad that Fire Emblem's gonna come over, now only FE VI and FE IX would be "announced" in a similar fashion.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
Obital Media Games look really cool and I thought I remember reading about the pirate one before.

The TMNT 2 thing was in reference to the arcade games being unlockable, not that the GAMECUBE & GBA games would have a TMNT arcade game in them. It clearly says classic arcade GAMES. Which I hope means that the original & Turtles in Time are both unlockable.

GBA Video is getting pretty big...Nick Toons, DiC, Cartoon Network, FoXBoX & FUNimation are all signed on and pre-orders for them have been pretty good. I think the toon & video game themed videos will fit the GBA demographic pretty well. It would be neat if more video game type stuff (like old Captain N or maybe even game movies) and more grown up toons (like stuff on Adult Swim or Japanese anime) could do real well with it. As far as smaller "for kids" media goes this is the successor to the VideoNOW disc's and I don't see it dying any time soon. Some of us may find it low quality, but does it matter...it's still gonna sell.

The GBA Wireless Adaptor thing had me real confused there, hence all the question marks in my original post. I was wrong in saying that the Majesco one would have the messenger in it...the way I read it at their site it sounds like two different things that might be sold together...not even IGN is clear on that.

PSU I dunno. My insane theory # 0127 tells me that Sega just has a concept and FMV for it and that they posted it on the net to get people excited and have yet to decide (or be persuaded) to where the game will go. It could be this generation, or maybe next generation...it could be a launch title for Xenon, but something tells me that it'll go to who ever the highest bidder is or it might just go to all platforms?

Cacpom USA screwing up advertising. Yes...they did with RE remake & RE Zero, it's like they were pissed that the games weren't on PS2. Then when the medicre at best RE: Outbreak comes out they advertise it like hell with crap like: "NOW...BACK on Playstation" pfft...I know that if they woulda advertised the ones on GAMECUBE better than they would've done better, but oh well. I disagree though that they screwed up Veiwtiful Joe ads...I saw alot of TV ads and they ran pretty frequently...but then again I watch Cartoon Network alot. Nintendo & Capcom both need to advertise their games more on TV and they NEED to advertise RE4, unlike their laid back approach with the previous ones on GAMECUBE.

AniHawk

The problem is Nintendo has ALWAYS advertised M rated games past 10:00 PM. Eternal Darkness, RE, Perfect Dark, RE 0, and Conker's Bad Fur Day. I saw a couple commercials for those games, but they were always late at night on Comedy Central or Fox. Nintendo needs to start advertising M rated games during prime time with more gory stuff later at night.

AniHawk said:
The problem is Nintendo has ALWAYS advertised M rated games past 10:00 PM. Eternal Darkness, RE, Perfect Dark, RE 0, and Conker's Bad Fur Day. I saw a couple commercials for those games, but they were always late at night on Comedy Central or Fox. Nintendo needs to start advertising M rated games during prime time with more gory stuff later at night.
Nintendo advertised ED in the afternoon on ESPN a few times.

GDGF

Soothsayer
I had that.

GDGF Fun Fact: When I was a gradeschooler, I would copy the codes and tips from classified information and make little booklets (all dressed up with a hand drawn cover by yours truely) to sell in class. Gave me candy money, anyway :)

Meier

Dan said:
Is asking here really easier?

In this case the answer just might be this since Crazy Moogle works for them. All their upcoming titles look stellar.. quite excited for them.

Jonk

I have the first Nintendo Power magazine SEALED in mint condition. I got it at the library free and it's been packed away in a secure location ever since.

I wonder how much that would go for. Probably VERY little.

AniHawk

Jonk said:
I have the first Nintendo Power magazine SEALED in mint condition. I got it at the library free and it's been packed away in a secure location ever since.

I wonder how much that would go for. Probably VERY little.

Sealed... I dunno. It's going for 30 cents right now on Ebay though.

Top Bottom