• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo President Says They Have More Unannounced Titles Planned This Year

Mista

Banned
Nintendo-logo-1024x576.jpg

In the latest Nintendo Annual Financial Briefing Q&A, President Shuntaro Furukawa confirmed there were unannounced titles that are planned to be released in the later part of 2020. That probably sounds like an obvious statement, but the company has been pretty quiet about the second half of the year, and there has been concerns relating to the COVID-19 pandemic. Even during this Q&A, Furukawa did warn that there could be delays, but as of now they are making their financial forecasts as if those planned titles will release (Big thanks to Robert Sephazon for transcribing and translating).

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Gaming needs Nintendo at their best and they're probably saving their AAA games for later in the year.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I assumed that was the case - traditionally we would get a huge number of reveals at E3 (which isn't happening this year). So far, they haven't really announced much of anything first party. I'm assuming they'll need to bring their A game to compete this holiday season with the competition's next-gen hardware.

Moogle11

Banned
They’ve got to have something for the holidays, and something more than the 3D Mario collection they’d been rumored. Excited it’s we what it is, but keeping expectations in check (I.e. not expecting Metroid Prime 4 or BOTW2).

mickaus

I just hope they release something before Christmas. Last year I got Three Houses in July and then was left with few big switch games to choose from at Christmas. (I am not so into new Pokémon games but would love another remake.)

Silvawuff

We haven't seen them pull a good Starfox title out of the hat for a while -- my bet is it'll be that. Or Metroid. They've still got to make recompense for that 3DS game nobody wanted.

iconmaster

Banned
Or Metroid. They've still got to make recompense for that 3DS game nobody wanted.

“That 3DS game” is fantastic and if the only Metroid we get this year is a Switch port of Samus Returns, I’ll be happier than a Squeept in magma.

Edit: Silvawuff meant Federation Force, not Samus Returns.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
So basically, "we have more than the absolute nothing we've currently announced".

Well, something is better than nothing, at least.

Klayzer

Doesn't it feel like Nintendo puts that pr statement out every second half of the year? Sounds strangely familiar.

Silvawuff

“That 3DS game” is fantastic and if the only Metroid we get this year is a Switch port of Samus Returns, I’ll be happier than a Squeept in magma.

That's valid. What did you like about it? IIRC it got some pretty heavy criticism when it was announced/came out before it fell into the void.

Solarstrike

Enough of the weeb trash. We need:

new F-Zero
GTA V port
Metal Gear Solid V port
Battlefield Heroes
Battlefield 1942
Battlefield 2
Grim Dawn port
Super Mario Sunshine 2
Super Mario Galaxy Collection
Super Mario World Remastered
New 2D Metroid (Moon Studios)
Capcom Collection 2
HALO Master Chief Collection

iconmaster

Banned
That's valid. What did you like about it? IIRC it got some pretty heavy criticism when it was announced/came out before it fell into the void.

Edit: Silvawuff meant Federation Force, not Samus Returns.

It has the best combat of any Metroid game, full stop. The aeion abilities add a kind of mana-management to the game that I like, especially on the harder difficulties where you have to use aeion both offensively and defensively. The Metroid variants have been better distinguished in their attack patterns and are more interesting to fight than in the original. Teleporters make it possible to fast-travel your backtracking when you want to, which surprisingly turns out to be a welcome change. Graphically it looks great with inventive interpretations on the original's areas and cool animated background detail. Good map design that respects the portable-friendly segmentation of the original while offering some Metroidish loop-arounds and upgrades that are fun to find rather than obtuse (my one criticism of Zero Mission).

I like what Geek Critique said about it:

Last edited:
It has the best combat of any Metroid game, full stop. The aeion abilities add a kind of mana-management to the game that I like, especially on the harder difficulties where you have to use aeion both offensively and defensively. The Metroid variants have been better distinguished in their attack patterns and are more interesting to fight than in the original. Teleporters make it possible to fast-travel your backtracking when you want to, which surprisingly turns out to be a welcome change. Graphically it looks great with inventive interpretations on the original's areas and cool animated background detail. Good map design that respects the portable-friendly segmentation of the original while offering some Metroidish loop-arounds and upgrades that are fun to find rather than obtuse (my one criticism of Zero Mission).

I like what Geek Critique said about it:

Is Silvawuff Silvawuff not talking about Federation Force?

Silvawuff

Oh no! I think we're talking about different games here. My apologies because I wasn't very clear in my original comment. I meant this little guy here:

814W9H6WX6L._SX342_.jpg

Codes 208

I’ll take a direct, atleast nintendo knows how to show gameplay in their gameplay reveals.
A GTA V port would be fucking substantial. When a system can't sell any more put a GTA on it.
nintendo hasnt been having troubles selling the switch to people but rather out of anything theyve been having trouble keeping stock due to high demand and corona-based shortages

Silvawuff

D'oh! I didn't even think of that.

D'oh!

Sorry about that. I'll edit my post.

No you're totally good! I wasn't clear in my original post because I forgot about what that title specifically was -- I just remembered it got a universal panning back then. SR is indeed a great game. :)

I can see a new Fire Emblem announced some time this year.

Nintendo could also revive dormant series but of course it’s not happening.

Eevee86

Oh no! I think we're talking about different games here. My apologies because I wasn't very clear in my original comment. I meant this little guy here:

814W9H6WX6L._SX342_.jpg
Federation Force would be seen as a completely average game if it came out during a time where Metroid games weren't so scarce. It wasn't bad enough to deserve the amount of hate it got. It would have just been mostly forgotten like any other 3DS spinoff, such as Triforce Heroes.
Though spinoff might be a bad choice of words, as it does seem to be a setup for a proper Metroid game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom