• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Press Conference

Hollywood said:
Remember when Nintendo was hyping 7-8 mil polygons for gc, while xbox and ps2 were hyping 100-200 mil? Obviously Nintendo uses realtime game situation number, which can make them look bad, and thats what they are doing in this case. The memory provider for the GC reported four 2.5 GHz processors in the rev. That isn't weak.

The specs came from a chinese website, Mosys just announced that it was providing Nintendo with its 1T-SRAM memory.

Devkits supposed to go out this month for Revolution, hopefully we'll get leaks that would give us some hope or just make us a little more upset.

monkeyrun said:
technically it's not announced yet .. it's official name's not even revealed yet

What are you talking about? They announced it thismorning, they showed off pictures of the hardware, there's a logo on the hardware that says "REVOLUTIoN. How is that unannounced and unnamed?

WordAssassin said:
What are you talking about? They announced it thismorning, they showed off pictures of the hardware, there's a logo on the hardware that says "REVOLUTIoN. How is that unannounced and unnamed?

Ultra 64 had a logo and all... so can't be sure just yet the hardware is not final

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
WordAssassin said:
Pro-to-type.

byproduct

The Amiga Brotherhood
Several hours late, but just wanted to add to the general rabble:

Nintendo seem to be gradually withdrawing from "games" and turning into an electronic toy company.

Nintendogs and Electroplankton are clearly where they think they should head. Nintendogs' success will only encourage that.

Meanwhile Rev is just a tool for accessing the Nintendo back-catalogue with token hardware upgrades by the sounds of it and a gimmicky controller? And the new GameBoy is just another GBA, only smaller?

Looks like a company running itself down in the videogames area with exit strategies to get into electronic toys and animation (which they would use to hype up their toys, e.g. an animated Nintendogs series) to me.

byproduct said:

Nintendo seem to be gradually withdrawing from "games" and turning into an electronic toy company.

Nintendogs and Electroplankton are clearly where they think they should head. Nintendogs' success will only encourage that.

Meanwhile Rev is just a tool for accessing the Nintendo back-catalogue with token hardware upgrades by the sounds of it and a gimmicky controller? And the new GameBoy is just another GBA, only smaller?

Looks like a company running itself down in the videogames area with exit strategies to get into electronic toys and animation (which they would use to hype up their toys, e.g. an animated Nintendogs series) to me.

so far from the truth its not even funny... but hey thanks for sharing :)

siege

Banned
The conference was a letdown in that they didn't show any Revolution footage, but I'm still excited for it. Hopefully they will reveal more about it as the months go by instead of waiting until next E3 to spring it all at once.

byproduct

The Amiga Brotherhood
Smiles and Cries said:
so far from the truth its not even funny... but hey thanks for sharing :)

What's not true? That they focused heavily on Nintendogs and Electroplankton? That those titles are more like electronic toys than games? That GBA Micro is just GBA AGAIN? That they said Rev is 2-3 times as powerful as Gamecube? That 2-3 times the power is a token upgrade from one generation to the next? That they bought into the animation business? That Nintendo seem to be running their franchises into the ground after announcing all those mario spin-offs and Mario Paty 7?

I don;t understand what's so far from the truth about what I said?

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
byproduct said:

Nintendo said they wanted to expand the market with the DS to appeal to non gamers. and Nintendogs and Electroplankton, well, they're pieces of software made to do that.

What you say about the revolution being just a tool to access old games is complete bull. Xbox 360 has the ability to dl Xbox games. I GUESS THAT'S A TOOL JUST TO RESELL OLD GAMES TOO!

You call the controller gimmicky, yet you don't even know what it is yet. And to that statement, I say this: The difference between innovation and gimmick is measured by success. If revolution succeeds, it will be called innovative. If it fails, it will be a gimmick.

How does making a smaller GBA have any relevance to Nintendo's status as a company?

I could say the same thing about Sony and the PSP, that they're using their movie division to hype up the PSP to people.

You say Nintendo is a "toy company."

Guess what? Games ARE toys. the Xbox is a toy, the Playstation is a toy, the NES is a toy, the ngage is a shitty toy.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
byproduct said:
What's not true?

RANTING

gimmicky controller.

byproduct said:
What's not true? That they focused heavily on Nintendogs and Electroplankton? That those titles are more like electronic toys than games? That GBA Micro is just GBA AGAIN? That they said Rev is 2-3 times as powerful as Gamecube? That 2-3 times the power is a token upgrade from one generation to the next? That they bought into the animation business? That Nintendo seem to be running their franchises into the ground after announcing all those mario spin-offs and Mario Paty 7?

You got all that from the above? :)
Nintendo FOOLED YOU!

Reggie did not spend all that time yapping about the company's direction for nothing, watch the conference again if you have to.

Nintendogs / Electroplankton are just part of something else they want tap into

the whole "We are an AND company" speech flew over your head.

Don't fool yourself there is a lot more to the Rev, we know nothing.

byproduct

The Amiga Brotherhood
OK, don't get your panties in a bunch.

GaimeGuy said:
Nintendo said they wanted to expand the market with the DS to appeal to non gamers. and Nintendogs and Electroplankton, well, they're pieces of software made to do that.

That could just be a spin on an actual desire to get out of goal-oriented gaming and into non-goal oriented electronic interactive "toys" that are faster and cheaper to produce and have lower risk.

GaimeGuy said:
What you say about the revolution being just a tool to access old games is complete bull. Xbox 360 has the ability to dl Xbox games. I GUESS THAT'S A TOOL JUST TO RESELL OLD GAMES TOO!

AFAIK Xbox 360 allows you to play old games you have purchased previously but that is not the main purpose of the machine. Based off what we know so far, it sounds like having access to "20 years of Nintendo content" is what Nintendo are going to sell Revolution on. There is a difference in emphasis, based on what they said at this conference.

GaimeGuy said:
You call the controller gimmicky, yet you don't even know what it is yet. And to that statement, I say this: The difference between innovation and gimmick is measured by success. If revolution succeeds, it will be called innovative. If it fails, it will be a gimmick.

Ture, I am assuming it will be something trivial and it might prove to be mind-blowing. DS's new interface was what I would call a gimmick however, despite how successful it may be. It doesn't excite me. Base don what nintendo's been doing the last few years I doubt I will be excited by what they pull out of their hat for Rev, but I could be wrong. I would love to be wrong.

GaimeGuy said:
How does making a smaller GBA have any relevance to Nintendo's status as a company?

It's a blatant milking of an old product. It's squeezing more money out of something old with minimal new investment.

GaimeGuy said:
I could say the same thing about Sony and the PSP, that they're using their movie division to hype up the PSP to people.

Sure you could. There's nothing wrong with it. It's just something that would help them sell toys, similar to how Transformers and My Little Pony cartoons help sell those lines.

GaimeGuy said:
You say Nintendo is a "toy company."

No, I said IT SEEMS they were gradually BECOMING an ELECTRONIC toy company.

GaimeGuy said:
Guess what? Games ARE toys. the Xbox is a toy, the Playstation is a toy, the NES is a toy, the ngage is a shitty toy.

No, a game is different from a toy. A game has a goal and rules. A toy is just something to fiddle with for entertainment. There is a difference.

Don;t take it to heart - I am not saying nintendo is doomed or that they suck, I just see certain trends in what they are doing and how they are acting that seem to indicate they are not going to be as relevant to the typical gamer in the future as they have been in the past.

mrkgoo

It seems the biggest news of E3 is the fact that Nintendo bombed during their conference, particularly in terms of Revolution details. Not wanting to be in the shadow of Sony, not wanting to fight the penis-size competition with MS, not wanting to have ideas stolen, not having a powerful enough machine to show -whatever the reason, there were a whole lot of angry people about 10 hours ago. And people are still talking about Nintendo more than PS3, regardless of teh fact that they showed little. Shows how much of an influence (be it good or bad) Nintendo still has in the industry.

Funny thing is isn't E3 starting just getting the ball rolling on Wednesday?

So after the dust has settled a bit, how do you think Nintendo is going? they've shown great software, revealed a bit about how their brain works, in terms of where they intend to head with the Rev, and will have loads to show of what will be available soon.

Sure, PS3 and XBox360 will be talked about for ages, but it's still all speculation, and we have ages to wait, with only more games/graphics to be unveiled. Nintendo will slowly leech us info about what they expect out of rev, bit by bit (and each bit will be justly tasty, I assure you!).

I think Nintendo are going pretty well. This is not damage control, yes they missed an opportunity to one-up their competitors, but Nintendo were never really playing that game ...well...ever, but that's not to say they've ruined their place.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
I was pissed I had to get up at 7 AM to waste my time away at the Kodak theater mall in Hollywood. Supposedly, Quentin Tarantino was next door at Mann's theater. Hence the commotion outside afterwards.

When drohne came to pick up milkman and I, he laughed at us.

Simple fact is,Nintendo was probably not ready to show a damn thing on Revolution or they back pedaled when they saw X360 and PS3 spec.

They can't come in the market with something below the 360 power wise when they will launch 6-12 months later,that's just ridiculous and I hope for them that they know it,because they will hit face first at full speed.

I like the design though.

Top Bottom