• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Q2 FY 2015 Earnings Release (0.72M Wii U HW, 1.27M 3DS HW)

Six months ended Sept 30, 2015:
Software revenue: 100.46 billion yen, of which digital revenue: 21 billion yen > 20.90% digital share

For comparison:

Six months ended Sept 30, 2014:
Software revenue: 91.21 billion yen of which digital revenue: 10.7 billion yen > 11.73% digital share.

I wish we had breakdown for DLC/digital downloads so we understand better where this growth is coming from.

It's most certainly all thanks to Earthbound Beginnings

still though having 1/5 of your revenue attributed to digital is MASSIVE, especially considering how much cheddar amiibo are bringing in

Hardware sales are what they are, and they demonstrate why both systems need to be replaced soon. I think 54 million LTD for the 3DS is decent all things considered (like the huge rise of mobile and how poorly its competition the Vita is doing). It's no DS, but there will never be a handheld that sells like it again, and there may never be another console that tops it either.

Software sales (and amiibos of course) are the bright spot, especially Splatoon and Mario Maker doing so well on a dead console.

They do but I'm not sure how sustainable it is, I guess the pokemon and zelda lines would be pretty popular as well. And as mentioned how/if they count the Animal crossing card sales.
Skylanders and Infinity have shown that games-to-life business models do exist that can last several years. It's just a question of if Nintendo's current thing is one of them, or if they're ever going to do more aggressive versions of it.
(or if the market as a whole burns out, which I'm not really worried about in the immediate future. physical toys will probably outlive dedicated game consoles, so there will still be somebody selling nfc portals and games even on whatever post-console electronic devices are like).

marmoka

Banned
Rösti;183240713 said:
I believe the Corporate Management Policy Briefing / Second Quarter Financial Results Briefing is usually at 10:00 AM JST, so here's a preliminary countdown:

t1446080400z4.png

It's further than midnight for me. Oh god...

Tomorrow morning I will take a look at this before having breakfast.

Thanks a lot for the countdown!!

Mario Maker did pretty well in it's short time for sale
Happy Home Designer being a little sales monster despite it getting a pretty lukewarm reception here. Never underestimate Animal crossing.
And above all. Glad to see Splatoon doing so well for a new IP. Who would of expected it to reach 2.42 million and moving towards 3 million before it launched?

Wish the hardware sales were better though.

Bioshocker

It's from last month, but Jesus Christ, the Wii U is gonna end up its life cycle well below the GCN. That's pathetic.

This has been obvious since 2013. I guessed 15 million but it looks like the Wii U won't even reach that. This holiday will most likely be the worst so far due to lack of big blockbuster titles, and if the NX is released in 2016 the Wii U will end up selling like 13 million units.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
and if the NX is released in 2016 the Wii U will end up selling like 13 million units.

This is impossible, even if NX will release in March 2016.
So far Wii U is up YOY, and i really don't see why this will be the worst holidays season.
It will be definitive up YOY in Japan, and even in the US didn't seem that hard, last year Smash Bros was literally nothing, 0 marketing / no bundle / with 3DS version released one month ago.

I think we can see 2 million Wii U ship this holidays with those Splatoon / Mario Kart / Mario maker bundle, and why not, even XenoBlade bundle can help a bit.

But even if Wii U will ship only 1.5 million this holidays, which is absolutely the worst scenario, Wii U will be at 12.23 million Wii U shipped by end of year.
Then, i really can't see only another 770k for Wii U in 2016+2017.

In my opinion we will see 12.73 million Wii U shipped by end of 2015, then, another 2 million in 2016 for a total of 14.73 million. And after NX released Wii U should has no problem to ship another 270k. So, i think Wii U will end over 15 million.

Mory Dunz

This is impossible, even if NX will release in March 2016.
So far Wii U is up YOY, and i really don't see why this will be the worst holidays season.
It will be definitive up YOY in Japan, and even in the US didn't seem that hard, last year Smash Bros was literally nothing, 0 marketing / no bundle / with 3DS version released one month ago.

I think we can see 2 million Wii U ship this holidays with those Splatoon / Mario Kart / Mario maker bundle, and why not, even XenoBlade bundle can help a bit.

But even if Wii U will ship only 1.5 million this holidays, which is absolutely the worst scenario, Wii U will be at 12.23 million Wii U shipped by end of year.
Then, i really can't see only another 770k for Wii U in 2016+2017.

In my opinion we will see 12.73 million Wii U shipped by end of 2015, then, another 2 million in 2016 for a total of 14.73 million. And after NX released Wii U should has no problem to ship another 270k. So, i think Wii U will end over 15 million.

Do you have on hand around how much Wii U did in NPD and Japan for Holiday season 2014? (since we usually get those two numbers)

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Do you have on hand around how much Wii U did in NPD and Japan for Holiday season 2014? (since we usually get those two numbers)

NPD

Oct ~ 69,000
Nov ~ 245,000
Dec ~ 580,000
TOT < 900,000

MEDIA CREATE

[WEEK 41] 6,309
[WEEK 42] 5,293
[WEEK 43] 4,273
[WEEK 44] 4,696
[WEEK 45] 4,787
[WEEK 46] 14,002
[WEEK 47] 9,615
[WEEK 48] 12,496
[WEEK 49] 24,469
[WEEK 50] 27,334
[WEEK 51] 38,314
[WEEK 52] 43,950
TOT < 200,000

EDIT: The japan numbers are low, we will almost for sure see better numbers. USA numbers are a bit more hard, but i still think Wii U will be up YOY this holidays in the US. Thought, i don't think the total 2015 sales will be bigger than 2014 sales. ( Actually the gap is over 100k between 2014 and 2015... i don't think Wii U will close this gap)

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Thanks.

Hm, 2 million could be doable then.

I feel like Japan has to be a lot higher this year.

Also, to be fair, we still talk about shipments, not sold. :p
Even if Wii U will be down YOY, that's doesn't mean they will for sure ship less than last year.
I believe Wii U shipments will be bigger just because this time they have more bundle to sell...
they have:

- Mario Maker bundle (worldwide) [which will most likely be the bigger Wii U bundle for the holidays]
- Splatoon bundle ( Nord America; Japan )
- Splatoon + Mario Kart 8 bundle ( Europe )
- XenoBlade Chronicles X bundle ( Nord America; Europe )
- Shin megami FE bundle ( Japan )
This will be litterally nothing lol, but is something.

Last year they don't even released a Smash Bros bundle... this was pretty disappoint.

jvm

Gamasutra.
3DS shipments breakdown for 1 July 2015 - 30 September 2015:

Original 3DS: 70K
3DS XL: 70K
2DS: 120K
n3DS: 260K
n3DSXL: 750K

Total: 1270K

3DS shipments breakdown for 1 October 2014 - 30 September 2015 (and change from 1 October 2013 - 30 September 2014):

Original 3DS: 460K (-64%)
3DS XL: 2040K (-69%)
2DS: 1290K (-51%)
n3DS: 1230K (N/A)
n3DSXL: 3910K (N/A)

Total: 8930K (-14%)

Top Bottom