• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Q3 FY 22/23 Earnings Report: Hardware 8.23M, 122.55M LTD. Pokemon S/V 20.61M

Mozza

I don't get why Nintendo have to Rush to a next gen console. Why not sell it for another 4 years. Way underpowered but Nintendo gamers have never cared much about that.
They don't in reality, but as we only get the views from the core minorities, who have been suggesting the Switch was doomed at launch, and needed a Pro version to remain relevant for years now, but all this time Nintendo just kept shifting hardware and games, as the mass market could not care less about any of this.

Mozza

Calendar year sales for Nintendo Switch games that have sold over 25 million units

efgJVq6.png

RMB2x2q.png

rdvcnDS.png

40zmGkX.png

W1hAIyq.png

ZhDHsSZ.png
Can't remember any console having 6 games selling over 25 million copies.

Last edited:

Woopah

I don't get why Nintendo have to Rush to a next gen console. Why not sell it for another 4 years. Way underpowered but Nintendo gamers have never cared much about that.
Hardware sales are in decline and soon software sales will be too. This will keep being the case until a successor or significant revision come out, so Nintendo will not want 4 years of that.

Bragr

Banned
They did that mistake with the Wii.

It's a really bad idea to have a machine that feels old and outdated out on the market, even if it sells, with the Wii, while it was selling well, people got so fucking sick and tired of motion controls and the lack of games that it killed Nintendo's momentum and they could barely get anyone to even look at the Wii-U.

Playstation is great at this, the moment their machines start to dip in sales, they push out the new one to carry momentum, that's what Nintendo gotta do with the Switch.

They can't get the audience sour and make them associate Nintendo with old outdated hardware like they are starting to do now. It's time to move on.

Gambit2483

They did that mistake with the Wii.

It's a really bad idea to have a machine that feels old and outdated out on the market, even if it sells, with the Wii, while it was selling well, people got so fucking sick and tired of motion controls and the lack of games that it killed Nintendo's momentum and they could barely get anyone to even look at the Wii-U.

Playstation is great at this, the moment their machines start to dip in sales, they push out the new one to carry momentum, that's what Nintendo gotta do with the Switch.

They can't get the audience sour and make them associate Nintendo with old outdated hardware like they are starting to do now. It's time to move on.

People are already tired of Switch. Hell if it wasn't for Zelda, discourse among the first year owners would be a LOT worse. I'm guessing by September/October the Zelda honeymoon phase will be over and gamers will be entirely ready for what's next or else a significant amount mindshare and momentum will be lost by years end.

Last edited:

Andyliini

So we are back at "Switch sales will fall off a cliff" discussions again? Let's see if they are right this time, we've had this song and dance many times since Switch was released (once every 6 months or so) and so far it has not happened.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Regional Hardware

ON0wx54.png

For Year over year hardware everywhere was down but Europe and Other tanked the worst. For software Japan had it's best quarter ever, Europe was slightly down and Other was flat. The drop in software was almost entirely down to the America's declining by 9 million from a year ago.
Japan alone being so close to ALL of Europe combined is insane.

Sgt.Asher

So we are back at "Switch sales will fall off a cliff" discussions again? Let's see if they are right this time, we've had this song and dance many times since Switch was released (once every 6 months or so) and so far it has not happened.
The pachter strategy, keep repeating it and eventually it will be true.

Mozza

Top 100 Nintendo Published games as of 31st December, 2022.

Pokemon S/V and Kirby ATFL enter the top 100 knocking out Super Smash Bros for Wii U (5.38m) and the Gameboy version of Dr Mario (5.34m).

lwM1sUr.png
And yet some still insist Nintendo are doomed without third party support.

Mozza

I think they hope sales will fall off a cliff, it really does not sit well with some, that a modestly powered console is so popular, even more so when it costs around $300.

Mozza

People are already tired of Switch. Hell if it wasn't for Zelda, discourse among the first year owners would be a LOT worse. I'm guessing by September/October the Zelda honeymoon phase will be over and gamers will be entirely ready for what's next or else a significant amount mindshare and momentum will be lost by years end.
Which people are tired of it, you, some of the core fans perhaps. We have to think a little outside the box with the Switch, as it's appealing to a different demographic than the usual core gamers.

Gambit2483

Which people are tired of it, you, some of the core fans perhaps. We have to think a little outside the box with the Switch, as it's appealing to a different demographic than the usual core gamers.
The millions of people that have had one since 2018. I'm honestly not sure if it's this new generation of gamers or the late adopters or both that act as if 6 years on the market is 'not long enough' or 'too soon' for new hardware but it needs to stop.

Nintendo is going to end up driving the Switch into irrelevance like they did with the Wii if they try to drag outdated technology out for too long. Sales in Japan and EU have been steadily declining and 3rd parties are going to run out of old irrelevant ports to bring to the system.

Last edited:

daclynk

The millions of people that have had one since 2018. I'm honestly not sure if it's this new generation of gamers or the late adopters or both that act as if 6 years on the market is 'not long enough' or 'too soon' for new hardware but it needs to stop.

Nintendo is going to end up driving the Switch into irrelevance like they did with the Wii if they try to drag outdated technology out for too long. Sales in Japan and EU have been steadily declining and 3rd parties are going to run out of old irrelevant ports to bring to the system.
The Switch is still selling games. look at report ever week on those charts. Wii never did that in its late life.

There are three first party games to be released during this current quarter that should sell one million by March 31st. Two of them are remasters which impacts their sales potential but they should still sell pretty well, this is what i think they can sell in their opening quarter although i may be way off.

Fire Emblem Engage - 1.9 million
Metroid Prime remastered - 1.8 million
Kirby's return to Dreamland deluxe - 1.5 million

Tams

Gold Member

Yeah, while Nintendo do need to get a new console out soonish (which I'm sure they are well into working on), any commentary here about it is at the very best taken with a grain of salt.

Just look at the OT thread for the Switch. Almost the entire first page, if not many pages more of posters should have eaten crow by now.

Mozza

Don't agree with you, most will not even care outside the core fans.

Switch isn't selling 33M more to beat the DS. It's done.

It had a good run though. 2nd best selling handheld, 3rd overall gaming device.

The new Pokemon will end being the peak of the franchise and likely the best selling game in the series never to be topped.

Gambit2483

Don't agree with you, most will not even care outside the core fans.
Where have you been? Litterally EVERY other Switch video/article/thread topic is about Switch 2.

People DO care because most people DON'T want to continue playing on old outdated hardware 7 years after they bought it. In the Technology market it's extremely rare to see people continuing to use a technological device for more than 5 years before demanding a new model of sorts. From TVs to Phones to consoles most of these devices see new, better models at least 4 years after launch. Heck most TVs and Phones are even sooner with yearly released new models.

People do care.

Mozza

Where have you been? Litterally EVERY other Switch video/article/thread topic is about Switch 2.

People DO care because most people DON'T want to continue playing on old outdated hardware 7 years after they bought it. In the Technology market it's extremely rare to see people continuing to use a technological device for more than 5 years before demanding a new model of sorts. From TVs to Phones to consoles most of these devices see new, better models at least 4 years after launch. Heck most TVs and Phones are even sooner with yearly released new models.

People do care.
I don't think a month has passed since the Switch has launched, when there has not been videos of a Switch Pro, in fact it would be more remarkable if a month passed without one. Still all rumors until Nintendo releases some actual information. You want it to be true, but that's a lot different from suggesting a lot of Switch owners also want this.

Some people care, as to how many is a mystery, with no concrete evidence.

Last edited:

MrA

Banned
Switch isn't selling 33M more to beat the DS. It's done.

It had a good run though. 2nd best selling handheld, 3rd overall gaming device.

The new Pokemon will end being the peak of the franchise and likely the best selling game in the series never to be topped.
It still can, if this year is another 30% decline were looking at about 14 million switches sold, leaving leaving the switch at 136 million, if it tails like the ps4 and only gets another 5% post successor it only hits about 142million,(though this would be weird as sony dropped the still healthy ps4 for extenuating circumstances) if it tails like most Nintendo consoles and does another 15% were lookin at just over 20 million more so 156 million
If it tails like nintendos failures post successor and that it no more sales (I can't see this as that would mean stopping production this year)

Obvious a worse decline this years hurts the chances and a gentler decline improves it,
I don't think its an easy road but if Nintendo plays all cards right I think they can beat the ds, beating the ps2 would require making every perfect move from here out.
Now there are some things that could totally change the game, they could totally drop it, they could have some left field variants
Just saying it can't ignored past trends,

Marvel14

Banned
I don't even see 12 million for this year just going with the trend and expecting a similar decrease % going off Nintendos dropped forecast numbers for the recent quarter,
Current annual forecast is 18 million from 19 million a drop of 5.5%. Sales would have to drop 33% from 18 million to hit 12 million. What trend are you on about?

Marvel14

Banned
It still can, if this year is another 30% decline were looking at about 14 million switches sold, leaving leaving the switch at 136 million, if it tails like the ps4 and only gets another 5% post successor it only hits about 142million,(though this would be weird as sony dropped the still healthy ps4 for extenuating circumstances) if it tails like most Nintendo consoles and does another 15% were lookin at just over 20 million more so 156 million
If it tails like nintendos failures post successor and that it no more sales (I can't see this as that would mean stopping production this year)

Obvious a worse decline this years hurts the chances and a gentler decline improves it,
I don't think its an easy road but if Nintendo plays all cards right I think they can beat the ds, beating the ps2 would require making every perfect move from here out.
Now there are some things that could totally change the game, they could totally drop it, they could have some left field variants
Just saying it can't ignored past trends,
You're not even including a price drop and game pack in combo for the OLed model. Plus a price drop for the lite. That , after new cconsole s announced plus TOTK should ensure it has legs to 150m+.

Last edited:
The FYQ4 report is out on Tuesday morning, I'm thinking 3.05 million for hardware and 42 million for software and a forecast of 14 million hardware and 150 million software for the current fiscal year. It will also be close if Metroid Prime Remastered and Fire Emblem: Engage can hit 2 million, i think they will both just fall short.

Deerock71

You're not even including a price drop and game pack in combo for the OLed model. Plus a price drop for the lite. That , after new cconsole s announced plus TOTK should ensure it has legs to 150m+.
Nintendo might pull the rug out under the competition's feet for the holidays with a sustained price cut.

Unknown?

That depends on when the Switch 2 is coming out, as a lot of this whole Nintendo need to bring out a successor soon mantra, is from the core minorities, and not what Nintendo need to do at all, more like what niche core gamers would like them to do..... two very different things.
Yes but they don't want to wait till Switch hype fizzles out.

Mozza

Yes but they don't want to wait till Switch hype fizzles out.
I think they will be looking at the situation very carefully, as they do not want a Wii to Wii U situation, although this is a very different scenario to the Switch.

Nintendo will be looking at software sales, as long as the Switch games continue to perform well, they will know the market is still there, but I feel early 2023 is about right for the new Switch reveal, unless of course they go early and announce later this year, would be surprised as they will not want to risk losing vital 2023 holiday sales.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Xenoblade Chronicles 3 had those usual JRPG legs and only moved an extra 90k this holiday quarter which is very poor and if it wants to be more than a niche series then Monolith Soft have to make the battle system more mainstream. On the brightside Kirby:ATFL and Splatoon 3 added a decent amount to their total Sales this quarter.

Fuck that! Xenoblade 3 is amazing and as someone that is not happy with the look of final fantasy xvi, I'm happy someone is making a real ass amazing RPG.

the combat system is amazing, deep and the gameplay is all around awesome.

As long as its doing its job for Nintendo then that's all good.

Xenoblade 3 is one of my favourite games in the last few years...I suggest anyone who wants a real assed awesome rpg to buy it.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Nintendo will do what the did with the 3DS, they’ll probably continue selling one model of the Switch (the Lite IMO) for 2 years after their successor launches. Maybe @ £149 instead of £199.

Comfortably hits between 140m and 150m sales.

Woopah

The FYQ4 report is out on Tuesday morning, I'm thinking 3.05 million for hardware and 42 million for software and a forecast of 14 million hardware and 150 million software for the current fiscal year. It will also be close if Metroid Prime Remastered and Fire Emblem: Engage can hit 2 million, i think they will both just fall short.
My predictions are:

Switch hardware - 3.08M
Switch software - 44.62M
Fire Emblem Engage - 1.49M
Metroid Prime - 2.15M
Kirby remastered - 1.98M
Bayonetta Origins - less than 1 million
It may fizzle out but people are going to be keeping them for a while.
I think they will be looking at the situation very carefully, as they do not want a Wii to Wii U situation, although this is a very different scenario to the Switch.

Nintendo will be looking at software sales, as long as the Switch games continue to perform well, they will know the market is still there, but I feel early 2023 is about right for the new Switch reveal, unless of course they go early and announce later this year, would be surprised as they will not want to risk losing vital 2023 holiday sales.
Switch software sales have started declining now so the successor is not too far away. 2024 seems like the right year.

Chastten

Banned
My gut feeling still says we'll get a Switch successor in March 2024, exactly 7 years after the Switch.

Right now Switch is still selling decently enough, but PlayStation is firing on all cylinders and has all the momentum. Nintendo can't afford to wait until the Switch sales have completely halted, as that would leave the PS5 with 0 competition, as Xbox is already out of the picture. My guess is a price reduction of all Switch models by September/October 2023, followed by a January 2024 reveal/March 2024 release of the Switch 2. Don't have any information to back this up other than the fact that Nintendo has no more games announced after Pikmin 4, but yeah. Handling this situation in any other way would be a death sentence IMO. It would mean they haven't learned from the Wii U and I find that very hard to believe.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
My gut feeling still says we'll get a Switch successor in March 2024, exactly 7 years after the Switch.

Right now Switch is still selling decently enough, but PlayStation is firing on all cylinders and has all the momentum. Nintendo can't afford to wait until the Switch sales have completely halted, as that would leave the PS5 with 0 competition, as Xbox is already out of the picture. My guess is a price reduction of all Switch models by September/October 2023, followed by a January 2024 reveal/March 2024 release of the Switch 2. Don't have any information to back this up other than the fact that Nintendo has no more games announced after Pikmin 4, but yeah. Handling this situation in any other way would be a death sentence IMO. It would mean they haven't learned from the Wii U and I find that very hard to believe.

They'll ride the discount for a year and lanch in 2025.

Source: my behind.

reksveks

Nintendo's operating income is at a different level.

Yoy growth in usd
NncFL35.png

Operating income
I2Ymkpa.png

% of revenue in usd
L38da9q.png

Obviously these consoles are in very different stages.

Last edited:
Top Bottom