• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo quarterly sales update

jigglet

Banned
Launch aligned the NSW is tracking ahead of the PS4 by 10.57m and Wii by 5.28m, however it can't keep pace with the Juggernaut NDS and has fallen 14.88m units behind. NSW still has a shot of beating life time NDS numbers if it has a stronger tail which is possible.

Oi80w2U.png

GAzHXLU.png

If they aren’t stubborn like Iwata was with refusing to release Wii HD they can. They need a Switch Pro. Haters will say it’s just graphics who cares. I don’t care. But plenty do.

Mozza

Software is almost keeping pace with the 2020 spike but hardware is 3.03 million down in this quarter yoy which is far more than i was expecting.

SF8ok41.png

BFQltuB.png

Zh2vuMF.png
People seem to be suggesting just because Nintendo cant match the FY 20-21 success during the height of the pandemic, that Switch sales will somehow fall of a cliff, when if you look at the chart Nintendo are still outperforming FY-19-20 in the current year by quite a margin, and still on track for big numbers.

True, the sales are still favourable compared to every other year apart from 20-21 and some of the decline could be out of their hands with shortages. If we break it down by 1st half of the FY so far for FY 21-22 Switch has shipped 8.28m units versus 4.89m in 17-18, 5.07m in 18-19, 6.93m in 19-20 and 12.53m in 20-21. Despite the dissapointing hardware numbers this quarter this is still the second best year so far for Switch and it is on pace for 24m this FY.

Mozza

Nothing related to the PS2? Poster speaking about Switch becoming best selling console of all time dethroning the ps2, because it is the best selling console of all time.

Think next time before you post.
The PS2 was not even mentioned, of course if the Switch was to become the best selling console then it would surpass the PS2, but still your jump to defend it's honor was very swift, then your next post about the PS2 being dethroned pretty much confirmed it. ;)

Mozza

I don't think it did, considering it's alreadt the best selling Mario Golf game ever made.
With the high software ratio on the Switch every franchise has the potential to be the best selling every, and I am convinced they are delaying Metroid Prime 4 to give it the best chance of selling great numbers on the Switch. ;)

Mozza

Those software sales are nuts. Didn't expect AC:NH to come close to MK8
Nothing is catching Mario kart at this point, however the success of Animal crossing compared the the series best seller New Leaf which sols around 13 million copies, can't be underestimated.

Nintendo either sells ridiculously well or completely bombs from one generation to the next.

I can't see them wanting to move to a new generation anytime soon.

Mozza

If they aren’t stubborn like Iwata was with refusing to release Wii HD they can. They need a Switch Pro. Haters will say it’s just graphics who cares. I don’t care. But plenty do.
Define plenty of people, at the moment I can only see Nintendo doing more harm than good with a Switch pro, the masses simply do not care about any of this, and it can only cause confusion imho.

Last edited:

leo-j

Switch sales are down by a lot vs last quarter, we shall see how switch OLED does to rekindle sales. But this could mean it peaked last year.

Javthusiast

Banned
The PS2 was not even mentioned, of course if the Switch was to become the best selling console then it would surpass the PS2, but still your jump to defend it's honor was very swift, then your next post about the PS2 being dethroned pretty much confirmed it. ;)

I simply stated a fucking fact. Not jumping to defend the ps2. Stop trying to start some pathetic console war argument.

Mozza

I simply stated a fucking fact. Not jumping to defend the ps2. Stop trying to start some pathetic console war argument.
You stated an opinion not fact, we do not know what the Switch will end up on sales wise, and any attempt to suggest otherwise is purely subjective, my comment was in jest as you do seem to be defending the PS2, which I am sure it does not require.

Last edited:

Javthusiast

Banned
You stated an opinion not fact, we do not know what the Switch will end up on sales wise, and any attempt to suggest otherwise is purely subjective, my comment was in jest as you do seem to be defending the PS2, which I am sure it does not require.
dj khaled smile GIF by NBA

Mozza

Switch sales are down by a lot vs last quarter, we shall see how switch OLED does to rekindle sales. But this could mean it peaked last year.
The pandemic boosted a lot of companies sales, in particular consoles and media, but the Switch is still selling very well for a console that's four years old, and still selling for pretty much full price.

Nothing is catching Mario kart at this point, however the success of Animal crossing compared the the series best seller New Leaf which sols around 13 million copies, can't be underestimated.
Yeah Switch is just breaking franchise records it is totally annihilating them. I think Zelda will have the biggest percentage growth increase though, previous best selling Zelda (not adding remakes/remasters) was TP with 8.8m versus 24.1m for BOTW and another 1.6m for the Wii u version which is almost a 200% increase.

Mozza

Yeah Switch is just breaking franchise records it is totally annihilating them. I think Zelda will have the biggest percentage growth increase though, previous best selling Zelda (not adding remakes/remasters) was TP with 8.8m versus 24.1m for BOTW and another 1.6m for the Wii u version which is almost a 200% increase.
The success of Mario party must have shocked Nintendo, no wonder they rushed the new game out, just in time for the busy holiday period.

Out of 680 millions software units sold, 230+ millions of them are from Nintendo IPs alone.....CRAZY!!!
Isn't it more like 300+ million? i thought first party titles accounted for just below 50% of software sold and about 135 million of them games sold are from the Super Mario brand. Mario is going to break 200 million games on Switch eventually.

Isn't it more like 300+ million? i thought first party titles accounted for just below 50% of software sold and about 135 million of them games sold are from the Super Mario brand. Mario is going to break 200 million games on Switch eventually.

yeah I only counted the ones listed in the OP, officially it's 300+ millions

Versus the number of consoles it is a small attach rate. Not saying you are wrong though.
I think they mean first Party software sales are insane the likes of which have never been seen before. Last quarter had (48.60/3.83) a 12.69 attache rate. The overall attache rate is 7.33 and rapidly increasing every quarter, in a couple of years it could have a software attache rate of around 9.

Animal Crossing numbers are amazing, I knew the series was popular but I had no idea.
Series isnt popular. This entry is. “non-gamers” were heavily promoting during the height of the pandemic frenzy.

I doubt the series has the legs of Mario or Pokemon. Next entry wont see half the success. maybe a forth.
I believe the switch will sell at least 140kk if they release the switch 2 in the end of 2024.

Nintendo still didn't play with the price cut card.
Then Switch 2 wouldnt be part of Switch (1) sales.

The success of Mario party must have shocked Nintendo, no wonder they rushed the new game out, just in time for the busy holiday period.
Agree SMP has performed astonishingly well despite being derided by the fanbase however the growth from 9.31m previous best to 16.48m while huge is not as large as AC or Zelda. I wonder how well Superstars can perform, if there is any justice in the world it should do better because it is a far superior game but of course it has less time to sell then SMP but has a bigger install base off the bat. I just hope people who were burned by SMP give superstars a chance.

Phew! Good thing you jumped in front of PS2 to protect it. God knows what would have happened had you not intervened about a post that had nothing related to PS2.
For the statement he was quoting to be true, Switch would have to pass PS2 in sales. How on earth isnt it related to PS2? Or do you not see this is a thread about sales?

Buggy Loop

For the statement he was quoting to be true, Switch would have to pass PS2 in sales. How on earth isnt it related to PS2? Or do you not see this is a thread about sales?

Actually thought the guy had said most sold nintendo hardware, not general. So yea, ok, i fucked up. I've been sick for 4 days with maybe 4 hours of sleep, I can't read right i guess, you're right.

Cutty Flam

Banned
The new Zelda game might be a system seller when it comes out, that’s why it makes sense to release it next year during the holidays

I can’t wait to see the sales numbers for Mario Party Superstars and Metroid Dread. Seeing Skyward Sword at 3.6 Million is a great sign, hopefully they do port the TP and WW HD games over next. That way we can all play every 3D Zelda game that was released on a home console on the Switch

reksveks

Any one able to point met to a nice set of tables of hardware and software revenue per quarter? Preferably going back a couple of years

Last edited:

carlosrox

Banned
That way we can all play every 3D Zelda game that was released on a home console on the Switch

Unfortunately OOT doesn't really count for me unless the original Fire Temple music gets restored. The censored version is pure shit. Honestly spoils the game for me.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

I can't imagine the pressure on the team given the task of creating MK9.

The sales and longevity of that game are staggering.
Honestly they have more than enough time to make a great, polished game.

the Switch doesn’t need another Mario Kart than 8 Deluxe, and they only have one platform to focus when next gen Switch comes out they will show the next big leap in the series and it will sell millions, then make DLC.

Nintendo did really good job from Wii to 8/Deluxe, they can do it again.

Cutty Flam

Banned
If they continue to sell the Switch until 2025 without making a "Switch 2" then it has a very good shot at beating the PS2, and frankly, that's not an unimaginable scenario. BOTW2 and Prime 4 are already coming to Switch, they can do an Odyssey 2 which is just more maps, Pokémon runs on toasters, etc.
If Nintendo brings the GB/GBC/GBA/DS libraries to Switch, WW HD, TP HD, Metroid Prime Trilogy, Paper Mario: Color Splash :) and plans to release a sequel to Super Mario Odyssey then it might be able to grow to become the greatest system of all time. But without those elements in play, idk if it can sell 158 Million like the PS2

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
Unfortunately OOT doesn't really count for me unless the original Fire Temple music gets restored. The censored version is pure shit. Honestly spoils the game for me.
I still have the golden cartridge for N64. The chants add so much to that level; its atmosphere. Favorite Temple of mine as well

carlosrox

Banned
I still have the golden cartridge for N64. The chants add so much to that level; its atmosphere. Favorite Temple of mine as well

Forest Temple is pretty much equally as great and it's wonderful that didn't have to get censored.

The Fire Temple however was something I'll never forget. The atmosphere there will always be just about the best atmosphere in all of gaming.

Censoring that cuz of wuss political correctness is so lame. There is nothing offensive about sampling that stuff. If people are appreciating the art behind it how the fuck is it offensive? It's not like they're poking fun at it. That shit's so stupid.

OOT is an amazing game even with that butchered version of the track however as a purist I cannot look past it.

I feel the same way about the REmake remasters. They sped up at least a couple of tracks and it sounds terrible and stupid. Not buying that game as much as I want to with something so distractingly bad as that in it. Patch it and then we can talk. I'm not paying for butchered versions of games.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
If Nintendo brings the GB/GBC/GBA/DS libraries to Switch, WW HD, TP HD, Metroid Prime Trilogy, Paper Mario: Color Splash :) and plans to release a sequel to Super Mario Odyssey then it might be able to grow to become the greatest system of all time. But without those elements in play, idk if it can sell 158 Million like the PS2

As much as you and I might like the idea of playing old games on the Switch, old games aren't what will propel the Switch to those figures. Old games don't sell hardware - the newest iterations of old franchises do. This is pretty self evident given how well the Switch is selling with next to no BC.

Last edited:
If it does pass the PS2 it will be be seen as a handheld on here. ;)
It is a handheld. Always has been. It has a battery.

Google Nest Home - Not handheld.
Fire Tablet - Handheld.
Sonos Beam - not handheld.
Sonos Roam -handheld.
Switch - handheld.
Switch Lite - handheld.
macbook pro - handheld.
iPad - handheld.
AppleTv - not handheld.

Just because something can be connected to a TV, doesnt suddenly make it not a handheld.

RCU005

I can't imagine the pressure on the team given the task of creating MK9.

The sales and longevity of that game are staggering.
Extremely easy: They introduced characters from other franchises, so the only logical step is to continue that trend and even create items specifically from those franchises, as well as more tracks.

Example of items:
Splattoon: you could get a ball of ink where you go underneath it to avoid projectiles and/or bananas for a few seconds just like in the game.
Metroid: You could get bombs to splatter in the track and explode continuously, like how you setup bombs in morph ball.
Zelda: A Sword where you throw blade rays like when you have full hearts with the master sword

Nintendo has many characters that could join Mario Kart (just look at Super Smash Bros.) and they could also go with third party characters and compete with Smash in collaborative support. After all, Mario Kart already had PAC Man and other characters as well before.

Going even further, they could introduce different vehicles like Diiddy Kong Racing. Admittedly, they might be hesitant since it's mario KART, but it could be great to have planes, submarines, JetSki, etc. They could also introduce a gimmick for different types of characters (specially iif they put from other franchises), like super speed tracks for F-Zero, something like that.

Last edited:

Soltype

Any sign of a price drop this year. I honestly expected a stronger skew by now but all we got was the OLED

Top Bottom