• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo quarterly sales update

Mozza

It is a handheld. Always has been. It has a battery.

Google Nest Home - Not handheld.
Fire Tablet - Handheld.
Sonos Beam - not handheld.
Sonos Roam -handheld.
Switch - handheld.
Switch Lite - handheld.
macbook pro - handheld.
iPad - handheld.
AppleTv - not handheld.

Just because something can be connected to a TV, doesnt suddenly make it not a handheld.
It's a fusion of both devices, not either a dedicated console or home one, so it fits into either camp.

Dr Bass

Fire Tablet - Handheld.
Sonos Roam -handheld.
Switch - handheld.
Switch Lite - handheld.
macbook pro - handheld.
iPad - handheld.
AppleTv - not handheld.

Just because something can be connected to a TV, doesnt suddenly make it not a handheld.
I can't believe people still argue this.

It. Is. Both.

It's called ... THE SWITCH.

It's NINTENDO'S CONSOLE. For crying out loud.

This is like if Nintendo named it the "Either/Or" and we had a group of people whining at the top of their lungs, "No! It's an Either! Not an Or!"

Last edited:

Interfectum

Fire Tablet - Handheld.
Sonos Roam -handheld.
Switch - handheld.
Switch Lite - handheld.
macbook pro - handheld.
iPad - handheld.
AppleTv - not handheld.

Stop It Michael Jordan GIF

It’s both.

Last edited:

Ozzie666

They even have Frostbite working on Switch. It's truly baffling there isn't one Madden game on this system.

Much as I despise EA at times, I wouldn't mind an NHL or Madden on there, the most recent version possible. Then they could charge me a yearly roster upgrade pack. Even it were to become a legacy edition.

The PS2 was not even mentioned, of course if the Switch was to become the best selling console then it would surpass the PS2, but still your jump to defend it's honor was very swift, then your next post about the PS2 being dethroned pretty much confirmed it. ;)
He said the Switch would surpass the PS2. Saying the "Switch will become the best selling console ever" and "Switch will surpass the PS2" is the exact same thing.

The Switch is at 93 million 5 years in. 155 million is still a long ways off and I don't see the Switch reaching that lofty number unless Nintendo keeps this generation going for a total of 10+ years.

That's obviously not an insult to Switch. It'll likely reach around 120 million and be right there or even past the PS4 when all is said and done. Heaven knows I've done my part with the 7 Switch consoles in our home.

Last edited:
no chance in hell the switch reaches 155m sold. thats another 62m units and the system is 5 years old and already peaked out. sales will only decline going forward. it wont have the legs to make it. also nintendo will announce their next system and sales will fall off a cliff. most likely 2023. switch will end at a very impressive 135m i think.

Last edited:

Marty-McFly

Banned
no chance in hell the switch reaches 155m sold. thats another 62m units and the system is 5 years old and already peaked out. sales will only decline going forward. it wont have the legs to make it. also nintendo will announce their next system and sales will fall off a cliff. most likely 2023. switch will end at a very impressive 135m i think.
Switch is going to sell 24 million this year, in it's fifth year, which is higher than any Sony portable or home console ever in a single year.

and with no price drop yet on top of that :messenger_neutral:

Last edited:
He said the Switch would surpass the PS2. Saying the "Switch will become the best selling console ever" and "Switch will surpass the PS2" is the exact same thing.

The Switch is at 93 million 5 years in. 155 million is still a long ways off and I don't see the Switch reaching that lofty number unless Nintendo keeps this generation going for a total of 10+ years.

That's obviously not an insult to Switch. It'll likely reach around 120 million and be right there or even past the PS4 when all is said and done. Heaven knows I've done my part with the 7 Switch consoles in our home.
Using Nintendo's own forecast for the next 6 months, 92.87M + 15.72M.

108.59 million units in 5 years and 28 days on the market for Switch and need only 46.41 millions left to overtake PS2.

it's not really impossible for Switch to surpass PS2.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Using Nintendo's own forecast for the next 6 months, 92.87M + 15.72M.

108.59 million units in 5 years and 28 days on the market for Switch and need only 46.41 millions left to overtake PS2.

it's not really impossible for Switch to surpass PS2.
math is hard :(

for real though it all depends on how the Switch exits the market and how much it will sell during the following fiscal years.
Will it be 20m-10m-5m-3m?
Will it be 15m-7m-3m-1m?

Will they launch the Switch 2 next year, in 2023 or later?
Will the OG Switch be supported once the Switch 2 is out or will they drop it like its hot?

Anything below 130m would be a cope. Reaching PS2 and NDS numbers could be possible, but won't be easy.

That would be another 4-5 years on the market, and they're selling 25 million a year, currently about to pass 100 million, no price cut. Do the math.

200 million is achievable with a pro model and future discounts.

If we just did "the math" the switch would be going well beyond 200 million

But that's not how it works

25 million every year for the next 4 - 5 years. Good lord Marty glad to have you back lmao

Last edited:

Marty-McFly

Banned
If we just did "the math" the switch would be going well beyond 200 million

But that's not how it works

25 million every year for the next 4 - 5 years. Good lord Marty glad to have you back lmao
I said close to 200 million.

I stand by that. Even 180 million would be close.

A Pro model is needed of course.

The thing is I think Nintendo needs a 4k DLSS model and then they can sail off that tech for years.

The games will be more important to reach those milestones.

Last edited:

The thing is I think Nintendo needs a 4k model and then they can sail off that tech for years.

You can stand by whatever you want

It's just chucking numbers around baselessly.

Also my laughing gif wasn't just aimed at the 200 million. It was the Pro model too. That shit aint coming lmao

Last edited:

The thing is I think Nintendo needs a 4k DLSS model and then they can sail off that tech for years.

there wont be a 4k model though. that will be their next system.

Marty-McFly

Banned
You can stand by whatever you want

It's just chucking numbers around baselessly.
Looking at the "betting time how well will Switch sell" this place isn't known for its good betting skills. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I called the last NPD

Mozza

It's going to be a continuation of Switch. Same family.

I'm calling it in Advance.
:messenger_sunglasses:
Nintendo have a strong brand with the Switch, and have managed to sell a console to a wider demographic, and also sell them lots of traditional software, would be very surprised to see them drop the Switch branding for their next console, I would go with Switch plus.

Launch aligned the NSW is tracking ahead of the PS4 by 10.57m and Wii by 5.28m, however it can't keep pace with the Juggernaut NDS and has fallen 14.88m units behind. NSW still has a shot of beating life time NDS numbers if it has a stronger tail which is possible.

Oi80w2U.png

GAzHXLU.png

Data is beautiful!!

Switch should pass Wii and PS1 next, then PS4 and Gameboy by end of next year

Top Bottom