• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Raises Forecasts on Wii, DS; Shares Surge

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Aug. 29 (Bloomberg) --
Nintendo Co. raised its full-year profit forecast by 26 percent because of higher-than-anticipated sales of Wii and DS game players, sending shares of the company to their biggest gain in nine months.

Net income will climb 59 percent to 410 billion yen ($3.8 billion) in the year ending March 31, the Kyoto-based company said in a statement today. The guidance exceeded the 382.6 billion yen median of 23 analyst estimates compiled by Bloomberg.

Nintendo, poised to pass Sony Corp. as the world's largest maker of game players for the first time in at least 13 years, said sales of its motion-sensing Wii console will rise 42 percent this year and reversed projections that DS sales will drop. Before today, the stock had fallen 17 percent since July 30, when the company left its full-year projections unchanged.

``This is a very big, positive surprise,'' Koichi Takatsuka, a senior fund manager at United Investments Co. in Tokyo. ``It looks like Wii and DS are selling well, especially in Europe.''

Nintendo gained 8.4 percent to close at 51,800 yen on the Osaka Securities Exchange, the most since Nov. 14. The company, which gets almost 80 percent of revenue from overseas, also said the weaker yen will help earnings.

On July 31, the stock tumbled by its daily limit of 5,000 yen in Osaka trading after it left its annual projections unchanged. The 8.2 percent drop was the biggest decline in six months for a company that had raised its forecast three times in the previous 12-month period.

Wii, DS Sales

The company today said sales of the Wii,
equipped with a motion-sensing controller that can be swung like a bat, will probably climb to 26.5 million this year, spurring a 56 percent increase in sales of software for the console. The company will probably sell 30.5 million touch-screen DS players, 8.9 percent higher than its July estimate, helping raise sales of game titles 6.1 percent to 197 million.

Nintendo said it was assuming an exchange rate of 105 yen to the dollar and 160 yen to the euro for its forecasts, compared with a previous projection of 100 yen and 155 yen.

The Japanese currency, which had traded at an average of 105.7 to the dollar this year before today, may trade at 108 yen by the fourth quarter, according to the median of 34 estimates compiled by Bloomberg.

Nintendo increased its projection for operating profit, or sales minus the cost of goods sold and administrative expenses, by 23 percent to 650 billion yen. The revenue forecast was bolstered 11 percent to 2 trillion yen, it said.

bdouble

why oh why do I not have any shares?

Who else makes forecasts like this? Its borderline sickening how much of a killing Nintendo is making right now.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
The Nintendo factor.

In before;

"Use that money for better technology!"
"Use that money for more hardcore games!"
"Nintendo lol"
"Fanboys praising shares? lol"

stilgar

They can literaly buy a country, and they won't even moneyhat for a major IP ... WHAT ARE YOU DOING WITH ALL YOUR MONEY M. NINTENDO

Neo C. said:
This is so Nintendo-like: their forecasts are frequently too low.

I still think their forecast is too low. Didn't they make nearly $1 billion last quarter? And they're only forecasting $3.8 billion for the year? That's way too conservative.

marc^o^

stilgar said:
WHAT ARE YOU DOING WITH ALL YOUR MONEY M. NINTENDO
Preparing the onslaught with revolutionary MotionPlus titles for 2009 and beyond? Working on new innovative handled, peripherals?

stilgar

marc^o^ said:
Preparing the onslaught with revolutionary MotionPlus titles for 2009 and beyond? Working on new innovative handled, peripherals?

I stay tuned, but a touch of carpe diem would add something to Wii owners' self-confidence.

Old, but:

iwatagold.gif

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
Nintendo should buy all the good third parties and then for their next system, not even allow third parties to even make games for them (I kid dudes).

milanbaros

Member?
DS sales are up slightly over last year :lol :lol Europe and US must have picked up a lot of Japan's slack.

Good to see Wii shipments going up again, hopefully this means and end to any shortages very soon.

wsippel

Banned
stilgar said:
They can literaly buy a country, and they won't even moneyhat for a major IP ... WHAT ARE YOU DOING WITH ALL YOUR MONEY M. NINTENDO
Nintendo basically is a bank. They invest their money, and I wouldn't be surprised if they actually also invest in game developers, just not in an obvious way. They don't buy developers or moneyhat IPs, but maybe they lend them money to expand or finance certain projects.

speedpop

Well it was bound to happen really. It is forced to happen when your hardware is selling like it's Christmas every month.

neight

Banned
AlternativeUlster said:
Nintendo should buy all the good third parties and then for their next system, not even allow third parties to even make games for them (I kid dudes).
rofl buying up all the best third parties and then not allowing them to make games for them just for the sake of tradition. :lol

It should be common knowledge by now that the business philosophy of Nintendo is largely conservative. Their management, as influenced by Yamauchi, is constantly wary of over-committing. Nintendo believe that the video game business is extraordinary risky, and that a large amount of their assets should be kept reserved for the future. I'm sure there's also a large element of investment going on, but for the size of its operation, Nintendo likes to consolidate and safe-guard more-so than most other companies. Overall, Nintendo is a company deeply rooted in fundamental conservatism that might hurt the potential of its growth, but also ensures a deep stability and reliability that will see them remain in the business of making games for decades to come.

wsippel said:
Nintendo basically is a bank. They invest their money, and I wouldn't be surprised if they actually also invest in game developers, just not in an obvious way. They don't buy developers or moneyhat IPs, but maybe they lend them money to expand or finance certain projects.

Indeed. You also won't see them going around buying studios like crazy (there are plenty of exception, ie Monolith Soft) because they believe that by doing so in many cases, you would risk losing the talent that you sought in the first place.

Personally, I feel they could be more optimistic, both with their business philosophy and expansionary investments, however, it would be a calculated risk that could go awry in exactly the type of way that current Nintendo management fear.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Tim the Wiz said:
Nintendo believe that the video game business is extraordinary risky, and that a large amount of their assets should be kept reserved for the future.

Not saying you personally don't believe it, but I think it would more accurate to say that Nintendo KNOWS that the video game business is risky. After all, there are only two competitors that remain on the manufacturing side (besides Nintendo), and both of them are huge conglomerates, and both of them have been losing money.

It's so strange that no other company seems to be able to gauge how risky this business is. If I were to go out on a limb, I'd say it's even riskier than the movie business.

Also, it baffles me how some here think Nintendo doesn't spend their money. Sure, they're a careful bunch, and their warchest is huge, but didn't Edge-online's article on the top publishers show that, out of Nintendo's 18-19 billion dollars of revenue, "only" 2.5 billions dollars could be counted as net profit?

I'm no expert in this sort of things, so feel free to correct me, but doesn't that mean that, even if they manage their resources very well, they still spend tons of money?

Vorador

Banned
As expected, amazing numbers. Now, please invert that money in something worthwile for hardcore gamers instead of just filling Yamauchi's pockets :-/

speedpop

Call me hypocritical but I'd love some of this money to go towards full orchestral soundtracks to their "big" games. Super Mario Galaxy paved the way, let there be more please. EAD Tokyo's talent demands it.

legend166

I don't understand people that are all "buy some studios with that money!!11!!1"

The best thing about Nintendo is that they don't do that. Could you imagine in Microsoft, EA, or Activision were pulling down those kind of profits?

-MB-

AlternativeUlster said:

If they did that the developers would just walk away and start a new developer/publisher.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
milanbaros said:
I thought it said 30.5m this FY for the DS. That is up compared to 30.3m last year.

I thought they toned down their DS predictions? I probably misread.

EDIT- Ya, nevermind then. :D

Struct09

Andrex said:
Not relevant since they're predicting the DS is on a downslope.

If he had a Wii in his hands...

Huh?

Nintendo, poised to pass Sony Corp. as the world's largest maker of game players for the first time in at least 13 years, said sales of its motion-sensing Wii console will rise 42 percent this year and reversed projections that DS sales will drop.

Haunted

speedpop said:
The Nintendo factor.

In before;

"Use that money for better technology!"
"Use that money for more hardcore games!"
"Nintendo lol"
"Fanboys praising shares? lol"
LOL! you forgot in before "use that money for orchestral soundtracks!"

Hey look, I've even already found one guy!
speedpop said:
Call me hypocritical but I'd love some of this money to go towards full orchestral soundtracks to their "big" games. Super Mario Galaxy paved the way, let there be more please. EAD Tokyo's talent demands it.
:p

Flakster99

gigglingfools.jpg

The little system that could.

Brilliant .gif, best system to own, home console or handheld, this generation by a COUNTRY FUCKING MILE.

nubbe

There should be like 3 more years of solid userbase growth unless the world economy fails.
Still not to late to jump in.

sphinx

the piano man
Aaron Strife said:
Let's hope the Wii can follow in the same footsteps.

from a hardcore gamer perspective, it is too late for that.

Wii will not have the support the DS has had.

With DS, it worked flawlessly: Nintendo takes care of the casuals and the 3rd parties take care of the hardcore. Luckily, the DS got the kind of support we wanted from companies like Square Enix and almost every other publisher. That helped the DS become a fabulous system for the hardcore and casuals alike.

3rd party quality support for the hardcore on Wii is out of the question, it just is.

Western devs hate it, japanese devs fear it.

better luck and planning next gen.

TunaLover

speedpop said:

indeed, i can see koji kondo begging for more budget to his scores, he say he would loved make tp fully orchestrated.

jman2050

sphinx said:

With DS, it worked flawlessly: Nintendo takes care of the casuals and the 3rd parties take care of the hardcore. Luckily, the DS got the kind of support we wanted from companies like Square Enix and almost every other publisher. That helped the DS become a fabulous system for the hardcore and casuals alike.

3rd party quality support for the hardcore on Wii is out of the question, it just is.

facepalm.gif

The company today said sales of the Wii, equipped with a motion-sensing controller that can be swung like a bat, will probably climb to 26.5 million this year, spurring a 56 percent increase in sales of software for the console. The company will probably sell 30.5 million touch-screen DS players, 8.9 percent higher than its July estimate, helping raise sales of game titles 6.1 percent to 197 million.
What did they project previously?

marc^o^

sphinx said:
Don't you think MotionPlus will make a difference? Or the 70 million userbase by end of 2009 the wii is going to? Your statement is more a wish than anything rational.

Kunan

sphinx said:

Same thing happened with the DS. Until the Lite, there was almost nothing worth owning 3rd-party wise. Eventually the developers/publishers started singing a new tune, and the flow of games started.

Buggy Loop

sphinx said:

You must have short memory, DS was criticized for its lack of 3rd party support a good 2 years after its launch.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
marc^o^ said:
Don't you think MotionPlus will make a difference? Or the 70 million userbase by end of 2009 the wii is going to? Your statement is more a wish than anything rational.

Even without the MotionPlus, time and record-breaking hardware sales alone will ensure that 3rd parties continue to jump on the bandwagon. It's true that MP could help that happen nevertheless.

sphinx

the piano man
It's been proved time and again why Wii won't get the support, there are lots of reasons. There is that thread made by pantherlotus about why wii won't get the support, go read that.

I won't go all over again repeating what's been said time and again for over a year about why the Wii will not be a DS. I'll just repeat something:

.- Western devs hate it.
.- Japanese devs don't trust it.
.- both think only casual shit sells.

and these facts remain valid no matter how many billions the Wii sells worldwide.

at best, we will get the toned done spin-off like RE:UC as an experiment in reaching new audiences. Anyone expecting the mainline games or the big new hyped IP's like Assasins Creed or similar to suddenly come to Wii is in for a rude awakening.

milanbaros

Member?
Kunan said:
Same thing happened with the DS. Until the Lite, there was almost nothing worth owning 3rd-party wise. Eventually the developers/publishers started singing a new tune, and the flow of games started.

Yeh, I remember all the talk about DS having no games and everything was non games. The Wii is just a complete repeat so far although I imagine longer dev times and bigger budgets means it will be slower.

Top Bottom