• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Recruiting Additional Programmers for Smart Phone Devices

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'm more worried this means they aren't that far along in their smartphone endeavors.

Like they said they had what 5 games this fiscal year?

If they are just going on a hiring spree now it makes me wonder how far along the other titles beyond Miitomo are. I don't want them to just shit them out.

Calm Mind

Come on, go full in and just buy a popular Japanese mobile developer and make them a subsidiary

That would solve nothing. It is also a short term solution for a larger problem in and around the game developer community. Nintendo is right to attract younger talent this way rather than buy them and have the talent bleed away like in the past.

Apathy

That would solve nothing. It is also a short term solution for a larger problem in and around the game developer community. Nintendo is right to attract younger talent this way rather than buy them and have the talent bleed away like in the past.

If you integrate them correctly an acquired studio can flourish as a subsidiary. Just look at pretty much every Sony first party studio. Every one of those was an independent studio at one point that was bought by Sony and integrated into the fold. Sure it might not always work (look at what happens to studios that go with ea) but it's not a bad idea.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
If you integrate them correctly an acquired studio can flourish as a subsidiary. Just look at pretty much every Sony first party studio. Every one of those was an independent studio at one point that was bought by Sony and integrated into the fold. Sure it might not always work (look at what happens to studios that go with ea) but it's not a bad idea.

Nintendo has a different culture because it has traditional in-house developers in their main Kyoto and Tokyo facilities.It makes their external first-party developers seem separate often because of that distinction. Sony doesn't have that same culture. They don't have in-house developers from the 70s and 80s that carry around development ethos and mold new employees with it. They can go around and buy studios and label them sony without any regards.

Good. They can barely sustain their dedicated consoles with a decent flow of software. If they're going to ramp up mobile development, they had better hire new people for that!

MacTag

Banned
I'm more worried this means they aren't that far along in their smartphone endeavors.

Like they said they had what 5 games this fiscal year?

If they are just going on a hiring spree now it makes me wonder how far along the other titles beyond Miitomo are. I don't want them to just shit them out.
The other titles might be developed mainly outside EPD. Intelligent Systems making Fire Emblem seems logical and even Animal Crossing could be done externally depending on what exactly the game is (NdCube on amiibo Festival for example).

ItsDorf

Banned
So right now, with the NX coming in less than a year, it's more important for Nintendo to have more mobile devs than console/portable devs. Bad news for NX. Wouldn't weird me if Nintendo changes their main business to mobile in 10 years or so.

Would actually make sense if the rumors about Android OS and a portable device are true. Just because they say they are looking for Mobile Developers doesn't mean they are going to ditch the handheld (which is a mobile device technically) I just think Nintendo is attempting to increase revenue with light Nintendo IP's and gain exposure for Nintendo IP's on Mobile devices and than release full fledged titles on their own devices.

Imagine kids getting a taste of Pokemon on mom's iPhones than begging her for the NX when a full Pokemon is released. Basically the mobiles are a gateway drug to the NX device for Nintendo IMHO.

PS 1st post don't ban me yet!!!

Malakai

So right now, with the NX coming in less than a year, it's more important for Nintendo to have more mobile devs than console/portable devs. Bad news for NX. Wouldn't weird me if Nintendo changes their main business to mobile in 10 years or so.

giphy.gif

KAL2006

Banned
I would have said Nintendo should make there own smartphone but unfortunately they are shit at software OS. If Nintendo had a phone which had all the popular apps we have on smartphones. Decent camera and battery life with slide out buttons. I would but their phone in an instant.

MacTag

Banned
Pretty much every Sony first party studio also includes Psygnosis, Evolution, Zipper, 989, Incognito, etc. Successfully going about this long term is more difficult than you let on and even a company with a relatively good track record at it like Sony is littered with corpses.

Nintendo's own recent history of this goes back to the GC and early Wii era when they bought out some start ups (Retro, NdCube) and got Monolith as part of a stock deal when Bandai Namco merged. Other than that all their more recent acquistions or investments have been for mainly non-game development companies (Mobiclip/NERD, Wii no Ma/NSD, Pux). On the other hand Nintendo's also never closed or divested an internal game development studio that I'm aware of, which I believe is something no other major console publisher can claim (EA, Activision, Microsoft, Sony, Ubisoft, Take Two, Square Enix, Sega, Bandai Namco, Bethesda, etc).

Apathy

Pretty much every Sony first party studio also includes Psygnosis, Evolution, Zipper, 989, Incognito, etc. Successfully going about this long term is more difficult than you let on and even a company with a relatively good track record at it like Sony is littered with corpses.

Nintendo's own recent history of this goes back to the GC and early Wii era when they bought out some start ups (Retro, NdCube) and got Monolith as part of a stock deal when Bandai Namco merged. Other than that all their more recent acquistions or investments have been for mainly non-game development companies (Mobiclip/NERD, Wii no Ma/NSD, Pux). On the other hand Nintendo's also never closed or divested an internal game development studio that I'm aware of, which I believe is something no other major console publisher can claim (EA, Activision, Microsoft, Sony, Ubisoft, Take Two, Square Enix, Sega, Bandai Namco, Bethesda, etc).

When you don't buy any studios it makes it harder to shut down studios.

MacTag

Banned
When you don't buy any studios it makes it harder to shut down studios.
True but this might be exactly why Nintendo isn't interested in the Sony/MS buy 'em out model, they're pretty adamantly against layoffs. Even struggling divisions like NdCube have historically been restructured rather than closed.

Calm Mind

I was under the impression that Nintendo needed less niche products and more profitable mainstream success.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
How long until a silly opinion piece goes up talking about Pokemon Go's success means Nintendo is doubling down on mobile gaming?

Ahhhahahaha. Wow.

Top Bottom