• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Releases Anniversary Direct for Mario Including 3D Collection

Stafford

They couldn't make Mario 64 full screen? Also, no Galaxy 2 and seemingly no framerate improvements, sigh.

That is why I give kudos where it's due to Xbox, all those patches to enhance games for better resolution, framerate etc and it was all free, as it should.

Last edited:
I'm hoping Bowser's Fury is a fairly significant expansion and has a nice variety of level types. Vanilla 3D World is a spectacular game.

Just maybe SMG2 is included and if you beat SMG1 you unlock the second one? Gotta have faith in Nintendo.

Nintendo has done some awesome surprises in the past, but I would give that less than a 5% chance of happening. Would be ecstatic if they prove me wrong.

Last edited:

PhoenixTank

You mean the Motion+? I don't think Galaxy 2 used that.

I was trying to think of stuff Galaxy 2 did that Galaxy 1 wouldn't have been able to do and I can't really think of anything.
Definitely no mention of Motion+ on the box and likewise can't remember anything motion related that was enhanced. Memory fades, though.

Just maybe SMG2 is included and if you beat SMG1 you unlock the second one? Gotta have faith in Nintendo.
I think you meant to say that when you beat Galaxy 1 it unlocks the Metroid Prime Trilogy.

StormCell

We finally arrived. Finally.

Oh, and I already pre-ordered.

Also, I kinda feel like something is missing from the collection as well, but it isn't Mario Galaxy 2 I am thinking of. That's because later next year you can pick up Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 as a package. Calling it now.

Instead, I feel like 3D World should be part of the All-Stars collection. LOL But notice the only thing they're adding any content for completely missed the holiday schedule this year -- they were planning to release it in November, I believe. Oh well.

Ogbert

I'm hoping Bowser's Fury is a fairly significant expansion and has a nice variety of level types. Vanilla 3D World is a spectacular game.

Agree, but I’m not going to get my hopes up. It could just as easily be a throwaway multiplayer mode, like the balloon hunt in Odyssey.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Updated Game & Watch is cool, especially at that price. $50? I know what I'm buying the 4-year-old for Christmas.

3D collection is cool because now I can play Sunshine. A 3D World port was inevitable and I'm glad more people will try it out. It's my fav 3D Mario. I won't get it at launch but maybe in a few years. All the more reason to retire the Wii U.

You mean the Motion+? I don't think Galaxy 2 used that.

I was trying to think of stuff Galaxy 2 did that Galaxy 1 wouldn't have been able to do and I can't really think of anything.
Definitely no mention of Motion+ on the box and likewise can't remember anything motion related that was enhanced. Memory fades, though.

I remember there was motion stuff with a gliding bird and also a balancing ball, but I'm not even certain that it used motion+ now I think about it...

Wow finally a worthwhile Direct! It’s been nearly an entire year. The only disappointing parts are the limited run/limited time releases. SM3DAS would be a huge Switch seller so it’s just leaving money on the table. Though that does give me some hope that an N64 emulated games is still on the table. Knowing Nintendo, it opens an opportunity to sell the games individually and up charge per game.

I am holding out hope that perhaps SMG2 and SM3DL are unlockables when you complete SMG and SM3DW. But I guess we’ll find out not too long from now since the release date is so soon.

Agree, but I’m not going to get my hopes up. It could just as easily be a throwaway multiplayer mode, like the balloon hunt in Odyssey.

I would say my lowest expectation would be a single level like a Champion's Road, but maybe they do a Yooka Laylee and the Impossible Lair type thing where somehow it gets easier with bonuses you pick up playing the rest of the game. My actual expectation would be a single world consisting of 8 levels with a hard castle stage.

Scotty W

Gold Member
I recall Miyamoto talking about a special Nintendo alarm clock he has been using for the past 30 some years. And the magnificent bastard finally came up with a way of making that into a game.

Fake

Pretty sad when modders put in more effort into the Mario 64 PC port through reverse engineering than Nintendo did for the Switch while having direct access to the original source code at their HQ.

Like I said before, the pandemic strike Nintendo this year so hard, so I was expecting this level of quality on those ports. Still, is a great collection.

I'll wait Digital Foundry get hands on those games btw.

StormCell

You are underestimating the Nintendo ability to not give a FUCK about what the fans want. It's the last thing they care about, we could send them 4 million petitions that we will buy Galaxy 2 10 times each and they would tell us to stop sending them bullshit.

Well if we're really going to go there, then I'd just like to say that Mario Galaxy 2 doesn't feel like it's missing at all because it plays very much like the original. The levels are arguably a little better, and Yoshi is an interesting twist. Overall, however, it's the same song and dance. It's so derivative and doesn't surprise me at all that it's not there. Just pick it up in 2021 bundled with Mario Galaxy when it goes on sale.

Intoxicate

Is the limited time availability of the 3D Allstar Collection their way of ensuring we have to buy proper remasters at the 40th anniversary 🤣👍

Kreen101

Very disappointed with this annoucement, as there is nothing that interests me. If Sunshine had been fixed the way they fixed Windwaker for the Wii U, then maybe. But otherwise I already have all of those games. So they really have NOTHING for the Holidays?

S0ULZB0URNE

MuxztbT.jpg
SAME GRAPHICS?! TERRIBLE NINTENDO!

StormCell

Is the limited time availability of the 3D Allstar Collection their way of ensuring we have to buy proper remasters at the 40th anniversary 🤣👍

It would be nice if they would do something like an Iwata Asks type of thing where they can explain the rationale behind the limited time thing. They did the same with Mario All-Stars on Wii. Seems like it was the same sort of thing with the Metroid Prime Trilogy as well.

Very disappointed with this annoucement, as there is nothing that interests me. If Sunshine had been fixed the way they fixed Windwaker for the Wii U, then maybe. But otherwise I already have all of those games. So they really have NOTHING for the Holidays?

You might need to find a new hobby or take up doing drugs or something. It's not the greatest announcement ever, but it sure beats nothing this year. Sit tight because Nintendo probably hasn't made all of their announcements. Also, don't expect anything huge like "BotW2 releasing in 2 weeks" because that title will get a ton of video exposure well in advance of release (you know it.). It's going to be a light holiday on all fronts it seems.

All of Nintendo's recent announcements have only been a few months (or weeks) out from the actual release. I wonder what caused their change in philosophy from "let's announce Metroid Prime 4 and Bayonetta 3 years before we can show a single screenshot" to this.

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
It pleases me that Super Mario 3D World will get a wider audience than it got on the Wii U

Awesome and greatly underappreciated game. Had an absolute ton of fun with it both single and multiplayer.

iconmaster

Banned
Btw, it's very interesting how short Nintendo's announcement windows have become in 2020. Origami King had two months between announcement and release; 3D All-Stars (not a brand new game, of course) gets only 15 days.

3D World is 5 months away, though.

lestar

I can understand why they skipped Galaxy 2, This is Nintendo, they won't sell a bundle of Mario 64 ($15), Mario Sunshine ($20), Galaxy 1 ($30) and Galaxy 2 ($30) for just $60, they probably release Galaxy 2 as DLC for $30 in the future

buizel

Banned
They couldn't make Mario 64 full screen? Also, no Galaxy and seemingly no framerate improvements, sigh.

That is why I give kudos where it's due to Xbox, all those patches to enhance games for better resolution, framerate etc and it was all free, as it should.

Dont worry you can play Mario 64 Widescreen on PC and hacked consoles like Wii, Wii U, PS3, PSP, Vita etc.

maxresdefault.jpg

you can also play multiplayer on those consoles and pc and its really fun!

40776_869edaf6bd8d1c5b260bbc97fb2a2f65779d95c5.png

play online multiplayer with retroarch on console/pc. very fun!

Stafford

Dont worry you can play Mario 64 Widescreen on PC and hacked consoles like Wii, Wii U, PS3, PSP, Vita etc.

maxresdefault.jpg

you can also play multiplayer on those consoles and pc and its really fun!

40776_869edaf6bd8d1c5b260bbc97fb2a2f65779d95c5.png

play online multiplayer with retroarch on console/pc. very fun!

That's great for sure. Many of this should have been in the Switch version. But Nintendo is gonna be Nintendo I guess.

and the price tag.

Is it truly 60 for the collection?

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Great direct. Nintendo is going to make me go bankrupt.

Quick thoughts:
  • Game & Watch is going to sell out and tough to find
  • New content in 3D World is great, shame it doesn't include 3D land.
  • Am I really going to buy a $99 RC Mario Kart? Probably...
  • Limited time on the Super Mario 35 is unfortunate (this is Mario Battle Royale lol)
  • I knew Galaxy 2 wouldn't be included but it is such a bizarre omission.
  • Wish Mario 64 included the DS content as well
  • Limited time release/limited physical print on 3D All Stars is strange to me. I am 100% digital...do I double dip? Was going digital the wrong choice on switch? The next console and all subsequent ones going forward need to be back compat like PS and Xbox.
  • Ready to win that pin set
  • I still want those Legos...

I think I'll hold off on the non-limited edition stuff and try to pick that up later.

I'm going to need some help if they do this again with Zelda next year.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
Well if we're really going to go there, then I'd just like to say that Mario Galaxy 2 doesn't feel like it's missing at all because it plays very much like the original. The levels are arguably a little better, and Yoshi is an interesting twist. Overall, however, it's the same song and dance. It's so derivative and doesn't surprise me at all that it's not there. Just pick it up in 2021 bundled with Mario Galaxy when it goes on sale.
In your opinion, most view it as the shining jewel of 3D platforming, thousands adore that game, it sold over 7 million, and it's the only 3D Mario game missing from that era in the collection.

Terrible. We all knew it was going to happen form the rumors but they managed to do it in a way that is even worse than anyone predicted. The bare minimum ports with no work on the graphics at all. There is already a better Mario 64 on Switch that runs fullscreen that was released after the source code leaked. Limiting a release like this is bad for game preservation, and there is no explanation as to why. You could already get Sunshine to run in 16:9 by changing like one line in an emulators settings.

I knew Galaxy 2 wasn’t going to be included, but I don’t understand the omission either. The Galaxy games were my favorite since SMB3. I’d really like to understand the logic. I mean, they included the Lost Levels in the original SMA.

Fake

I saw people talking about release limitation... how this apply to digital copy? Is this even possible?

StormCell

In your opinion, most view it as the shining jewel of 3D platforming, thousands adore that game, it sold over 7 million, and it's the only 3D Mario game missing from that era in the collection.

Super Mario 3D Land.

I mean, if I was doing the All-Stars collection I wouldn't have even limited it to just 3D. I'd have included up-rez'd versions of Mario 64, Mario Sunshine, New Super Mario Bros., New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, Super Mario 3D Land, New Super Mario Bros. Wii U Deluxe (yes, I know it's available separately, but why not buy it here?).

That's just me though. I would have also liked to see them touch up the older games, but that takes additional work and creating new stuff.

Kamina

Golden Boy
If Nintendo were to release another Direct with Metroid and Zelda next week we’d have a megaton that would draw a lot of attention and instantly negate the last months.

StormCell

If Nintendo were to release another Direct with Metroid and Zelda next week we’d have a megaton that would draw a lot of attention and instantly negate the last months.

lol Not likely to happen.

They couldn't even get 3D World out on time this year due to COVID. I'm not expecting anything but partner showcases for the next several months.

Bragr

Banned
Super Mario 3D Land.

I mean, if I was doing the All-Stars collection I wouldn't have even limited it to just 3D. I'd have included up-rez'd versions of Mario 64, Mario Sunshine, New Super Mario Bros., New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, Super Mario 3D Land, New Super Mario Bros. Wii U Deluxe (yes, I know it's available separately, but why not buy it here?).

That's just me though. I would have also liked to see them touch up the older games, but that takes additional work and creating new stuff.
But that's a handheld game, the mainline 3D Mario games are 64, Sunshine, Galaxy 1 & 2, and Odyssey.

3D Land & World is more like spinoffs, even though some would place World in the same category as the mainline 3D ones.

DS or 3DS games in this collection would feel out of place, I think, although some sort of New Super Mario Bros. collection would be nice.

Kamina

Golden Boy
lol Not likely to happen.

They couldn't even get 3D World out on time this year due to COVID. I'm not expecting anything but partner showcases for the next several months.
Dont get me wrong, I dont expect this at all. But if they did it would turn a lot of heads and remedy the barren times we had.

Bragr

Banned
We are all waiting for the Metroid Prime Trilogy. But it seems they are holding it back for Metroid Prime 4, I guess they are gonna use it to build-up towards Prime 4 sometime next year.

I can't wait to play Metroid Prime 1, 2 & 3 with the Switch pro controller, and not have to use the garbage Wii bullshit remotes and fucking GameCube controllers.

Fake

Funny you mention Zelda, beucase after seeing Mario 64 in that traillers I was about to say they coud bring Zelda from 64 anytime using the same tech used on this Mario collection.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Funny you mention Zelda, beucase after seeing Mario 64 in that traillers I was about to say they coud bring Zelda from 64 anytime using the same tech used on this Mario collection.
Ah, I’d prefer HD upgrades of the 3Ds Remakes instead honestly.

Top Bottom