• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Removes Controversial Fire Emblem Fates Conversation

Josh7289

These games are getting weird. Fire Emblem does seem to be moving down a different path than it followed before Awakening, doesn't it?

One of the female characters, Soleil, is attracted to women, and often gets flustered and weak in the knees when she's around them. She often fears that she can't be a "strong and cool woman" because of this. Later in the support conversations if you pair her up with the male protagonist, he spikes her drink with a "magic powder" that makes her see women as men and vice-versa to help her "practice" around women. This was done without her knowing, as she fails to recognize the protagonist at the start of the conversation. Once the magic wore off, she found herself attracted to the male protagonist, and ends up proposing to him, saying that she fell in love with the female version of him, but now loves him as a male.

post-38538-Friday-Ice-Cube-damn-gif-wtf-f-rjyQ.gif

Wh...why was that in the game in the first place? This is all kinds of fucked up.

Beth Cyra

I hate things being taken out, and I do fight for offensive stuff to stay.

That said as a Lesbian woman this makes me angry. Still it should stay in.

Im just very disappointed IS thought this was okay regardless of region.

blamite

Yeah, removing this is definitely the right move. I kind of can't believe it made it through for the Japanese version in the first place...

Is Treehouse really doing this one? I'm really surprised they're not going with 8-4 again given how overwhelmingly positive the reaction to Awakening's localization was... Unless they were just too busy with XCX/other stuff?

Kusagari

On a base level, the drugging seems like typical animal hijinks. Though, as someone else brought up, it doesn't even make sense how that would help her around women anyway.

The fact that the drugging effectively works as a "cure the gay" pill though makes it beyond fucked up.

Holy crap, probably best they didn't include that in the US release.

I agree that Nintendo's translation choices for the US audiences can be unnecessarily prudish, but this REALLY wouldn't fly in the West. 'Gay Therapy' is probably the last thing Nintendo wants associated with their brand.

Banned
When I read the title I was ready to post about how NoA ruins everything and is too conservative but after reading the OP and what the original scene was like, I'm on board with this. These Japanese writers are weird sometimes lol. <3

donny2112

When the original issue came up, and it was explained in detail what was going on, it was fine, but obviously rife for problems from people reading article titles and not researching the context. In the end, better to remove it altogether to avoid the inevitable poor understanding of what was going on. It was all a little tilt-your-head "Huh?" anyways, to begin with. :lol

gnexus

Yeah, I see this move as leaving a dumb subplot on the cutting room floor more so than some censorship thing.

I'll allow it. *bangs gavel*

sviri

Did you read the synopsis? it's super fucked up.

My mistake, yes I just read the linked article and am surprised that something like that was published by Nintendo anywhere. I know Japan has a culture that I sometimes fail to understand, but even this seems like a bit too much. Maybe something was lost in translation?

aadiboy

For everyone who is good with the dialogue being changed, do you guys take issue with the fact that Nintendo had that scene in the original version? Or do you have the mindset "As long as I don't see it, it's fine." I don't know, it seems like you guys aren't targeting the root of the problem, i.e. Nintendo of Japan having scenes like this in their games.

NoA should just redo most of Soleil's conversations, they're not really that good.

Foleo (pressing on how he's a girl) and Eponine's (literal Yaoi vs Yuri) supports with her in particular come to mind, and at least give her an S support with a female character because it makes no sense that she likes girls, but can't S with any of them

Cipherr

What in the actual fuck at that storyline. That is the most ridiculous shit ever.

Drug the gay away? Fuck outta here. Just more confirmation that most writing in gaming is fucking trash tier. Jesus...

While I'd rather the original script be left in and panned appropriately, if this is what NOA thinks they have to do, it's ultimately not a huge deal.

Dryk

I'm curious what they replaced the dialogue/story with. Also, this PR statement isn't that definitive, since "drugging" and "gay conversion" have very specific denotations/connotations that could mean some aspects of the storyline (from what I remember) have been left in. But I guess we'll find out.
Yeah that statement reads like they're dancing around it since they never specifically say whether that conversation is in the game or not.

For everyone who is good with the dialogue being changed, do you guys take issue with the fact that Nintendo had that scene in the original version? Or do you have the mindset "As long as I don't see it, it's fine." I don't know, it seems like you guys aren't targeting the root of the problem, i.e. Nintendo of Japan having scenes like this in their games.

Yeeeah, I had the same thought. The game just seems weird to me now, knowing that it was in it originally

When I was younger, a more hormonal me loved fanservice in games, but the older I get the more I realize how ridiculous it is.

StereoVsn

This was literally debunked and taken the incorrect way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iVFPheRegw

Here y'go. This is someone who can read japanese and explains it simply. Wherever this came from, someone got butt-hurt and took it the wrong, stupid way.

I'm shocked that people are actually so simple to get to jump on the bandwagon.

Hey, the mob got the pitchforks and torches already. Can't just go home with those things! I think either way this is somewhat amusing. If true, then WTF were they thinking originally and if false then that's a lot of indignation for what's basically a mistranslation.

Chrom

Is Treehouse really doing this one? I'm really surprised they're not going with 8-4 again given how overwhelmingly positive the reaction to Awakening's localization was... Unless they were just too busy with XCX/other stuff?

It's definitely being done by Treehouse. If I remember right, I don't think they even contacted 8-4.

L95

Wasn't there incest in one of the other games?

FE4/5 is the only game I can think of with explicit brother sister incest (by 'explicit' I mean they had children, and this is a very bad thing in FE4, lol)

FE4/5 were never localized though.

There are a handful of 'overly attached' brother sister relationships though, but they never do anything. (Raven/Priscilla, Klain/Clarine, Ares/Raquesis)

There is a handful of possible cousin pairs sprinkled across games.

Fates Spoilers:
The MC isn't actually related to any of the siblings except for Azura, who is MC's cousin, so Fates has little true blood incest, but it does have incest of the "thank goodess I'm not actually related to you" kind.

Beth Cyra

This was literally debunked and taken the incorrect way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iVFPheRegw

Here y'go. This is someone who can read japanese and explains it simply. Wherever this came from, someone got butt-hurt and took it the wrong, stupid way.

I'm shocked that people are actually so simple to get to jump on the bandwagon.
From what i just watched this removes the drugging context.

Still its very uncomfy she goes from Lesbian to totally loving him as a male and being okay with it.

TriAceJP

It's such a anime troupe.

The whole thing is silly, but so is the game. I don't care either way because the conversations in these last two games have been so goofy that you couldn't take them seriously.

I'll just ignore like I've ignored the rest of the party conversations.

No, and she isn't really gay in the first place.
It's a terrible support convo (as are many) but I never really got the outrage.

if you saw the trump thread you must know that sporting an anime avatar means members of this forum as well as moderators for some reason expect that you will have this reaction and will proceed to dismiss any opinion you may have on a count of you "holding strangely conservative beliefs" and hate muslims too or something

Pretty sure I remember this coming up before months back, and I'm pretty sure I remember it being a misunderstanding due to a questionable translation.

Hylian7

...why the hell was this even in the game in the first place?!

Good on NoA, I'm absolutely okay with the removal of this.

Sakura

What in the actual fuck at that storyline. That is the most ridiculous shit ever.

Drug the gay away? Fuck outta here. Just more confirmation that most writing in gaming is fucking trash tier. Jesus...

Again, she isn't gay.
I don't even believe she can hook up with any female characters, yet can marry a number of male characters aside from the protagonist, and they don't "drug" her.

Pretty sure I remember this coming up before months back, and I'm pretty sure I remember it being a misunderstanding due to a questionable translation.

you may be right, but the plaid shirt wearing white san francisco journalists know better than those silly backwards japanese am i right GAF? where's my mod status

Producer

if you saw the trump thread you must know that sporting an anime avatar means members of this forum as well as moderators for some reason expect that you will have this reaction and will proceed to dismiss any opinion you may have on a count of you "holding strangely conservative beliefs" and hate muslims too or something

Trump thread..? Like, Donald Trump?

you may be right, but the plaid shirt wearing white san francisco journalists know better than those silly backwards japanese am i right GAF? where's my mod status

i'm assuming you feel personally insulted, but having an angry meltdown and taking passive aggressive shots isn't a good look

Top Bottom