• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo removes credit card payment option from Wii U, 3DS eShop in EU and UK

Bullet Club

Nintendo removes credit card payment option from Wii U, 3DS eShop in EU and UK

Starting in September, the Wii U and Nintendo 3DS versions of the Nintendo eShop will no longer allow customers in the EU and UK to use credit cards for purchases directly through their devices. The change only affects the company’s two older systems and not the Nintendo Switch’s game store.

Moving forward, adding eShop funds in the EU and UK with a credit card will need to be done from a computer via a Nintendo Account, rather than the previous option of using a credit card directly through the eShop application installed on each system.

Nintendo of Europe announced the upcoming change in a brief tweet, and neither the tweet nor the support article it linked to offered much explanation for the sudden change. As some replies to that tweet point out, the September deadline does line up with the compliance date for the European Commission’s new rules for payment service providers, however.

This phase of that rule change includes new requirements for stronger customer authentication for electronic payment transactions and secure communication by payment service providers, something that the older systems in place on the Wii U and 3DS may not have been capable of on their own.

Source: Gamasutra

Vawn

Banned
Nintendo starting the close down of these systems already. 🙄

Not exactly.

The laws in these regions require a security process that wasn't available on 3DS and Wii U. Nintendo just didn't think it was worthwhile at this point to change it to accommodate the laws.

You can still purchase cards to make purchases in these regions. Other regions, such as the US and Japan, are unaffected.

Dunki

We have New Credit card laws in September. They Do not fulfill the New regulations and thougght it's not worth it anymore

Noooooo. 3ds is my main system as of now. Yet to play mario and luigi, layton and dragon quest games.

I am using a us console. Hopefully it does not affect it as well in near future.

sublimit

Banned
I wish Nintendo had some type of voucher cards like Sony does with PSN cards that we could purchase in stores and add money to our e-wallets.

jts

...hate me...
I wish Nintendo had some type of voucher cards like Sony does with PSN cards that we could purchase in stores and add money to our e-wallets.
Yeah, they could call them Nintendo eShop cards and use a variety of Mario characters plastered on them.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I hope they do not close the Wii U eShop any time close. Our game is on the finish line (content complete now), but we want to take some time for polishing it. Would be a shame if they suddenly close doors and all the work was for naught.

Top Bottom